Training Camp 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
Just a random thought, but should the fact there will be an expansion draft next year matter when it comes to our roster selection?

We can protect 9 F, 5 D and 1 G:

F *Andrew Ladd
F Bryan Little
F Blake Wheeler
F Mark Scheifele
F Nikolaj Ehlers
F Adam Lowry
F Alexander Burmistrov
F Nic Petan
F Andrew Copp

D *Dustin Byfuglien
D Toby Enstrom
D Jacob Trouba
D Tyler Myers
D Ben Chiarot

G Michael Hutchinson

*If signed/re-signed

In that scenario, not only are Stafford, Perreault, *Raffl, etc. left unprotected, but so would any prospects like Lipon or Armia if they made the team on the 4th line. Basically what I'm asking is would it make sense to have them play in the AHL and put scrubs like Thorburn and Peluso on our actual roster to protect them from being claimed?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If Peluso is gone, Thor is still 12. He only missed one game last year, and played regularly on our 3rd. Lipon would probably be 13, or Ehlers, if he struggles, as Scheif was as a 19 year old. The bonus being that Ehlers could get 9 games, with coach being selective about which ones, all the while still getting the pro experience, and practice.

True there are other options including Lipon. Thor is not bad as long as he stays on the 4th line. The point though is that Peluso is limiting the options. Just because he is going to be in the PB doesn't make signing a useless player a good idea.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
True, but I see him similarly as I do Scheifele. If we are honest Scheifele didn't bust down the doors in the TC he made it, but the org was willing to let him learn on the job. It might be different with the depth we have now, but when they feel Morrissey is ready he will likely get his shot. Plus I don't think we see him look indecisive in his call ups once he has fully ingrained Maurice's system.

Hope you are right there.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Just a random thought, but should the fact there will be an expansion draft next year matter when it comes to our roster selection?

Where did you get this information? Last I heard expansion if it happens won't be until the 17-18 season. And the last I heard Daly say on the matter was that they had yet to work out details of how an expansion draft would work. There has never been an expansion in a salary cap world and will it be one team added? 2 teams added? Both the same year? Too many variables to worry about at least 2 years in advance IMO.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

F *Andrew Ladd
F Bryan Little
F Blake Wheeler
F Mark Scheifele
F Nikolaj Ehlers
F Adam Lowry
F Alexander Burmistrov
F Nic Petan
F Andrew Copp

D *Dustin Byfuglien
D Toby Enstrom
D Jacob Trouba
D Tyler Myers
D Ben Chiarot

G Michael Hutchinson

*If signed/re-signed

In that scenario, not only are Stafford, Perreault, *Raffl, etc. left unprotected, but so would any prospects like Lipon or Armia if they made the team on the 4th line. Basically what I'm asking is would it make sense to have them play in the AHL and put scrubs like Thorburn and Peluso on our actual roster to protect them from being claimed?

You want to sacrifice better players helpin the team make playoffs this year for maybe saving a 4th liner from a maybe expansion draft? Really?

Just FYI whether they were in NHL or AHL didn't affect eligibility for claiming last time, doubt it would this time either (it's years pro, not NHL/AHL time).

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
I really hope Petan stays with the Jets this year. I love watching him play, and we desperately need someone like him on our PP. When Perreault got hurt last year, our PP took a massive dive.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I would disagree re Scheifele. He was lights out his first camp, and I thought he was very ordinary the camp he made it. He likely would have gone to the Moose had the camp occurred this year, but he was saved due to lack of depth at the C position imo.

That's fair. I don't think Josh was as bad as you are making him out to be in this years TC especially given his partners, but I agree it will be interesting to watch him develop this year.

The thing is his development continues in the A with the same partners. I expected more out of Kichton. He does not look like someone ready for the pros. What must be concerning to Chevy is that we have nobody on the farm who is ready, and risk losing one of our depth defensemen if we put them on waivers (would Carolina take Harrison back, Pardy could be a 7,8 on a couple of talent poor teams?). I might take the risk with Pardy, Harrison for all his faults, and lateral skating is probably the biggest, is still surprisingly steady, and calm. He showed he could fill Stu's skates. Pardy is more enigmatic, there is good Pardy, with the dangles and the toughness, but there is bad Pardy, who looks lost on the ice. We should probably get one of the vets down on the farm just to have a mentor to all the young d-men the team will feature. I was kind of hoping for local boy and Maurice disciple Ian White to get a spot on the Moose for that specific reason.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The thing is his development continues in the A with the same partners. I expected more out of Kichton. He does not look like someone ready for the pros. What must be concerning to Chevy is that we have nobody on the farm who is ready, and risk losing one of our depth defensemen if we put them on waivers (would Carolina take Harrison back, Pardy could be a 7,8 on a couple of talent poor teams?). I might take the risk with Pardy, Harrison for all his faults, and lateral skating is probably the biggest, is still surprisingly steady, and calm. He showed he could fill Stu's skates. Pardy is more enigmatic, there is good Pardy, with the dangles and the toughness, but there is bad Pardy, who looks lost on the ice. We should probably get one of the vets down on the farm just to have a mentor to all the young d-men the team will feature. I was kind of hoping for local boy and Maurice disciple Ian White to get a spot on the Moose for that specific reason.

Good point, lets hope Kichton gets his AHL allstar game back. He certainly didn't look like good at all this TC. Either that or they need to bring in an AHL vet to pair him with.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Petan's never been cut in his life from any team hes tried out for so he can't see it happening

Lipon is a little more realistic

From watching all the games this is my lineup right now

Ladd/Little/Burmistrov
Stafford/Scheif/Wheeler
Perrault/Lowry/Ehlers
Petan/Copp/Thorburn
Peluso/Lipon

Myers/Enstrom
Buff/Chairot
Trouba/Stuart
Pardy

Pavs
Hutch

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
With Scheifele, I felt he showed more each training camp, than the one before.

With Josh, my concern is that his best training camp was his first. The last 2 camps have been about as equally mediocre.

I will base more of my evaluation of him off of this season in the AHL, but my optimism for Josh has taken a hit. If he has a sub par season, or shows little growth, I will not be penciling him into that top 4 pairing anytime soon.
I think the bolded is fair to say, though it is not what Jets fans want to hear.
For every Duncan Keith, there are scores of extremely skilled players who fail to live up to their potential...and the reasons are not always clear.
Time will tell.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
CQARZUBVEAAlpjW.png:large

Pretty much how I see it.

I actually think that it boiled down to Petan or Armia - I think Maurice wants some sandpaper on the 4th line.

I liked Lipon in one game, but I think he was preserved from the debacle last night. I doubt he would have looked good in that game.

If I were to suggest the best line-up today from the remaining players, I think I would probably play Raffl over Thorbs.

Here's what I would like best...

Ladd-Little-Stafford
Perreault-Scheifele-Wheeler
Burmi-Lowry-Ehlers
Petan-Copp-Raffl

Thorbs / Peluso

I think that 9 D is too many. The worst D left is Harrison, so I would oust him and keep Postma and Pardy as the reserves.

Hellebuyck goes to the Moose, though I haven't been that impressed with Hutch so far in the pre-season.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Sure, it's irrelevant what we say, because obviously Jets management thinks spending nearly $2 million USD/year on character guys who can throw punches (but aren't that great at hockey) is the path to the playoffs. Are we not allowed to question this kind of thinking? Or is there some 'qualitative' goal here that's more important than winning hockey games? :sarcasm:

It is about winning hockey games and those in charge of the Jets feel that he is a part of that goal.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think the bolded is fair to say, though it is not what Jets fans want to hear.
For every Duncan Keith, there are scores of extremely skilled players who fail to live up to their potential...and the reasons are not always clear.
Time will tell.

Morrissey just plays too "safe" or tentatively at each higher level. I think he'll need to really play a big role in the AHL for some time - get a bit more intense and aggressive, and then make the jump.

He and Armia were the two skilled players that I thought had the least opportunities to show their skills during pre-season. It's much easier for guys like Lemieux and Lipon to show their stuff playing with plugs than it is for Morrissey and Armia, who have refined skills.

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
I think it is very telling that Hellebuyck is still up with the big club.

Has he been that good or has Hutch played that poorly. Lots of questions in net.

jetman

May 21, 2015
Move Lipon to centre and swap Chiarot and Trouba and that was the lines at practice today.

Thanks.

If they are serious about moving Trouba to the left, I hope they go full into it, and don't just try and run it on 3rd periods or something.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Petan's never been cut in his life from any team hes tried out for so he can't see it happening

Ladd/Little/Burmistrov
Stafford/Scheif/Wheeler
Perrault/Lowry/Ehlers
Petan/Copp/Thorburn
Peluso/Lipon

Myers/Enstrom
Buff/Chairot
Trouba/Stuart
Pardy

Pavs
Hutch

He was last year, and the year before that.

I like the lineup overall though. SSW doesn't excite me for the full season but I think they'll start together.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Move Lipon to centre and swap Chiarot and Trouba and that was the lines at practice today.

I like that D better....

Enstrom-Myers
Trouba-Buff
Stuart-Chiarot

Chiarot has really improved in the past few years, which is key.

I think I would still prefer Chiarot-Postma as the 3rd pairing, but Stu is not seeing the press box as long a Maurice is the coach.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Ladd/Little/Burmistrov
Stafford/Scheif/Wheeler
Perrault/Lowry/Ehlers
Petan/Copp/Thorburn
Peluso/Lipon

Myers/Enstrom
Buff/Chairot
Trouba/Stuart
Pardy

Pavs
Hutch

Petan was a TC cut last year.

Where's Postma?

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
You want to sacrifice better players helpin the team make playoffs this year for maybe saving a 4th liner from a maybe expansion draft? Really?

Just FYI whether they were in NHL or AHL didn't affect eligibility for claiming last time, doubt it would this time either (it's years pro, not NHL/AHL time).

Also, last time players on entry level contracts were exempt. So that strikes off Scheifele, Trouba, Lowry, Ehlers, Petan and Copp from that protected list, assuming that this is taking place this summer and the RFA's haven't signed. I think I'm right here, but maybe not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad