OT: Tragically Hip Concert streamed live

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
i lost it at the beginning when, before the show, Gord kissed each band member. it was such a beautiful display.

There were 8 of us at the lake watching it and we all got a bit emotional when he was kissing his band mates.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
There were 8 of us at the lake watching it and we all got a bit emotional when he was kissing his band mates.

it was so beautiful and honest.

i was also bawling during Lake Fever and Grace, Too and maybe 10 other songs

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
I went to watch it at the Cube on King street last night. It was epic and have a big hangover now. Goodie was brilliant!

[mod]

Anyways I've already broken down a few times in the last 12 hours. Very sad and the group will be missed. Truly special live performers.

Take care Gordie!

Last edited by a moderator:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
it was so beautiful and honest.

i was also bawling during Lake Fever and Grace, Too and maybe 10 other songs

Yea watching Gord pour himself into Grace, Too was just incredible I literally got chills. There was this cool moment at the lake when the concert was rolling and someone at one of the other cottages had released two beautiful lantern looking vessels into the air at dust as they both ascended it looked like they were taking an escalator to the the heavens.

ocdaddy

Nov 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Hadn't been this emotional since the Jets made the playoffs a couple years back!...

Solid show from our Canadian heroes. Hoser city and I loved every single minute of it.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Interesting that they never said it was there last show. Grey cup maybe? Gord also has some solo stuff he's rolling out.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Interesting that they never said it was there last show. Grey cup maybe? Gord also has some solo stuff he's rolling out.

umm....
he's dying of a brain tumour, didn't look healthy and can't sing without teleprompters.
i'm hoping he's alive come November, never mind playing at the Grey ****ing Cup

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
Same

Yea watching Gord pour himself into Grace, Too was just incredible I literally got chills. There was this cool moment at the lake when the concert was rolling and someone at one of the other cottages had released two beautiful lantern looking vessels into the air at dust as they both ascended it looked like they were taking an escalator to the the heavens.

Same happened at City Park, 2 Chinese Lanterns were released. Good crowd of 3-4,000 watching the screening of this great show at the Lyric Theatre.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Too many distractions last night so I recorded it. Will wait for an evening when the wife is out of the house, and I can just dedicate 3 hours of alone time with some nice beers close at hand. I expect I will lose it early and often.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Wow, what a show. Like some others I enjoyed it at the lake. Pretty emotional and the wife lost it at the encores when her 3 favourite songs were played. Amazingly I was able to hold it together, unlike 2 weeks ago at MTSC.

Here is a link to the "hip" chapter in Bob Mackenzies book. Sorry if it has been posted before. It is a pretty good read. I totally forget Harry Sinden is Gords godfather.

http://www.tsn.ca/fully-completely-1.494972

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
umm....
he's dying of a brain tumour, didn't look healthy and can't sing without teleprompters.
i'm hoping he's alive come November, never mind playing at the Grey ****ing Cup

Wasn't sure how long he had. Read somewhere that it may not have been their last show, but I'm sure it was.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Wasn't sure how long he had. Read somewhere that it may not have been their last show, but I'm sure it was.

if i had to make a morbid guess, i'd say 3-6 months, with closer to 3.
he's already on prednisone to reduce the swelling/pressure. he looks like he has a bit of a tremor. he can't remember lyrics. looks like banter's pretty tough. so we're not talking years here.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
almost 12 million Canadians watched the concert.
that's 1/3 of the population, or almost 50% of the population the ages of 14 and 75.
that's insane.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
almost 12 million Canadians watched the concert.
that's 1/3 of the population, or almost 50% of the population the ages of 14 and 75.
that's insane.

Wonder how they measured that?

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
There were separate outdoor viewing parties in Morden and Winkler.

This is as close as a shared moment in media as you can get in this day and age in Canada that doesn't involve Olympic hockey.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
There were separate outdoor viewing parties in Morden and Winkler.

This is as close as a shared moment in media as you can get in this day and age in Canada that doesn't involve Olympic hockey.

Kenora as well.

Mighty Joe Moon

Jun 5, 2011
Lockport
Oh BS. If you don't know New Orleans is Sinking then you must literally have been living under a rock. :shakehead

Anyway, whether you're a fan or not (and I'm not a huge one myself) how bout just letting this one pass without giving the world your opinion of their abilities. No band appeals to everyone everywhere. The Hip are without doubt one of Canada's biggest bands and this is quite a unique "moment." [mod]

It's ridiculously easy to avoid music (anything, really) you're not interested in, especially in the internet age. I stopped listening to mainstream rock radio when mp3 cds became common in aftermarket car stereos (about 15 years ago), let alone doubling up with things like Satellite radio, and I couldn't name anything the Hip has done since Music at Work, as I was never that interested in them. It's entirely believable that a 28 year old (too young to have tangible memories of their radio glory days in the early 90s, unlike myself) could have heard New Orleans is Sinking and be aware of the Hip and not make the connection. I know people that are in their 30s that have never seen Star Wars. It eventually becomes a badge of honor like when people resist using Twitter or cell phones or something new even though the entire rest of the planet is on board.

And as someone who is not a fan, I'll kind of miss 'em. I actually listened to the whole concert on CBC Radio while at the lake.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
if i had to make a morbid guess, i'd say 3-6 months, with closer to 3.
he's already on prednisone to reduce the swelling/pressure. he looks like he has a bit of a tremor. he can't remember lyrics. looks like banter's pretty tough. so we're not talking years here.

Guess work is all fine and dandy or you could just read or listen to what his doctor has said. It's not like he hasn't been interviewed countless times.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Guess work is all fine and dandy or you could just read or listen to what his doctor has said. It's not like he hasn't been interviewed countless times.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/gord-downie-james-perry-hip-1.3717247

Downie's not on any current treatment. his May MRI looked fantastic, whatever that means.
there are no details about Downie's timeline (nor would there be). so not sure what you're reading or seeing.
like, you expecting his physician to talk about how grim his prognosis is or how poorly Downie's doing while on tour?
in the end, it's not like i'd get pleasure from being right about his timelines and i hope i'm wrong. i'm just also a bit of a realist. and aside from his craniotomy and partial tumour removal, it appears that chemo and radiation won't help him.
it's a tumour in his temporal lobe. that affects language comprehension and visual memory. you're already seeing the affects of the tumour while he's on stage, so things aren't good. we're talking about an average of a 12 month survival rate after diagnosis. he apparently had a seizure in December.

more stark information about the tumour here: http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/ar...ationalpost.com/news/canada/0525-na-prognosis

“Typically, patients have this really nice period where, if they’ve done well from surgery, they’re going to have hopefully a really good quality of life for the next five, six, seven or eight months,” Singh said.

However, within a year of the end of treatment, the tumours invariably grow back, and often with a completely different genetic profile or landscape than the original cancers, “which is very frightening for us,” Singh said said. “It grows back almost like a completely distinct entity to what we first diagnosed.”

guessing it was a january or february surgery. so we're post surgery by around 6-9 months. sorry to have to spell this out to people. it's an awful, awful disease.

anyways, i'd rather focus on him as a person (loved by everyone) and the band's music than the glibness of his prognosis.

Last edited:

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
It's ridiculously easy to avoid music (anything, really) you're not interested in, especially in the internet age. I stopped listening to mainstream rock radio when mp3 cds became common in aftermarket car stereos (about 15 years ago), let alone doubling up with things like Satellite radio, and I couldn't name anything the Hip has done since Music at Work, as I was never that interested in them. It's entirely believable that a 28 year old (too young to have tangible memories of their radio glory days in the early 90s, unlike myself) could have heard New Orleans is Sinking and be aware of the Hip and not make the connection. I know people that are in their 30s that have never seen Star Wars. It eventually becomes a badge of honor like when people resist using Twitter or cell phones or something new even though the entire rest of the planet is on board.

And as someone who is not a fan, I'll kind of miss 'em. I actually listened to the whole concert on CBC Radio while at the lake.

Ok. The thing is, when a comment like that is made, there is an intention. The intention is to inform us that "this band doesn't really matter." Sometimes, that's an ok point to make. I just think in this case, the fact that you or anyone may or may not be able to identify a single hip song really doesn't need to be pointed out. Apparently 12 million or so people felt this was meaningful in some way. We're not really discussing the merits of the hip as a band...we're just taking part in a bit of a "moment." I'm not a big hip fan myself, but over the past 30 years that bands music has been a part of my life just by simple osmosis. It's been played at socials and hockey and football games and just about everywhere else. As a huge music fan back in the eighties and through the nineties, I was there and very aware of the band right from the beginning of their career. 30 years they've been a part of my life in some way and ending as it is does sort of mean something to me. It's worthy of acknowledgement. So I'm just suggesting that maybe in this case it doesn't matter if you (not you specifically) don't happen to be a fan or even if you don't care about this story at all.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
That was something special. Thanks, Hip.

It's not often you see an artist playing so beautifully, sometimes angrily and fearfully, staring into the face of their own mortality. It has left a sort of lingering feeling in me. To do something worthwhile with the time we have. Perhaps our own art, or other meaningful pursuit. Or even just simple kindness to those around us.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
2016 has been an awful year. Musical Hero's dropping left and right....but that Concert...it made me cry.

Downie isn't just a singer, he's a real poet. A true Icon who tuned into the Canadian zeitgeist for 30 years in a way that maybe no one has before or since. Everyone I know likes the hip, from Dude-Bro's to skaters, hillbillies, Blues men, everyone. Truly Canada's Band.

castle

Dec 2, 2011
Australia
That was something special. Thanks, Hip.

It's not often you see an artist playing so beautifully, sometimes angrily and fearfully, staring into the face of their own mortality. It has left a sort of lingering feeling in me. To do something worthwhile with the time we have. Perhaps our own art, or other meaningful pursuit. Or even just simple kindness to those around us.

indeed. I remember Warren Zevon doing the whole hour on David Letterman back when he was diagnosed with mesothelioma. it will always stick with me.

Enjoy Every Sandwich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad