Training Camp Aftermath Thread

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Hahahaha. Glad to help. :)

Count me in with the folks that would want to add Brodziak. More NHL C depth is vital if the cost is small. Acton isn't a solution even as a fill in.

I hope Marincin is back up soon. Hunt really can't be counted on for top 6 NHL minutes.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
In my opinion, we are seeing the outcome of the Tambo days.....still.

This team has had to fill so many holes. Pretty much in every position.

It would be great if MacT could fill ALL the gaping holes that were left behind by Mr. Dithers, but in the time he's been here there has definitely been a vast improvment on signing needed players.

Wish we would've gotten a seasoned 2C, but you can only do so much.

I like where this club is heading and am excited about the full cupboards in the minors we currently have.

Drai looks like a possible stick.
Nurse will go down after 9, and Marincin will be ready to step in.
Unless Petry, Ference, and Nikitin show their worth.

Then this D might be a tough nut to crack.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
In my opinion, we are seeing the outcome of the Tambo days.....still.

This team has had to fill so many holes. Pretty much in every position.

It would be great if MacT could fill ALL the gaping holes that were left behind by Mr. Dithers, but in the time he's been here there has definitely been a vast improvment on signing needed players.

Wish we would've gotten a seasoned 2C, but you can only do so much.

I like where this club is heading and am excited about the full cupboards in the minors we currently have.

Drai looks like a possible stick.
Nurse will go down after 9, and Marincin will be ready to step in.
Unless Petry, Ference, and Nikitin show their worth.

Then this D might be a tough nut to crack.

Look at the Islanders lineup from last season and this season.

"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent. Used to build monuments of nothingness. Those who excel in it seldom excel in anything else but excuses." I think thats a fit for Oiler management.

Neatman

Mar 9, 2011

"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent. Used to build monuments of nothingness. Those who excel in it seldom excel in anything else but excuses." I think thats a fit for Oiler management.

You really want to use the Islanders as an example of managerial success? Maybe wait for them to actually win some games. If you hadnt noticed, they got smoked in a bad trade, ended up as a possible/likely lottery team with no pick, and had no choice but to go all in on this year.

They certainly revamped their team, but a little early for fireworks.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
You really want to use the Islanders as an example of managerial success? Maybe wait for them to actually win some games. If you hadnt noticed, they got smoked in a bad trade, ended up as a possible/likely lottery team with no pick, and had no choice but to go all in on this year.

They certainly revamped their team, but a little early for fireworks.

The whole point is they did something. Those things being something almost everyone on this board wanted. They added both Kulemin and Grabovski and traded for Boychuk. How ecstatic would Oiler fans be right now if we had landed those guys?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The whole point is they did something. Those things being something almost everyone on this board wanted. They added both Kulemin and Grabovski and traded for Boychuk. How ecstatic would Oiler fans be right now if we had landed those guys?

Dallas Eakins is still coaching, so not very.

Plus that would involve a lot of cap flexibility that we don't have.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

We had it before we signed Nikitin, Pouliot, Fayne. We still would have needed a LHD but our forwards would have been done for the next 3-4 years.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Draisaitl-Purcell
Kulemin-Grabovski-Yakupov
Hendricks-Gordon-Joensuu
Arcobello

Klefbom-Boychuk
Marincin-Petry
Ference-Schultz

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
We had it before we signed Nikitin, Pouliot, Fayne. We still would have needed a LHD but our forwards would have been done for the next 3-4 years.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Draisaitl-Purcell
Kulemin-Grabovski-Yakupov
Hendricks-Gordon-Joensuu
Arcobello

Klefbom-Boychuk
Marincin-Petry
Ference-Schultz

I'm not sure why you wouldn't reverse lines 2 and 3. Plus where's Leddy?

UglyStupidAds

Sep 17, 2005
Edmonton
Hearing all this Brodziak talk but Minny HF has him pencilled in as 4th line C
I'm not sure about the genesis of the Brodziak talk but at a cap hit of $2.8 M playing on the fourth line Brodziak it might make sense for the Wild to trade him. That said the Wild currently have over $5 M in cap space so they're not in any urgent need to do it.

Also back to the topic...one thing that sticks out for me is the opportunity given. Some players (Klefbom for example) got prime linemates whereas others (Marincin) played with weaker pairings.

There's no question that this could have an impact on the visual of a player's performance and it certainly makes me wonder about other instances where this kind of imbalance could be influencing decisions...

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
The fact Acton is still on the roster has me gravely concerned about how serious the coaches are about proper change and accoutability. Nothing I have read suggested this guy EARNED a spot on the team in the preseason

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
The fact Acton is still on the roster has me gravely concerned about how serious the coaches are about proper change and accoutability. Nothing I have read suggested this guy EARNED a spot on the team in the preseason

I could care less who our 14th forward or 7th dman is. The issue will be with how much the coaching staff uses them. I would hope that they are just healthy scratches and play less than 10 games combined.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
I could care less who our 14th forward or 7th dman is. The issue will be with how much the coaching staff uses them. I would hope that they are just healthy scratches and play less than 10 games combined.

So, you do care? ;)

Like I've said, I'm hoping he's just press box fodder. At least that's the impression I get so far.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

Hmmmm. Nice poem.

"Much I marvelled this ungainly fowl to hear discourse so plainly,
Though its answer little meaning—little relevancy bore;
For we cannot help agreeing that no living human being
Ever yet was blessed with seeing bird above his chamber door—
Bird or beast upon the sculptured bust above his chamber door,
With such name as “Nevermore.”"

:D

Last edited:

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Not a fair comparison. And to answer your question for ***** and giggles, yes, Yak did earn a spot on the team. Did anybody stand out so much as to bump him off the team?

He had some fire in his belly.

Hopefully he keeps it going.

Yaks definitely earned a spot.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
#SignPenner
#WaiveAction #WaiveArcobello

This would be a good line... gives Yak lots of space to roam.

Penner-Draisaitl-Yakupov

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
If for some reason the Oilers traded Marincin and Nurse were sent to the Soo...

Schultz
Nikitin
Petry
Fayne
Ference
Klefbom
Hunt
Aulie

This would be a scary terrible depth chart. It makes sense to give BOTH Klefbom and Marincin time in OKC this season to work on their offensive games. I'd happily see them rotate if Nurse proves capable of being a top 4 guy right now.

My hope is actually that the D chart looks like this by Nov 15 or so:

Fayne
Schultz
Nurse
Nikitin
Petry
Ference
Marincin
Klefbom
Hunt
Aulie

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
I love how people still mention Penner like they haven't watched hockey in the past 5 years.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

Great point and it should be discussed a lot more than it has been. How can a last place team that isn't expected to be anywhere near a playoff spot this year have issues with their cap flexibility? Reminds me a lot of 2009-10.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I love how people still mention Penner like they haven't watched hockey in the past 5 years.

Penner is still a good player when he wants to be, he just doesn't really care or have a passion for hockey, he'd rather be eating pancakes or learning how to juggle instead of training. The best hockey Penner played when he was young and hungry when he just broke into the league and after MacT just ripped him a new *** in the media. It also helped that we had Horcoff there to babysit him making sure he was working out properly and not snacking on too many cookies. He just infuriates any and all coaches that have him, because he has the tools to be a really good hockey player and they all know it, but he just squanders his natural gifts and talent.

Penner is at that point where he's so used to coaches screaming at him he doesn't even care anymore, he's rich now and clearly would rather be doing something other then playing hockey for a living. Unless he just finds a deep rooted passion and love for hockey again and a commitment to the lifestyle in terms of nutrition and training we should stay as far away as possible from Penner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad