GDT: Trades & Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I think the issue is that the core 4 does not have character or passion that you see on other teams like Boston, Colorado, Florida. They just play a perimeter game in the playoffs. The other issue is that we can't trade any of these 4 players to make roster improvements and we're left with tinkering.

From my perspective, yeah, get Tofolli, get Buchnevich (hell get both and add Parayko lol). But until the core 4 actually starts to perform close to what they're being paid for in the playoffs, this team is going nowhere.

I think the core has been coddled too much at this point. A new coach is needed, a new voice.

They’ve changed all the pieces, multiple times, around that core 4 and yet they still can’t put a legit run together.

Thankfully Tavares’ deal is up soon, so change will come soon if they don’t make a trade

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
in fairness they also acquire a 1st for Kapanen and a 1st for Sandin. Cowan’s an excellent prospect.

And while we never will know what Amirov would have become, there is a reasonable chance he could have been a good player.

And have used their picks effectively

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
Im thinking that picking up Katchouk off of waivers is a good move. League minimum salary guy who sometimes shows what he is capable of (hard-hitting, tough, bottom 6-er). He's inconsistent, but good depth. I can see him doing well popping in for a game or two, here and there, during the playoffs.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Hindsight is 20/20 but come on... they were among the top of the league. Are they supposed to start selling or something? They made mistakes and this team had issues in those times, sure.

We can go down this rabbit hole but at the end of the day, this team is good and it's wild that people constantly complain about lacking some picks. If we have a ton of picks, this team probably isn't very good.
Well, what do they have to show for trading all those assets over the past 5 years? Looking good in the regular season is one thing, but spring hockey is different.

The team's top-heaviness obscures the picture. They have the individual talent to beat up any young team or team with poor structure, but when it comes to good teams that know how to play, they still look naive and without any answers.

The crappiness of the division factors in as well.

Reactions: rumman

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I think the core has been coddled too much at this point. A new coach is needed, a new voice.

They’ve changed all the pieces, multiple times, around that core 4 and yet they still can’t put a legit run together.

Thankfully Tavares’ deal is up soon, so change will come soon if they don’t make a trade
Outside of JT’s cap hit, I don’t really have much of an issue with him. He’s been extremely professional accepting a reduced role. Every time he goes out on the ice he gives it his all. He’s going into the corners, in front of the net and finishing his checks. From the core four, he’s the only one showing some kind of heart and competitiveness to be honest. But that contract is terrible at this point there’s no denying that.

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011

Tbh, I think this is just who the core 4 is at this point. You need three coaches to tell these players to finish checks and dump and chase? I think they just don't have the drive.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Im thinking that picking up Katchouk off of waivers is a good move. League minimum salary guy who sometimes shows what he is capable of (hard-hitting, tough, bottom 6-er). He's inconsistent, but good depth. I can see him doing well popping in for a game or two, here and there, during the playoffs.
Wouldn’t mind picking him up. Works extremely hard, he’s physical and has size. His skating isn’t the best though.

Reactions: Malachi Crunch

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
Wouldn’t mind picking him up. Works extremely hard, he’s physical and has size. His skating isn’t the best though.
Yeah, he could rotate in and out with Gregor. He may be valuable against a team like the Panthers.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Tbh, I think this is just who the core 4 is at this point. You need three coaches to tell these players to finish checks and dump and chase? I think they just don't have the drive.

Yep.. I’ve been advocating for a core change for a few years now.

It’s one reason why I hate the deadline moves so far. Not that they’re bad pieces but I hate pissing away assets when they don’t address the biggest need.

It’s just like shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Yeah, he could rotate in and out with Gregor. He may be valuable against a team like the Panthers.
I’d take Katchouk over Gregor any day to be honest. Reaves will be unplayable come playoffs as well. I like Holmberg but after last nights game, hard to believe Holmberg would have been able to do anything other than get crushed out on the ice…

Reactions: The Podium

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I’d take Katchouk over Gregor any day to be honest. Reaves will be unplayable come playoffs as well. I like Holmberg but after last nights game, hard to believe Holmberg would have been able to do anything other than get crushed out on the ice…

Gregor is fast and aggressive and we need more of that. He's also a very good PKer. I'd take him over Katchouk any time who is not a very good skater and not very aggressive on the forecheck.

Reaves is god damn useless as soon as another team can skate. Panthers and Bruins can skate through their lineup. And we wonder why he can't do anything against those teams? He can't keep up.

Anything that pushes Reaves out of the lineup when healthy is good.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Trade deadline thoughts....

I'm not sure what we should do here.... It's easy to have an extreme reaction to the game last night, and the prior Boston one... but I just don't know... I don't know who was affected by the flu, and to what degree that affected our play. If I knew we were fully healthy, and we just weren't good enough, or couldn't rise to the occasion, I'd probably say don't trade any futures right now. If there is a legit reason we had an excuse... ok, go ahead and get that RD.

If we fail this year again, it's time for change... and some big change... we can't keep doing the same things, with the same people, and expecting something different to happen.
Does anyone think eight years of failure are enough to convince Shanahan? At this point they can only fix half the core problem since 34, and 88 can’t be moved and the other two will have to be let go for free. Stellar asset management by El Presidente…….

Reactions: Suntouchable13

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Gregor is fast and aggressive and we need more of that. He's also a very good PKer. I'd take him over Katchouk any time who is not a very good skater and not very aggressive on the forecheck.

Reaves is god damn useless as soon as another team can skate. Panthers and Bruins can skate through their lineup. And we wonder why he can't do anything against those teams? He can't keep up.

Anything that pushes Reaves out of the lineup when healthy is good.
I think it’s very clear we need to acquire a bottom six forward who can push Reaves out of the lineup and play on the penalty kill so we don’t see Nylander on it again.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Well, what do they have to show for trading all those assets over the past 5 years? Looking good in the regular season is one thing, but spring hockey is different.

The team's top-heaviness obscures the picture. They have the individual talent to beat up any young team or team with poor structure, but when it comes to good teams that know how to play, they still look naive and without any answers.

The crappiness of the division factors in as well.

fj5bua6rl2d51.jpg

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I’m not sure Bert and Domi are a mesh with Willy but I like that they were both in the fight early last night.
And I loved McCabe trying to drag everyone into it. Targeting the rat was *chef’s kiss*. He should have done it again after the cheap shot on Knies.
So, I’m all for anyone who hates that dude.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
People worried about picks when we've been a contender all this time. It's wild.

We'll have plenty of time in 5-7 years to pick a million times and hope we find good players. Now's the time to find a way to win a stanley cup and you need to get aggressive to do that. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I'd rather try than to sit on our hands because we're afraid that a pick is gonna be good in 5 years.
Contenders for what exactly? President’s trophy? Eastern Conference semi finals?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I think it’s very clear we need to acquire a bottom six forward who can push Reaves out of the lineup and play on the penalty kill so we don’t see Nylander on it again.

Any positive addition will be good to see Reaves back in the pressbox.

I’m not sure Bert and Domi are a mesh with Willy but I like that they were both in the fight early last night.
And I loved McCabe trying to drag everyone into it. Targeting the rat was *chef’s kiss*. He should have done it again after the cheap shot on Knies.
So, I’m all for anyone who hates that dude.

That line is just putrid defensively. They are getting outchanced far too much. They went on a heater against bad teams but if Nylander can't make a play or skate it out, they are just not getting out of the zone.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC

Agree with you. imo the only way to shake up this core is to move one of them. New coaches (unless extreme a la Torts) won't have an effect imo. They run the asylum right? And I don't think JT is the problem. When we didn't win in the first 3 years of that contract, we were toast. A core shakeup MUST include one of 34, 88 or 16. It will never be 34. 88 is signed. 16 is the option, which is a massive mistake imo. So, we fckd.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Any positive addition will be good to see Reaves back in the pressbox.

That line is just putrid defensively. They are getting outchanced far too much. They went on a heater against bad teams but if Nylander can't make a play or skate it out, they are just not getting out of the zone.
The talent gap is too great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad