GDT: Trades & Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
When I first starting building this offseason roster a month and a half ago... I had Sammy in the lineup. He'd had a nice streak going in the regular season, had played well and we were winning.... and now, well it's not completely his fault, but we can't really depend on him to be stealing games either... it's time for someone new.

I moved him in a relatively soft deal on CapFriendly, to a team who very much needs a 1RW, and received a good prospect for a position of need, and a RD with one year term left. Some people here would hate the deal, but it gives cap flexibility, and builds a more solid foundation... I'm not rolling this out, until we are eliminated.
I would pitch him to SLC. He could sell tickets and be the face of the franchise along with Cooley. They have tons of cap space, money to sign him, prospects and picks. I would start with Guenther.

Reactions: aingefan

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I would pitch him to SLC. He could sell tickets and be the face of the franchise along with Cooley. They have tons of cap space, money to sign him, prospects and picks. I would start with Guenther.
Hopefully we find a way to start winning some games and rounds here, and we don't need to talk about this for some time... but if we fail against Boston, we can argue about the details for months. LOL

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Boy, are the UFA Goalies available putrid..

I look at Spotrac... sort goalies by last contract dollar value.

#1. Murray
#2. Samsonov
#11. Jones

LOL

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

#1. Murray
#2. Samsonov
#11. Jones

LOL

Stolarz/broissot/drieger may be good 1b options.

But you would need to have real faith in woll. Which I am not sure i do

Reactions: nuck

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Stolarz/broissot/drieger may be good 1b options.

But you would need to have real faith in woll. Which I am not sure i do

You either do or pay assets to go get someone. Not many teams are giving up better options though.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Holmberg shouldn't get much. McCabe is a #5, so he signs cheap or you let him walk. Knies and Woll depend a lot on how well they play.

All those things happen regardless of Tavares/Marner.
Even if they average out at 1mil raises, entirely likely, that makes Tavares’ 11mil off the cap 7 mil before adding his replacement or reallocated money to keep the roster intact. It’s likely a break even allocation is what I’m getting at, meaning improvement likely comes from those guys getting better rather the small treasure chest it is.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Holmberg shouldn't get much. McCabe is a #5, so he signs cheap or you let him walk. Knies and Woll depend a lot on how well they play.

All those things happen regardless of Tavares/Marner.
McCabe is playing over 20:00 a night so not really a #5 and he has done pretty well. You won't replace his minutes for less than $4.0M. Keep in mind Holl is a $3.4M player and now teams will have more to spend. They need a legit top 4 D to replace Brodie and somebody better than all the bottom pairing assets they have collected to replace McCabe next year, or they need McCabe. The new Brodie is the key and he may cost more than the old one.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

#1. Murray
#2. Samsonov
#11. Jones

LOL

Stolarz is easily my top choice, good numbers everywhere he goes really, even in front of some truly mediocre teams.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
McCabe is playing over 20:00 a night so not really a #5 and he has done pretty well. You won't replace his minutes for less than $4.0M. Keep in mind Holl is a $3.4M player and now teams will have more to spend. They need a legit top 4 D to replace Brodie and somebody better than all the bottom pairing assets they have collected to replace McCabe next year, or they need McCabe. The new Brodie is the key and he may cost more than the old one.

On a Cup-worthy defense core, McCabe is a #4/5. He really needs to be pushed down the lineup, not remain in that spot.

Even if they average out at 1mil raises, entirely likely, that makes Tavares’ 11mil off the cap 7 mil before adding his replacement or reallocated money to keep the roster intact. It’s likely a break even allocation is what I’m getting at, meaning improvement likely comes from those guys getting better rather the small treasure chest it is.

Whatever you think the raises are, they'll happen whether we have Tavare and/or Marner. Moving those guys opens up the entirety of their cap numbers.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
On a Cup-worthy defense core, McCabe is a #4/5. He really needs to be pushed down the lineup, not remain in that spot.

Whatever you think the raises are, they'll happen whether we have Tavare and/or Marner. Moving those guys opens up the entirety of their cap numbers.
That’s fine about McCabe, but he’s at 2mil on the Leafs cap now. A vet #5 is worth three easy, and vet #4’s are more. Tavares’ money is pretty much accounted for keeping the roster as is.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
If we're adding a goalie I would see what Calgary wants for the last year of Markstrom. I don't like the idea of signing any of the available UFA goalies to term of any sort. If we go big game hunting then Saros, but we probably can't afford what it would take to trade for him.

Reactions: Dragao6

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Reilly New Guy
McCabe Lili*
Benoit Timmins
Lajoie* Niemela
Rifai
*rfa
….Is the depth chart going into the off-season

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I fully expect a run at tanev in off season
Everything points to that
Would also love a run at Sean monahan

And should use our first to get a goalie finally!!!

horner

May 22, 2007
Timmins should not be in a top 6, he's not very good.

Reilly *******
McCabe *******
Benoit Liljegren
Woll
Brossoit

Hildeby first call up

Mo Roy
McCabe Tanev
Benoit Edmonson

Rafi first call up
Kokkonen

Trade