Speculation: Trading Up Part II: The Midnight Barkov

Status
Not open for further replies.

1TuchAnd1NoTuch

Jul 26, 2011
Buffalo
I really don't think moving either of those guys for 3 draft positions makes sense at all. Ehrhoff is our best d-man, Myers could be our best d-man, and they are both under contract long term. It's back tracking.
I just meant straight up for the pick actually I guess we'd add a prospect too or something

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Since his rookie season, Drew Stafford is 22nd in goals by a RW and 32nd in goals per game for a RW. He also kills penalties and is underrated defensively. You think he isn't a 2nd liner? :shakehead

Please give me a list of 60 RWers who are consistent 20 goal/50 point scorers.

Trying to use Drew Stafford as an example of a bad 1st round pick is a pretty terrible analogy.Stafford has the 6th most goals from the 04 draft. Again, he is quite easily a very good 2nd line RWer.
Entering Larry Quinn territory here, remember he said we have 2 top 20 centers because they were top 20 in scoring?

Stafford is inconsistent. Good Stafford is a good 2nd line player, bad Stafford please healthy scratch him! The problem is we get both STafford's about the same amount of time.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
More speculation, have at it.

Carolina media is reporting that the Hurricanes are prepared to trade their 5th overall pick in the 2013 Draft if their draft target is picked in the top 4 picks.

https://twitter.com/ice_chip/status/348192962188025856
Were they expecting Barkov to fall and now feel Florida is taking him if MacKinnon is going first? That would mean teams were anticipating Nashville taking someone like Nichushkin or Lindholm and not Barkov in the first place which seems weird.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Were they expecting Barkov to fall and now feel Florida is taking him if MacKinnon is going first? That would mean teams were anticipating Nashville taking someone like Nichushkin or Lindholm and not Barkov in the first place which seems weird.

I can see Florida taking Barkov if MacKinnon go first.....

I see Nashville taking a Center over a winger.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Turris was drafted out of a Junior-2 league. It's closer to Ovechkin and Malkin where many scouts felt that Malkin closed the gap between the two as the season went on and some teams had Malkin as their #1 guy. If MacKinnon didn't have such an impressive Memorial Cup he and Drouin would as close as they were just a few months ago.

I think teams have some uncertainty with MacK and Drouin because they played together--- which player was the driver and made the other better.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
In trading Dmen to move up it would be Ehrhoff or Sekera.

I think Carolina will not want to be shut out of the 2nd round....

A deal instead of Ehrhoff +8 for 5 and 35 would be instead:

Ehrhoff+8+ 52 for 5 + 35 + 4th round

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Just some random thoughts:

I really like Barkov... but other than position, there is no way he is better/more valuable than Drouin.

If there is even a sniff of Drouin dropping to 4th, and Nashville willing to trade the Sabres should be all over it (assuming its not an insane asking price). Grigorenko + 8th would be a no brainer for me (and I have high hopes for Grig) but I'm unsure this would get the job done.

More realistically, after DR's 'centres' comment...... I'm starting to believe Nich may just fall. Maybe not to 8, but the 6-7 range. Again, I'd love to see Sabres make a move and get him.... I think the forums would explode either way with this one as he seems to divide opinion pretty strongly. I personally like him and his potential is just too much to pass up (particularly since we have another first).

If for some reason Nich falls to 8 and they take one of RR/Nurse over him, DR should be sacked IMO.

If its 8 and the top 7 go as expected, then I'd target Horvat - nobody else. Maybe try and move down a spot or two if they can. I mentioned in the draft thread - what are the chances of moving both 8/16 for two picks in the 10-12 range, grabbing Horvat and one of RR/Nurse/Zadarov ?

Edit - I don't want Ehrhoff to be moved. As of right now he is clearly the Sabres best D IMO... and it would send a bad message, signing for a long contract and then trading him a year or two in.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I see Nashville taking a Center over a winger.
Right. Even before Nashville locked down that #4 pick most people had them coveting Barkov. It just seems weird that now that the Avalanche won't be taking Jones (which I never thought they would) Carolina feels like their man may not drop to them. I doubt Nichushkin is their guy because of Rutherford and Russians which means they anticipated Barkov possibly being there at #5. Something I don't think anyone ever though would happen.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Right. Even before Nashville locked down that #4 pick most people had them coveting Barkov. It just seems weird that now that the Avalanche won't be taking Jones (which I never thought they would) Carolina feels like their man may not drop to them. I doubt Nichushkin is their guy because of Rutherford and Russians which means they anticipated Barkov possibly being there at #5. Something I don't think anyone ever though would happen.

It's also possible Lindholm was their guy, and now that it looks like Barkov won't be there for Nashville, they think the Preds will take Lindholm instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad