Proposal: Trading up for Matvei Michkov

Would you be willing to trade up for Michkov if he drops out of the top 8?

• Yes

Votes: 45 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 15 25.0%

• Total voters

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
if you have a top 5 grade on Michkov you trade whatever you need to get him...you could move 19 and every 2nd round pick and still not end up with equivalent probability of star potential, fortunately if he slips to vancouver they need to dump cap so we could take on some shit contracts to reduce the ask and we keep a 2nd or two

Still isn’t enough in just draft capital. He isn’t getting past the caps at 8. That means trading the late first and all our 2nd’s, maybe one of the other firsts we have next year to 4-7 plus taking another contract

At 4 San Jose would be averse to it even if we took on Vlasic imo

At 5 the canadiens balk even if taking on anderson

At 6 Arizona hangs up the phone

At 7, MAYBE the flyers would go with it if we took risto.

I’m just throwing shit at the wall with these presumptions, feel free to tell me how wrong I am

thedarkstark

Jun 22, 2012
Pretty massive over-simplification of the situation, but ight my man.
I mean yes and no. If you want to read a great article about Yasiel Puigs defection from Cuba ESPN Magazine did a long 7 page spread on it back in 2014. It's a fantastic read: MLB: Puig's journey from Cuba

Pretty harrowing stuff but if you're walking on eggshells under constant threat of violence why wouldn't you want to just gtfo?

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
In any case Florida beating Toronto puts Florida into final 4 draft spot ...Montreal which owns tge Florida pick cannot now draft David Edstrom at 17th as in tge Athletic's recent mock draft...Instead Montreal will draft in the 29-32 slit depending on how Fkorida does in tge EC Final and if they advance in the Cup Final.

If Florida wins the Cup Montreal will pick 32nd with tgatvoick...

So maybe Edstrom will be there forcisxat #19 ?

If so ...gottaxtake hom..I do not want us drafting a more skilled but perimeter small guy with our 2nd pick ofthis draft....IF KD gets us a 3rd 1st round pick which is EARLIER than#19 and goes small with that one (I'm he took on contracts and or used picks later than#19 in the trade)then Nd only then woukd I say he could risk going small again..I am sorry but no way are you gonna win the big enchilada going through physical playoffs if 3 of your top 6 forwards are Bedard Nazar and Mychkov...1st of all you cannot pkay them all one 1 tiny line...2nd of all tgerevisconly 1 puck among 3 flash go to guys none doing any heavy lifting on the board battles or net front or providing defensive help.

It is stupid.. Sonetines leaving what you think may be tge BPA on the boards is better for your team structure and success..

We already have 2 flashyvsmalk guys up front with BedardxandcNazar and Reichel does not "pkay big" either.

You are nott going to win using all skill but playing...maybe younpikevup reg. Srasons stats.. but when pkayoffschit the bigger teams are going to crisj you.

Hawks have got to add size and grit but thus does nkt mean we draft slow "ligs" with no skill.

Need to identify types who can help our smaller "stars' or "superstars" balance. Out what theorvlibe can do.

No good ifvyou cannot get the puck from the opos to give the smaller flashy stars moreopportunity to do their mGic..If hemmedinto own zone or always getting shoved around...that means less to.e for them to create scoringand more time for them attempting to defend.

Sorry..bu it has to get to kind of balance..
And when I say we must add some Bigs to clear the paths for Bedard,Nazar,Reichel,Bigs who can skate and go to the dirty net areas,and win board battles to keep play alive in the o-zone especially having 1 of our top 2 centers as a 2 way Big of this type ,if not 2 of them in our top 3 centers,I mean if we getcsediced into waiting too long tograb these big "sokutiins" they may be gone before we pick in round 2 starting at #35..

So If Edstrom tgerexatx#19...I want him...but maybe teams draftingv15-18 decide they want him too.So my target for#19 may not make it that far.

Reactions: Drumman44

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Edstrom skyrocketing up the board. I liked him in u18 but I thought Stenberg was better. Stenberg isn't as big as Edstrom but he's not small either.

Roe Jaynick

Mar 6, 2023
Edstrom skyrocketing up the board. I liked him in u18 but I thought Stenberg was better. Stenberg isn't as big as Edstrom but he's not small either.

I liked Edstrom in u18`s but I liked Anton Wahlberg too who could be had in second round. Big centers with some mean streak would be nice to have. Daniil But is someone who I would take a long look if he is still available at 19.

As for trading up I wouldn´t target Michkov now when we have Bedard (WE ARE GOING TO HAVE BEDARD!!). Hawks should target someone like Leonard in that case if possible.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I liked Edstrom in u18`s but I liked Anton Wahlberg too who could be had in second round. Big centers with some mean streak would be nice to have. Daniil But is someone who I would take a long look if he is still available at 19.

As for trading up I wouldn´t target Michkov now when we have Bedard (WE ARE GOING TO HAVE BEDARD!!). Hawks should target someone like Leonard in that case if possible.

I've been watching videos from other teams discussing who to take with their pick. Most of them had draft "experts" on giving assessments of those players so over the past week I've heard a lot of expert opinions on many of the top players.

There is a general consensus on which players will go in the top 6 or 7 with Michkov being the wild card and the statistic that there hasn't been a draft in the last 20 years where a d-man hasn't gone top-5 ... so if a team reaches for a d-man or two in the top-10 - that pushes the forwards down a pick or two. I was focused on the group of forwards projected to be drafted between 10-15. The idea is maybe one of those guys falls to 19 or maybe KD moves up into that 10-15 range.

After hearing several expert opinions on player strengths and weaknesses - I came away with a much better appreciation on 2 players specifically - Oliver Moore and Nate Danielson. I doubt either of them fall to 19, but both might be available at the 10-15 range.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I've been watching videos from other teams discussing who to take with their pick. Most of them had draft "experts" on giving assessments of those players so over the past week I've heard a lot of expert opinions on many of the top players.

There is a general consensus on which players will go in the top 6 or 7 with Michkov being the wild card and the statistic that there hasn't been a draft in the last 20 years where a d-man hasn't gone top-5 ... so if a team reaches for a d-man or two in the top-10 - that pushes the forwards down a pick or two. I was focused on the group of forwards projected to be drafted between 10-15. The idea is maybe one of those guys falls to 19 or maybe KD moves up into that 10-15 range.

After hearing several expert opinions on player strengths and weaknesses - I came away with a much better appreciation on 2 players specifically - Oliver Moore and Nate Danielson. I doubt either of them fall to 19, but both might be available at the 10-15 range.
Can we get Moore, Leonard, Danielson in the 10-15 range? Probably closer to 10-13 range. I'd like to to get another playmaker before we start taking massive swings on DMen.

If we offer our 2 of our later second rounders, how far can we move up from 19?

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Can we get Moore, Leonard, Danielson in the 10-15 range? Probably closer to 10-13 range. I'd like to to get another playmaker before we start taking massive swings on DMen.

If we offer our 2 of our later second rounders, how far can we move up from 19?

Yeah, that's kind of the 64,000 dollar question isn't it. And the depth of this draft class makes the historical precedents of moving up in the draft a little more difficult to figure out.

In the past, moving up from 19 to 11 would probably cost a 2nd and 4th or thereabouts. This year - who knows and maybe there won't be a trade partner willing to drop down.

All very intriguing and good grist for the mill that is these hockey blogs.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
There's no way he's falling that far.

Yeah no way a talent like him is falling out of the top 5.

If he's available after that I would trade a shitton of picks to get him.

But it's just too much of a what if. He's not falling most likely, and if he is, it's still going to be impossible to trade for a top 10 without giving up a 24 first or one of our better prospects I feel like.

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019

Yeah no way a talent like him is falling out of the top 5.

If he's available after that I would trade a shitton of picks to get him.

But it's just too much of a what if. He's not falling most likely, and if he is, it's still going to be impossible to trade for a top 10 without giving up a 24 first or one of our better prospects I feel like.

It's fine to give up Tampa's '24 1st to get Michkov IMO.

Reactions: HawksDub89

thedarkstark

Jun 22, 2012
I think it takes 19, TBs pick next year, our 2nd, just to not get hung up on immediately. Moving into the top 10 of such a deep draft is going to cost a lot especially if Michkov If still available any smart team will use that as major leverage.

Philly at 7 is probably the most likely spot to try and trade up to. All the blue chip prospects will be gone by 7 and they desperately need picks to restock the farm.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Of course I’m taking this rumor with a huge grain of salt, but if true, wouldn’t that be a good sign rather than a red flag? It would show that he wants to come over and if that’s the case, it will happen sooner or later.

....What?

How could that possibly be a good sign? Do you think if he comes over, he gets ALL of his family out of there? This would be disastrous, if true. And likely means he never comes over, as he would always need to worry about the safety of his family in Russia.

I mean yes and no. If you want to read a great article about Yasiel Puigs defection from Cuba ESPN Magazine did a long 7 page spread on it back in 2014. It's a fantastic read: MLB: Puig's journey from Cuba

Pretty harrowing stuff but if you're walking on eggshells under constant threat of violence why wouldn't you want to just gtfo?

The situation in Cuba and Russia are NOTHING alike.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
....What?

How could that possibly be a good sign? Do you think if he comes over, he gets ALL of his family out of there? This would be disastrous, if true. And likely means he never comes over, as he would always need to worry about the safety of his family in Russia.

The situation in Cuba and Russia are NOTHING alike.
I love Michkov's talent (even if smallish), but the uncertainty and negative vibe puts him at a discount to his talent. The Hawks still have a long way to go and the meter starts when we draft Bedard. While Michkov as our #2 playmaker would be fantastic, we can't give up a ton of assets for what is so much uncertainty off the ice. We can't take massive risks yet.

That's the realities of Michkov. If anyone is like Kane, it's Michkov. Bedard has playmaking skill like Kane, but he's more a sniper like Matthews. Regardless, the genius hockey IQ of both Bedard and Michkov makes the Hawks incredibly fun to watch.

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com

Oh yeah, I meant our own, which is obviously a no go.

I would give up any combo of our late firsts and 2nds for him (within reason).

I think it takes 19, TBs pick next year, our 2nd, just to not get hung up on immediately. Moving into the top 10 of such a deep draft is going to cost a lot especially if Michkov If still available any smart team will use that as major leverage.

Philly at 7 is probably the most likely spot to try and trade up to. All the blue chip prospects will be gone by 7 and they desperately need picks to restock the farm.

19c0aa67c5c4fce1225a681923b13f92.jpeg

• Haha

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Detroit, ANA, and Nashville have alot of pieces to move in a bidding war. Too expensive and I'm worried KD will play it as smartly as he did with MAF.

The plan is perfect so far, undersell and wait for the bounce, let's not screw it up getting cute.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00