Proposal: Trade Juuse Saros

Trade Saros?

• Total voters

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Same, I'm not a real fan of Zegras, Dach or Pinto.
Something else would have to be added to pinto and dach but Zegras has already hit 60 points twice as a 23 year old that plays center adding him would give us a low end line 1 center a potential mid to top line center something this team hasn’t had.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
I don't know I'd trade Askarov straight up for half those guys.
I can see an argument against pinto and dach but the other would be solid adds. Signing saros askarov becomes expendable and a clear direction that this team wants to compete.
Zegras is a 23 year old center that has already hit 60 points twice
Necas is a 25 year old that is a 2 time 20 plus goal scorer and has already hit 70 points
Konecny is a 27 year old who is a back to back 30 goal scorer
Batherson is a 26 year old that has back to back 60 point season
No disrespect but you would be crazy to not want these players. For a team that is carried by 2-3 guys is lacking secondary scoring and the reason we don’t go past the 1st round. It’s the same conversation every year. We have to stop signing mediocre players and go after some top notch players if we want to be more than a playoff team and a 1 round exit. I don’t know about you but I want to give forsberg and Josi some much needed help. The zucker type players will only give you so much. We have to dig ourself out of mediocrity. Us fans deserve it but more importantly forsberg saros and Josi deserve it

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I can see an argument against pinto and dach but the other would be solid adds. Signing saros askarov becomes expendable and a clear direction that this team wants to compete.
Zegras is a 23 year old center that has already hit 60 points twice
Necas is a 25 year old that is a 2 time 20 plus goal scorer and has already hit 70 points
Konecny is a 27 year old who is a back to back 30 goal scorer
Batherson is a 26 year old that has back to back 60 point season
No disrespect but you would be crazy to not want these players. For a team that is carried by 2-3 guys is lacking secondary scoring and the reason we don’t go past the 1st round. It’s the same conversation every year. We have to stop signing mediocre players and go after some top notch players if we want to be more than a playoff team and a 1 round exit. I don’t know about you but I want to give forsberg and Josi some much needed help. The zucker type players will only give you so much. We have to dig ourself out of mediocrity. Us fans deserve it but more importantly forsberg saros and Josi deserve it
Konecny and Batherson I'd consider, and I would also probably ok Zegras, though with major reservations (I see him as permanent Bruno/Trotz doghouse fodder).

Necas doesn't impress me as a guy that will reliably reproduce close to last year's numbers and I wouldn't consider Pinto or Dach.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Konecny and Batherson I'd consider, and I would also probably ok Zegras, though with major reservations (I see him as permanent Bruno/Trotz doghouse fodder).

Necas doesn't impress me as a guy that will reliably reproduce close to last year's numbers and I wouldn't consider Pinto or Dach.
Only reason I would consider necas is because he wants to move back to center and has the speed trotz said he wanted. Plus he last 2 years of 71 and 53 points with 28 and 24 goals. Only thing that would scare me away would be his next contract.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Only reason I would consider necas is because he wants to move back to center and has the speed trotz said he wanted. Plus he last 2 years of 71 and 53 points with 28 and 24 goals. Only thing that would scare me away would be his next contract.
He might want to but he's no good at it. Carolina wouldn't be slotting Staal and Kotkaniemi ahead of him at the position if he were capable of it.

Reactions: hockey diva

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Yeah most of what I've read about Necas from Carolina fans is that he isn't good at center despite his desire to play it. I think he is kind of like Duchene in that regard, way better on the wing.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Getting some secondary scoring would help our team. They don't have to all be perfect players or stars. But I think for that kind of player, especially for younger ones like Necas etc., the cost-effective way to do it is just like we did with O'Reilly and Nyquist... give up a little on the age side to get the players for just $$$. I don't want to trade major futures assets for secondary players. Not when we basically have holes to fill everywhere as it is. Or the one place we don't have a hole atm is goalie, and I'm not going to trade Saros OR Askarov for the type of asset we could just sign on the UFA market instead and create a new hole in net.

Last edited:

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
My wife asked me about a rumor when we were driving. She asked about Mariner(?) from Toronto for Saros plus another player.

I don't follow the Leafs at all. I said how about Mariner and another player for Saros?

Has anybody else heard that?

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
My wife asked me about a rumor when we were driving. She asked about Mariner(?) from Toronto for Saros plus another player.

I don't follow the Leafs at all. I said how about Mariner and another player for Saros?

Has anybody else heard that?
Talking head speculation and armchair GM’s are the only ones that have said anything about it. No one with any credibility has reported that the Preds and Leafs have spoken regarding the matter.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Talking head speculation and armchair GM’s are the only ones that have said anything about it. No one with any credibility has reported that the Preds and Leafs have spoken regarding the matter.
That is what I thought. You rarely see me on a rumors thread.

BTW, Jerry Harrison of the Talking Heads is from Milwaukee, about 1 mile from my home.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Frankly if Trotz hasn't picked up the phone on Marner he's not doing his job right. There are a lot of teams you could say the same thing about right now though.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Frankly if Trotz hasn't picked up the phone on Marner he's not doing his job right. There are a lot of teams you could say the same thing about right now though.
The Preds are not going to pay Marner $12M a season. I have never seen him play. Other posters claim that he disappears in the playoffs.

That is the last thing that Nashville needs!

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
The Preds are not going to pay Marner $12M a season. I have never seen him play. Other posters claim that he disappears in the playoffs.

He doesn't disappear any more than any other Leaf. He had a bad postseason this year but has otherwise been perfectly solid. Leafs just need a shakeup (or scapegoat) and he is the most convenient one at the moment.

Obviously price is a major factor but the Preds would be fools not to look hard at this. If we aren't going to pick at the top of the draft any time soon there are very few other opportunities to get a player like this.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia

He doesn't disappear (this postseason excluded BUT their top point producer this year had 4 points and Marner had 3). His production does dip from a regular season rate of 1.109 points/game to a post season rate of 0.877 points/game. Forbergs career rate is 0.728 points/game.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Getting some secondary scoring would help our team. They don't have to all be perfect players or stars. But I think for that kind of player, especially for younger ones like Necas etc., the cost-effective way to do it is just like we did with O'Reilly and Nyquist... give up a little on the age side to get the players for just $$$. I don't want to trade major futures assets for secondary players. Not when we basically have holes to fill everywhere as it is. Or the one place we don't have a hole atm is goalie, and I'm not going to trade Saros OR Askarov for the type of asset we could just sign on the UFA market instead and create a new hole in net.
That’s the route this team has taken for years is going after the lesser players. Minus konecny the players I listed were all rfas so you can just sign those players in the off-season you have to acquire them through trade. Saying that my number 1 option would be to go hard after stammer. He is up there in age but still produces at almost a ppg. Plus he plays center and before anyone says he’s played wing the last couple year so did orielly. As far as the other person I would try everything to sign is Zadarov. We need that defensive defenseman who is has that meanness in him and keep anyone posting up in front of our net. If you was talking about Marner I’m still on the fence I wouldn’t be upset at all if we got him but I don’t think it’s smart to trade saros for him and pay him 12 million a year. You could probably land stamkos and zadarov for around that much. I would trade glass to a team that wants to take a chance on him if you can. He hasn’t shown me anything. If you’re signing saros than I would most definitely try and trade askarov for someone who could help now. Keeping saros and askarov doesn’t make sense to me.

Reactions: Loyal Legion

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
He doesn't disappear (this postseason excluded BUT their top point producer this year had 4 points and Marner had 3). His production does dip from a regular season rate of 1.109 points/game to a post season rate of 0.877 points/game. Forbergs career rate is 0.728 points/game.
I looked at his playoff goal scoring during the last 5 seasons. They were 0, 0, 3, 2 and 1. I believe that the 3 goals came in a year with 11 games played. The Leafs made the playoffs in all 5 of those seasons.

Six goals in I don't know how many games, maybe 30, does not impress me. I know that nobody is Wayne Gretzky, but he sounds like another Colin Wilson to me.

I bring this up because the Preds scored 12 goals in 6 games. It is hard to win in the NHL scoring 2.0 gpg, even in the playoffs.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
That’s the route this team has taken for years is going after the lesser players. Minus konecny the players I listed were all rfas so you can just sign those players in the off-season you have to acquire them through trade. Saying that my number 1 option would be to go hard after stammer. He is up there in age but still produces at almost a ppg. Plus he plays center and before anyone says he’s played wing the last couple year so did orielly. As far as the other person I would try everything to sign is Zadarov. We need that defensive defenseman who is has that meanness in him and keep anyone posting up in front of our net. If you was talking about Marner I’m still on the fence I wouldn’t be upset at all if we got him but I don’t think it’s smart to trade saros for him and pay him 12 million a year. You could probably land stamkos and zadarov for around that much. I would trade glass to a team that wants to take a chance on him if you can. He hasn’t shown me anything. If you’re signing saros than I would most definitely try and trade askarov for someone who could help now. Keeping saros and askarov doesn’t make sense to me.
I will focus on your last sentence. Askarov needs another season in the AHL to give him more experience and build up his stamina. My wife and I both believe that, and we don't agree on hockey issues that often. He would benefit from backing up Saros. Maybe 1/3 of the games, then a season of 50%. That was the way Rinne and Saros did it. I think that is a sound way of breaking in a new starting goalie.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I looked at his playoff goal scoring during the last 5 seasons. They were 0, 0, 3, 2 and 1. I believe that the 3 goals came in a year with 11 games played. The Leafs made the playoffs in all 5 of those seasons.

Six goals in I don't know how many games, maybe 30, does not impress me. I know that nobody is Wayne Gretzky, but he sounds like another Colin Wilson to me.

I bring this up because the Preds scored 12 goals in 6 games. It is hard to win in the NHL scoring 2.0 gpg, even in the playoffs.
Marner isn't really a goal scorer, he does some but he is more of a playmaking type, or at least has been. He's a guy you get to set Forsberg and ROR up, much like he has done for Mathews. He's going to pull 30g in the regular season but give you 50-60 assists to go along with it.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Marner isn't really a goal scorer, he does some but he is more of a playmaking type, or at least has been. He's a guy you get to set Forsberg and ROR up, much like he has done for Mathews. He's going to pull 30g in the regular season but give you 50-60 assists to go along with it.
Thanks for the info.

You made me certain that he isn't worth 12 million, but Mathews certainly is.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
I will focus on your last sentence. Askarov needs another season in the AHL to give him more experience and build up his stamina. My wife and I both believe that, and we don't agree on hockey issues that often. He would benefit from backing up Saros. Maybe 1/3 of the games, then a season of 50%. That was the way Rinne and Saros did it. I think that is a sound way of breaking in a new starting goalie.
rinne was also
The ages or situations don’t match up like they did saros and rinne. Saros was 21 when he started backing up Rinne the same age as askarov. Rinne was 34 and had 3 years left on his 7 million dollar contract and Saros is 29 and in need of a new contract most definitely 6-8 years more plus more money than his current contract. If he signs that type of contract then askarov will be 28-30 and saros will be 36-38. No way askarov will want to be a back up for that long. And to all the people that says sign saros and trade him in a few year those types of contracts are harder to more and doesn’t have as much value. Saros also is a goalie that uses his speed not his size like rinne was able to use well into his 30s so his play will start to diminish the older he gets

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
imagine calling a 30 goal scorer not really a goal scorer and let’s not forget the fact that he was playing with arguably the best goal scorer in the league so his instincts were probably to pass to him or Tavares another good goal scorer. Marner has an excellent shot and if he were to shoot more he could definitely be close to a 40 goal scorer

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
If all he can manage to put up is a measly 30 goals in the regular season, he’d have the second most goals on the Preds roster this year…….

I don’t think Trotz would give up the assets required to get Marner and based off previous comments he wouldn’t want to give Marner the contract that it would require to get him. That being said, Why are people grasping at straws and creating ludicrous arguments for why Marner would not be one of the best players on the Preds roster if they managed to get him.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
imagine calling a 30 goal scorer not really a goal scorer and let’s not forget the fact that he was playing with arguably the best goal scorer in the league so his instincts were probably to pass to him or Tavares another good goal scorer. Marner has an excellent shot and if he were to shoot more he could definitely be close to a 40 goal scorer
Compared to the guys on the team he plays with? He's not really. He's hit 35, and 30, the rest of his years have been mid to low 20's if not teens. Compared to Mathews who lowest seasons are mid 30's in goals and average out somewhere around 50g for his career, yeah there is a difference.

Mathews has a roughly 50/50 split sometimes 60/40 split between goals and assists where as Marner is closer to 30/70 for his career. Marner has been more like RyJo or Joe Thorton, one had a 30g season and another had a 29g season, and I don't recall anyone calling them Goal Scorers. Both were more like 30/70 for careers.

Now he may shift a bit away from Mathews, or he may just keep that same 30/70 split and drop down numbers wise on a different team away from a guy that shoots alot. That's the 11 million dollar question everyone is debating right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad