Trade Value of: Luke Glendening.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Yeah, they should be packing Glendening's bags before the phone call is ended if someone throws a 2nd at us. Same with Helm, really.

Considering the contracts, Glennie is worth far more than Helm.
With Helm, only way someone takes him is if you retain.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Considering the contracts, Glennie is worth far more than Helm.
With Helm, only way someone takes him is if you retain.

Glendening is cheaper but Helm's the better player. Helm might be a bit overpaid and a bigger health risk, but if you want a better player you're going to have to pay more. Point is, though, that I don't expect either to get a 2nd from anyone, and if it's offered, you take it as quickly as possible. These guys are here until their contracts run out, and probably after.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
I think Glendening could easily fetch a 2nd rounder from a contender (Remember, you're probably picking 50-62 in such a scenario).
I'm not sure if I trade him for 3rd rounder. Definitely wouldn't do it for a fourth rounder.
But for a second, I'm all about it.
I've never been a huge LG fan - mostly because our coaches have overplayed him.
But i'd be pretty happy with him as a 4C for the next 4-5 years, assuming his body holds up.
On the other hand, 4C looks like a good spot for Dom Turgeon.
Might have to send a pick the other way
Glendening and a 4th or 5th
For a 2nd
I’d do it for a 4th. 3rd does sound about right though.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Again, why?

Why is this even a topic?

Not sure what the issue is, if you don’t like the topic just don’t click on the thread.

Clearly 2 pages of people are interested in discussing this.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Glendening is cheaper but Helm's the better player. Helm might be a bit overpaid and a bigger health risk, but if you want a better player you're going to have to pay more. Point is, though, that I don't expect either to get a 2nd from anyone, and if it's offered, you take it as quickly as possible. These guys are here until their contracts run out, and probably after.

I'm not sure Helm is the better player.
He's faster. Sure.
Here are their 5-on-5 stats over the last four seasons.
Helm - 2977 minutes 25-34-59
Glendening - 2903 minutes 20-31-51

Considering Helm spent quite a bit of time in 2 of those seasons with Datsyuk...
Helm has a huge lead in CF%, but again, Datsyuk vs 4th liner who takes shutdown shifts in the defensive zone.

In terms of goals for vs goals against...
Helm has been on the ice for 100 goals and allow 117 goals for a GF% of 46.1.
Glenny has been on the ice for 81 goals and allowed 95. GF of 46.0 percent.

For fun, here are Abdelkader's numbers
3335 minutes 108 goals for 130 goals against, 45.38 GF%

Abby's offense is better
32-39-71

But in terms of rates, it's a little closer
Goals/60
Helm .5
Abby .58
Glendening .41
Points/60
Helm 1.19
Abdelakder 1.28
Glendening 1.05

So considering faceoffs and salary and term - I take Glendening over Helm and Abdelkader any day of the week.
I might take him if they made the same amount of money for the same amount of years, based on faceoffs.
But considering money/years?
Glendening any day.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

-a whole bunch of numbers favoring Helm-

So considering faceoffs and salary and term - I take Glendening over Helm and Abdelkader any day of the week.
I might take him if they made the same amount of money for the same amount of years, based on faceoffs.
Glendening any day.

Take Glendening because he's cheaper. As I have said in two other posts now, he's still not getting a second unless someone does something stupid that we would need to pounce on immediately. The value we'd get back for these guys is just however much we valued having the roster/cap space over them in the lineup.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I don't think Helm is currently better than Glendening.

Glendening is a better shutdown center and PK guy. Neither guy brings much to the table offensively. Glendening is also pretty consistent in terms of his effort and has some of the worst offensive usage in the league. Helm gets opportunities almost nightly to remind us how bad he is offensively, he actually gets to play that role from time to time and fail at it as he always has. Glendening is better at the shared defensive responsibility and has similar production.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I don't think Helm is currently better than Glendening.

Glendening is a better shutdown center and PK guy. Neither guy brings much to the table offensively. Glendening is also pretty consistent in terms of his effort and has some of the worst offensive usage in the league. Helm gets opportunities almost nightly to remind us how bad he is offensively, he actually gets to play that role from time to time and fail at it as he always has. Glendening is better at the shared defensive responsibility and has similar production.

I really liked Helm when he was a dumb winger who skated hard and finished his checks.
But he's never had much hockey sense at either end of the ice.
The number of terrible plays and terrible reads he makes in his own end is astonishing.
For all the bitching people do about Athanasiou, Helm is 31 with nearly a decade of experience in the NHL - including two trips to the Stanley Cup Finals, and he makes much more blatantly awful mistakes in his own end.

He's 31. He's been injured a lot. The skating is slowing down.
This contract was bad before the ink dried. It's about to get awful.

I'd trade away a 5th rounder and Darren Helm to get a 7th rounder back.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Take Glendening because he's cheaper. As I have said in two other posts now, he's still not getting a second unless someone does something stupid that we would need to pounce on immediately. The value we'd get back for these guys is just however much we valued having the roster/cap space over them in the lineup.

Not sure about that.
Nashville traded a first rounder for Paul Gaustad.

But yeah, I'd take a second without a doubt for Helm or Glendening.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
He's faster. Sure.
Here are their 5-on-5 stats over the last four seasons.
Helm - 2977 minutes 25-34-59
Glendening - 2903 minutes 20-31-51

Considering Helm spent quite a bit of time in 2 of those seasons with Datsyuk...
Helm has a huge lead in CF%, but again, Datsyuk vs 4th liner who takes shutdown shifts in the defensive zone.

In terms of goals for vs goals against...
Helm has been on the ice for 100 goals and allow 117 goals for a GF% of 46.1.
Glenny has been on the ice for 81 goals and allowed 95. GF of 46.0 percent.

For fun, here are Abdelkader's numbers
3335 minutes 108 goals for 130 goals against, 45.38 GF%

Abby's offense is better
32-39-71

But in terms of rates, it's a little closer
Goals/60
Helm .5
Abby .58
Glendening .41
Points/60
Helm 1.19
Abdelakder 1.28
Glendening 1.05

Glendening any day.

Who has better Special Team Stats? I truthfully don't know the answer, and am actually curious.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Again, why?

Why is this even a topic?

You musta missed the big thread that says, wings are open for business on the trade front. Glendening is actually a guy I could see a playoff team really wanting for a playoff run. Hes one of the best faceoff guys in the league, somewhat physical, affordable and has some pretty solid matchup/shutdown ability.

Honestly, Glendening might be one of the best 4th line centers in the NHL. If he played on a team with some depth where he didnt need to get overplayed, I dont think anyone would have anything bad to say about him. He has trade value

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
2nd rounder seems realistic.

But I don't think Glendening will ever be traded, because he is the kind of character our management wants our future core be. He will be there as an example and a tutoring vet. Next Cleary, hangs on on his last knees.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I think Helm has a higher ceiling when healthy...but is rarely healthy for long, so they're in the same ballpark.

I'd be open to dealing either if the price is right, but there's a handful of other players that should fetch a better return, and/or free up more space, that I'd expect to be higher on the trade deadline to-do list.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Helm won't be traded before 2020 trade deadline. Just read his NTC clauses, and you understand the whole thing why it goes that way.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Helm won't be traded before 2020 trade deadline. Just read his NTC clauses, and you understand the whole thing why it goes that way.
Still doesn't help the team that he's going to collect dust at least a couple more years.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
It does help the TANK. Our tank/retooling is gonna last 2-3 extra years. It doesn't end at next summer.

Are you suggesting this- with darren helm we can't or aren' or won't tank but without darren helm we're attempting, trying to or are tanking?

I think this theory of tanking is thrown around as ignorantly as "fake news" to confuse the uneducated

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I have to wonder what Green (50% retained) + Glendening could fetch? That's a serious boost to a contenders special teams. Not necessarily a first round pick, but a top prospect should be the target. I could see a big trade with Vegas trying to make history. Tampa could also use Green on their second pp unit which would be ridiculous, and Glendening would help PK and with defensive faceoffs. That's the kind of move that'd really put them over the top.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
2nd rounder seems realistic.

But I don't think Glendening will ever be traded, because he is the kind of character our management wants our future core be. He will be there as an example and a tutoring vet. Next Cleary, hangs on on his last knees.

We have Abdelkader signed 5 more years.
We don't need Glenny.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad