Speculation: Trades and Proposals 2015-2016 V3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
If he was a dman putting up those points I could see the excitement. But he's a 20 y o forward so there is nothing to special about this.

Late boomer. I don't think contract space will be a problem for the going forward.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Stat scouting is always flawed though. You need to look deeper than just his surface level stats. Analytics help in that but there are other contextual things that can help.

Has he gotten much playing time or the opportunity to prove that he had more in him? Was he used in an offensive role or just in a bottom six role? It's never quit often as easy as "he never scored before now, so he's probably not anything".

Kootenay has always had a decently strong top 6. Without knowing too much, I'd hazard a guess that Martin never really had much opportunity to crack it. Now that he's on a team that doesn't have a ton of offensive depth, he's taken off. What he's doing is impressive to say the least. He has 24 goals, the next four top goal scorers on his team has 25 combined...

I don't exactly have all this info available to me, I'm making a statement based on what I know. Obviously this isn't enough info and I don't expect management to look at that and say pass, all I said was putting up those kind of stats he's had doesn't excite me, so I don't get it.

Late boomer. I don't think contract space will be a problem for the going forward.

and you know this how? Remember how everyone is all like look at all these players we can trade, and all these picks we can get, 11 this year already, probably add 5 or 6 more, look at all the guys we drafted, etc, etc, decisions will have to be made on which of those guys we draft to offer a contract to, there's limited space, if we sign this guy there will be less space, when you have lots of picks, there's gonna be less contract space, you can't just assume you won't need the space

That's not to say don't sign him, but you can't haphazardly sign people without thinking about this stuff assuming there will be space.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
The players drafted 2016 won't even count against contract count until 2017 at the earliest.

Even Laine with the Marlies will be considered a slide contract and won't count.

yes but if they sign this guy to an ELC that starts in 2016 that will still be there in 2017, and possibly 2018 if it's a 3 year ELC.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

there’s no question the nashville predators are high on harvard sniper jimmy vesey, who they took 66th overall at the 2012 draft.

And — at least publicly — vesey says he’s high on the predators too.

“i still have a great relationship with the team,†vesey explained, per the tennessean. “development coach scott nichol and the nashville scouts have been at my games and getting my game tapes and sending me feedback.

“i still have a great relationship with them.â€

vesey, who led the ncaa with 32 goals last year, was asked about his allegiance to nashville largely because his father, jim sr., works as an amateur scout for the maple leafs.

The leafs also drafted the youngest vesey — nolan, currently in his sophomore campaign at the university of maine — in the sixth round of the ’14 draft.

the preds, meanwhile, have steadfastly maintained there’s a nhl spot ready for vesey whenever he’s done at harvard and ready to sign an entry-level contract.

looking ahead, one date looms large for nashville and vesey: Aug. 15, 2016.

If he doesn’t sign a contract by then, vesey becomes an unrestricted free agent and can choose whatever team he wants.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
The only word that popped up is Harvard.
Harvard grad playing for the Leafs, when have I heard that before.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Add in some scoring and this team will be in the playoffs under Babcock next year.

JVR Stamkos Nylander
Vesey Kadri Komarov
Holland Marner Lupul
Winnik Froese Leivo

Hunwick Rielly
Gardiner Phaneuf
Harrington Corrado
Marincin

Reimer/Bernier
Sparks

Last edited:

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Rnh is now starting to trail draistel
Hope the leafs are kicking tires there

Always liked rnh and think he'd be a great fit for babs

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
surprised the Leafs haven't traded anyone yet, but as long as vets with term are gone for picks/prospects by the draft I'll be happy. Plenty of UFA's available to fill out the team again next season until the kids are ready. Stay the course, and don't look for quick fixes ie: Stamkos unless he can be signed as a UFA and with a hometown discount. (not going to happen)

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
surprised the Leafs haven't traded anyone yet, but as long as vets with term are gone for picks/prospects by the draft I'll be happy. Plenty of UFA's available to fill out the team again next season until the kids are ready. Stay the course, and don't look for quick fixes ie: Stamkos unless he can be signed as a UFA and with a hometown discount. (not going to happen)

We should trade someone soon. Preferably a few players. Polak should be one, and I wouldn't mind seeing at least a forward or two gone soon as well, because Panik and Arcobello need to be back in the NHL to build up their value before the TDL. It's unlikely that we get more than a 4th out of them unless they have an exceptional couple of months or we take some salary dump off the other team's hands (ala Eric Brewer), but it's better than nothing considering they unlikely have a future here.

I just hope something happens soon, and that it's good. We have too many guys that we need to move out for it to wait for the weeks leading up to the TDL. We need to start moving some of the peak value guys (i.e. Polak, Reimer maybe, Parenteau) now.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009

we dont have defenseman to trade for him. not sure phaneuf gets it done

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
we dont have defenseman to trade for him. not sure phaneuf gets it done

I wouldn't trade for him unless it's dirt cheap. If he doesn't make it to FA, then we shouldn't get him. It's already enough that we would probably have to pay 11 million a year for him to be here.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
I wouldn't trade for him unless it's dirt cheap. If he doesn't make it to FA, then we shouldn't get him. It's already enough that we would probably have to pay 11 million a year for him to be here.

i thought we were discussing nuge. not stamkos.

the truth is the leafs arent in a position to trade for anyone. other then moving out a few expiring vets like boyes, pap, mathias, and polak there isnt really much trading to do.

we are pretty early in the rebuild so we dont have anything expendable. if we can sign stamkos as a free agent thats a different situation.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
i thought we were discussing nuge. not stamkos.

the truth is the leafs arent in a position to trade for anyone. other then moving out a few expiring vets like boyes, pap, mathias, and polak there isnt really much trading to do.

we are pretty early in the rebuild so we dont have anything expendable. if we can sign stamkos as a free agent thats a different situation.

If we are talking RNH, then the only thing we can offer them are some pretty good prospects, Gardiner, Kadri or Phaneuf. If we feel like that's a good thing to try, go ahead. But it's not like we are starving with Nylander and maybe Marner being able to be potential franchise centers in the near future.

It depends on the price really. Nothing we should overpay for.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
And for the UFA's, just trade someone with peak value so that we can get some of the veterans on the outside back in the lineup. We may even get an over payment on one or two of our guys right now.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
If we are talking RNH, then the only thing we can offer them are some pretty good prospects, Gardiner, Kadri or Phaneuf. If we feel like that's a good thing to try, go ahead. But it's not like we are starving with Nylander and maybe Marner being able to be potential franchise centers in the near future.

It depends on the price really. Nothing we should overpay for.
I'd be all over a deal based on Dion for RNH or Draisaitl, but don't think it would happen.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
Rnh is now starting to trail draistel
Hope the leafs are kicking tires there

Always liked rnh and think he'd be a great fit for babs

Agreed. I've always felt that the two young centres who would succeed most under Babcock would be RNH and Tavares.

carko32

May 14, 2014
Slovenia
Why? He could be a good 3C for next season:

JVR - Stamkos - A.Johnson
Marner - Kadri - Nylander
Komarov - Bozak - Kapanen
Winnik - Holland - Matthias

Johnson is LW.
Nylander will play C.
Holland was moved to wing and he is playing really well there.
Froese is doing extremely good as #4C with lots of defensive starts, and he is very cheap, so he would be our 4th line C.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Why? He could be a good 3C for next season:

JVR - Stamkos - A.Johnson
Marner - Kadri - Nylander
Komarov - Bozak - Kapanen
Winnik - Holland - Matthias

That is a pretty ambitious lineup. Some of those guys won't even be in the NHL next year, never mind in the top 9. I also would not count on Stamkos.

However, we should definitely trade Bozak for that exact reason: we don't need a 30 year old, 4.25 million, good 3C worth a good amount on the trade market. UFA's or a negative value cap dump can be a 3C for us, or maybe we give someone within the organization a chance at the spot.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Johnson is LW.
Nylander will play C.
Holland was moved to wing and he is playing really well there.
Froese is doing extremely good as #4C with lots of defensive starts, and he is very cheap, so he would be our 4th line C.

So really, the lineup will probably look more something like this:

JVR-Kadri-Marner
Holland-Nylander-Komarov
Winnik-UFA-Leivo
UFA-Froese-Bailey

Of course, some other guys are in the mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad