Pre-Game Talk: Training Camp/Exhibition game talk Part II(camp 7/13, exhibition games 7/28-7/30)

DanishAvsfan

Aug 27, 2007
I think Jones falling had more to do with him being a d-man and the others being forwards honestly. I remember there was talk about forwards being easier to project. Anyway I think that Mack and Jones are the two best players from that draft with Barkov slightly below them. I prefer Mack now that he is on the Avs however.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think Jones falling had more to do with him being a d-man and the others being forwards honestly. I remember there was talk about forwards being easier to project. Anyway I think that Mack and Jones are the two best players from that draft with Barkov slightly below them. I prefer Mack now that he is on the Avs however.

Yeah, I think that was the main reason. The Avs weren't the only team to believe in taking the forward over the defenseman at the top of the draft back then.

The only head scratcher was Tampa taking Drouin over Jones, but that could easily just be chalked up to a poor decision, or a scout/team falling in love with a player. Happens every year multiple times.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Yeah, I think that was the main reason. The Avs weren't the only team to believe in taking the forward over the defenseman at the top of the draft back then.

The only head scratcher was Tampa taking Drouin over Jones, but that could easily just be chalked up to a poor decision, or a scout/team falling in love with a player. Happens every year multiple times.

I was really scratching my head on that one. Especially since they needed an upgrade on defense.

I think they thought he'd plug and play into MSL's role.

Reactions: Foppa2118

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

I mean at the time I could understand taking Drouin. I mean he was coming off 105 points in 49 games in junior and very much looked like a potential franchise type winger. Obviously in hindsight he was a poor pick but I get it at the time.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Certainly can't rule out the possibility that Yzerman and his brain trust became way too focused on one player, that does seem to be a tendency of his. The Bolts also took Slater Koekkoek with the tenth overall pick in the previous year's draft, a draft that will definitely go down in the annals of NHL history as one of the worst.

Regardless, you know he regrets that decision now, especially after Drouin turned into a giant headache for Tampa.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I mean at the time I could understand taking Drouin. I mean he was coming off 105 points in 49 games in junior and very much looked like a potential franchise type winger. Obviously in hindsight he was a poor pick but I get it at the time.

Yeah it wasn't that egregious at the time. A tad controversial, but it wasn't looked at as a bad pick.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I'm on board with this use of crowd noise. :laugh:

I've really only watched the Avs game so far, but I can't say I'm a fan of the fake crowd noise and horn. Especially when it's delayed by a couple seconds. Just seems cheesy.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Got bored so I put together MacKinnon and Rantanen’s point totals from the last three seasons against some of the contending teams in the West.

MacKinnon Blues:
15 points: 12 games

Mackinnon Edmonton:
7 points: 7 games

MacKinnon Vegas:
8 points: 5 games

MacKinnon Dallas:
14 points: 13 games

Rantanen Blues:
12 points: 12 games

Rantanen Edmonton:
14 points: 10 games

Rantanen Vegas:
2 points: 3 games

Rantanen Dallas:
8 points: 11 games

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Got bored so I put together MacKinnon and Rantanen’s point totals from the last three seasons against some of the contending teams in the West.

MacKinnon Blues:
15 points: 12 games

Mackinnon Edmonton:
7 points: 7 games

MacKinnon Vegas:
8 points: 5 games

MacKinnon Dallas:
14 points: 13 games

Rantanen Blues:
12 points: 12 games

Rantanen Edmonton:
14 points: 10 games

Rantanen Vegas:
2 points: 3 games

Rantanen Dallas:
8 points: 11 games

Out of curiosity, how many of those points against the Blues came in the last two years after ROR was traded there?

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Out of curiosity, how many of those points against the Blues came in the last two years after ROR was traded there?

MacK had a bad year against them in 18-19 (0 points in 2 games), but crushed them this year with 8 points in 4 games.

Rants had 2 points in 3 games in 18-19 against the Blues, then was PPG against them this year.

Last edited:

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I'm on board with this use of crowd noise. :laugh:

I've really only watched the Avs game so far, but I can't say I'm a fan of the fake crowd noise and horn. Especially when it's delayed by a couple seconds. Just seems cheesy.
I also noticed PxP guys being very late on goal calls which throws me off big time.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
MacK had a bad year against them in 18-19, but crushed them this year with 8 points in 4 games.

Rants had 2 points in 3 games in 18-19 against the Blues, then was PPG against them this year.

Interesting. I think MacKinnon likes playing against his buddies.

His best pts/game percentage is agaisnt Tampa with 20 points in 14 games. I haven't noticed as much energy in his game against them since Drouin left though.

He doesn't have great stats against Pittsburgh though. I think Sid gets in his head a little too much.

Possibly related to Crosby, he does well against the Caps though with 17 points in 13 games.

Other teams he's not as good against are LA, Philly, Florida, and Boston.

Nathan MacKinnon Career Splits | Hockey-Reference.com

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Interesting. I think MacKinnon likes playing against his buddies.

His best pts/game percentage is agaisnt Tampa with 20 points in 14 games. I haven't noticed as much energy in his game against them since Drouin left though.

He doesn't have great stats against Pittsburgh though. I think Sid gets in his head a little too much.

Possibly related to Crosby, he does well against the Caps though with 17 points in 13 games.

Other teams he's not as good against are LA, Philly, Florida, and Boston.

Nathan MacKinnon Career Splits | Hockey-Reference.com

Time for Mackinnon to make more friends so he can dominate them all.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I also noticed PxP guys being very late on goal calls which throws me off big time.

to be fair, it is a bit hard to tell without the crowd and goal light. It seems a bit hard for me to catch myself at times.

Overall, I don’t even really notice the fake crowd noise too much, it seems alright to me.

Reactions: McMetal

Avs91

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2013
Wyoming
I highly expect the ‘production value’ to be much better in these elimination/round robin games. More amplified crowd noise in key moments, better timing on the horns, etc.

Didn’t I read somewhere that teams will get their own horns and goal songs? This should be for the ‘home’ team only IMO

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad