Speculation: Trades you could see this offseason

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
I think we will try to trade Callahan, Killorn, Johnson, Coburn, and maybe J.T. Miller if he asks for too much money. I don’t think we trade all of those guys. Some we may not be able to at all. My key word is try there. I think they want to make some room for these young kids who are ready to make the jump to the nhl (Erne, Cirelli, Joseph, Peca, and Cernak etc.) Also I think we will either end up with McDonagh extending or signing Karlsson if/when he hits FA. Just my prediction.

Unless the plan is to move McDonagh or Sergachev to the right, I think KoekKoek may be traded or packaged with one of the above.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
I think we will try to trade Callahan, Killorn, Johnson, Coburn, and maybe J.T. Miller if he asks for too much money. I don’t think we trade all of those guys. Some we may not be able to at all. My key word is try there. I think they want to make some room for these young kids who are ready to make the jump to the nhl (Erne, Cirelli, Joseph, Peca, and Cernak etc.) Also I think we will either end up with McDonagh extending or signing Karlsson if/when he hits FA. Just my prediction.
Why not both?

Let Stralman walk next year.

Hedman-Karlsson
McDonagh-Foote (hopefully NHL ready, if not find an affordable stop gap)
Sergachev-Cernak (hopefully NHL ready)

Can't see why we couldn't or shouldn't work with our magic beans.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
CAR may see a lot of movement with a new GM coming in. Will probably hold on to the best of the young core, tho...Aho, Teuvo, Necas, Slavin and Pesce at least. I'd be inclined to add Skinner, Staal and Hanifin to that list also, without for a vast overpayment coming back.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Why not both?

Hedman-Karlsson

Would be amazing. If anybody could pull it off it's Yzerman.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
For the Oilers Id like them to find some 2nd line wingers for Draisaitl to play with on the RW and LW

RNH - McDavid - Aberg
XXX - Draisaitl -XXX
Lucic - Strome - Puljujarvi
Cagguila - Khaira - Kassian

Keep Yamamoto in either Junior or in Bakersfield to develop down there with Benson and Hebig, and Maksimov, Safin who might turn pro ..and some of their NCAA guys in Vesel,

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
Would be amazing. If anybody could pull it off it's Yzerman.
I doubt it will happen, but it's nice to dream anyway. It would be the most lethal defensive core, if Cernak and Foote continue to excel to the players that I feel like they're going to become.

I would only want to give McDonagh a 5 year extension though. I can see him trailing off in his early 30's.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Unless the plan is to move McDonagh or Sergachev to the right, I think KoekKoek may be traded or packaged with one of the above.
What would Tampa's ask be for Koekkoek + Killhorn or Johnson?

5M a yr for Johnson for the foreseeable future is steep though.

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017

Johnson's worth it if you have need for a 2C. Brayden Point has made him completely expendable here though, so there's no question in my mind we move him to make our books lighter.

I'd personally move him for a similarly aged player. My ideal is someone like Justin Faulk from Carolina. Getting someone like that would mean we'd be out on Karlsson though.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013

5M a year for Johnson is an absolute steal.

Killorn has a full NTC until I believe next year so he'd have to waive to the Oilers (which he might actually do, who knows), but he and Koekkoek could probably be had for a quantity deal.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Johnson's worth it if you have need for a 2C. Brayden Point has made him completely expendable here though, so there's no question in my mind we move him to make our books lighter.

I'd personally move him for a similarly aged player. My ideal is someone like Justin Faulk from Carolina. Getting someone like that would mean we'd be out on Karlsson though.
Oilers don't need a 2C ...I was looking at him more to play on the RW with either McDavid or Draisaitl

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I doubt it will happen, but it's nice to dream anyway. It would be the most lethal defensive core, if Cernak and Foote continue to excel to the players that I feel like they're going to become.

I would only want to give McDonagh a 5 year extension though. I can see him trailing off in his early 30's.

Agree. Karlsson could make so much more money outside of Tampa. Although I think we will end up with one of either Karlsson or McDonagh. My money would be on McDonagh since he's already here and would probably be the more likely one to take a discount to play here. I think Karlsson is traded this off-season and re-signs wherever he is traded to.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Zuc on draft day

If possible Staal or Smith
If someone actually took Staal, that would be bonza.

I'd like to see Smith back on the team next year. He's had one bad year, and honestly he's a lot better than some of the garbage in our lineup right now.

There was really no point to sending him down other than AV's ego as usual.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
5M a year for Johnson is an absolute steal.

Killorn has a full NTC until I believe next year so he'd have to waive to the Oilers (which he might actually do, who knows), but he and Koekkoek could probably be had for a quantity deal.
I mean, Killhorn would get a very good opportunity to play with McDavid..

On second thought I'm not sure where the Oilers would actually fit Koekkoek in the lineup with Sekera, Klefbom, Nurse and Russell all being LHD provided they are all here come fall considering who our idiot of a GM is.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Why not both?

Hedman-Karlsson

That's going to be in the neighborhood of 28 million on three players who all play the same position.

You hopefully have three guys there you can plug in (not a guarantee) and even if it works, you'll have to keep plugging in ELC's over and over because nobody is getting re-signed.

I honestly don't think the overkill is worth it. Just Hedman and Karlsson together gives you the best defense in the NHL and you'll be able to plug holes elsewhere in the lineup.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I mean, Killhorn would get a very good opportunity to play with McDavid..

On second thought I'm not sure where the Oilers would actually fit Koekkoek in the lineup with Sekera, Klefbom, Nurse and Russell all being LHD provided they are all here come fall considering who our idiot of a GM is.
You can have Sustr for free. Also, it is spelled K-i-l-l-o-r-n. There is no 'h'

Reactions: Bodi Finds the Fire

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I could see Jacob Trouba to Detroit. Winnipeg is in a bind. Ehlers makes $6 million next year. Hellebuyck, Trouba, Morrissey, Lowry and Armia are all RFAs. Laine will get a huge raise the following year, with Wheeler becoming a UFA. The Jets are better with Trouba, but they need to give room for Tucker Poolman to grow. Enstrom will walk, Sami Niku will probably step in. But I still don't see how everyone can be re-signed under the Cap. Trouba has been yearning for primetime minutes. I think Detroit hasn't had a prime-time defenseman since Lidstrom.

They have an extra 1st from Vegas. Jets would like a 1st round pick, they have built their team through drafting.

So something around Trouba for Athanasiou, Hronek and Detroit's 1st.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad