GDT: Trades & Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think his next deal would start with a 4 at 5-7 years. 3-4 likely starts with a 5

Would you do 4.33M x 6 years?

At 4 years, I would go 5M

I don't think we end up keeping him though.

Also, if you could find a way to get Muzz and Gio coaching the D, please do that.

Considering our track record in developing defenseman, I am so open to it.

I could see both guys being willing too.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Would you do 4.33M x 6 years?

At 4 years, I would go 5M

I don't think we end up keeping him though.

Considering our track record in developing defenseman, I am so open to it.

I could see both guys being willing too.

I think somebody will give him more as a UFA, especially if he keeps up his current form into the playoffs

I wonder if we're picking the wrong defenseman from the very start

We get the kids who are 6 foot ish with so so skating and tools but have hockey IQ which gives you an NHL player but they don't have high ceilings like Liljegren, Sandin, Niemela etc
I wonder if we should start betting more on high end tools and see what we can produce, the odd bigger body wouldn't hurt either

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think somebody will give him more as a UFA, especially if he keeps up his current form into the playoffs

We get the kids who are 6 foot ish with so so skating and tools but have hockey IQ which gives you an NHL player but they don't have high ceilings like Liljegren, Sandin, Niemela etc
I wonder if we should start betting more on high end tools and see what we can produce, the odd bigger body wouldn't hurt either

I was really high on K'Andre Miller in the draft we got Sandin....I was kinda hoping for a trade up scenario because I felt like at that size and skating ability, you were already getting a great piece, if offensive skill or a nasty side turned out, even better.

Sandin and Liljegren weren't elite at a lot of things, or anything. Dubas just tried to prioritize IQ, and only IQ for the most part. It's great if you can read plays or you will know what is going to happen but if you don't have the speed, skill or strength to do certain things, it doesn't matter.

I felt like we turned a corner in the Knies draft, we've done well for the few picks we've had in these last few years.

Size isn't everything, Hunter drafted a bunch of large nobodies but there's a happy medium somewhere in there.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I was really high on K'Andre Miller in the draft we got Sandin....I was kinda hoping for a trade up scenario because I felt like at that size and skating ability, you were already getting a great piece, if offensive skill or a nasty side turned out, even better.

Sandin and Liljegren weren't elite at a lot of things, or anything. Dubas just tried to prioritize IQ, and only IQ for the most part. It's great if you can read plays or you will know what is going to happen but if you don't have the speed, skill or strength to do certain things, it doesn't matter.

I felt like we turned a corner in the Knies draft, we've done well for the few picks we've had in these last few years.

Size isn't everything, Hunter drafted a bunch of large nobodies but there's a happy medium somewhere in there.

I loved Miller in his draft year as well, he's a great blend of size and tools and what it can produce if you develop it right

I wasn't a fan of what Hunter did, he went for size but none of those guys had anything else to recommend them
Zero 4 way mobility, zero puck skills, they need at least another string to the bow

Reactions: WTFMAN99

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
That would be a $1m pay cut on his last deal $3.5mx4. With the rising cap, he should be able to do better IMO. I would try 2.5mx4.
He has had some issues with injuries and he was 6th in ice time on an average defensive group in Washington. I don't think he has the same leverage he once had. 4 years is definitely too long.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I wonder how a third pair of Benoit - Edmundson would work. McCabe - Liljegren second pair and then focus and spend the money/assets to acquire via trade or free agency a good partner for Rielly. You could always flip Edmundson and McCabe to change things up.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

I think the results are tied to the Directors of amateur scouting and the players they get sold on. Hunter came into the role after the 2014 draft, Lilley in July 2018 and Clark after the 2021 draft. Its more time consuming to look at the area scouts by year but IIRC they canned 18 scouts when Hunter came in so there would have been years of trial and error as successive Directors juggled those spots looking for the right fit, I actually like Clark a lot for Cowan as that would be a selection almost totally driven by him. Later picks have way more input from the area guys so its his minions we have to watch. I read an article from a few years ago where he was pushing hard for SDA with the Panthers 2nd round pick and the fact that he was championing a bust with a high pick is kind of a reverse Cowan move.

I will be more impressed if he hits on Minten and breaks the WHL curse.

2022 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #64 by Elite Prospects
2022 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #53 by FCHockey
2022 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #85 by TSN/Craig Button
2022 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #101 by McKeen's Hockey
2022 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #47 by TSN/McKenzie
2022 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #28 by NHL Central Scouting

Without a ton of research it strike me some other clubs are having better results with NCAA bound players, especially D men,

Reactions: Kiwi

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I think the results are tied to the Directors of amateur scouting and the players they get sold on. Hunter came into the role after the 2014 draft, Lilley in July 2018 and Clark after the 2021 draft. Its more time consuming to look at the area scouts by year but IIRC they canned 18 scouts when Hunter came in so there would have been years of trial and error as successive Directors juggled those spots looking for the right fit, I actually like Clark a lot for Cowan as that would be a selection almost totally driven by him. Later picks have way more input from the area guys so its his minions we have to watch. I read an article from a few years ago where he was pushing hard for SDA with the Panthers 2nd round pick and the fact that he was championing a bust with a high pick is kind of a reverse Cowan move.

I will be more impressed if he hits on Minten and breaks the WHL curse.

2022 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #64 by Elite Prospects
2022 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #53 by FCHockey
2022 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #85 by TSN/Craig Button
2022 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #101 by McKeen's Hockey
2022 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #47 by TSN/McKenzie
2022 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #28 by NHL Central Scouting

Without a ton of research it strike me some other clubs are having better results with NCAA bound players, especially D men,

The NCAA bit Is interesting, though seems as if the majority has e been either mid to late round picks, so they're always going to be longer term projects .

Like Koster was taken in 2019 and we're still haven't settled if he's going to have an NHL career

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Are any of these outlandish?

1711826888043.png

I feel like San Jose would trade some picks for younger guys that can play now.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
The NCAA but I'd interesting, though seems as if the majority have been either mid to late round picks, so they're always going to be longer term projects .

Like Koster was taken in 2019 and we're still haven't settled if he's going to have an NHL career

I wouldn't mind our late first going the NCAA route if he's a defenseman, let's be honest we've struggled to develop them so it wouldn't hurt to try a different strategy, but I'd prefer one of the better schools like Michigan or BC if possible

I wouldn't mind it for a 2nd or 3rd rounder if we had one either, I don't think there's any danger of them not staying with us and they seem to be churning out some very talented players

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Are any of these outlandish?

View attachment 843550

I feel like San Jose would trade some picks for younger guys that can play now.

It's probably close but I doubt San Jose is ready to trade picks of any kind yet

My biggest problem was what to do with Jarnkrok and his 2.1M, he's good value but there's bugger all money to send out I can spend elsewhere so I ended up trading Liljegren, Robertson,, Kampf, Reeves

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It's probably close but I doubt San Jose is ready to trade picks of any kind yet

My biggest problem was what to do with Jarnkrok and his 2.1M, he's good value but there's bugger all money to send out I can spend elsewhere so I ended up trading Liljegren, Robertson,, Kampf, Reeves

I think if he were to come back and have a poor post-season, that would be 3 years of poor performance.

2/3 with Treliving (1 in Calgary, 1 in Toronto) and last year's was pretty poor.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I loved Miller in his draft year as well, he's a great blend of size and tools and what it can produce if you develop it right

I wasn't a fan of what Hunter did, he went for size but none of those guys had anything else to recommend them
Zero 4 way mobility, zero puck skills, they need at least another string to the bow

The crazy part about the Hunter fridges is that they couldn’t even make it to the AHL or even ECHL to at least have some #9D call ups and competition among D prospects pushing each other. Even if Niemela never makes the NHL at least you got him pushing other prospects and letting a Webber type get reps as the babysitter with someone approaching an NHL PMD skillset and risk tolerance.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Any chance Brad would look at Rossi?

5 9. 20 goals at 22. Not a great player but cheap top 6 c? To get us through the last tavares year?

str8kila

May 5, 2016
8CE6AD1D-F089-4CE5-A20A-0EE73ADAA4CD.jpeg

Moved Marner to jackets for jenner and Werenski traded a first for markstrom .Ya got a few elc players but we need them to take the step. Things can get even better once jt money comes off following year.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
View attachment 844050
Moved Marner to jackets for jenner and Werenski traded a first for markstrom .Ya got a few elc players but we need them to take the step. Things can get even better once jt money comes off following year.
I’d take either or with some decent picks.
Use the cap difference elsewhere, have some more bullets for deals or future ELC.

But the Columbus connection is interesting.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think it's a big long shot on Marner waiving at all but if he were...it isn't going to be for Columbus.

I could see maybe Chicago, Dallas, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Vegas, Colorado and LA as possible landing spots if he were to be willing to waive at all.

Most of these places probably don't have what it would take to get a deal across the finish line.

Reactions: ACC1224

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I think it's a big long shot on Marner waiving at all but if he were...it isn't going to be for Columbus.

I could see maybe Chicago, Dallas, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Vegas, Colorado and LA as possible landing spots if he were to be willing to waive at all.

Most of these places probably don't have what it would take to get a deal across the finish line.

It's not just the NMC that makes Marner hard to move. He's 1 year away from UFA. Teams aren't going to want to pay a premium unless they're sure he will sign.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It's not just the NMC that makes Marner hard to move. He's 1 year away from UFA. Teams aren't going to want to pay a premium unless they're sure he will sign.

I think you'd need to bake that into the trade for sure to get maximum return in a trade.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Marner is a Toronto boy who's family resides in Toronto, there's no way in hell he's waiving

He's also a mid 20's 100 point 2-way winger, a there's money to chop before you get to him

The forward group is in a good place, we've built some cheap depth and there's guys coming we just need to sort out the backend

Do you keep Liljegren? How much should we spend back there? Do we need a rethink on the types of guys we have back there, should we look to trade for some young defenseman that are struggling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad