GDT: Trades & Free Agency

Zero1

Nov 11, 2021
How much would it cost to get Weegar + Markstrom out of Calgary?

2024 1st + Liljegren + Robertson + Niemela? Is that even close?

Zero1

Nov 11, 2021
Marner for B.Tkachuk + picks, then proceed to trade those said picks with a + to acquire a d-partner for Rielly.

The whole outlook of the team has now changed.
Man, I would love this but the only way he re-signs is if they overpay him. Maybe the new owner wants a culture reset and to make a splash?

If they can expand the deal to include Chychrun, that would be sweet.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Would you rather have Marner @ 10.893 AAV and soon $12+m AAV or Brady @ 8.2m for 4 more seasons?

We lament that Marner isn't much of a performer, but we want the guy that can't lead his team to the post season and with 1 PPG season under his belt. The guy is a big baby as well, well documented in Ottawa.

They both are good players that bring a different style, but Marner to me is a superior player and I'd rather have him. The grass isn't always greener.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Marner is a better player, but Tkachuk would add more to this team.
BT was a f***ing beast the last month of the season. He brings what this team needs. He could do for the Leafs what his bro did for Florida. Sens are not dumb enough to trade him.

We lament that Marner isn't much of a performer, but we want the guy that can't lead his team to the post season and with 1 PPG season under his belt.

They both are good players that bring a different style, but Marner to me is a superior player and I'd rather have him. The grass isn't always greener.
Different players. I doubt Sens make the playoffs with Marner in in place of BT. Let's see how Marner steps it up tonight, down 1-0 and missing Willie. Sorry, I take BT @ .75 Marner's cap hit every day of the week.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Different players. I doubt Sens make the playoffs with Marner in in place of BT. Let's see how Marner steps it up tonight, down 1-0 and missing Willie.

You can make excuses for Tkachuk all you want but he's their captain and part of the reason why they suck, just like Marner is the reason we can't find success in the post-season for whatever reason. You can't excuse one while saying the other is to blame, right?

I have no idea how things would be different if they swapped teams, all I know is that we'd gain a big baby on and off the ice, and a worse offensive player. He takes a lot of selfish penalties and can disappear a lot offensively. The guy parties all the time in Ottawa, through the season, despite their team being terrible.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
You can make excuses for Tkachuk all you want but he's their captain and part of the reason why they suck, just like Marner is the reason we can't find success in the post-season for whatever reason. You can't excuse one while saying the other is to blame, right?

I have no idea how things would be different if they swapped teams, all I know is that we'd gain a big baby on and off the ice, and a worse offensive player.
I guess Crosby is to blame for the Pens missing the playoffs the last two years. Larkin the same for the Wings. Is it possible the Sens, Pens, and Wings are just not good enough?

I'm guessing you think Tavares > Crosby, Larkin, BT, Heisher because he led the Leafs to the playoffs?

Reactions: Mckay

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I guess Crosby is to blame for the Pens missing the playoffs the last two years. Larkin the same for the Wings. Is it possible the Sens, Pens, and Wings are just not good enough?

I'm guessing you think Tavares > Crosby, Larkin, BT, Heisher because he led the Leafs to the playoffs?

If you wanna compare Crosby's and JTs leadership to Brady Tkachuk, that's your prerogative.

What I'm saying is that Brady Tkachuk isn't that great and his leadership has been notably terrible through his run with the Senators. Blaming the fans and just simply not giving a shit through the season. All the other players you listed have all had success in some form of another with multiple dominate seasons -- including MVPs to lead their teams to the post-season. Brady isn't the only reason Ottawa is terrible, just like Marner isn't the only reason we can't have success. Marner is a far better player in almost every facet of the game.

Last edited:

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Calgary isn't going to trade with us, the owner is a petty old clown
Even if Calgary were open to trading with the Leafs, I wouldn't want Markstrom though. Not great numbers, aging goalie with two more 2 years at 6 million. No thanks. I'd rather give our young guys a chance and run with Woll and Hildeby if Samsonov doesn't return and add a vet for backup. And if Akhtiamov keeps doing well then you have 3 young goalies to choose from so why throw an old not so good goalie like Markstrom in their way??

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

I have no idea how things would be different if they swapped teams, all I know is that we'd gain a big baby on and off the ice, and a worse offensive player. He takes a lot of selfish penalties and can disappear a lot offensively. The guy parties all the time in Ottawa, through the season, despite their team being terrible.
Not saying BT is better than MM but you can’t blame Sens struggles on BT. It is like saying Eichel is better than McD bc he won a Cup while leading his team in scoring but McD didn’t even make it to the Finals once.

Anyone thinking BT is a better player than MM is fantasizing he is as good as his brother.

horner

May 22, 2007
Domi and Bertuzzi need to be resigned
Domi 5 yrs @ 4 mil the extra ye to bring down the CAP
Bertuzzi 5. Yrs @ 5.5 mil the extra yr to bring down the CAP
perfect linemates for Mathew's

Great leaders for our young players to follow knowing how to turn it up in the playoffs.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Great leaders for our young players to follow knowing how to turn it up in the playoffs.

I don't see why Bertuzzi should be retained at that price. He's been solid lately and all but we just don't have 5.5M to give to a fairly average player. The Leafs have a lot of wingers to use as well. It's a lot of money and doesn't really plug a hole. I can agree that Domi should be retained based on his ability to be versatile and the emotional connection obviously.

This team needs to pump money in their defensive core. You can suggest trading Marner or whoever I guess but I'm not sure that's something that happens for obvious reasons.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
I'd be intrigued by Montour if you think he can play PP1 as well. As much as the leafs need really good defensive defenders. Feel like they need to upgrade puck moving and offence from the back end as well.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I'd be intrigued by Montour if you think he can play PP1 as well. As much as the leafs need really good defensive defenders. Feel like they need to upgrade puck moving and offence from the back end as well.

Yea, that's sort of the issue. Ideally we could add that unicorn dman who can play ~20 minutes a night against top competition, a guy who has sufficient size and/or physicality to protect the front of our net and battle in the corners during the playoffs, and who can move the puck. It would really help slot everyone else on the blueline more effectively.

We're obviously not going to add an elite #1 dman that does all of that as well as we'd like, but something like a Weegar would be a good fit (though he's not all that big, he at least plays physical), as would Parayko. Both have risky contracts though.

In terms of UFAs, Roy is probably the closest to that (though his puck movement skills are limited.. but still better than guys like Edmundson, Benoit, Lybushkin, etc).

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015

Both can easily be signed to 4.5-5m if its over 5yrs/6yr. (5m/5yr or 4.5m/6yr). Assume the last few years will be an over payment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad