Training Camp Aftermath Thread

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
I'm not sure why that's the only option. If Hunt has to be here, he'd be better suited as the 7th D. Marincin shouldn't have been sent down over Klefbom.

Marincin - Petry
Nikitin - Fayne
Ference - Schultz
Hunt

Based on skill and experience, it should have been our D core coming into this season. Now, I understand they wanted to give Nurse the 9 games, and I pray to god it won't be more than that. That allows for sending one of Marincin of Klefbom down, and based on play, it should have been Klefbom. They wanted to give him a shot, and that's okay. Nurse will be sent down after the 9 game stint, which hopefully won't take too long.

This is actually a spot that I need to ask about. Is it 9 games played by the player, or is it the first 9 games that the Oilers play before he has to be sent down?

If I have to give Hunt credit, he did outplay Aulie and would better suit in filling in on our PP, where we lacked in the pre-season.

I honestly think this has to do with giving Nurse that 9 game stint. Give him some xp in the bigs and keep that hunger strong. I also think they gave it to Klefbom to see how he does in the bigs. They know what they have in Marincin, and I have no doubt he will be back shortly for good.
This is more about seeing the forest for the trees, and it will all smooth itself out shortly IMO.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
I honestly think this has to do with giving Nurse that 9 game stint. Give him some xp in the bigs and keep that hunger strong. I also think they gave it to Klefbom to see how he does in the bigs. They know what they have in Marincin, and I have no doubt he will be back shortly for good.
This is more about seeing the forest for the trees, and it will all smooth itself out shortly IMO.

Yeah, I've come tot his conclusion as well. Let them feel it out a bit. Not a fan of Hunt starting over both players tomorrow night though. I still can't rationalize it to a point that I'm content.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Also, I'm happy that Scrivens is going to start tomorrow. I'm in his camp still. Do we give him consistent time as starter, or are we going to go back and forth?

UncleRJ

Sep 26, 2007

This is the stuff you do in preseason before the points actually count. Given the parity in the league now, even losing one point "testing someone out" is too costly.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
plus brad hunt does exactly nothing better than nurse

Rafters

Aug 10, 2003
Medicine Hat
Visit site
I think they will try to stretch Nurse out over 20 games and give him an opportunity to also do much more strength and condition with the oilers trainers as well...difficult to add bulk during the season when u r playing 30 mins a night in junior.....but playing every 2nd game and hitting the gym everyday should help

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
shoulda put Nurse in there for his first NHL game on opening night against Calgary with all the 1984 boys back in town. Atmosphere at the game will probably be great, something he would remember for a long time. Shame that he has to miss it for Brad Hunt.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
It's a complete disgrace that hunt starts over nurse/Klef. I'm disgusted right now.

I feel the same way... but people have been down on the d a lot lately for not accumulating a lot of points. Perhaps that's the reason they are giving Hunt an opportunity? I'm a fan a solid defensive D, though. So I'd very much rather have either Klef or Nurse. Not to mention, they are the more highly touted prospects, so they should be the ones getting the looks.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
The Oilers had one of, if not THE, lowest scoring defensive core in the entire league, a huge part of the problem was not being able to get the puck up to the forwards. Plus, Hunt has been practicing with PP2.

I'm not saying it's the right move, but I see the logic behind it.

Valic

BOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 12, 2007
Canada
You'd argue those two are both better than Nikitin?

Marincin? Yes. Klefbom? Maybe.

Nikitin was bad the last two years, ask any Columbus fan. He was the weak link on the Russian Olympic team. He was paired with Belov the entire tournament and Belov was superior by far.

So right now, we have a guy who was a healthy scratch on a borderline East Playoff team who was worse than Belov by a noticeable margin when they were put in the same situation.

We have no idea if we're getting 3 years ago Nikita or a lesser Belov. Let's hope it's the first and not the former. So as it stands, Marincin has had much more recent success, and Klefbom had glimpses last year that exceed what Nikitin was the last two years.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
The Oilers had one of, if not THE, lowest scoring defensive core in the entire league, a huge part of the problem was not being able to get the puck up to the forwards. Plus, Hunt has been practicing with PP2.

so if they're going to scratch nurse and klefbom in favor of hunts "production" why the hell are either of them even on the team?

If hunt was going to be a regular dman relied on for scoring, we probably should have picked up a real number 7 instead of scratching the only two dmen on the roster that need to be developed. Klefbom would be better served playing top minutes in OKC.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012

Our lack of being able to create an effective PP hurt a lot of production overall I think. However, Marincin and Petry were our most offensively effective pairing last year in general. We were scored on less and scored more. But Petry is solid and if paired with someone like Nikitin/Nurse/Klefbom, it could be as good.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Marincin? Yes. Klefbom? Maybe.

Nikitin was bad the last two years, ask any Columbus fan. He was the weak link on the Russian Olympic team. He was paired with Belov the entire tournament and Belov was superior by far.

So right now, we have a guy who was a healthy scratch on a borderline East Playoff team who was worse than Belov by a noticeable margin when they were put in the same situation.

We have no idea if we're getting 3 years ago Nikita or a lesser Belov. Let's hope it's the first and not the former. So as it stands, Marincin has had much more recent success, and Klefbom had glimpses last year that exceed what Nikitin was the last two years.

I thought Nikitin looked great in the pre-season. I don't get the Belov comparison though. He had tremendous skill but was not adapted to the NA game, which destroyed his consistency. If we had a consistent, better adapted version of Belov that would be pretty good.

McDreamy

Losing credibility
Feb 25, 2009

If that's the train of thought I would hope MacT would have brought someone other than Hunt in to help with scoring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad