GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Can the Leafs pull Byfield from LA for Marner? Future 2C that the Leafs hopefully can lock up long term. 8x$7.5 mill AAV?

Marner + Liljegren for Kempe + Byfield?
I was thinking of something very similar with LA for Byfield, but I'm not sure they would give him up, especially with taking on Marner's salary in return.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
SJ has no retention slots left into next season. They decided to retain on Hertls contract which runs until 2030, which is insane and down right stupid of them. They are also retaining on Karlsson until 2027. And they will still be paying Brent Burns next season until July 1st 2025.
Damn. Well there goes that. Maybe Chicago lol

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Speaking of Columbus!

This article dropped earlier today

This is wild. He proposes Marner can return 4OA+Johnson then he proposes Laughton+Ferraro+2nd in the same article.

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Good on him, I'm glad and hope he stays injury free he's good when he's on

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
Modest off-season
Timmins could be moved if any of the UFA D need a little more $
cf.png

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Having a difficult time imagining a scenario of us winning a Marner trade

You know we won’t be going after futures. Which means we will be trading the best player in the deal and getting back some fluff.

My hope is for a relatively high profile prospect ready to contribute, a solid roster player, and a first.

But I fear they’re not going to get a whole lot out of him. Especially compared to what many will expect.

Seattle intrigues me. Utah could want to make a splash as well. I think they’d probably deal with a team out West. Maybe Chicago to give Bedard a star to play with? Though I think they probably stay the course on their rebuild. Likely looking at a team that lacks star power up front on the cusp of the playoffs.

I think a lot depends on Marner: If he's willing to waive and sign an extension with more than couple teams, then I think we'll get an excellent return. If we end up with only one or two prospective trade partners, then yeah, it is going to be less than ideal return.

I still feel like Utah is an ideal trade partner. Mitch gets the role his ego craves (face of the new franchise) but away from the spotlight (in market where hockey is irrelevant). Utah makes the splash that their owner clearly wants to make. The Coyotes left them with a lot of picks, prospects, and cap space to make the deal happen. Crouse, Durzi, and Josh Doan are intriguing roster players (doubt Cooley is available).

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
If they aren't going to use Kampf in a shut down role, it's a waste of money. They definitely should use him.... but, that's a different discussion.

I was on the Trade Kampf train this season because they weren't deploying him at all to his strengths.

Then out rolled Dewar-Kampf-Jarnkrok and we finally saw the shutdown line Sheldon was craving.

And then it was gone....

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
This is wild. He proposes Marner can return 4OA+Johnson then he proposes Laughton+Ferraro+2nd in the same article.
I think you might be underrating how good this return would be, even though the Columbus proposal is still better and Philly would never be a realistic Marner destination unless they were a contender right now, which they aren't.

Laughton still has 3Mx2 remaining on his deal, Ferraro has 3.25x2, and the Sharks pick is #1 in the 2nd round this year.

The only 2 destinations in that article which have a chance of being realistic are Columbus (assuming they hire Mark Hunter) and Seattle (one of the no income tax teams).

A dark horse could be Edmonton because they are the other team that is reportedly interested in Mark Hunter for their open GM role. If they landed Mark Hunter, I bet Marner would love to play out his contract year with McDrai on the Oilers, with someone he knows/trusts since London and drafted him into the league as their new GM.

Last edited:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
If we're making trades I either want high picks or prospects that are close to being team ready

We need a reset, especially salary wise and the best way to do that is with an injection of youth but our reset can't take to long so we waste Matthew's and Nylander's best years

This injection of youth needs to happen now, so if we step back for a year or two we can still make something of Matthews new deal

Reactions: Ricky Bobby

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
If we're making trades I either want high picks or prospects that are close to being team ready

We need a reset, especially salary wise and the best way to do that is with an injection of youth but our reset can't take to long so we waste Matthew's and Nylander's best years

This injection of youth needs to happen now, so if we step back for a year or two we can still make something of Matthews new deal
Exactly - you lose this deal acquiring a Scott Laughton.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Edmonton 10 of 21 on the PP. They scored despite Vancouver doing as best as they could to negate it.

That's what talent does.

Our guys can't even set up properly. Our north of 40 million core 4.

Reactions: hamzarocks

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I think you might be underrating how good this return would be, even though the Columbus proposal is still better and Philly would never be a realistic Marner destination unless they were a contender right now, which they aren't.

Laughton still has 3Mx2 remaining on his deal, Ferraro has 3.25x2, and the Sharks pick is #1 in the 2nd round this year.

The only 2 destinations in that article which have a chance of being realistic are Columbus (assuming they hire Mark Hunter) and Seattle (one of the no income tax teams).

A dark horse could be Edmonton because they are the other team that is reportedly interested in Mark Hunter for their open GM role. If they landed Mark Hunter, I bet Marner would love to play out his contract year with McDrai on the Oilers, with someone he knows/trusts since London and drafted him into the league as their new GM.
You can sign a 3rd line center and a fringe top 4 dman in free agency, that san jose trade is ass.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Can the Leafs pull Byfield from LA for Marner? Future 2C that the Leafs hopefully can lock up long term. 8x$7.5 mill AAV?

Marner + Liljegren for Kempe + Byfield?

Honestly, if the Leafs could find a way to make that concept of a deal work, it would be a home-run type return IMO.

Even if Byfield remains a winger, you instantly turn the forward group into a position of great depth. Matthews, Nylander, Tavares, Kempe, Byfield, Knies, Robertson, Domi (hopefully), with Minten & Cowan waiting in the wings.

Reactions: Zero1

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I think a lot depends on Marner: If he's willing to waive and sign an extension with more than couple teams, then I think we'll get an excellent return. If we end up with only one or two prospective trade partners, then yeah, it is going to be less than ideal return.

I still feel like Utah is an ideal trade partner. Mitch gets the role his ego craves (face of the new franchise) but away from the spotlight (in market where hockey is irrelevant). Utah makes the splash that their owner clearly wants to make. The Coyotes left them with a lot of picks, prospects, and cap space to make the deal happen. Crouse, Durzi, and Josh Doan are intriguing roster players (doubt Cooley is available).

Yeah I think if Marner is willing to go to Utah, they should probably be the #1 target. I'm not sure that he is (given just how polar extreme opposite it would be from Toronto), but the potential haul is certainly one to salivate at.

If you can get Lawson Crouse, a Jack McBain or Barrett Hayton, and a pick or two, that sets you up really nicely going forward filling two pretty big needs without doing anything stupid cap-wise.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Get him on the phone with ROR and I'm sure he'll accept out of TO
Saros + Glass or Parssinen for Marner
they need scoring , leafs need goaltending
I’m less sold on Saros as the main piece, but Nashville definitely has a lot of interesting secondary parts.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I doubt we really win a trade and get another star back because Marner has all the power and our only power is telling him we aren't signing him for what he wants when he becomes a FA. Just some deals I think could help us.

Glass + Fabbro+ pick(s) from Nashville.

20+34+54 and a roster player from Chicago like Dickinson or Murphy. Idk too many other players on their team and those are the only 2 I remember. A top line of Demidov-Bedard-Marner for the next decade excites them quite a bit I'm sure. Maybe we ask for 1 of those picks to be next year since we don't have any picks in the 1st 3 rounds.

14+42 + a player from San Jose. Like Chicago, the idea of a line of Eklund-Cellebrini-Marner for the next decade probably excites them, especially since they got plenty of prospects so they might want to speed up this rebuild a bit and start competing sooner rather than later.

This trade might be a little crazy because I'm gonna put Rielly in with Marner but what the hell.

Marner + Rielly for Dunn + Bjorkstrand + another roster player + Rehkopf. Maybe picks are thrown in but I guess it depends on how valuable people see Bjorkstrand because maybe I value him more than others do.

I see a lot mentioning Utah and that 6th pick would definitely be nice to get. Schmaltz ad Crouse would be nice too. They also have a lot of 2nd round picks this year and next.

Reactions: aingefan

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
If Mark Hunter does in fact take over in Columbus Jenner, Jiricek, and Brindley are players id be interested in acquiring in a Marner trade.

Reactions: aingefan

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Where's that coming from?

Why the Blue Jackets do it: First off, if Mark Hunter is named Columbus’ new GM in the next little while, get ready for this to become an actual rumour. Hunter, of course, was with the OHL’s London Knights when Marner landed there as a major junior player and guided the Leafs toward Marner when the former was part of Toronto’s front office in 2015 and the latter was available at — wait for it — fourth overall.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Fixing this blueline could be a longer process than just one off season. It sounds like they want to resign McCabe. We need a defensive right shot and a #1 D somehow. I think Pesce is a no brainer this off season and the only other decent option I see is Roy. I really hope we get one of these guys in FA and if we dont that would be pretty upsetting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad