Speculation: Trades and Proposals 2015-2016 V3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
Zero chance Tampa take back Dion in a trade for Drouin. They're already up against the cap, with an impending cap crunch on the horizon.

Leafs best chance of getting Drouin out of Tampa would be to offer one of Kadri/Gardiner/JVR and taking Carle back as a dump. I sincerely doubt Steve Yzerman is gonna trade Drouin within the division however. He's going out West somewhere in all likelihood.

Not sure what they offer but maybe colorado would be interested to get drouin and mackinnon back together

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
I was more referring to the 1st one. I don't even get the break down of the 2nd one compared to the 1st one. It's a lot less value, but I still wouldn't pay either for Drouin. That's the main point.

If some team somehow ends up paying that much, good for them. They probably have a great player on their hands. However, they'd be taking on a huge risk that we shouldn't take on right now. No need to put a good portion of our future (or potential future) assets into one high risk-high reward basket when there are so many other options out there.

Get Rychel. Get Vesey. Get both. Probably wouldn't even cost a fraction of the suggested cost for Drouin right now. If the price is around Holland+Percy for Drouin, get him too. Lou is obviously working the phones right now (he made a small but solid trade today), so who knows what he has up his sleeves.

2nd one I would do easily.

Drouin is not a high risk asset at all. A high risk asset takes into consideration how much you are getting in return in coordination how much you will be paying the player + how long he is locked in for. So moving forward if he doesn't pan out, how movable is he? Drouin's talent and potential exceeds anyone that the Leafs would be giving up.

As an example, Phil Kessel is a high risk asset. If Kessel doesn't return to form (pre 2015), he's locked in at a high price for a long time

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Would be funny to think that on the one hand Cooper wasn't confident enough in Drouin to play him yet Yzerman on the other hand would not want him dealt within the East. Which is it - is he great or is he bust! Too funny. Personally I don't think Yzerman cares - as long as he gets good value and helps the team now and in future, he's fine with pretty much anything.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
Not when you look at the fact were going to be getting a top 5 pick instead of a top 15.

You guys are blind to the fact that Drouin is literally a 2nd Marner. If you told me I could trade JVR and Kadri for a 2nd Marner, and we'd be more likely to get a top 3 pick it would have been done yesterday.

Nah, it's an overpayment. And Drouin is not another Marner.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
I dont know why they would trade Drouin with the possibility of Stammer leaving...I mean hey if it happens it happens.

Only thing I can see now is if they trade Johansen for Drouin or osmething.

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
No chance.

If you were a Flyers fan, would you trade your top prospect just to make a cap dump
That would be like trading Rielly last season just to get rid of Clarkson's contract

I of course get this and ur right but my thinking is either Philly trades away their stars giroux and voracek and start a rebuild or they have to try and win now? Stars are 27 years old
Toronto never had players that good on their roster for some time so no need to do ur clarkson deal with rielly

Gardiner or phaneuf would help and cap space to make some moves no?
I mean A Macdonald is making 5M for couple years in AHL vinny 4M+ never gonna play
it was a though provorov already looked good at draft lol
I'm talking maybe both vinny and A Mac + provorov for leafs player (s)

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Im more of a fan of sending Dion or Gardiner to Tampa Bay for Drouin and Matt Carle...Prob Dion since we cant help TB with Cap to resign Stammer lol
makes sense to me since in 2 years Carle is a UFA and we can maybe even get something for him then

I prefer to think about how many bad contracts from Philly (Vinny L, Gagner, A McDonald) would it take for them to include Ivan Provorov in a trade to us and what would we have to send back??
Ivan is gonna be quite good

Flyers will buyout Vinny and Mac this summer.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I dont know why they would trade Drouin with the possibility of Stammer leaving...I mean hey if it happens it happens.

That actually makes quite a bit of sense. My first thought when I heard he wanted out was that maybe Colorado would be interested, especially since it allows Yzerman to send Drouin out West, but a deal like that could work. Tampa would have to add, I would think, and Columbus might not like moving Johansen without getting a Center back, but the bare bones could be there. Johansen only has one more year left on his contract though, and Tampa may be looking for someone with a little more term to avoid an even bigger cap crunch.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
I of course get this and ur right but my thinking is either Philly trades away their stars giroux and voracek and start a rebuild or they have to try and win now? Stars are 27 years old
Toronto never had players that good on their roster for some time so no need to do ur clarkson deal with rielly

Gardiner or phaneuf would help and cap space to make some moves no?
I mean A Macdonald is making 5M for couple years in AHL vinny 4M+ never gonna play
it was a though provorov already looked good at draft lol
I'm talking maybe both vinny and A Mac + provorov for leafs player (s)

Flyers have some really good prospects at defense coming up Gostisbehere (who's already on the team), Sanheim, Provorov.

I don't think they need to take short cuts by trading for a Phaneuf. I think Giroux to Philly is what Sundin was to us, their gonna ride with him for as long as possible. At 27, I think they'll be okay in that even if they wait 2-3 years, he'll still be very good + he's locked in at an incredible contract (compared to what other players will be getting). They have Simmonds, Couturier and Konecny coming up. Voracek, I'm not sure since he's a FA

I think they'll just have to bit the bullet with Vinny and Macdonald or if they can buy them out. I'm just looking at it if I were a Flyers fan

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Nah, it's an overpayment. And Drouin is not another Marner.

Yes, he is.

Drouin's situation was literally the same as Marner's.

He was too good for juniors after his draft+1 season but ineligible for the AHL.

Their skills levels are similar and their pedigree as prospects is almost identical.

Getting Drouin for JVR would be a game changer for the Maple Leafs, especially if they make a run at Stamkos as well.

Steven Stamkos
William Nylander
Jonathan Drouin
Mitchell Marner
Patrik Laine

That would be the best core of talent this city has seen since the teams inception.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
Yes, he is.

He was too good for juniors after his draft+1 season but ineligible for the AHL.

Their skills levels are similar and their pedigree as prospects is almost identical.

Getting Drouin for JVR would be a game changer for the Maple Leafs, especially if they make a run at Stamkos as well.

Steven Stamkos
William Nylander
Jonathan Drouin
Mitchell Marner
Patrik Laine

That would be the best core of talent this city has seen since the teams inception.

Exactly. Maybe it's foreshadowing that if Marner doesn't light it up in his rookie season. By year 2 and he's still not Patrick Kane, Leafs fans will view him as these same fans are viewing Drouin

Drouin was easily as highly touted of a prospect as Marner currently is

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
So overall everyone that we wanted to gain trade value has been, Boyes and Mathias have been getting better, grabner and Marincin have gotten better each month. polak has been dependable. pap has regained form. so most of our rentals have gained value. not to mention the ones with term. bozak gards komarov (which would have to be substantial offer) . so this team should look quite different by the end of the tdd

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Would be so funny, if Kapenen, Spaling and Harrington for Drouin and Stamkos.

It will be like trading Phil for Drouin and Stamkos.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Would be so funny, if Kapenen, Spaling and Harrington for Drouin and Stamkos.

It will be like trading Phil for Drouin and Stamkos.

Doubt very much we are trading for Stamkos and don't think we will get Drouin, but would give up JVR.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Id imagine the package would likely have to be something like JVR+Kapanen or Harrington+Pitty's 1st

high price but well worth it in my eyes.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Yes, he is.

Steven Stamkos
William Nylander
Jonathan Drouin
Mitchell Marner
Patrik Laine

And who's on defence and in net?

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
And who's on defence and in net?

this question is often overlooked but is one of the most pressing.

An aging Phaneuf might fill in 2nd pairing duties,
Rielly is a no-brainer 1st pairing guy
Gardiner looks like a second pairing guy
Hunwick might round out the second pairing
Corrado, Marincin, Polak, Harrington all seem like bottom pairing, 7th defenseman options

There's also uncertainties with Zaitsev and prospects graduating the AHL.

As it stands, we have an incomplete first pairing, little depth in the middle of the lineup, and too much uncertainty with a Euro player and middle of the road prospects. A trade needs to be done to address this issue but another problem is how much money we're willing to spend on the 2nd pairing. Phaneuf and Gardiner make up more than $10M in cap and adding an inflated UFA contract doesn't help things either.

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph

Doubt that goes down. Drouin has a lot to prove before he warrants someone like Johansen in a trade -- regardless Johansen's struggles this season.

I don't even know what Tampa would want in a trade; their goaltending is solid and their D is good; upfront they're pretty good as well.

carko32

May 14, 2014
Slovenia
As I said in other thread, I would try to take Carle from them and send one of our bottom6 defenders, either Hunwick or Polak. Plus add some good prospect, like Kapanen or Percy, maybe someone else from 2013 or 2014 draft.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
As I said in other thread, I would try to take Carle from them and send one of our bottom6 defenders, either Hunwick or Polak. Plus add some good prospect, like Kapanen or Percy, maybe someone else from 2013 or 2014 draft.

I was thinking the same thing but Carle makes $5.5M till 2018 and consuming that much cap space to acquire a guy who may figure it out is a big risk.

I think we need to stay out of the Drouin sweepstakes as we have something good going for ourselves any way.

We just need Pittsburgh to barely squeek in and we'll have a very good farm and a plethora of young players close to contributing in the NHL.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON

I think that this would be the ideal approach to trying to get Drouin.

If the Leafs were to get him, they would have to take on some salary that they would try to shed to sign some of their players in the future.

I think that Polak & Kapanen for Drouin & Carle would be a good move.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I was thinking the same thing but Carle makes $5.5M till 2018 and consuming that much cap space to acquire a guy who may figure it out is a big risk.

I think we need to stay out of the Drouin sweepstakes as we have something good going for ourselves any way.

We just need Pittsburgh to barely squeek in and we'll have a very good farm and a plethora of young players close to contributing in the NHL.

Within the years that the Leafs would be paying Carle, do you think that the Leafs could contend?

I'm not sure that they could.

So is it worth taking on a terrible contract to get a former 3rd overall pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad