Trades and Free Agency - 2022/2023 Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

horner

May 22, 2007
Any team interested in Chych easily beats that.

Gotta give to get and if they are in love with Knies as most of the Leafs fan base and are willing to overpay, I am listening.

I was commenting on the previous person.
1st(23)+ 1st(24) + Knies + Sandin + Voit
For
Chychrun ( 2mil retained )+ Crouse

Trade
Kerfoot

If we are giving up Knies I want a big forward in return
If not I wouldn't make the trade

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
If you’re going for a home run and acquiring Chychrun and Crouse…

To Toronto: Jakob Chychrun + Lawson Crouse

To Arizona: Rasmus Sandin + Matthew Knies + Alex Kerfoot + Nicholas Abruzzese + 2024 1st Rounder

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Wow.. I mean, that's a lot to give up. I'd personally say too much... Take out the Knies or 24' 1st... IMO.

Its what leafs gonna need to give to have both...

Crouse will cost 2 1st, similar price of hagel and lehkonen

Chychrun vs sandin, knies and voit...

Probably the closest offer for chychrun/crouse i see from a good time...

You will got get crouse and/or chychrun by giving up 2nd puck who almost a 3rd pick, with B prospect leafs doesn't to loose with hirvonen or abrusseze or cap dump

Reactions: Leaffan1991

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Its what leafs gonna need to give to have both...

Crouse will cost 2 1st, similar price of hagel and lehkonen

Chychrun vs sandin, knies and voit...

Probably the closest offer for chychrun/crouse i see from a good time...

You will got get crouse and/or chychrun by giving up 2nd puck who almost a 3rd pick, with B prospect leafs doesn't to loose with hirvonen or abrusseze or cap dump

If the ask on Crouse is 2 1st... forget about it. He's not worth that. Go for Comtois, keep Knies, and build your own size.... Do the 1st, Sandin, B prospect deal, and move on.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If the ask on Crouse is 2 1st... forget about it. He's not worth that. Go for Comtois, keep Knies, and build your own size.... Do the 1st, Sandin, B prospect deal, and move on.

I actually think a Comtois / Robertson deal could make sense.

Anaheim gambles on the talent / goal scoring / being able to remain healthy.

Toronto gambles on Comtois finding himself and being a reliable 3rd line 2-way type that doesn't have stone hands, likely to be more durable than Robertson.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
It’s honestly a no brainer. If you can get Chychrun for our 1st, Sandin and a B+ prospect, you do it.
I disagree. Keep Sandin & Knies. Your going to need these cheaper young players if the plan is to keep Matthews.

If they can get the deal done with 1sts, Voit, Abruzzese do it, if not don't pay the price. He's not a perfect fit so don't overpay.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I always enjoy the contrast between the supposed haul of everything including the kitchen sink that posters deem will be necessary to get a player vs what it actually ends up costing.

I also enjoy that when the Leafs are involved, the asking price always appear grossly steeper than it does for other teams.

Chychrun has been available forever, and no one has paid what the Coyotes are supposed to be asking. At what point as it goes unmet, with TDL closing in, do they become more motivated to drop their price or keep an unhappy player? Ultimately, sometimes the best deal is the one you don't make.

I like Chych and Crouse, but I'm not in love with them and I won't gut our prospects and picks for them. It's an automatic that Sandin goes in a deal for him, but I keep seeing Niemala being included as well, which is short-sighted.

Holl is a UFA. If he asks for $4-5 million, are we really paying him that? I thought we wanted to get better. Gio should be declining as soon as next year, which would see Brodie play LHD. That would leave our RHD as what? Liljegren, Timmins and...........? Niemala has real potential to provide a solid RHD on an ELC within the next 1-2 years.

As it stands, we are swapping out a young LHD on an ELC in Sandin to bring in a more highly paid (but very reasonable cost for what you get and with term as well) in Chych. Move Niemala and our RHD pipeline goes down significantly, and we are still trying to see what we have in Timmins who has yet to play 100 NHL games.

I'm down to improve our Team, but I am wary (and weary) of gutting our prospects and handcuffing our team in the immediate future, when we still have significant UFA's to sign in the next 2 years. Giving Justin Holl $4-5m as a UFA just doesn't do it for me.....

I want to see what we have in Knies and Niemala, and it would kind of be nice to have a pick in the 1st round of a deep draft for the first since dinosaurs roamed the Earth......

Interested to see what ends up transpiring but I hope we are measured with what we are prepared to trade. It would be crazy to hamstring our development for years in a year when we aren't even favorites, and we have significant players to re-sign. I don't think we are an All-In team, and we will need solid prospects who can potentially play for us next season to help us keep the band together and improving.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
I think it makes decent sense for TOR to be the team to add Nyquist, and then keep him on LTIR until Playoffs, but ideally that cost is about a 4th.

Doing this increases their upper limit, allowing them to add without subtracting from the roster or having to be as creative with brokers and retention. The broker cost has historically been a 4th/5th for just over $1M as is. Not to mention, Nyquist is actually a good add to the lineup once healthy.

Reactions: WTFMAN99

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I think it makes decent sense for TOR to be the team to add Nyquist, and then keep him on LTIR until Playoffs, but ideally that cost is about a 4th.

Doing this increases their upper limit, allowing them to add without subtracting from the roster or having to be as creative with brokers and retention. The broker cost has historically been a 4th/5th for just over $1M as is. Not to mention, Nyquist is actually a good add to the lineup once healthy.
I could be wrong but I thought you have to fit Nyqvist into your cap structure for a day before you can put him on LTIR and stash him.

Reactions: Pinto and kb

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
It will be what arizona will ask, you need to understand no body will give their best player at low price...

A power foward who can play up and down every line up in the league with a low salary... the cost will be pretty high

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
It's so obvious he's going to the NYR it's anti-climatic..... and I will be relieved when it happens so I don't have to keep reading trade proposals that throw everything at him like he was 25 years old again and on a contract with term.

Given the odds, might be worth putting a few $$$ on the Rangers to win it all.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeafSteel

horner

May 22, 2007
Knies is my only untouchable

Crouse
Chychrun

1st 23
2nd 24
Kerfoot ($) - easy for Arizona to manage the small cap hit and they can flip him.
Sandin
Voit/Hirvonen

If this cannot get it done, I don't want it to get done.
I agree
If you’re going for a home run and acquiring Chychrun and Crouse…

To Toronto: Jakob Chychrun + Lawson Crouse

To Arizona: Rasmus Sandin + Matthew Knies + Alex Kerfoot + Nicholas Abruzzese + 2024 1st Rounder
If they want knies but won't include Crouse.

NO DEAL
Jeannot and Comtois on the 4th line

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada

That's not how it works.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
It will be what arizona will ask, you need to understand no body will give their best player at low price...

A power foward who can play up and down every line up in the league with a low salary... the cost will be pretty high

Did you just call Crouse their best player? Really?

The cost isn’t two first round picks for Crouse. That’s absolutely ridiculous.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

I tend to agree but Chicago got 2 firsts + for Hagel and 2 4ths so anything is possible if a GM covets a player.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

Yes hes one of their best players

If hagel cost 2 1st...

Crouse who having a pretty similar production, who's more physical and a better defensive player...

You can add lehkonen who bring a 1st and barron who having the same value of a late 1st... for a guy with a worst production than crouse, less physical but as good defensivly...

Yes Crouse would bring 2 late 1st pick or something like a 1st and minten

Its just funny to hear fan wanting you to find their coleman, hagel, goodrow, lehkonen but when its the time to pay the price recquire to make those move.... ah no way its really too much!!! We dont want to trade this or this player... bla bla bla...

Its your not ready to pay the price, you will get a max domi, a jvr or whatever

Last edited:

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Yes hes one of their best players

If hagel cost 2 1st...

Crouse who having a pretty similar production, who's more physical and a better defensive player...

You can add lehkonen who bring a 1st and barron who having the same value of a late 1st... for a guy with a worst production than crouse, less physical but as good defensivly...

Yes Crouse would bring 2 late 1st pick or something like a 1st and minten

Its just funny to hear fan wanting you to find their coleman, hagel, goodrow, lehkonen but when its the time to pay the price recquire to make those move.... ah no way its really too much!!! We dont want to trade this or this player... bla bla bla...

Its your not ready to pay the price, you will get a max domi, a jvr or whatever
Hagel has 41 pts in 48 games, and his contract is $1.5 million

Crouse has 28 points in 45 games, and his cap hit is nearly 3 times higher at $4.3 million for longer.

They are in no way in the same bracket as players, and that's before adding in the tripling of the cap hit.

That's a swing and a miss IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad