GDT: Trades & Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Trade deadline thoughts....

I'm not sure what we should do here.... It's easy to have an extreme reaction to the game last night, and the prior Boston one... but I just don't know... I don't know who was affected by the flu, and to what degree that affected our play. If I knew we were fully healthy, and we just weren't good enough, or couldn't rise to the occasion, I'd probably say don't trade any futures right now. If there is a legit reason we had an excuse... ok, go ahead and get that RD.

If we fail this year again, it's time for change... and some big change... we can't keep doing the same things, with the same people, and expecting something different to happen.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Because you just don't know. Who thought that Boston would go out in the first round last year? This is hockey, wierd shit happens single spring.

We're locked into this core, you have to go all in every year, or you might as well just start over and trade them all.
I agree to an extent but I also think it's necessary to take a step back to navigate to let things breathe.

I do agree though this year there is such an....uncertainty anything can have.

Also Simmonds!

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I think Buchnevich is the add. With no 1st next year, it’s good to add a guy who can contribute both this season and next.

But I know people are going to overreact to a back half of back to back, 4 games in 6 nights while half the team seems to be battling a flu and say don’t spend at all.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Trade deadline thoughts....

I'm not sure what we should do here.... It's easy to have an extreme reaction to the game last night, and the prior Boston one... but I just don't know... I don't know who was affected by the flu, and to what degree that affected our play. If I knew we were fully healthy, and we just weren't good enough, or couldn't rise to the occasion, I'd probably say don't trade any futures right now. If there is a legit reason we had an excuse... ok, go ahead and get that RD.

If we fail this year again, it's time for change... and some big change... we can't keep doing the same things, with the same people, and expecting something different to happen.
No reason to freak out about this week. The media will, for sure, because it drives engagement. Bunkis and McKee were embarrassing to listen to after the game. It was my first time listening to them, and I’m not sure how they have a show, let alone an audience.

It’s clear the team hasn’t been themselves, with flu running through the room. If you can add (reasonably), I see no reason not to.

Edit: a guy like Buchnevich works, because he makes your team better this year and next.

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
I don't know why people are saying that we shouldn't freak out about the last two Boston games:
- The core 4 look disengaged as they always do in playoff hockey/emotional games.

Unfortunately, we can't move any of the core 4, so until they start living up to expectations (i'll take average in the playoffs at this point), we're not going to have success.

Reactions: rumman

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
No reason to freak out about this week. The media will, for sure, because it drives engagement. Bunkis and McKee were embarrassing to listen to after the game. It was my first time listening to them, and I’m not sure how they have a show, let alone an audience.

It’s clear the team hasn’t been themselves, with flu running through the room. If you can add (reasonably), I see no reason not to.

Edit: a guy like Buchnevich works, because he makes your team better this year and next.
Blues want 2 firsts. No thanks.

I don't know why people are saying that we shouldn't freak out about the last two Boston games:
- The core 4 look disengaged as they always do in playoff hockey/emotional games.

Unfortunately, we can't move any of the core 4, so until they start living up to expectations (i'll take average in the playoffs at this point), we're not going to have success.
They have the Bruins Flu.

• Haha
Reactions: rumman

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
I'd like to see assets spent judiciously today. Unless there is a bona-fide upgrade available, with some term attached, I'd rather not expend significant futures. I think this team has a lot of holes and to the extent they can be remediated (can't change the culture of the core unless you maybe can the guy behind the bench), then it's best dealt with in the off-season.

Still think a top four right handed defenseman has to be the priority, but I'd be fine with a winger or a center as long they're not merely here for a cup of coffee and gone again tomorrow. Not keen on forking over significant futures for a rental.

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
Had a buddy try and convince me last night that Crosby will be traded today and it will be the biggest trade since Gretzky.
I laughed. :laugh:
That came up on some random Twitter guys feed yesterday and of course the Leafs were one of the three teams he’d be willing to go to :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Buds17 and ACC1224

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
That came up on some random Twitter guys feed yesterday and of course the Leafs were one of the three teams he’d be willing to go to :laugh:
It incarcerated bob he's been here with Eklund and also Dallasdave (that was a made-rumor monger for a study to see the influences).

Reactions: bax

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Dubas being Dubas in Pitt. Gets wrecked on the 1st conditions, acquires three prospects who more then likely will not be significant NHL players, and Michael Bunting.

That's not a good trade.
At the very least should’ve got one top prospect. Got 3 mid prospects and the 1st round pick was conditional. If the Rangers were offering Kakko and Othmann I would’ve taken that package. But it’s Dubas so I’m not surprised

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Chips we are likely to move:
-Robertson
-Lily ( :cry: )
-2024 1st rounder for a player or a 2nd/3rd rounder
-2026 3rd

edit: should mention could move not guaranteed!

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
That price may come down, who knows.
Here are our picks for the next 3 drafts:

1709905487071.png

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I think the last hour when people are scrambling is the best time to see if we can snatch someone.
I'd use Robbie and Holmberg to get a better forward and I'd add Lily to get a top 4 RHD with term.

Dubas would probably be interested in Robbie and Holmberg.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
I think Buchnevich is the add. With no 1st next year, it’s good to add a guy who can contribute both this season and next.

But I know people are going to overreact to a back half of back to back, 4 games in 6 nights while half the team seems to be battling a flu and say don’t spend at all.
My thoughts exactly. My wish list is 1.Buchnevich 2. Toffoli 3. Zucker

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

I'd definitely take a look at Buchnevich but we can't do it enough it's 50% retention and they want a ton for that. Zucker would be a good alternative that would be much cheaper to acquire.

We all know how this team performs in high pressure situation so until they prove otherwise, they'll never get the benefit of the doubt or a break based on what you just mentioned. Seeing Matthews and Marner turn into ghosts as soon as there's pressure is the most annoying shit ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad