GDT: Trades & Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Are any of these outlandish?

View attachment 843550

I feel like San Jose would trade some picks for younger guys that can play now.
Sam Jose doesn't have enough core pieces yet to start trading away draft picks for roster pieces yet. Smith is basically their only cornerstone type piece. Everything else is secondary type pieces. They are better off continuing what they are doing and stock pile prospects.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Yes, it's a ton of money but talent like his is hard to aquire
No, his or their talent isn't in question; that's not the issue. For me, I couldn't commit to that to him, as well as having Matthews and Nylander locked into fairly ironclad deals.

They, as a group, just haven't done enough, IMO.

Reactions: TheShape

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
View attachment 844050
Moved Marner to jackets for jenner and Werenski traded a first for markstrom .Ya got a few elc players but we need them to take the step. Things can get even better once jt money comes off following year.
Columbus main need is at the C position, so it's highly doubtful that they move a C, for another winger. Not only that, Marner isn't waiving for Columbus.

Zadorov wants double that with 4-5 years, and Edmundson won't sign for that either....

Also, how did you get Markstrom? With what assets?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
No, his or their talent isn't in question; that's not the issue. For me, I couldn't commit to that to him, as well as having Matthews and Nylander locked into fairly ironclad deals.

You can build a team around elite talent and those three are still young enough I'd be willing to bet on them and trust myself to do enough around them

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004

If Marner walks to free-agency, I think that's a really hard sell to Matthews..

Any chance Brad would look at Rossi?

5 9. 20 goals at 22. Not a great player but cheap top 6 c? To get us through the last tavares year?
Minnesota seems to need those types. Why would they want to move him?

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Do you keep Liljegren? How much should we spend back there? Do we need a rethink on the types of guys we have back there, should we look to trade for some young defenseman that are struggling?

They should re-sign him. He's a RHD and we know what we have in him and potential is there yet. Those can be a premium. I'd also look to re-structure the D. They should have more than enough cap space to do so. Matt Roy would be a main target should he hit free-agency due to his defensive ability and size. Carrier, DeMelo, Pesce, Tanev would all be strong targets also to fill in on the RHD.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Doubt Marner waives his NTC but I’d explore that route if we have another playoff disappointment.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Preferably not, but the bolded is TBD.

If they go out early and rather meekly, again. Then everything should be on the table, even if it may hurt some feelings.
He's a Toronto kid, wife and family all from there. If they ask him to waive, he's saying no. He has no reason to waive no matter what the team does. That's TBD in your mind only - he has zero motivation to do so.

And if they ask him to waive, he will hold out for every last UFA dollar because of the disrespect of asking him to waive.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Doubt Marner waives his NTC but I’d explore that route if we have another playoff disappointment.
He will feel disrespected, say no, and then head straight to UFA next year to get every single last dollar he can.

So at that point the relationship is damaged, so why not screw over the team that is disrespecting you?

Almost every NMC player that gets traded either requests a trade themselves, or will only go to a team that is in a better situation to win the cup.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
It's probably close but I doubt San Jose is ready to trade picks of any kind yet

My biggest problem was what to do with Jarnkrok and his 2.1M, he's good value but there's bugger all money to send out I can spend elsewhere so I ended up trading Liljegren, Robertson,, Kampf, Reeves

The way I look at it...next year is going to be a setback one for the Leafs.

The mid-tier players in this league that are upcoming UFAs are going to get PAID with the cap jumping, but the Leafs already over-committed their cap increase to Matthews & Nylander.

They've gotta start building and focusing on 25-26, which to me, would mean that you shoudl probably cash out on the positive value that Jarnkrok likely holds, accumulating draft picks.

Get Robertson, Knies, Minten and Cowan into the lineup on a full time, and meaningful basis. Bobby McMann should have a spot. There's 9 / 12 spots spoken for with the big 4. If Max Domi wants to sign a 3-year deal at reasonable money, you probably do that and maybe move on from David Kampf as well.

Spend the limited cap dollars the Leafs have on finding a real, long term solution on the right side of their D.

Come back the year after with all these young guys having experienced a year of development, and with a bunch of cap space freed up by John Tavares.

Last edited:

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
He will feel disrespected, say no, and then head straight to UFA next year to get every single last dollar he can.

So at that point the relationship is damaged, so why not screw over the team that is disrespecting you?

Almost every NMC player that gets traded either requests a trade themselves, or will only go to a team that is in a better situation to win the cup.

Getting every last dollar he can would involve getting an 8th year by picking some trade destinations.

Reactions: TMLAM34

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Marner is a Toronto boy who's family resides in Toronto, there's no way in hell he's waiving

He's also a mid 20's 100 point 2-way winger, a there's money to chop before you get to him

The forward group is in a good place, we've built some cheap depth and there's guys coming we just need to sort out the backend

Do you keep Liljegren? How much should we spend back there? Do we need a rethink on the types of guys we have back there, should we look to trade for some young defenseman that are struggling?

That question is a symptom of the Leafs problem -- which is that they are seemingly building their defence from the bottom-up.

At $1.35m, Benoit has to be an every night player for you. That means 1 of 2 things -- either your bottom pair is Benoit-McCabe, or McCabe is a top-4 defenceman.

Philosophically, I don't think the Leafs should have a "problem" if their D is:

Rielly - XXX
McCabe-Liljegren
Benoit - YYY

But, in order for that format to be successful, I don't think XXX can be Ilya Lyubushkin, or YYY be Connor Timmins. They've gotta get one guy that is at leas significantly better than those 2.

It's a "cop out" answer, but I think it really depends on who might be available in the trade market, and wherther Liljegren is a piece that the other team truly desires.

Reactions: aingefan

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Which is why it's better to trade him.

Been there, have the T-shirt,
I feel like the once in a century COVID outbreak isn't a high likelihood this time

They should re-sign him. He's a RHD and we know what we have in him and potential is there yet. Those can be a premium. I'd also look to re-structure the D. They should have more than enough cap space to do so. Matt Roy would be a main target should he hit free-agency due to his defensive ability and size. Carrier, DeMelo, Pesce, Tanev would all be strong targets also to fill in on the RHD.

We have to pay him now though, I'm not comfortable giving him top 4 money and that's what he's going to be wanting
Liljegren hasn't proven he can do that yet

The way I look at it...next year is going to be a setback one for the Leafs.

The mid-tier players in this league that are upcoming UFAs are going to get PAID with the cap jumping, but the Leafs already over-committed their cap increase to Matthews & Nylander.

They've gotta start building and focusing on 25-26, which to me, would mean that you shoudl probably cash out on the positive value that Jarnkrok likely holds, accumulating draft picks.

Get Robertson, Knies, Minten and Cowan into the lineup on a full time, and meaningful basis. Bobby McMann should have a spot. There's 9 / 12 spots spoken for with the big 4. If Max Domi wants to sign a 3-year deal at reasonable money, you probably do that and maybe move on from David Kampf as well.

Spend the limited cap dollars the Leafs have on finding a real, long term solution on the right side of their D.

Come back the year after with all these young guys having experienced a year of development, and with a bunch of cap space freed up by John Tavares.

I don't think we can punt a year with our big guys in there primes, I don't mind giving opportunities to the kids up front but they have to deserve there spot in the lineup
That question is a symptom of the Leafs problem -- which is that they are seemingly building their defence from the bottom-up.

At $1.35m, Benoit has to be an every night player for you. That means 1 of 2 things -- either your bottom pair is Benoit-McCabe, or McCabe is a top-4 defenceman.

Philosophically, I don't think the Leafs should have a "problem" if their D is:

Rielly - XXX
McCabe-Liljegren
Benoit - YYY

But, in order for that format to be successful, I don't think XXX can be Ilya Lyubushkin, or YYY be Connor Timmins. They've gotta get one guy that is at leas significantly better than those 2.

It's a "cop out" answer, but I think it really depends on who might be available in the trade market, and wherther Liljegren is a piece that the other team truly desires.

I don't think we can pencil Liljegren into that spot, there's still questions over his ability to take top 4 minutes

Reactions: aingefan

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
This will be a really interesting offseason. Some very solid RD available to potentially fill our needs.

Chris Tanev, 34
Tyler Myers, 34
Dylan DeMelo, 30
Matt Roy, 29
Sean Walker, 29
Brandon Montour, 29
Brett Pesce, 29
Alex Carrier, 27

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
Moving on from Kampf and replacing him with Holmberg saves us already 1.6 million. Should be an easy decision. It's time to really crunch our cap and make the most of it. Paying 2.4 for a 4th line center isn't helping.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I like Marner. I don’t think you would replace his talent. I wonder if being here is the best thing for him.

He really seems to have a paranoia about him. “You are talking about my injury every day” ….. who is? He doesn’t seem to be built for this market. I wouldn’t mind seeing him move on for his own benefit.

Or at least leave the city for the summer.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Why not dump them instead or as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad