Training Camp 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Also, last time players on entry level contracts were exempt. So that strikes off Scheifele, Trouba, Lowry, Ehlers, Petan and Copp from that protected list, assuming that this is taking place this summer and the RFA's haven't signed. I think I'm right here, but maybe not.

That's incorrect. 1st and 2nd year pros were exempt. 3rd year most players would still be on an ELC.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
JC-Lipon-300x206.jpg

Post practice audio: Lipon, Raffl, Petan and Wheeler.

To listen click here.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
Petan is the only potential "4th liner" there I'd be okay with moving up into the top 9 as a result of injury. He looks to be more NHL-ready than Ehlers too. So much more poised, situationally aware.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
The thing is his development continues in the A with the same partners. I expected more out of Kichton. He does not look like someone ready for the pros. What must be concerning to Chevy is that we have nobody on the farm who is ready, and risk losing one of our depth defensemen if we put them on waivers (would Carolina take Harrison back, Pardy could be a 7,8 on a couple of talent poor teams?). I might take the risk with Pardy, Harrison for all his faults, and lateral skating is probably the biggest, is still surprisingly steady, and calm. He showed he could fill Stu's skates. Pardy is more enigmatic, there is good Pardy, with the dangles and the toughness, but there is bad Pardy, who looks lost on the ice. We should probably get one of the vets down on the farm just to have a mentor to all the young d-men the team will feature. I was kind of hoping for local boy and Maurice disciple Ian White to get a spot on the Moose for that specific reason.

I would imagine you're alone in your fears on that one. We would gladly give Harrison back to Caro or whoever might want him on waivers. Pardy is a lot younger & still has some use - although marginal.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Talk about rushing to judgement

No, not really. I've never been high on Morrissey as a prospect. He's got all the hallmarks of a brilliant Jr defenseman that didn't translate to the pro game. Size is probably the biggest factor, but its more than that.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
[nhl]838065[/nhl]

A very revealing presser, I thought.

He basically admitted that the last 4th line spot is a context between Petan, Raffl and Lipon. It sounds like Copp and Thorbs will be the other two. He indicated that the selection of the third player on the 4th line would be based on how he complements the other two in terms of adding other elements. I think he's leaning towards Petan, on that basis.

He also mentioned that for the 3rd D pairing he was looking for someone who plays well with "#5". That suggests that we might not be seeing a Stuart-Trouba pairing, and he's going with the big top-4 D.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

He basically admitted that the last 4th line spot is a context between Petan, Raffl and Lipon. It sounds like Copp and Thorbs will be the other two. He indicated that the selection of the third player on the 4th line would be based on how he complements the other two in terms of adding other elements. I think he's leaning towards Petan, on that basis.

He also mentioned that for the 3rd D pairing he was looking for someone who plays well with "#5". That suggests that we might not be seeing a Stuart-Trouba pairing, and he's going with the big top-4 D.

Was it Petan-Copp-Raffl who looked good together in one of the games?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

The way he talked about Lemieux, Olsen they will get a chance next year for sure or called up this year in Olsen's case. The same for Lipon if he doesn't make the Jets out of TC.

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
That's incorrect. 1st and 2nd year pros were exempt. 3rd year most players would still be on an ELC.

http://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-expansion-draft-whos-unprotected/

From the article: "•Players on entry-level contracts are automatically exempt, and every existing team will have exactly two players selected"

And, from their prediction on the Jets: "Notable Exempt: Mark Scheifele, Adam Lowry, Jacob Trouba"

This all being said, it could be wrong, I guess.

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
I really hope Petan stays with the Jets this year. I love watching him play, and we desperately need someone like him on our PP. When Perreault got hurt last year, our PP took a massive dive.

Petan will start in the A and will be a call up to replace a top 9 player I just can't see Maurice wanting him on a 4th line.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
http://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-expansion-draft-whos-unprotected/

From the article: "•Players on entry-level contracts are automatically exempt, and every existing team will have exactly two players selected"

And, from their prediction on the Jets: "Notable Exempt: Mark Scheifele, Adam Lowry, Jacob Trouba"

This all being said, it could be wrong, I guess.

Never trust THW

Exempt from the Expansion Draft are (i) all first and second-year pros and (ii) unsigned draft choices (except unsigned draft choices drafted from European clubs in the 1996 Entry Draft or before and who remain unsigned).

https://web.archive.org/web/2003090...keyNHLDraft00/jun13_expansiondraft_rules.html

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
Armia needs some time with the Moose. That became apparent.

If he plays with more urgency in his game, he'll likely be a call-up. He'll get his chance, but he didn't look comfortable trying to play the Jets style (aggressive on forecheck and backcheck). That will need to change.

I hope he produces points at a better clip, or he's definitely a guy that could be included in a trade. Morrissey may be heading that way too, but he's still a fairly young player and first year pro.

Armia had a rough camp but I think they used him totally wrong at no point will he be a good option to play with 4th line players.He never had one opportunity to play with skilled players,maybe he didn't deserve it but just about every other bubble guy played with skilled players in at least one game.Playing with Cormier as your centre as a skilled player would frustrate the hell out of anyone.That being said Armia really needs to do something about his strength and first couple of steps.A summer with Gary Roberts would do wonders for him.

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I don't believe Morrissey will ever be an NHL defenseman, outside of a few games here and there perhaps. Not even suggesting he's a bust because most mid 1st rounders never become impact NHL players.

We saw his development level off over the last year or so, and once that happens the writing is on the wall. This team is going to need to either acquire, draft or develop some more good young D, particularly some lefties.

he's ranked as a top NHL prospect. not a faux Leafs'-esque team prospect, but a top NHL prospect.
he'll be fine. i'm willing to bet on it.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I don't know why we're talking about an expansion draft - especially in this thread - when expansion is down the road and the rules haven't been hammered out. I'll bet with those teams paying a lot more than other previous expansion teams, the rules will be more in their favor. Plus by then our roster will be completely different.

What does this have to do with the current training camp and cuts? Absolutely nothing.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I never understood the hype about Armia. His point production has historically been modest at best.

you have to SQUINT to see why he's impressed. dj see what i did there?

TOTeS don't get the Armia love. fringe player, possibly. i'm also guessing that he really didn't impress in training camp if he was sent down so early

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
The doom and gloom about Morrissey's career is hilarious to me. There is a reason there is an AHL and Josh getting time there is the perfect reason.

Not everyone can jump in like a Trouba. He will be fine.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Armia had a rough camp but I think they used him totally wrong at no point will he be a good option to play with 4th line players.He never had one opportunity to play with skilled players,maybe he didn't deserve it but just about every other bubble guy played with skilled players in at least one game.Playing with Cormier as your centre as a skilled player would frustrate the hell out of anyone.That being said Armia really needs to do something about his strength and first couple of steps.A summer with Gary Roberts would do wonders for him.

Agree.

Though a 4th line spot is really the only thing open at the moment. If he's not a fit there, then he's in the A for a while.

Jets like to presssure all over the ice. Armia didn't play that way consistently. He'll have to do that with the Moose. Can't pick your spots in being aggressive.

Jets play fast. Play aggressive. Hit hard and play hard. Armia has to do more of those things. Even if he's not the fastest guy, he can still be effective. A guy like Lowry isn't the fastest or best skater, but he's agressive and hits hard.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
Of all the players assigned to the Moose, Chase De Leo had impressed me alot. I have a feeling he will have a good season down there.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
The doom and gloom about Morrissey's career is hilarious to me. There is a reason there is an AHL and Josh getting time there is the perfect reason.

Not everyone can jump in like a Trouba. He will be fine.

The bar's been set pretty high for Morrissey these last couple of years - I think it's fine to lower expectations a bit...he's not replacing Enstrom just yet. Maybe he's never more than a 2nd pairing guy and maybe not even that. Everyone here is so high on all our prospects, they're bound to disappoint a bit.

Also, Morrissey's had his hands full with his partners for much of the preseason too - Kichton is a gong show out there...and MacWilliam? Not much of a chance to settle in.

folix

Jul 24, 2011
Thanks! The fact that they already have shown that they can play together probably means that Petan has the upper hand right now.
I agree petan is a multi roll player. He is great insurance against losing a skilled player to injury.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
I'm guessing he's at least earned a 2-way at this point. Maybe they get him into one more game before pulling the trigger, but he can certainly play in the AHL, if not the NHL. His game's a good fit for our style.

Think he'll be with the Moose

Thank you both.

On that note - i have Petan in my keeper league, i think he will be a terrific player for you guys. I'd be happy and upset if he made it because i dont want him on a 4th line while he could be playing top line minutes in the AHL.. you guys definitely have some exciting players to look forward to!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad