Trade Weber?

Status
Not open for further replies.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Why not ?

i would free some serious cap space to invest it into offense. More goals !!

D's are in plenty of supply, Forwards are scarce ... (i mean forwards that score !)

Probably his freed cap should be shared 1/3 in defense and 2/3 in offense.

Dadof5boys

May 25, 2003
Murfreesbo Tennessee
Visit site
I say yes, but for a gigantic haul. The poll isn't working for me.

I don't know of any specific deal off the top of my head, but if I was Poile, i'd listen to offers.

Here's my reasons:

1. I don't buy the Captain as a Predator for life. I don't buy the "he wanted to be here or Philly, he just wanted his money" line that we've sold ourselves. I think it's only a matter of time before he wants out. Especially if we're not contending. Why wait until you have to trade the guy and you lose some of your leverage?

2. This is the only way I see us being able to add the high end offensive talent to be a cup contender. This team, as presently constructed (and taking into account the farm), is a midding 7th-8th seed type team, at very best. We're not going to win a cup with this roster, and we're never going to be bad enough to land the difference makers needed to win one. There's no talent on the farm we can sell off for a Drouin/MacK type offensive dynamo.

3. I'm banking heavily on Seth Jones. In a year or two, I think he'll be ready to be the #1 D-man here. A top 4 of Jones, Josi, MDZ (hopefully he reaches his potential), and a vet UFA should be pretty darn good. And the offensive pieces we get should more than make up for this - we should no longer have to win games 2-1.

This is my fear as well; to me, both he and Suter both weren't very happy about some of the moves Poile failed to make to make this team better. I remember Arnott practically begging for help during an interview during that same span. Do I want to trade Weber? No way; however, if this team has a couple of more seasons like this one at last year, and we continue to have free agencies like the last oh I don't know 15 years give or take a year or two, I could see Weber going public asking for a trade. That probably would severly affect his trade value. I wouldn't just trade him for a some of the proposals made on the trade board, but I would would like a legitimate 1st liner with at least a high 1st rounder.

Jarnberg

Jul 10, 2002
Nashville
Visit site
If the team has a few more years like the past two, there is no doubt Weber will ask for a move. He's too competitive to be on a bottom feeder. It happens all the time in the league. And per the Erat trade last season, Poile is quoted as saying he'll trade players who do not wish to play here.

Luckily Weber was not give a NTC which would limit his trade value should the situation develop.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
Maybe, it'd have to be a major offer though.

If Colorado offered Johnson + Duchene/Landeskog/Mackinnon

Or Edmonton offered

One of Hall/Rnh, one of Eberle/Yakupov and a defenseman.

You wouldn't get Hall or RNH. I doubt you'd get the best player off any team (unless that team was just bad everywhere), or the only promising center on a team that has no center depth.

I wouldn't trade Weber unless he asked to be moved, and I can't help but wonder if that's happened --- maybe you guys can shed some light on this for me. I wonder because some broadcasters like Friedman on HNIC (by no means a hack) has talked about the Preds trading Weber. That offer sheet makes me wonder too, not because he signed it, but because it was specifically structured in a way to make it more difficult for the Preds to match. Why do that if it's just a case of wanting more money?

Jarnberg

Jul 10, 2002
Nashville
Visit site
That offer sheet makes me wonder too, not because he signed it, but because it was specifically structured in a way to make it more difficult for the Preds to match. Why do that if it's just a case of wanting more money?

Regardless of whether Weber wanted out or not, Holmgren was going to make it as hard as possible for Nashville to match.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
You guys have to know if Weber ASKS to be traded he's not just going to be OK with going to any team. Him and his agent will make known the hockey world which teams he wants to play for. Yes, we could still trade him to Florida in theory, but if Florida knows he doesn't want to play there, they aren't going to give up massive assets to acquire Weber.

Poile has GOT to get a pulse on Weber's intentions. If he feels Weber isn't going to be content here, we've got to move him before he asks for a trade, before our options are limited.

Poile has failed in getting a pulse of our star players thus far. If he screws up Weber (again) I will personally go kick Poile in the nuts.

IF Weber is lukewarm on Nashville, we should trade him. Weber for McKinnon (+).

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
You guys have to know if Weber ASKS to be traded he's not just going to be OK with going to any team. Him and his agent will make known the hockey world which teams he wants to play for. Yes, we could still trade him to Florida in theory, but if Florida knows he doesn't want to play there, they aren't going to give up massive assets to acquire Weber.

Poile has GOT to get a pulse on Weber's intentions. If he feels Weber isn't going to be content here, we've got to move him before he asks for a trade, before our options are limited.

Poile has failed in getting a pulse of our star players thus far. If he screws up Weber (again) I will personally go kick Poile in the nuts.

IF Weber is lukewarm on Nashville, we should trade him. Weber for McKinnon (+).

I've made this argument with many people before. A star player has tremendous leverage, NTC or not. A perfect example would be Jeff Carter going to Columbus. I think most teams would avoid such a mess by checking with the player before completing the trade, and Carter did quickly did his ticket out of Columbus afterwards. If Weber were to be traded, I think the Flyers would be the best trading partner. Obviously Weber wouldn't mind going there, and Philly has the kind of players that Trotz and Poile like, such as Schenn, Courtier, Simmonds, etc.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
What do you guys think about

Eberle, Petry, Nurse, 2014 first (top 5 pick) for Weber and Wilson?

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
I've made this argument with many people before. A star player has tremendous leverage, NTC or not. A perfect example would be Jeff Carter going to Columbus. I think most teams would avoid such a mess by checking with the player before completing the trade, and Carter did quickly did his ticket out of Columbus afterwards. If Weber were to be traded, I think the Flyers would be the best trading partner. Obviously Weber wouldn't mind going there, and Philly has the kind of players that Trotz and Poile like, such as Schenn, Courtier, Simmonds, etc.
I could care less where Weber wants to go... that's why if he is lukewarm on Nashville we need to trade him before he asks for a trade and tells the world what teams he wants to play for.

While guys like Schenn and Coutiere are good, I'd want more offensive upside.

I'm not a big fan of Eberle. He'd certainly be better than anything we have, but you don't build your offense around him. But the other EDM pieces are pretty good. I don't see them giving up their top pick easily. It's going to be #1 or #2, and I'm sure they hoping to get Ekbad.

Weber for McKinnon+. Colorado is ready to contend now and they get the best Dman in the league for 10 years. We get a guy to build our offense around-- the kind of offensive talent we've never had.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
I could care less where Weber wants to go... that's why if he is lukewarm on Nashville we need to trade him before he asks for a trade and tells the world what teams he wants to play for.

While guys like Schenn and Coutiere are good, I'd want more offensive upside.

I'm not a big fan of Eberle. He'd certainly be better than anything we have, but you don't build your offense around him. But the other EDM pieces are pretty good. I don't see them giving up their top pick easily. It's going to be #1 or #2, and I'm sure they hoping to get Ekbad.

Weber for McKinnon+. Colorado is ready to contend now and they get the best Dman in the league for 10 years. We get a guy to build our offense around-- the kind of offensive talent we've never had.

You mentioned the Oilers, and I know most Oiler fans would be all over that. So I'll you what I tell them, that even if an agreement could be reached between the 2 teams, if Weber doesn't want to come to EDM, then that deal should and mostly likely would die right there. Players like him have that kind of power.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
You wouldn't get Hall or RNH. I doubt you'd get the best player off any team (unless that team was just bad everywhere), or the only promising center on a team that has no center depth.

I wouldn't trade Weber unless he asked to be moved, and I can't help but wonder if that's happened --- maybe you guys can shed some light on this for me. I wonder because some broadcasters like Friedman on HNIC (by no means a hack) has talked about the Preds trading Weber. That offer sheet makes me wonder too, not because he signed it, but because it was specifically structured in a way to make it more difficult for the Preds to match. Why do that if it's just a case of wanting more money?

Then I wouldn't be okay with trading him. If we're trading Weber we'd need assets we can't get by trading our other assets.

We can get an Eberle type if we traded our 1st and Josi, we can get another Petry, we shouldn't trade Weber for assets we can get cheaper.

We shouldn't trade Weber just because the first offer sails our way, if other teams want him it'll have to hurt.

Jarnberg

Jul 10, 2002
Nashville
Visit site
IF Weber is traded, the team has to get back a #1 dynamic center. It's one of the hardest pieces for us to get. Yes I know those guys do not grow on trees, but neither do guys like Weber. Let's not sell him short, Weber is a superstar.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
IF Weber is traded, the team has to get back a #1 dynamic center. It's one of the hardest pieces for us to get. Yes I know those guys do not grow on trees, but neither do guys like Weber. Let's not sell him short, Weber is a superstar.
Agreed. You build from the back out, and up the middle. A top young winger would be nice, but a legit #1 center is a must. I venture to say there may only be 2-3 wingers in the league that I would really consider exchanging Weber for (assuming the rest of the package isn't ridiculous). Unfortunately, teams aren't likely to move a young #1 center any more than teams usually move Norris-caliber defensemen. We could shoot for a package including a very high draft pick, but that's placing a lot of hope that the kid pans out, and sets us back pretty badly in the short term.

Last edited:

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
What do you guys think about

Eberle, Petry, Nurse, 2014 first (top 5 pick) for Weber and Wilson?

i'm iffy on this.

i think i'd have to have eberle, perron, petry, nurse and the 1st and i'll throw weber and wilson.

we still don't get our #1C in that deal though.

if we go the Philly route we'd have to get both Schenn's, Couts or Simmonds, Raffl and a 1st.

I' m not just giving away an all-world d-man that we've already thrown 50 some mill to.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
i'm iffy on this.

i think i'd have to have eberle, perron, petry, nurse and the 1st and i'll throw weber and wilson.

we still don't get our #1C in that deal though.

if we go the Philly route we'd have to get both Schenn's, Couts or Simmonds, Raffl and a 1st.

I' m not just giving away an all-world d-man that we've already thrown 50 some mill to.

Been down that road with Philly. Not a chance they're giving up that much, and there's still no #1C in that package.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
The proposal from the Oil included there first which would yield Reinhart or Bennett theres the center your looking for. Eberle is a pretty decent top 6 guy Nurse a couple steps behind Jones but still top 4 guy in a couple years Petry pushes MDZ out of top 4 all this makes Ellis and Ekholm tradable as well or keep Ellis and move MDZ. They could be packaged with our 1st rounder for a pretty good top 6 guy as well. And finally move of salary from our redundant 3rd and 4th liners to make a bid for Moulson or Vanek. So if the Oil want Weber and Wilson this would be a great option to restock this team with forwards a slight drop on the blueline for a year but overall a much better looking team on paper.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
The proposal from the Oil included there first which would yield Reinhart or Bennett theres the center your looking for. Eberle is a pretty decent top 6 guy Nurse a couple steps behind Jones but still top 4 guy in a couple years Petry pushes MDZ out of top 4 all this makes Ellis and Ekholm tradable as well or keep Ellis and move MDZ. They could be packaged with our 1st rounder for a pretty good top 6 guy as well. And finally move of salary from our redundant 3rd and 4th liners to make a bid for Moulson or Vanek. So if the Oil want Weber and Wilson this would be a great option to restock this team with forwards a slight drop on the blueline for a year but overall a much better looking team on paper.
It's appealing primarily because of the 1st. But I don't see Edmonton giving that up when they have a very good chance at Ekbad, who's 10 yrs younger than Weber almost a sure-fire stud. But I suppose it's possible if they really think Weber can turn their fortunes around NOW.

I'd still rather go for a sure-fire offensive stud like McKinnon to build around. Maybe we'd get a bit more if we throw in Legwand to replace McKinnon on their 3rd line.

This is of course assuming that Weber may want out. If he's die hard blue and gold, keep him. If he's not, the time is now.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
The only way you do the trade with Edmonton as mentioned is if it's at the draft and we're assured Ekbad or McDavid in next years draft. Other than that, there's no point to it. The other option like some have mentioned is MacKinnon+. I'd prefer Duchesne to be honest but either would do. I don't know that I'd want to play Weber though year in and year out for the next 10 years but if had a top flight center to go along with the young blue line we've got, I could handle it and I think it sets both teams up very well for the future.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
There is no way you trade our best player. Even if you did there is no way he would be moved to the west let alone Edmonton. If Weber askeds for a trade and picks teams we will laugh and say "to bad you do not have a NTC in your contract. We can move you anywhere we want to!"

Weber isn't gong anywhere and when he signed that contract he knew damn well that the Predators would more than likely match it. He knew he would either be playing in Philly for life or Nashville and he was fine with that. If he wanted out of Nashville that badly he could have found a team that would offer him a 1 year deal and then become a UFA forcing Nashville to trade him. He didnt though so enough about Weber not wanting to be here.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
The only way you do the trade with Edmonton as mentioned is if it's at the draft and we're assured Ekbad or McDavid in next years draft. Other than that, there's no point to it. The other option like some have mentioned is MacKinnon+. I'd prefer Duchesne to be honest but either would do. I don't know that I'd want to play Weber though year in and year out for the next 10 years but if had a top flight center to go along with the young blue line we've got, I could handle it and I think it sets both teams up very well for the future.

I get that Colorado has talent up front to spare, but I have no idea why we would even consider handing them the one thing they are lacking on a platter. We make a trade with the Avs and our division rivals not only still have a stronger offense, but also a Norris-caliber defenseman to helm their D for the next ten years? No thanks. As bad as things look now with the way Chicago and St. Louis are constructed, we'd be virtually assured of being a non-playoff team for the next 5 years if we arm the Avs like that.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I get that Colorado has talent up front to spare, but I have no idea why we would even consider handing them the one thing they are lacking on a platter. We make a trade with the Avs and our division rivals not only still have a stronger offense, but also a Norris-caliber defenseman to helm their D for the next ten years? No thanks. As bad as things look now with the way Chicago and St. Louis are constructed, we'd be virtually assured of being a non-playoff team for the next 5 years if we arm the Avs like that.

AT this point the team is a non playoff team, And will continue to be for a number of years if nothing is done. DO I like the idea of getting rid of Weber? No I do think that hes the one player that will bring the return to turn this team around. There is no coach in the league that could produce a playoff team with this roster. Any way you look at it is going to be a couple years minimum until the ship is turned around. We have just realized the bottom. The burning question is what path is taken to re-build. How quickly owenership wants to become competitive. AT the current pace the team will ek out a .500 season. And many suggest that only minor tweeking could put them back to last seed category and perhaps that's true. It will not however take the team to the next level and the same weakness will be there. Relying on goaltending and great blueline to scrape out those 2-1 wins.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
AT this point the team is a non playoff team, And will continue to be for a number of years if nothing is done. DO I like the idea of getting rid of Weber? No I do think that hes the one player that will bring the return to turn this team around. There is no coach in the league that could produce a playoff team with this roster. Any way you look at it is going to be a couple years minimum until the ship is turned around. We have just realized the bottom. The burning question is what path is taken to re-build. How quickly owenership wants to become competitive. AT the current pace the team will ek out a .500 season. And many suggest that only minor tweeking could put them back to last seed category and perhaps that's true. It will not however take the team to the next level and the same weakness will be there. Relying on goaltending and great blueline to scrape out those 2-1 wins.
Far as I can see, the only thing we have as an advantage going forward is the strength of our D. Even trading out of that strength, we are not going to build a team that is offensively equal to Chicago, St. Louis, or Colorado, and we would lose any parity or advantage we would have on the back end. I don't think there's any easy way to reassert our way back into competitiveness at this point. We either hope to draft well or get lucky in the free agent market and rely on what will be a very potent D in a couple of years, or we tear the whole thing down and accept being an also-ran for 3-5 years. I'm not terribly optimistic either way, the division is shaping up to be just too strong at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad