Trading of Thomas Vanek

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Thomas Vanek is our big pending free agent with real value. We're last place in the Eastern Conference with the deadline coming up real shortly. 14G 22A in 43 games for the highest PPG on Detroit on a team with a terrible, terrible PP.

Last year's big winger went for Marko Dano and a first rounder. He had 34 points in 60 games for Winnipeg.

With the loser point has pretty much every team in contention with the only teams out being Detroit (come on), Arizona, and Colorado. Colorado has real value in Matt Duchene and Gabriel Landeskog but that feels like a post expansion draft trade with teams losing players of value. Also have Jarome Iginla, who looks done. Arizona has a winger in Radim Vrbata, a 6'6 C in Martin Hanzal who might have the most value and Michael Stone.

Dallas could sell, with Patrick Sharp.
Winnipeg could sell, with Drew Stafford
Buffalo could sell, backend with Kulikov.

Not really worth mentioning Kevin Shattenkirk as that's an odd situation. A lot of these teams are making a run, and have an older core. Jonathan Toews should face a steep decline soon. Kesler+Perry+Getzlaf are all 30 or so now and winding down. I think San Jose could be a good fit. Edmonton could lose for more depth.

Me personally, I think you look for a deal similar to Andrew Ladd and sell high as possible. He doesn't have a NTC luckily. Some interesting names prospect wise to me maybe not quite on the level of Marko Dano are Alex DeBrincat, Shea Theodore, Nikolay Goldobin, and maybe even a decreased value of sorts Riley Barber. Ideally would love a big D prospect.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Vanek should easily net Detroit a first round pick.

With his injury luck this season, he needs to be moved right now. Don't wait another week. The playoffs are not happening. Don't squander a potential asset.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Vanek should easily net Detroit a first round pick.

With his injury luck this season, he needs to be moved right now. Don't wait another week. The playoffs are not happening. Don't squander a potential asset.

Marko Dano is a pretty legit kid too added to Chicago's first. Doesn't have a pretty style but 42 points in just under a 100 games. I wonder if we can find a team to trade a young top prospect similar to Washington with Filip Forsberg for Martin Erat. Take a gamble on potential long-term core piece.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Just posted this in the Tank thread:

Not sure if this is the right thread, but Vanek could have additional value at the deadline due to him being a UFA that Vegas might want to target. Whoever acquires him would have a chance to escape expansion with all their current players if Vanek gets signed as UFA from their team (which would count as the team's expansion pick).

Also, similar concept with Tatar. Being RFA, he doesn't need to be protected by an expansion team. He might have additional value to a team like Anaheim who has more players worthy of protection that they do spots.

With respect to teams interested, I can see plenty having interest in Vanek. For various reasons, Anaheim, San Jose, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Nashville, LA and St. Louis.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Thomas Vanek is our big pending free agent with real value. We're last place in the Eastern Conference with the deadline coming up real shortly. 14G 22A in 43 games for the highest PPG on Detroit on a team with a terrible, terrible PP.

Last year's big winger went for Marko Dano and a first rounder. He had 34 points in 60 games for Winnipeg.

With the loser point has pretty much every team in contention with the only teams out being Detroit (come on), Arizona, and Colorado. Colorado has real value in Matt Duchene and Gabriel Landeskog but that feels like a post expansion draft trade with teams losing players of value. Also have Jarome Iginla, who looks done. Arizona has a winger in Radim Vrbata, a 6'6 C in Martin Hanzal who might have the most value and Michael Stone.

Dallas could sell, with Patrick Sharp.
Winnipeg could sell, with Drew Stafford
Buffalo could sell, backend with Kulikov.

Not really worth mentioning Kevin Shattenkirk as that's an odd situation. A lot of these teams are making a run, and have an older core. Jonathan Toews should face a steep decline soon. Kesler+Perry+Getzlaf are all 30 or so now and winding down. I think San Jose could be a good fit. Edmonton could lose for more depth.

Me personally, I think you look for a deal similar to Andrew Ladd and sell high as possible. He doesn't have a NTC luckily. Some interesting names prospect wise to me maybe not quite on the level of Marko Dano are Alex DeBrincat, Shea Theodore, Nikolay Goldobin, and maybe even a decreased value of sorts Riley Barber. Ideally would love a big D prospect.

That comparison isn't apt, IMO. Ladd's value came from the type of the player he was - that grit and skill combo - and the fact that he had a couple Cups (let alone one in Chicago already). I don't think Vanek has 1st + prospect combo generally speaking, although with how weak this draft is, GMs might not be as attached to their 1st rounders as usual. Vanek's salary also helps.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
That comparison isn't apt, IMO. Ladd's value came from the type of the player he was - that grit and skill combo - and the fact that he had a couple Cups (let alone one in Chicago already). I don't think Vanek has 1st + prospect combo generally speaking, although with how weak this draft is, GMs might not be as attached to their 1st rounders as usual. Vanek's salary also helps.

I posted that in the GT but not in here. I get Andrew Ladd was a captain, his role, but even in his last year in Winnipeg he was kinda eh. Thomas Vanek was also a captain, I suppose.

This year, expiring contracts on the wing, you don't have much. Up front last year you had Eric Staal, Lee Stempniak (career year), Mikkel Boedker, Andrew Ladd, and even a guy like Kris Versteeg. Those guys bring skill. There really isn't much skill this year, plus like pointed above, being a UFA has more value this year than past year's with the expansion draft.

I still think in terms of value, they're similar - Ladd from 16' and Vanek in 17'

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Just posted this in the Tank thread:

With respect to teams interested, I can see plenty having interest in Vanek. For various reasons, Anaheim, San Jose, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Nashville, LA and St. Louis.
While Chicago would be a great fit on paper, they've said they're not trading their first round pick, since they're hosting the draft this year.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Still leaves a possibility for debrincat. 5'7 of pure amazingness

Johnny Hockey is around that size. Jonathan Drouin isn't massive. Patrick Kane isn't big. He plays a mold similar to that style. Mitch Marner is a 160 lb 19 year old rookie with 46 in 53.

I wouldn't hate taking a gamble on skill.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Johnny Hockey is around that size. Jonathan Drouin isn't massive. Patrick Kane isn't big. He plays a mold similar to that style. Mitch Marner is a 160 lb 19 year old rookie with 46 in 53.

I wouldn't hate taking a gamble on skill.

My thoughts as well. Whatever we get for vanek we should gamble on high skill. Draft Yamamoto, trade for debrincat (dude plays nothing like Tatar or nyquist). Or getting a defenseman would be ok too.
The NHL is about speed and skill

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
While Chicago would be a great fit on paper, they've said they're not trading their first round pick, since they're hosting the draft this year.

Like Chris84 said, I would happy take their 1st in '18 instead. ;)

And regarding Debrincat, I would be stoked to have him as well. Yeah, he might not make it in the end, but I would gladly take the risk on the little Detroiter.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
i'll be pretty shocked if they move him at all

Why?

Holland's phone is going to be blowing up with inquiries and offers for Vanek with his cheap cap hit and there's every reason to think Vanek would ask to be moved to a playoff team. He has no allegiance to Detroit and every one wants a shot at a Cup.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Why?

Holland's phone is going to be blowing up with inquiries and offers for Vanek with his cheap cap hit and there's every reason to think Vanek would ask to be moved to a playoff team. He has no allegiance to Detroit and every one wants a shot at a Cup.

yeah but we are only 7 points out of a playoff spot gotta keep that streak alive!

maybe trade for Stafford or something?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
He has no allegiance to Detroit and every one wants a shot at a Cup.

Allegiance might come in the form of Holland offering him a nice contract extension. Playing for a Cup is obviously a hockey player's dream, but having locked in job security to the tune of millions of dollars has to be a serious consideration.

If Vanek stays, he's all but guaranteed another $12 million from the Wings. $4 million over 3 years at least. If he gets traded and gets hurt or has a bad showing, he's stuck settling for another one year show-me contact.

The market for Hudler bottomed out last year after a soft playoffs and the same could happen to Vanek.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Allegiance might come in the form of Holland offering him a nice contract extension. Playing for a Cup is obviously a hockey player's dream, but having locked in job security to the tune of millions of dollars has to be a serious consideration.

If Vanek stays, he's all but guaranteed another $12 million from the Wings. $4 million over 3 years at least. If he gets traded and gets hurt or has a bad showing, he's stuck settling for another one year show-me contact.

The market for Hudler bottomed out last year after a soft playoffs and the same could happen to Vanek.

Vanek turned down a huge deal from the Islanders and signed at like 3Y 6M AAV to play in his wife's hometown. I know long-term security is great and all, but I think Vanek personally is looking for more than just that. He's already signed a 7Y 50M deal, the Minnesota deal and he had his entry deal. Vanek's made a lot of money.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Holland already said he's going to wait and see. So we aren't going to trade him before the TDL. We just have to hope he stays healthy

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Why?

I think it was when we won in Buffalo, Vanek openly spoke about expecting to be traded

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Vanek turned down a huge deal from the Islanders and signed at like 3Y 6M AAV to play in his wife's hometown.

The deal was for 19.5 million over 3 years. That's 6.5 million a year. That's a pretty sweet hometown discount.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
The deal was for 19.5 million over 3 years. That's 6.5 million a year. That's a pretty sweet hometown discount.

Well from a lot of sources, Vanek turned down a contract offer from the Islanders in the same ballpark of his previous day which I mentioned above. That deal was 7Y at 50M. So going from that to signing for 19.5M for 3 years is a hometown discount. Vanek was the biggest free agent on the market by far and signed for very little length.

He took a hometown discount there. He was coming off a 70 point-ish season I think. People only like to talk about his playoff run with Montreal but even then, he had one less point than Patches for second on team for points per forwards.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I think it was when we won in Buffalo, Vanek openly spoke about expecting to be traded

well yeah he said he understands and is okay with it

but he forgot he was playing under Ken Holland and not a real GM :laugh:

the only way Vanek gets traded is if he goes to Holland flat out asks for it

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I am really not sure what people are actually going to pay for Vanek. He didn't move well in Long Island at the deadline and then performed badly in Montreal the last time he was in this situation. I think that might factor into this.

I would like a 1st round pick and heck I would like to do the Tkachuk or Weight deal where we bring him back next year on July 1st. But we might get stuck with two seconds. A first and a prospect might be tough to get. We also are not sure how the expansion draft will impact this, it could be to our benefit or maybe not. I would be trying to peddle Smith into the trade for defensive depth hoping to get a teams younger fringe d-man that might not be needed for this playoff run but has lots of potential somehow involved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad