Training Camp 2016-17 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
You think Fayne was better defensively than guys like Simpson and Gryba? To me he was struggling a lot last night. There was nothing assertive about his game and he got beat wide atleast once. Gryba ended up playing over 19mins while Fayne got less ice time than everyone on D.

Ideally we would have Fayne and Gryba playing #6 \ #7 on the team with Gryba drawing in on semi regular basis.

I thought he was on par with them. About same amount of mistakes as them. But none of the tire fire moments in our end happened ith him on ice IIRC. He was assertive by jumping up in play, pinched hard down low a couple of times (and one pinch near the goalline kept puck in and almost led to a goal). He was also making some pretty ballsy passes on break out instead of going off glass and out. He made a number of fumbles with the puck but Ill chalk it up to preseason rust. Atleast he had mindset to make risky plays

We need a lot more of those plays. Our D need to pinch WAY more. Watch a Calgary game and their D are almost forwards in O zone. They pinch a ton

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I'm trying not to put too much stock into preseason as I recall Davidson looked horrible last year, but ended playing a key role as the regular season wore on. I'm still inclined to keep Reinhart around for depth, but he better start showing a bit more.

The thing with Davidson is that he was getting rave reviews in AHL as their #1 D. he was also good in brief NHL stint year before. Reinhart has been meh in AHL and meh in NHL. Its a gamble. But if he doesnt turn out in NHL very soon his value is going to plummet. We have a clone of him in Simpson (and also Musil). TBH I dont think there is much of a gap with him and Simpson

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
The thing with Davidson is that he was getting rave reviews in AHL as their #1 D. he was also good in brief NHL stint year before. Reinhart has been meh in AHL and meh in NHL. Its a gamble. But if he doesnt turn out in NHL very soon his value is going to plummet. We have a clone of him in Simpson (and also Musil). TBH I dont think there is much of a gap with him and Simpson

I don't recall Davidson being much more than adequate in the A but I could be wrong. But with TM bringing an uptempo/possession style game Reinharts game doesn't transition well and makes his acquisition that much more curious.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I don't recall Davidson being much more than adequate in the A but I could be wrong. But with TM bringing an uptempo/possession style game Reinharts game doesn't transition well and makes his acquisition that much more curious.

Davidson's game took off in 2014 and he was #1D for OKC during the 2014-15 playoffs.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
How has Kassian looked lately in games?

pretty meh last night especially when compared to guys like Pitlick, Maroon, Lander and Slepychev. Maybe he just isnt that desperate since he has a spot locked up unlike the others mentioned above.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
I wonder if Chia goes after Hutchinson if he shakes loose and is placed on waivers. I would be pretty disappointed if he didn't. I don't mind Gustavsson but Hutchinson is a clear upgrade. Serviceable backup that can perhaps become a starter eventually.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I wonder if Chia goes after Hutchinson if he shakes loose and is placed on waivers. I would be pretty disappointed if he didn't. I don't mind Gustavsson but Hutchinson is a clear upgrade. Serviceable backup that can perhaps become a starter eventually.

I am really hoping this happens. But I expect the Jets will probably run with 3 goalies to not lose him.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
I am really hoping this happens. But I expect the Jets will probably run with 3 goalies to not lose him.
Agreed, I doubt Winnipeg risks it but you never know I guess. Another goalie I'm interested in is Mike Condon. Rumours out there that some western conference teams are interested in him (the rumour is posted on the main boards), wouldn't mind having him over Gustavsson either.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006

JF Berube another good option. Although the Isles may run the 3 goalies again.

Hellberg would be decent too, Rangers have goaltending depth.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Davidson has defied typical development as a defensive prospect. Most guys (Klefbom perfect example) have the tools and eventually it just clicks and they make big jumps but then have real troubles with consistency until older.

Davidson has been extremely consistent and linear in his development, always up with his biggest jump obviously being at the NHl level last year. He only hit a snag when he missed time and recovery from testicular cancer. Very curious what his top end will be since he has exceeded all expectations.

golgoXIII

Apr 2, 2007
reinhart got 3 pts in the last 4 game and play pretty well i think you Oilers fan are to tough on him and i'm pretty sure he will play all season

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I thought he was on par with them. About same amount of mistakes as them. But none of the tire fire moments in our end happened ith him on ice IIRC. He was assertive by jumping up in play, pinched hard down low a couple of times (and one pinch near the goalline kept puck in and almost led to a goal). He was also making some pretty ballsy passes on break out instead of going off glass and out. He made a number of fumbles with the puck but Ill chalk it up to preseason rust. Atleast he had mindset to make risky plays

We need a lot more of those plays. Our D need to pinch WAY more. Watch a Calgary game and their D are almost forwards in O zone. They pinch a ton

Lol.

That's why they are not generally considered a good team.

They generally pinch too much.

I would actually say Edmonton and Calgary have a similar level of defense overall now but they have opposite problem the Oilers have.

They need a minute munching guy that can shut down other teams. We need a minute munching offensive defender.

I am a huge Elliott fan but expect his save percentage to plummet with the number of high quality scoring chances the flames leak because they cheat/pinch for offense consistently.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

RNH+Versteeg not skating, so its' looking like
Maroon-Caggiula- Yak 3rd line.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Not sure if serious.

I don't think Reinhart will make the team, but I would agree with the poster that the fans are too hard on him. If you take out that first game, he has been good.

Reinhart will likely play in the NHL this season at some point. I also don't mind keeping him in camp for now since the experience is valuable and he's an important prospect. We definitely want him to hit his potential. This is similar to how we brought Klefbom to practice with the team even though he wasn't allowed to play with us yet, and at that time a lot of the fans were down on him.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Not sure what Stauffer's on about, he's laying it on pretty thick about how "Today could very well be the day we've all been waiting for" in regards to...what, I can't say.

He definitely inferred that something more could be happening today than just the 3 recent cuts we already know about.

Yakupov deal? Maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad