Speculation: Trading Up III: Does Anyone Have Incriminating Photos Of Burnaby Joe?

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
well it is when some are adding Myers, Ehrhoff or Sekera as the juice to move up 3 spots. DR wont do that.

Hopefully he will. We have enough ammo to move back into the 10-12 range and get one of Nurse, Zadarov or Ristolainin to replace them long term. Hoff and Rej are good players, but Lindholm has the potential to be much more. They should always have an eye on what it will look like 3-4 years from now over the immediate future.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
well it is when some are adding Myers, Ehrhoff or Sekera as the juice to move up 3 spots. DR wont do that.

1) Of the three defenseman you listed, I could see Regier dangling Sekera. You could probably nab an additional roster player/pick from Rutherford, too.

2) If Carolina's targeted player goes in the top four, maybe they'd move their pick for a package of picks. Who knows?

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Lindholm is exactly the kind of prospect Buffalo's pool has been lacking. He would really tie what Regier is building together.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

I can see Regier balking on Myers because of the unrealized potential and all the money they just paid him. Ehrhoff has a NMC and maybe his age isn't what Carolina wants, I know they don't need another offensive D-man. Sekera fits everything Car wants (top four defensive D-man on an affordable contract) except physicality.

I don't think Sekera is worth moving up just three spots, but getting #35 would be about fair, especially if Regier can use that to move up from #16 and get a D-man (like Stokes said).

Having Monahan/Lindholm fills a need like Gallag said. I think most people here would take Lindholm over Monahan, but Monahan is a faceoff freak with obvious leadership potential. I'd love to know how Regier and Devine view/rank them.

HockeyH3aven

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
I can see Regier balking on Myers because of the unrealized potential and all the money they just paid him. Ehrhoff has a NMC and maybe his age isn't what Carolina wants, I know they don't need another offensive D-man. Sekera fits everything Car wants (top four defensive D-man on an affordable contract) except physicality.

I don't think Sekera is worth moving up just three spots, but getting #35 would be about fair, especially if Regier can use that to move up from #16 and get a D-man (like Stokes said).

Having Monahan/Lindholm fills a need like Gallag said. I think most people here would take Lindholm over Monahan, but Monahan is a faceoff freak with obvious leadership potential. I'd love to know how Regier and Devine view/rank them.

I'm not trading Sekera for anything outside of a top 20 pick (if that). You take a defenseman in the first round you hope ends up being as good as him. He's still young and affordable, no reason to ditch him. He's also the only consistently effective defensive defense-man this team has.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Sekera is good and I don't prefer to trade him, but if he's the D-man Carolina would want (if they even decide to trade down), I think getting Monahan/Lindholm (and #35) is worth it. The center position is more important and a bigger need for Buffalo. Sekera can be replaced. I like him and it would leave a big hole, but a temporary one that wouldn't matter a whole lot over the next season or two.

I respect your opinion though, and I suspect most fans posting here would feel the same as you do.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
When Pysyk was called up due to Sekera being out, I figured he was a long term replacement for Rej. Similar games, but Pysyk has more upside. If we trade Rej, we will be very thin on defense, but I have no problem giving the kids a trial by fire. We can also sign a stop gap FA.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I'm beginning to think that sliding into the fifth spot is not a pipe dream at all.

I'm wondering if it's even worth it - from Devine's comments, it seems they don't think who they could draft at 5 would be dramatically different than who they could draft at 8, especially if Regier says they will "take the best player" available and aren't targeting a specific position. To forfeit a roster player or prospect in addition to their own pick doesn't seem plausible IMO.

Monahan's skating ability has been questioned in several scouting reports - I wonder if that may be something that discourages the Sabres from taking him at 8, especially when the team speed on the roster has drastically declined in recent years.

I agree - the Sabres' defense is already a little shaky right now in terms of experience and depth so I can't see Regier being as willing to trade any of his top 3 blueliners unless he's getting an equal-calibre defenseman back.

Hoff and Rej are good players, but Lindholm has the potential to be much more. They should always have an eye on what it will look like 3-4 years from now over the immediate future.

Lindholm is exactly the kind of prospect Buffalo's pool has been lacking. He would really tie what Regier is building together.

From the scouting reports I've read on Lindholm, he projects as a very talented 2-way forward with good playmaking skills, solid work ethic and emotionally maturity to play against older competition - but he is not seen as having elite offensive skills or having an immense physical stature to stand out. With that profile, he sounds very similar to what the Sabres have with Larsson and Girgensons, in terms of potential - which is why I don't know that he'd be Regier's choice. I suspect that Regier and Devine may either target a more offensively-skilled forward or a stay-at-home, physical defenseman - two areas they don't have many options right now on their depth chart.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
From the scouting reports I've read on Lindholm, he projects as a very talented 2-way forward with good playmaking skills, solid work ethic and emotionally maturity to play against older competition - but he is not seen as having elite offensive skills or having an immense physical stature to stand out. With that profile, he sounds very similar to what the Sabres have with Larsson and Girgensons, in terms of potential - which is why I don't know that he'd be Regier's choice. I suspect that Regier and Devine may either target a more offensively-skilled forward or a stay-at-home, physical defenseman - two areas they don't have many options right now on their depth chart.

Lindholm's offensive upside is much greater than Girgensons' or Larsson's.

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
Does Myers have the juice around the league to be the principle for #5 alone? Take back a cap dump?

Is it worth it for us first?

Would it be worth it to Carolina?

He's still raw but still has potential.

Would we do it?

Myers and a second for #5 & cap dump.

It addresses Carolina's need, and gives us 2 top 8 picks.

1TuchAnd1NoTuch

Jul 26, 2011
Buffalo
Does Myers have the juice around the league to be the principle for #5 alone? Take back a cap dump?

Is it worth it for us first?

Would it be worth it to Carolina?

He's still raw but still has potential.

Would we do it?

Myers and a second for #5 & cap dump.

It addresses Carolina's need, and gives us 2 top 8 picks.

I'd do it

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I'm not trading Myers for a pick outside of the elite area. MacKinnon, Jones , Drouin and Barkov are a clear cut ahead of everyone else and at #5 it's almost a certainty none of the 4 will be there. Myers potential is higher then any player in the draft outside of the big 4. One bad lockout shortened season isn't going to make me want to trade Myers, especially after watching him his first 3 seasons where he was without a doubt a true top pairing dman. And considering we paid 12 million this year out of his 38.5 million dollar deal, it makes no sense to trade him. Trading Myers so we can draft Lindholm or Monahan (who may very well make it to #8) is extremely underwhelming to me.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I could see if Buffalo did move Sekera/Ehrhoff that they then make a deal for a vet Dman or a UFA signing.

One trade i could see them offer would be to Vancouver and take Ballard salary which allows them to move from 38 to Vancouver's 24

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I could see if Buffalo did move Sekera/Ehrhoff that they then make a deal for a vet Dman or a UFA signing.

One trade i could see them offer would be to Vancouver and take Ballard salary which allows them to move from 38 to Vancouver's 24

If they're that desperate to move salary, then I'm all over it. I think it's more likely that they'd try and eat salary to move a guy for neutral value than try and move a guy at negative value, though. Boy was the Ballard trade was terrible for them. If they never made it, they'd probably still have Ehrhoff. Also, they'd presumably still have Grabner and whoever they'd have picked w/ the first they gave up.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Would you do #8 and #16 for #5 and #35? Would Carolina consider?

That's interesting. I don't think Carolina would consider unless their draft board tells them they'll get the guy they want anyhow. Carolina, to me, will be open to moving the pick but for it to make sense it'll have to help them win now. Upgrading from 35 to 16 in all likelihood isn't going to help them get a player who can help them soon, while downgrading from 8 to 5 decreases that, assuming they've identified a high-end guy who is or is close to NHL-ready.

Other teams will be interested in #5, and I'd expect they'd get NHL-ready help if that's what they sought in return. It makes sense for them. They put a lot of money into J Staal and Semin while already having a lot of money in Ward and E Staal. If they can get the right pieces + progression this offseason they have every reason to believe they can be a playoff team and be a tough out.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
If they're that desperate to move salary, then I'm all over it. I think it's more likely that they'd try and eat salary to move a guy for neutral value than try and move a guy at negative value, though. Boy was the Ballard trade was terrible for them. If they never made it, they'd probably still have Ehrhoff. Also, they'd presumably still have Grabner and whoever they'd have picked w/ the first they gave up.

As of right now Vancouver is at the $64.3M cap committed to 9 forwards, 6 Dmen, and 2 goalies. They have 3 RFAs and 7 UFAs.

they need to unload Salary. Booth, Ballard, and Luongo are the likely players they want to buyout or dump.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
As of right now Vancouver is at the $64.3M cap committed to 9 forwards, 6 Dmen, and 2 goalies. They have 3 RFAs and 7 UFAs.

they need to unload Salary. Booth, Ballard, and Luongo are the likely players they want to buyout or dump.

They have options is all I'm saying. They can buy out a player and trade another while retaining a bit of salary to keep from having to give assets away.

If they're going to give assets to trade away a guy, it should be Luongo. He's the guy that makes a world of difference if you can get rid of him. He's good enough that some team may take him if they're getting paid assets to.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

Lindholm produced at a rate in the SEL that no Swedish-born forward has in his draft year since Nick Backstrom. I don't think a lack of offensive upside is a viable knock on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00