Trading the Hossa Contract

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
...to Arizona or another floor team ...obviously there would be significant value to that team ...cost only $1 million actual cash per season remaining on the Hossa contract but the cap number at a bit over $5 million. .so helps a floor team a lot ...

Thus we SHOULD not be needing to "give" picksborcassets to get them to take it off our hands...but the question is how high a pick could we get from me them to make the trade happen?
Another 3rd rounder ?2nd rounder too much?But what IF another team will lose more money trying to reach the higher floor?Remember. .the cap could rise to $80 million ...so if that is the new cap the floor is going up too ...Some teams struggle with attendance...Arizona..Florida...Carolina...will we have 3 bidders seeking g the Hossa contract?IF so it ought to drive up our price.

Thoughts anyone?

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
No, teams doing other teams a cap favor do not throw in assets for the 'privilege' of doing so, lol.

The Blackhawks will be adding something to move Hossa's contract, if they do. It probably won't be something huge, more like a 3rd or 4th round pick or something, but they'll be the ones adding something in a package, not the team receiving Hossa.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
No, teams doing other teams a cap favor do not throw in assets for the 'privilege' of doing so, lol.

The Blackhawks will be adding something to move Hossa's contract, if they do. It probably won't be something huge, more like a 3rd or 4th round pick or something, but they'll be the ones adding something in a package, not the team receiving Hossa.

Thomas was traded for a second round pick.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Thomas was traded for a second round pick.

Which Tim Thomas trade are you referring to? Panthers, Stars or Islanders?

EDIT: Oh, the Islanders. If your point is that GMs are dumb enough to do anything, then ok, it's a stretch but maybe. Unfortunately Garth Snow isn't employed any more.

By comparison, the Red Wings had to move the 16th overall pick to get Arizona to take Datsyuk's contract, but got the 20th and the 53rd back. I think something like that is way more likely. Trade Hossa and a 3rd, get a 4th back.

Last edited:

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
The Wings got a second for dropping four spots. I'm not sure which team got value for Datsyuk there.

My point is that there's no need for the condescendion, lol.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Hossa has a little less value because theres still money hes owed to the team that acquires him. I'm pretty sure Datsyuk wasn't getting paid because he retired.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Ottawa is the perfect place for Hossa. They want to cut payroll, yet still reach the cap floor. They actually may give up something to take on Hossa for that reason alone. If a team struggles to get to the floor, Hossa deal becomes valuable.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
No one is taking Hossa for nothing much less giving the Hawks something for that privilege. I don't know that the cost has to be a ton to move it, but it has to be something or taking something bad back. Find a bad contract in the last year and see if you can move Hossa for that and maybe you get rid of it without much of a sweetener or any. Matt Moulson is owed another 5 million in Buffalo after spending most of the year in the AHL. See if Pegula would rather pay Moulson a million (in retention) and Hossa installments in 3 installments of a million over 3 years or if he prefers paying Moulson 5 million over the next 9 months? Hawks gain 1.3 in cap this year verses Hossa on the books (and no LTIR option) with Moulson in the AHL, but are done with it all together after the year. I really don't see the Sabres pushing the top of the cap in the next couple of season for sure. Tons of cap and no one to sign other then Reinhart and Lehner. Pomminville frees 5.6 in cap next Summer and Bogosian comes off the books for 5.142 the Summer after that. You could maybe even see if they would retain more in exchange for taking Beaulieu who is owed 2.4 for a year. I think you could give his deal away, or throw in a minor perk to have someone take him, or he has a cheap buyout to free more cap if you need it this Summer.

While it is nice to play on the armchair GM and imagine signing Tavares or Stastny, trading for Faulk/Karlsson or signing Carlsson, and then filling out a few other nice free agents....that probably isn't all happening this Summer. Hopefully we add a couple nice pieces this year, have our own kids blossom, and get in a position to add a couple more next Summer where I think you have a better chance of Jokiharju being a top 4 option (I think he can contribute and cut his teeth some this year, but there will be growing pains if he can even make the team for any part of this season) and maybe have the #8 pick ready to help to. We probably don't realistically push the top of the cap this year, so I definitely don't do anything crazy to move the Hossa deal. If you can move it with little sweetener….I would love the flexibility we would gain.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
Ottawa is the perfect place for Hossa. They want to cut payroll, yet still reach the cap floor. They actually may give up something to take on Hossa for that reason alone. If a team struggles to get to the floor, Hossa deal becomes valuable.

Ottawa may be an option, but they have a lot of moving part right now so hard to tell what things look like when the dust settles. They have Clarke MacArthur on a LTIR deal with 2 years left and cheaper cap of 4.65. Save little cap and shave a year off relative to Hossa. Depending on what they move and get back in trades, they might be a place to swap a center where it is mutually beneficial. If Toews and Schmaltz are your 1 & 2, Anisimov is overpaid to be a 3rd center. Zach Smith has the same term as Hossa (3 years), had a poor season, and is owed 3.25 per. That has to be viewed as deal that Ottawa would love to make disappear. See if they are willing to retain 500-750K and I wouldn't hate him as a 3rd line center for the Hawks. 2.5 for 3 years of Zach Smith is better then paying Anisimov 4.55 to be a third line center. Assuming Duchene is walks (or is traded at the deadline), Anisimov fills depth now and going forward where there is a role he can play higher up in the lineup.

I assume when the parts stop moving, Karlsson, Hoffman, Duchene (at least at the deadline), and maybe others are moving with the net result being younger, cheaper, and some good futures mixed in. Anisimov fills a role on a team that likely needs someone to plug into the top 6 and is on a reasonable deal (even if you retain some to get rid of Smith who at this point is a 9.75 million sunk cost you would be happy without entirely.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
Insurance might be picking up the tab.
I'm guessing it is way easier to snooker the league then an insurance company and the Hawks haven't even tried going that route. An allergy to your equipment being sold to a league that didn't account for contracts that were approved and then subsequently changed how they are handled has the sweep it under the carpet a few times rather then deal with it head on approach, while an insurance company is dealing with real money as opposed to semi-mythical cap money.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I could see us trading Hossa's contract for Darling at 50% retention and Kruger.

Canes ownership saves millions of real world dollars while still being a decent ways away from the cap ceiling.

Hawks get Darling to hopefully help alleviate Crow's workload. Hawks also get Kruger, who isn't worth his contract, but is only signed for one year (and we have more than enough space this year). If Kruger was able to get back to the player he was here for years, than you put him at 4C and maybe Kampf at 3C. If Kruger's hands are still potatoe salad, he goes to Rockford or stays as a 12/13th forward.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I could see us trading Hossa's contract for Darling at 50% retention and Kruger.

Canes ownership saves millions of real world dollars while still being a decent ways away from the cap ceiling.

Hawks get Darling to hopefully help alleviate Crow's workload. Hawks also get Kruger, who isn't worth his contract, but is only signed for one year (and we have more than enough space this year). If Kruger was able to get back to the player he was here for years, than you put him at 4C and maybe Kampf at 3C. If Kruger's hands are still potatoe salad, he goes to Rockford or stays as a 12/13th forward.

Kruger is in AZ.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Interesting, the Hawks must be intent on hitting the FA market hard if that want that cap space open ASAP.

There’s really no other reason as his cap space would open up after game 1 of the season, and be available for the deadline.

If they can clear that cap it needs to be done now. They can add 3-4 meaningful pieces easily this summer, - top 4 D, top 6 winger, good backup goalie and they can be a 4-6 seed next year with upside for more if Jokiharju is the real deal, Forsling takes the step some think he can, etc. Plus they'd still a couple mil to spend at the TDL.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
The several issues to LTIRing a player in cap impact are not brought up. Even if you dont splash it helps for the future season and then isn't a worrying battle after that to remove.

The fact you cant payout any bonuses is a big factor. The hawks are #2 in bonus impacting next seasons cap. Look at all the tip teams there they all have an ltir player which means no extra cap space can cover it so it auto goes to the next season. Its Toronto with Lupul, hawks, Detroit with Franzen around the top.

To say oh they can add... all they added last year was a player who made 1 mil. It's not some gem of a help, they're paying over 1 mil in bonuses the next year.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
TRADE PROPOSAL

Chicago receives: Dave Bolland

Arizona receives: Marian Hossa

Hawks and Yotes have a good relationship and this is beneficial for both teams. Arizona is a budget team and are largely unaffected by the cap. Hossa will cost them less actual money. Chicago has the money to pay Bolland his remaining 5.5M and it saves us from cap hell after next season when we have to re-sign Schmaltz.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
TRADE PROPOSAL

Chicago receives: Dave Bolland

Arizona receives: Marian Hossa

Hawks and Yotes have a good relationship and this is beneficial for both teams. Arizona is a budget team and are largely unaffected by the cap. Hossa will cost them less actual money. Chicago has the money to pay Bolland his remaining 5.5M and it saves us from cap hell after next season when we have to re-sign Schmaltz.

They want to move Hossa to make moves this summer.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
What do you mean? We're gonna be rubbing against the cap when we have to re-sign guys like Schmaltz. Taking on Bolland, whose contract expires after next season, will make it easier on us than having Hossa.

Nah. They still have Anisimov, Murphy, and Rutta accounting for $10m+ of cap that can honestly be removed if needed, plus the standard 1-2m in organic cap growth. If you assume Schmaltz gets 6x6 or something then Anisimov will account for that raise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad