Speculation: Trading Vanek

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
There is nothing wrong with still having Vanek on the roster a year before his contract expires.

You can fault Regier if he gets nothing for Vanek by the deadline and he doesn't get him to re-sign. You can't fault him for having him on the roster when they're expecting the team to be competitive.

I think the perfect scenario for buffalo is he is on the roster until the deadline next year and is ether re-signed that day (you see that often leading up to the deadline) or he is traded.

Only way I'd be happy vanek is traded is if it helps us get into the top 3. I'm thinking Darcy would think the same way. I could even see vanek who seems like an honest guy saying something like look, ice a playoff team next year and I sign by the deadline, if not please move me to a contender.

The dream is we get into the top 3 without dealing much of any roster players, vanek gets a chance to play with top young talent and wants to resign as he sees a bright future. If he still doesn't then f it, get as much as we can at the deadline which should pull hossa/kovalchuk like returns.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
There's no other reliable scorer on this team. Stafford doesn't want to do it and neither does Foligno.
Steve Ott can score but any Sabres fan who says we can rely on him to win games is out of their mind.

CoHo is a good scorer, at times a finesse scorer but not consistent. If Vanek goes, I think he'll know his role.

First of all, welcome!!!! Don't let my mild rebuttal keep you from posting. CoHo's role already is to score goals, he just doesn't / can't to the extent Vanek does. Also, I don't think the departure of Vanek would cause CoHo to morph into a more prolific scorer. (In reality, CoHo's production may drop if #26 leaves.)

Are we getting Jefferson back? 6'2, one of the best defenders of liberty, great leadership qualities. His years in France may help with the recruitment of French Canadians to our team, as well. I like it.

I really laughed at this, both for the cerebral post, and because I'm a fan of Jefferson. :laugh:
However, I immediately thought that if Jefferson isn't available, Sabres should pursue Lincoln: 6'4", defender of Union, great playoff beard.
Knowing Darcy, he's probably leaning toward Madison, all 5'4" 110 lbs of him, and overlook the under-size because of his cerebral work on the Constitution. :(

Karate Johnson*

I think the perfect scenario for buffalo is he is on the roster until the deadline next year and is ether re-signed that day (you see that often leading up to the deadline) or he is traded.

Only way I'd be happy vanek is traded is if it helps us get into the top 3. I'm thinking Darcy would think the same way. I could even see vanek who seems like an honest guy saying something like look, ice a playoff team next year and I sign by the deadline, if not please move me to a contender.

The dream is we get into the top 3 without dealing much of any roster players, vanek gets a chance to play with top young talent and wants to resign as he sees a bright future. If he still doesn't then f it, get as much as we can at the deadline which should pull hossa/kovalchuk like returns.

What do we gain/lose for 50 games of Vanek next year, if we are building for a Stanley Cup? If a contract isn't worked out by the draft you trade him if you like the return.

Letting it go down to the wire in regards to a new contract/if you're going to trade him is playing with fire.

Worst case scenario is he walks for nothing.... Vanek walking for nothing is a devastating option or this franchise.... Why risk it?

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
What do we gain/lose for 50 games of Vanek next year, if we are building for a Stanley Cup? If a contract isn't worked out by the draft you trade him if you like the return.

Letting it go down to the wire in regards to a new contract/if you're going to trade him is playing with fire.

Worst case scenario is he walks for nothing.... Vanek walking for nothing is a devastating option or this franchise.... Why risk it?

Well, The only risk is if he gets injured and can't help out a contender, yes that'd be a blow. But other than at I see no risk as Darcy will get a huge return. Obviously we would never let it get past the deadline without an extension or a trade. That will never happen again with a players of vaneks ilk.

That being said I think the return would be larger at the deadline compared to this summer. What we gain is finding out (based After this years draft moves) is if Vanek fits with this group and can ice a p/o team or not. Kind of a 50 game case to convince vanek we will be good soon. Obviously if we stand pat and can't make a move without it being vanek included then go ahead and move him because we most likely wont gain immediate top end help.

Ron C.

Sponsor
Jun 16, 2002
Amherst, NY
Visit site
If the return for Vanek is as low as a 2nd and a Gragnani-like prospect, I'd keep Thomas and deal him at the deadline. If the offers are significantly higher, I would go full rebuild.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Well, The only risk is if he gets injured and can't help out a contender, yes that'd be a blow. But other than at I see no risk as Darcy will get a huge return. Obviously we would never let it get past the deadline without an extension or a trade. That will never happen again with a players of vaneks ilk.

That being said I think the return would be larger at the deadline compared to this summer.
Possibly, but the potential number of suitors may be much smaller at the deadline.

What we gain is finding out (based After this years draft moves) is if Vanek fits with this group and can ice a p/o team or not.
Not sure what is meant here. I don't see where this years (later this month) draft moves have a significant impact on 2014 playoff chances (as I'm a realist, not pessimist, but I won't dismiss your optimism). If instead, you mean whether Vanek himself (singularly) will have an impact on Sabres playoff chances, I think that Q has already been answered in prior seasons, and without Pomms (and the rest of the so-called Roch core), that answer is negative.

Obviously if we stand pat and can't make a move without it being vanek included then go ahead and move him because we most likely wont gain immediate top end help.
The only scenarios making sense to me, in reverse-order of perceived likelihood are:
1) 1-2 yr BUF extension at near-cap max, to keep enough fans in seats during the rebuild, while still offering another UFA payday. That may not be enough to keep him though. (least likely)
2) Trade before draft to team which makes handshake agreement to extension before trade.
3) Trade at '14 deadline. (most likely)

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
Possibly, but the potential number of suitors may be much smaller at the deadline.

Not sure what is meant here. I don't see where this years (later this month) draft moves have a significant impact on 2014 playoff chances (as I'm a realist, not pessimist, but I won't dismiss your optimism). If instead, you mean whether Vanek himself (singularly) will have an impact on Sabres playoff chances, I think that Q has already been answered in prior seasons, and without Pomms (and the rest of the so-called Roch core), that answer is negative.

The only scenarios making sense to me, in reverse-order of perceived likelihood are:
1) 1-2 yr BUF extension at near-cap max, to keep enough fans in seats during the rebuild, while still offering another UFA payday. That may not be enough to keep him though. (least likely)
2) Trade before draft to team which makes handshake agreement to extension before trade.
3) Trade at '14 deadline. (most likely)

Well, we do both agree a deadline trade is most likely.

I don't see how the number of suitors goes down. We'd get Plenty of call for vanek at the deadline for sure. How could we not? There is Plenty of parity (especially out west), and his cap hit come the deadline won't be too bad for anyone with some cap space. I'd imagine some of the other ufa's to be will have been resigned by then.

I see why some might be confused by a bit of optimism :nod: but yes that's what I meant. But yeah, this years draft wouldn't impact next years playoffs unless we move into the top 3. But I think more than that it would influence vaneks decision to resign or not.

Karate Johnson*

With a player who was as banged up as Vanek was last year I wouldn't risk waiting til the deadline unless you are getting garbage offers....

And I highly doubt he signs an extension... Why would he?

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
With a player who was as banged up as Vanek was last year I wouldn't risk waiting til the deadline unless you are getting garbage offers....

Vanek really isn't as injury prone as he's made out to be.

I agree though, why would he. I wouldn't either, unless we move up, grab a high end NHL ready talent and we perform well the first 50 games (yes it's a stretch)

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Well, we do both agree a deadline trade is most likely.

I don't see how the number of suitors goes down. We'd get Plenty of call for vanek at the deadline for sure. How could we not? There is Plenty of parity (especially out west), and his cap hit come the deadline won't be too bad for anyone with some cap space. I'd imagine some of the other ufa's to be will have been resigned by then.

I see why some might be confused by a bit of optimism :nod: but yes that's what I meant. But yeah, this years draft wouldn't impact next years playoffs unless we move into the top 3. But I think more than that it would influence vaneks decision to resign or not.

Off-season there are more suitors, by definition. 29 possible other teams. Let's assume ~30-50% of those (~10-15 teams) have both a need, desire, and fit (cap) for Vanek.
Come deadline, the number of teams with a need and desire is cut in half from 29 to 15-16 teams. Assume cap is not an issue because of the late-season pro-rated salary scenario. There will be only a handful of teams who can make an attractive offer, simply because the ante will be higher, as opposed to 3 weeks from now, when it will take less of an ante to have a seat at the trade table.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009

Vanek has played in 94% of the Sabres possible games over his career.His injury "woes" are no worse then any other player on the team.If anything, Vanek is the guy who is able to play through minor bumps and bruises that most big players in the league couldn't handle.So much for Lindy thinking Vanek was just another "weak" Euro who couldn't handle the "premier" minutes that he lied about giving to Vanek.Just sucks that as soon as we fire the ass clown now Vanek wants to go :shakehead I don't blame him, why stay on the team who has done nothing but hold him back.Vanek on any well ran/coached team would have been getting 20+ mins a night scoring 40-50 goals a season and killing penalties, not this 16-17 minute ******** he has been given practically his whole career.I forgot t

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Not at all ....

Vanek is in a walk year and the dealine is after 60+ games so 75% of the season is played.

A $7.14M cap hit at the deadline translated to $1.785M cap hit with Buffalo retaining half amounts to a cap hit of the acquiring team of $892,500 cap hit for the acquiring team.

20 teams easily would be able to afford that and make solid offers of a 1st + 2 decent young players. The players may not be as good as what they could get now--but they are still going to be comparative to the players Pommers got.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
There will be only a handful of teams who can make an attractive offer, simply because the ante will be higher, as opposed to 3 weeks from now, when it will take less of an ante to have a seat at the trade table.

Compared to now than the trading deadline his price will drop some because he is a pure rental who could walk after the season so some teams will be bidded out and not want to give up as much as other teams.

Vanek is the type of player who will win a team a cup and he has no trade control on his contract.

Actually this offseason more teams are out of the bidding because they have cap issues and cant absorb a $3.6M cap hit in a trade. But those same teams could easily affor the $850,000 salary ate the deadline he would cost them.

Tyler2829

Jun 20, 2009
Rochester, NY
Vanek has played in 94% of the Sabres possible games over his career.His injury "woes" are no worse then any other player on the team.If anything, Vanek is the guy who is able to play through minor bumps and bruises that most big players in the league couldn't handle.So much for Lindy thinking Vanek was just another "weak" Euro who couldn't handle the "premier" minutes that he lied about giving to Vanek.Just sucks that as soon as we fire the ass clown now Vanek wants to go :shakehead I don't blame him, why stay on the team who has done nothing but hold him back.Vanek on any well ran/coached team would have been getting 20+ mins a night scoring 40-50 goals a season and killing penalties, not this 16-17 minute ******** he has been given practically his whole career.I forgot t

He may not miss many games but he's far less affective when he's playing injured.

Prospector74

Jul 5, 2011
Leonardtown, MD
Not at all ....

Vanek is in a walk year and the dealine is after 60+ games so 75% of the season is played.

A $7.14M cap hit at the deadline translated to $1.785M cap hit with Buffalo retaining half amounts to a cap hit of the acquiring team of $892,500 cap hit for the acquiring team.

20 teams easily would be able to afford that and make solid offers of a 1st + 2 decent young players. The players may not be as good as what they could get now--but they are still going to be comparative to the players Pommers got.

I don't like the thought of trading him at the deadline because 1)he might be injured and 2) we may be in the playoff hunt making it unpalatable to trade him at that point. If we don't resign him, move him this summer at the draft.

Karate Johnson*

It's not Vaneks entire career that is a concern, it's last season. He actually started missing time last year.

He could have never missed a game and the risk of waiting til the deadline is still there. It's not like this past season when we retain his rights.

If Regier actively decides to wait until the deadline, then Vanek gets hurt and is untradeable we lose him for nothing. It's as simple as that. It's a legitimate concern.

If I'm running The Sabres I approach him this summer about an extension, and if he isn't interested I begin shopping him... Preferably trade him before the draft in order to get whatever assets he returns into the system

One thing is for certain, Vanek doesn't take the ice for Buffalo without an extension in place.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ

IIRC, didn't Vanek's ice time gradually increase under Rolston?

He may not miss many games but he's far less affective when he's playing injured.

Name me one player in the league where that's not true. Even Crosby is less effective when playing through an injury.

It's not Vaneks entire career that is a concern, it's last season. He actually started missing time last year.

I don't think it was as blatant or excessive as you imply - if anything, I think Vanek was more cautious when fighting through an injury of returning to the lineup too quickly. I'm sure he weighed the risk-reward of aggravating an injury by rushing back into the lineup too soon vs. the impact of him in the roster changing the team's place in the standings.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
IIRC, didn't Vanek's ice time gradually increase under Rolston?

I believe he was actually getting less ice time. Vanek was getting 20+ mins under Ruff at the beginning of the season ( and was scoring at the best pace of his career, go figure). When Rolston took over he was getting less and less. He was still getting more then he usually does so atleast Rolston had the sense not to give him 17 mins again.

There has been no reason for Vanek not to have been getting 18-20 mins a game and killing penalties from 07 on, ever since the co caps left. Ruff should have made him the primary forward and instead makes him a supporting piece. The first time Ruff put Vanek on the PK he had a shg in his first 2 games on the PK. He also successfully killed every PK he was on and the Sabres didn't allow a ppg in those 2 games. Of course Ruff takes Van off the pk for years :facepalm: Vaneks PK is extremely underrated as is his 2 way play. Vanek is a guy you can give 20 mins a game to and put him on the PK. Highly skilled players need to be on the ice period. Ruff ruined Vanek.

There was a season where Paul ****ing Gaustad had more ToI then Vanek :lol: Vanek was the most underused and wrongly utilized players in the whole league. He should have been getting 3 or more minutes a game then he was getting and no, saying Pominville needed to play with Hecht is not an excuse.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
I would hope that if a trade is to happen, Darcy sat down with him and asked him where he would like to go and that could possibly up his trade value as he would be likely to sign an extension with that team.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Using Vanek's game log, Ruff vs Rolston:
  • Ruff: 16 GP, 12 G, 13 A, +3, 12 PIM, 5 PPG, 1 SHG, 58 SOG, 20.7 S%, 19:25 ATOI
  • Rolston: 22 GP, 8 G, 8 A, -4, 8 PIM, 4 PPG, 0 SHG, 61 SOG, 13.1 S%, 17:40 ATOI

So if you take away any games where he was scaled back due to injury, a healthy Vanek under Ruff vs. Rolston would be ... Closer?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad