GDT: Training Camp and Scrimmages

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Any words on Varlamov? He's for sure coming back right? Varlamov would be a way bigger loss than O'Reilly if he doesn't come back, we can't exactly run with Giguere as the starter.
He left his team in Russia a day or two ago.
Should report in soon (if not already)

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
So JC Lipon got a camp invite but we can't sign him because of the lock-out and now he gets drafted or...?

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
He goes into next years draft.

Poor luck for us.

That's what I thought... Maybe we draft him if they like him at camp. Where is he projected to go?

E: If only he was a center and a bit smaller we would definetely draft him a couple rounds earlier than expected.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I saw a tweet earlier saying Kovalchuk is the only NHLer still left, so I imagine Varlamov is on his way if he isn't in Denver already.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Mile High Hockey Re-Tweeted this just a couple of minutes ago.

Tim Krezman ‏@hockeynut93

Mark Olver, David van der Gulik, Tyson Barrie, Mike Sgarbossa, Stefan Elliot, Patrick Bordeleau all off to Avs training camp
Retweeted by MHH

I do think that it's curious that Gaunce isn't getting a chance at Training Camp. At least not yet as his name hasn't been reported. But I remember hearing that Sacco doesn't seem to "like his game" or whatnot, which I think is bunk. Sometimes I think NHL coaches and even fans of teams, forget what a Defensemen's FIRST priority is, which is DEFENSE. And I think that Gaunce's game is molded to be a more defensive oriented player first.

Last edited:

falconski

Unregistered User
Jan 21, 2008

I do think that it's curious that Gaunce isn't getting a chance at Training Camp. At least not yet as his name hasn't been reported. But I remember hearing that Sacco doesn't seem to "like his game" or whatnot, which I think is bunk. Sometimes I think NHL coaches and even fans of teams, forget what a Defensemen's FIRST priority is, which is DEFENSE. And I think that Gaunce's game is molded to be a more defensive oriented player first.
may just be the AHLers they think have a shot at making the team as well, Barrie at least, and I guess elliot are at least ahead of him

not sure why bordeleau got an invite though, McLeod's still in the lineup (I think there's a shot VDG takes Mitchell's spot, Sgarbossa and Olver make sense in general)

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca

I think Gaunce's fate was sealed this year when we signed all these defensive Dman. Barrie and Elliot will have a better chance to make the team because they bring something we lack, whereas Gaunce is redundant. I'd like for us to trade him to give him a shot somewhere, maybe for a winger prospect of similar value as Siemens will likely get a shot before him as well.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Bringing Sgarbossa to camp should be interesting for sure. He's certainly not doing bad in the AHL. I'd like to see where he is speed wise and what not compared to our NHLer's. I don't really see Olver or Sgarbossa making the team out of camp. I think it's more of an evaluation as to whether which of them can come up and play due to possible injury. Or if it takes O'Reilly a while to come back, Sgarbossa or Olver could possibly hold his spot till he comes back.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I would be surprised if more than one of those guys make the team, considering the meat wall of one-way deals that stand in their way.

thedoctor

                    
Aug 28, 2007

I can't figure out what they're up with Gaunce either. I keep waiting for them to give him a serious chance in a training camp or with a callup...and it never comes. Is he really that bad? Whenever I see him -- admittedly very few times -- I've been pretty happy with his all around game.

The parallels to how Boychuk was handled are too obvious not to mention...

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The only player I seeing that will 'make' the team is Olver. Until O'Reilly comes back he will be the 3rd line center, after that he can be moved to wing on the 4th line.

Sgarbossa has an outside chance, but he probably would be best suited to finishing the year in Lake Erie.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

I wouldn't read too much into it considering Malone didn't get invited as well.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Malone didn't get a call? That's odd.

Same thing I said about Gaunce, we have plenty of guys which fill Malone's shoes right now.

In reality, Olver will be 13th forward, Sgarbossa will try to upend someone's spot and get sent back to the AHL and tear it up more. Bordeleau will get a chance to show the staff if he can do anything but skate better than most goons in case McLeod gets injured... and Barrie/Elliott will try to share 7th defender with Zanon or Hunwick.

I expect only Olver will make the team.

There's simply no reason to call everyone up when the Monsters are doing well and we have a short camp.

CoachBadkitten

Matt Hunwick
Jul 25, 2012
Colorado
Mike Chambers ‏@MChambersDP

Stastny, Downie and newcomers Parenteau and Mitchell among those #Avalanche at today's informal skate. Varlamov due back 2night, Jiggy says

member 116861

I'm surprised that Pock didn't get a chance during training camp. Malone and Gaunce as well but it doesn't shock me as much as Pock. Also why is Bordeleau getting a shot? I'd rather not waste a roster spot on him.

I'm so pissed that Malone isn't getting a shot. :cry:

BoxOfChocolates

Mar 7, 2010
New numbers:

Mike Chambers ‏@MChambersDP
@akadubin Yes. Mitchell is No. 7, Parenteau No. 15 and Zanon, the big-bearded one, No. 4. Met each 2day and was very impressed #character

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad