Speculation: Trading Vanek

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
And Vanek is only worth more at the trade deadline if he comes out and scores at a ~35 goal pace. I wouldn't bet on it with less talent surrounding him. He has value now, he just finished a shortened season where he scored at a 40 goal pace, strike while the iron is hot. Because two of the previous three years before this one, he didn't crack 30, and I bet he's a 25 goal scorer again on this squad next year.

Sitting around and hoping for something better while your assets depreciate is a fool's game. If Vanek sucks again next year, we're all going to be sitting here crying about why we got nothing for him while he still had value and before he walked away for nothing.
The teams that will more than likely be looking to add someone like Vanek do not have the cap space to have him on the roster for an entire year. As of now unless a very young team with lots of cap space decides they're going for it Vanek will have the same or more value at the trade deadline.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
The teams that will more than likely be looking to add someone like Vanek do not have the cap space to have him on the roster for an entire year. As of now unless a very young team with lots of cap space decides they're going for it Vanek will have the same or more value at the trade deadline.

Then retain salary. Not a problem.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Then retain salary. Not a problem.
I don't disagree.

But I still think he has the same value if not more at the trade deadline. The problem with trading for a guy with one year left on his contract before the season starts is there is a lot more time for things to go wrong. He could get injured, the team could under perform greatly hurting your chance of re-signing the player, or the little extra you may have to give up to acquire him for a few extra months doesn't outweigh the benefit. Really the only advantage to trading for Vanek before the trade deadline is that you skip the line that may have formed at the trade deadline, which is another negative for Buffalo.

It will probably come down to if Regeir wants immediate youth as a return or if he wants another 1st round pick next year and some prospects. If you trade him in July or August you're probably getting a tones down Rick Nash trade without the 1st rounder. If you trade him at the deadline you're probably getting a toned down Jason Pominville trade.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
It will probably come down to if Regeir wants immediate youth as a return or if he wants another 1st round pick next year and some prospects. If you trade him in July or August you're probably getting a toned down Rick Nash trade without the 1st rounder. If you trade him at the deadline you're probably getting a toned down Jason Pominville trade.

spot on

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Two things: (1) Just curious if there's a HF fanbase that's actually clamoring for their GM to acquire Vanek? (2) Couldn't we just grant permission to other teams to negotiate (or what everyone else seems to be doing, a la "agreeing to terms") an extension to increase the return or is that not permissible yet, or ever?

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Two things: (1) Just curious if there's a HF fanbase that's actually clamoring for their GM to acquire Vanek? (2) Couldn't we just grant permission to other teams to negotiate (or what everyone else seems to be doing, a la "agreeing to terms") an extension to increase the return or is that not permissible yet, or ever?

To #2, yes. Even with that permission it's probably unlikely that such an agreement would get done in time to trade him at the draft, though. Unless the team is an ideal spot from Vanek's perspective.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
we need to be negotiating with Vanek ourselves....we can only trade so many guys away before we are left with a team of rookies...

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
This has been discussed before, but Ottawa looks like one of the best fits for Vanek on the ice. They need another legit top 6 winger. They have many young players. They have a perfect center to pair him with, and some other interesting young ones as secondary options. There are few teams you can say he'd fit better on imo.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
This has been discussed before, but Ottawa looks like one of the best fits for Vanek on the ice. They need another legit top 6 winger. They have many young players. They have a perfect center to pair him with, and some other interesting young ones as secondary options. There are few teams you can say he'd fit better on imo.
I think he's a good fit with Vancouver as well and being on a one year contract is perfect for them. It comes down to what happens with Luoungo and if Pegula wants to buy out Booth.

tmack224

Aug 18, 2009
Buffalo, NY
we need to be negotiating with Vanek ourselves....we can only trade so many guys away before we are left with a team of rookies...

This comment has come up a lot. When Vanek, miller and whoever else is moved, yes, we will have a team of young players. But remember, we will have 30 million in cap space to sign veteran Free Agents. I swear people are forgetting free agency.

Shmuffalo

Brad May's Stand In
Feb 13, 2008
New York
This comment has come up a lot. When Vanek, miller and whoever else is moved, yes, we will have a team of young players. But remember, we will have 30 million in cap space to sign veteran Free Agents. I swear people are forgetting free agency.

The free agent pool this year is bad, and the Sabres track record during free agency is bad. It's gon' be bad.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
The free agent pool this year is bad, and the Sabres track record during free agency is bad. It's gon' be bad.

I agree. I think the Sabres will add some minor pieces like last year (Scott, Porter).

Then again the free agent pool will increase with compliance buyouts.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I've seen some Wings fans commenting on him as a guy they'd like to have and after the playoff loss, some Leaf fans too as per his Bruin-killer rep. A couple of Blues fans, a couple of Kings fans... but clamoring? Not particularly. Most just fain the "oh, we'll just wait for UFA" thing and not cotton to the idea of a deal.

But GM's looking at the opportunity to sign him before he hits UFA, much like every other talent out there... I suspect they will be warmer to the idea than HF fans, where every prospect is going to be just as good as the established NHL -- or better! -- and every draft pick is a hidden gem.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
That's old news in my book, as Wawrow wrote on that a few days ago:
Vanek, Buffalo's top offensive threat, has gone as far as to say that he isn't interested in staying in Buffalo if the team is planning on a lengthy rebuilding process.

In response to Pegula's comments, Vanek's agent, Steve Bartlett said it's premature to discuss his client's long-term future. Bartlett said, he's had no talks with the Sabres, which he doesn't consider unusual because NHL rules prevent the team from signing Vanek to a contract extension until next month.

"From our standpoint, there's no animosity and no demands. This is nothing Thomas and I have spent a lot of time talking about," Bartlett said. "We're not coming at this any more positively or negatively."

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
There are many that have heard and feel that Thomas Vanek and Ryan Miller have made up their minds and do not want to return to the Sabres. Both have one season remaining on their deals and both can sign extensions after July 1st. Regier said neither have said that in absolute terms. Regier said neither Vanek nor his agent Steve Bartlett have told him that Vanek will not sign an extension and has asked to be traded. Regier said, “They’re exploring their options as well and part of that is predicated on what we do. I did speak with Ryan’s agent last week. I will see and speak with Thomas’ agent. I probably will speak with the players individually as well.†Regier added, “Ideally I’d like to keep them here, both of them.â€

http://www.wgr550.com/Sabres-Regier-says-trading-up-seems-unlikely/16640144

If the Sabres add one established NHL veteran forward for the top 6 and end up holding onto Miller into the season (even if it's because they couldn't get a fair return), I think Vanek may be more open to re-signing.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Considering Vanek was willing to sign with a bottom of the barrel team in Edmonton for an absurd amount of money, I figure he'd be willing to re-up here...for the right price.

However, Right or not, it appears the Sabres might be angling towards a top 5 pick next year on purpose, which, if you move Miller and Vanek out for futures, is likely where this roster is headed.

I can't see the Sabres adding more than a journeyman D off mid price rack (bringing back Lydman seems like a predictable Darcy move) and maybe a 3rd/4th liner with some size to round things out.

There might be a Pegula bucks style move where we take on a toxic asset to use one of our compliance buyouts from a small market team in return for more futures. But, unless the window opens for a player like Malkin, etc to be moved.

Shmuffalo

Brad May's Stand In
Feb 13, 2008
New York
Considering Vanek was willing to sign with a bottom of the barrel team in Edmonton for an absurd amount of money, I figure he'd be willing to re-up here...for the right price.

However, Right or not, it appears the Sabres might be angling towards a top 5 pick next year on purpose, which, if you move Miller and Vanek out for futures, is likely where this roster is headed.

I can't see the Sabres adding more than a journeyman D off mid price rack (bringing back Lydman seems like a predictable Darcy move) and maybe a 3rd/4th liner with some size to round things out.

There might be a Pegula bucks style move where we take on a toxic asset to use one of our compliance buyouts from a small market team in return for more futures. But, unless the window opens for a player like Malkin, etc to be moved.

50 million dollars later, money is less important, and you want your team to be successful. I'm not saying he won't re-sign, but I don't think Vanek is purely trying to go to the highest bidder.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

If they want to suffer to get top picks, then they need to trade Vanek and Miller for futures ASAP and deal with the step back on the ice that will come with a really young team like Edmonton has dealt with recently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad