OT: Tragically Hip Concert streamed live

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
He certainly is. Pearl Jam and the Hip, two bands that have been part of the soundtrack of my life over the last 30 plus years.

I must have10 different mixes, each with pearl jam's Ledbetter followed by Hips Wheat Kings on all of them

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
That truly was a beautiful concert and I ran the gamut of emotions watching it. Watched it with only my best friend (my Doggy) and he looked at me a few times quizically as some tears ran down my face and the times when I got up and played me some mean air guitar.

Oh and huge props to the CBC. They did it right and knocked it out of the park allowing it to air commercial free. :handclap: bravo national broadcaster.

that is something I'll keep on the PVR until it is released on Blu-ray (hopefully). Otherwise it's gonna stay there forever.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
That truly was a beautiful concert and I ran the gamut of emotions watching it. Watched it with only my best friend (my Doggy) and he looked at me a few times quizically as some tears ran down my face and the times when I got up and played me some mean air guitar.

Oh and huge props to the CBC. They did it right and knocked it out of the park allowing it to air commercial free. :handclap: bravo national broadcaster.

that is something I'll keep on the PVR until it is released on Blu-ray (hopefully). Otherwise it's gonna stay there forever.

The wife will be going to visit friends I can't stand on Saturday, so that will be my opportunity to watch this. I think I have come up with a suitable alcohol pairing for the evening. I will start with a Banff Brewing Co Blood Orange Hefeweizen as a salute to Wheat Kings, and how could I have anything but Unibroue Trois Pistoles in hand while Three Pistols plays?

The final bottle during the encores must be something special. Given that Nautical Disaster is my favorite Hip song, I first thought of my favorite French beer, Trois Monts. But it's the wrong side of the country. So I will pass on the beer, and go with a Cidre le Brun Or et Ange 2012 cider from Brittany, and imagine myself being off the coast of France, dear.

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
almost 12 million Canadians watched the concert.
that's 1/3 of the population, or almost 50% of the population the ages of 14 and 75.
that's insane.

It's possible that the actual eyes and ears tuned to the show (as it was broadcast on many different platforms) may actually be way more than that. We had ten people at our house for a viewing party on Saturday night (I set up a giant screen on the garage door using a HD projector and a kick-ass sound system) and if you followed any of the action on Twitter there were tens of thousands of similar parties across the country.

I'd bet that the final count would be closer to half of the population, or somewhere around 17 million.

And Kudos to the CBC - interrupting valuable revenue time from the Olympics to air a commercial free 3 hour broadcast. I can only imagine the endless commercialization of Bruce Springsteen or KISS doing the same in the US.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
It's possible that the actual eyes and ears tuned to the show (as it was broadcast on many different platforms) may actually be way more than that. We had ten people at our house for a viewing party on Saturday night (I set up a giant screen on the garage door using a HD projector and a kick-ass sound system) and if you followed any of the action on Twitter there were tens of thousands of similar parties across the country.

I'd bet that the final count would be closer to half of the population, or somewhere around 17 million.

And Kudos to the CBC - interrupting valuable revenue time from the Olympics to air a commercial free 3 hour broadcast. I can only imagine the endless commercialization of Bruce Springsteen or KISS doing the same in the US.

They screened it at our little Canadian diner too, so I can only imagine the number of expats and/our tourists that got to tune in as well.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I found out about the hip because my dad bought an album after they played sunfest in Gimli. When I first got an Ipod I burned all of his CD's onto it, and fully completely blew my mind.

There's something about them that reminds me of small towns in Canada when I listen, just the references to obscure things that appeal to a certain area are structured in a way that is familiar to me, and remind me how stories evolve and change uniquely in small town Canada.

Mighty Joe Moon

Jun 5, 2011
Lockport
Ok. The thing is, when a comment like that is made, there is an intention. The intention is to inform us that "this band doesn't really matter." Sometimes, that's an ok point to make. I just think in this case, the fact that you or anyone may or may not be able to identify a single hip song really doesn't need to be pointed out. Apparently 12 million or so people felt this was meaningful in some way. We're not really discussing the merits of the hip as a band...we're just taking part in a bit of a "moment." I'm not a big hip fan myself, but over the past 30 years that bands music has been a part of my life just by simple osmosis. It's been played at socials and hockey and football games and just about everywhere else. As a huge music fan back in the eighties and through the nineties, I was there and very aware of the band right from the beginning of their career. 30 years they've been a part of my life in some way and ending as it is does sort of mean something to me. It's worthy of acknowledgement. So I'm just suggesting that maybe in this case it doesn't matter if you (not you specifically) don't happen to be a fan or even if you don't care about this story at all.

Lemmy Kilmister has often said that guitarists get better by dying, and he included Randy Rhoads and Stevie Ray Vaughan as his examples.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/le...ayers-suddenly-get-better-once-they-are-dead/

https://books.google.ca/books?id=Ol...ds became a better guitarist by dying&f=false

So I agree mostly....my point was that if you spent the past 20 years listening to rap or country music, it's very easy to misconstrue this attention for the last four months as 'Oh wow, they're only really famous now because he's dying, where was this attention for the past decade?'

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
They screened it at our little Canadian diner too, so I can only imagine the number of expats and/our tourists that got to tune in as well.

My good buddy and business partner moved to Dallas two years ago and 26 of his friends mostly Canadian booked a private room at a restaurant and watched it from live Texas.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Lemmy Kilmister has often said that guitarists get better by dying, and he included Randy Rhoads and Stevie Ray Vaughan as his examples.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/le...ayers-suddenly-get-better-once-they-are-dead/

https://books.google.ca/books?id=Ol...ds became a better guitarist by dying&f=false

So I agree mostly....my point was that if you spent the past 20 years listening to rap or country music, it's very easy to misconstrue this attention for the last four months as 'Oh wow, they're only really famous now because he's dying, where was this attention for the past decade?'
As much as I enjoy Motorhead, Lemmy Kilmister said a lot of things, much of which was complete nonsense. The legend of anyone who dies young tends to grow, it's not a matter of how talented they were in the first place.

Your analogy is akin as a 12 year old listening to the Beatles only to discover they were once really, really famous.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I found out about the hip because my dad bought an album after they played sunfest in Gimli. When I first got an Ipod I burned all of his CD's onto it, and fully completely blew my mind.

There's something about them that reminds me of small towns in Canada when I listen, just the references to obscure things that appeal to a certain area are structured in a way that is familiar to me, and remind me how stories evolve and change uniquely in small town Canada.

Such a great story of your intro to the hip.

About a year ago my brother gave me an awesome gift. It was a Road Apples album cover signed on the back by all of the band with the exception of Johnny Fay. It is accompanied by a hand written set list on stationary from the Columbia Hotel in London England. He obtained it while seeing the band play a club in London.

Bobby Baker has signed with the inscription "See ya scumfest" beside his name. Apparantly my brother had a discussion with him about Sunfest before he signed the album. Sunfest was not the prettiest of campgrounds/concert sites to say the least but what a blast it was.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

About a year ago my brother gave me an awesome gift. It was a Road Apples album cover signed on the back by all of the band with the exception of Johnny Fay. It is accompanied by a hand written set list on stationary from the Columbia Hotel in London England. He obtained it while seeing the band play a club in London.

Bobby Baker has signed with the inscription "See ya scumfest" beside his name. Apparantly my brother had a discussion with him about Sunfest before he signed the album. Sunfest was not the prettiest of campgrounds/concert sites to say the least but what a blast it was.

Cool Story!!

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?

I know quite a few people in their 40's that lets say "met" their current spouses at sunfest. ;)

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno

i get my Sunfest stories confused. one year (thought it was Pearl Jam's year) the audience area was absolutely repugnant. it was a muddy slop bowl. we watched the band while wearing rubber boots. my feet were stuck in concrete-like mud.

the Hip's year was also pretty nuts. i remember them playing Three Pistols and I Don't Wanna Fight, with Gord walking around with his index fingers pointing upwards on his head like devil's horns. i thought he was nuts.

the field that Sunfest was at was not pretty. rumour was that Pearl Jam was flown in by helicopter.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
I've watched the concert about 5 times now and it never gets old. Although the reasons behind it are tragic, this concert is something that we are going to look back years from now and realize that we probably didn't appreciate it enough.

The greatest Canadian band of all time putting on a concert for all of Canada (and the world), that was watched and enjoyed by so many. It really was something special.

Edit: Also, MAJOR kudos to the CBC. No commercials. No censoring. Great camera work and streamed flawlessly online as well. They knocked this one out of the park.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
To add, I just can't get over how many great songs have such a powerful story and meaning behind them.

Fiddlers Green
Wheat Kings
38 Years Old
Etc.

One line that always got me was "A nation whispered, we always knew that he'd go free."
I am not sure why but it really dug in to me that we see these injustices happen around us yet do very little to stop them. Then, when they are stopped, we all go "Oh yeah. Of course!"

Also, ending the concert with Ahead by a Century......"and disappointing you is getting me down...."
Beautiful!

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I remember seeing the hip almost 10 years ago and it was an incredible performance. Incredible. At one point Gord dropped to the stage and just laid there for a couple minutes, I legit thought something might have been wrong :laugh: ... nope, up he came. Just an awesome, wild, performer.

When I was a teenager I worked maintenance at the local arena, and the hip were there to perform. When the night was all said and done, I was with a few of the guys and we were cleaning up when we walked into what was the hips dressing room. There was a table and a chair, on the table was a thank-you note from Gord, and sitting atop the piece of paper was a ring. A co-worker of mine had no idea what it was, walked over, picked up the ring, and tossed it. Long story short, I spent some time looking for the ring with no luck. The next day on the front page of the newspaper was a close-up of Gord singing away, hand and microphone up to his face, and on his hand was that ring.

Haunts me to this day. :laugh:

I love Gord Downie. I love the Tragically Hip. Fiddlers Green, Wheat Kings and Bobcaygeon are my personal favorites. :)

Last edited:

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I remember seeing the hip almost 10 years ago and it was an incredible performance. Incredible. At one point Gord dropped to the stage and just laid there for a couple minutes, I legit thought something might have been wrong :laugh: ... nope, up he came. Just an awesome, wild, performer.

When I was a teenager I worked maintenance at the local arena, and the hip were there to perform. When the night was all said and done, I was with a few of the guys and we were cleaning up when we walked into what was the hips dressing room. There was a table and a chair, on the table was a thank-you note from Gord, and sitting atop the piece of paper was a ring. A co-worker of mine had no idea what it was, walked over, picked up the ring, and tossed it. Long story short, I spent some time looking for the ring with no luck. The next day on the front page of the newspaper was a close-up of Gord singing away, hand and microphone up to his face, and on his hand was that ring.

Haunts me to this day. :laugh:

I love Gord Downie. I love the Tragically Hip. Fiddlers Green, Wheat Kings and Bobcaygeon are my personal favorites. :)

Oh come on. It's so obvious that it was his lol.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Oh come on. It's so obvious that it was his lol.

Not when you're young and don't have a clue, apparently :laugh: .. the kid didn't know who the hip or Gord Downie was from a random stranger walking down the street. He just came to work that night to clean up. Absolutely blew my mind. He walked into the room just ahead of me, and just as I looked at the table with the note and ring on it he picked up the ring and tossed it. I walked up closer to the table, read the piece of paper "Thanks [insert city here], you guys rock! Sincerely, Gord Downie"

And the thing is, is where this dressing room was, it was an arena storage room right by where their bus was parked. In the room was stacks of chairs, arena gates, boards, glass, piles of arena stuff, you'd never find that ring unless you moved a ton of **** outta there and looked carefully as you moved each thing. And you'd have to use the forklift to do it. It would have been there somewhere, but you'd be lucky as hell to find it at that point. Could have been on one of the hundreds of chairs stacked, between/under rink boards, under a skid with stacks of glass on it, etc. I still catch myself to this day thinking "is that ring in there somewhere, a corner of the room, untouched..." .. trust me, I looked around that room on a few different occasions after that.

Anyway, it just makes me sick thinking about it. :laugh:

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Not when you're young and don't have a clue, apparently :laugh: .. the kid didn't know who the hip or Gord Downie was from a random stranger walking down the street. He just came to work that night to clean up. Absolutely blew my mind. He walked into the room just ahead of me, and just as I looked at the table with the note and ring on it he picked up the ring and tossed it. I walked up closer to the table, read the piece of paper "Thanks [insert city here], you guys rock! Sincerely, Gord Downie"

And the thing is, is where this dressing room was, it was an arena storage room right by where their bus was parked. In the room was stacks of chairs, arena gates, boards, glass, piles of arena stuff, you'd never find that ring unless you moved a ton of **** outta there and looked carefully as you moved each thing. And you'd have to use the forklift to do it. It would have been there somewhere, but you'd be lucky as hell to find it at that point. Could have been on one of the hundreds of chairs stacked, between/under rink boards, under a skid with stacks of glass on it, etc. I still catch myself to this day thinking "is that ring in there somewhere, a corner of the room, untouched..." .. trust me, I looked around that room on a few different occasions after that.

Anyway, it just makes me sick thinking about it. :laugh:

think it was the Day for Night tour. we went to the Wpg Arena to see them. my (female) friend was drunk and was obsessed with meeting Downie and the Hip. i lived in GC and she lived south. so north end kids left and she went with her south end friends.
i went to see the Hip at their last Toronto show. at the show, we took a pic and sent it to a friend of ours who now lives in the States.
the next day, my friend gets a text "That picture was so great! I should go look for the Hip's autograph that we got after the Wpg show!"
my friend is clueless. she doesn't remember that they hung out by the bus after the show, met the band and got autographs.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Funny enough, browsing google, I just stumbled across this picture of Gord performing in November 2006 on tour in Vancouver (I seen him a couple months after this in January 2007).. in this picture you can see him wearing a ring on his right index finger. After looking through pictures online, I see that Gord was wearing the same kind of ring at the 2007 Juno Awards in April. So, he must have been leaving a ring and note as a memento after each show through that tour.

292561165_dd2a472d67_z.jpg

Last edited:

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I was watching old Tragically Music Videos...and realized for the first time that Gord Downie used to have a pretty magnificent head of hair.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00