Speculation: Trade value of Jokinen and Setoguchi

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I would gladly take the best draft choice for Stuart/Setoguchi/Jokinen. I like the drafting the Jets have done and an optimistic that Lowry/Petan/Comrie all 2nd or 3rd rounders will reach the NHL. The jury is still out on Sutter, but he is a Sutter so I wouldn't even give up on him.

If a team offers a 1st rounder for Jokinen I would do the deal immediately. Winnipeggers don't want a playoff team, they want a playoff contender. It's been nearly 30 years since a Jets team has made it past the 1st round and this city hasn't had a Jets team make it past the 2nd round in 35 years and that was the WHA.

johnnynucleo

SleepyBeepy
Aug 29, 2011
I'd put my money on Seto playing in Europe or the KHL next season...

Agreed

It's not about acquiring a guy who can jump into the top 6 and push a team over the top, it's about depth. If you go on a cup run, that's another 25 games. You need lots of guys who can eat some minutes and possibly replace injured players at an acceptable level.

Fair enough. I still say he doesnt get traded. Id bet my vbux on it if I could

Wpgpage

Nov 25, 2010
Seto will get a decent return, he would be an upgrade on the wing on any of LAK, ANA, SJS, or STL. STL SJS and ANA all have an extra 2nd round pick this year while LAK have the Oilers 3rd rounder. Not saying anyone will use him as a top 6 player but as a 3rd or 4th liner who can step up and provide secondary scoring he holds some value.

Olli I can see getting a similar return a 2nd rounder, CAR and WSH are both in need of help at the center and they both have all their picks up to the 5th round.

I would like to see both of them traded as I think you can replace/upgrade them in the off season.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
This....

At this stage, I would be happier than a pig in **** if the Jets could get what they paid for Setoguchi. Sadly, I see that as a massive longshot at this point.

Jokinen is tough. I wouldn't mind keeping him and re-signing him at about half of what he is currently making.
I am not sure he takes that deal. As for a trade, I have no idea what the Jets could get for him.

Is generally what I am thinking on these 2 players as well.

Setoguchi is a loss of a 2nd Round pick. I don't see any NHL team offering anything at all for him. We are stuck with him.

Jokinen I see the same. I would like him resigned as he is playing capably; re-up him for 2 more years with a 'competitive' contract. Now saying 'competitive' means he is asked what he is willing to accept in the next month - if he wants what he is paid now or more - trade him for a 2nd. His only liability is he is on the other side of the 30's in age and could drop off quickly in future years - as for the playoffs this year he would be a very solid addition to any Stanley Cup contender. Centermen of some note are hard to get and he is playing appreciably well this year.

I would say a 2nd rounder for Jokinen for said Stanley Cup contender would be fair.

We would get at least our 2nd back for the loss re: Seto, or should I say 'Sit-his-ass-a-gouchi' :sarcasm:

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Seto will get a decent return, he would be an upgrade on the wing on any of LAK, ANA, SJS, or STL. STL SJS and ANA all have an extra 2nd round pick this year while LAK have the Oilers 3rd rounder. Not saying anyone will use him as a top 6 player but as a 3rd or 4th liner who can step up and provide secondary scoring he holds some value.

Olli I can see getting a similar return a 2nd rounder, CAR and WSH are both in need of help at the center and they both have all their picks up to the 5th round.

I would like to see both of them traded as I think you can replace/upgrade them in the off season.

Hope you're right web. I see Seto as a primary target for numerous teams -add Pit, Vanc & Ott to those you listed. Normally I'd agree that both Seto & Joker would be grabbed, but I suspect that trading activity will be severely hampered this year by cap space

By the way, there also appears to be a reasonable list of suitors for Stu and Thorbs, so with a little luck we could come out of this with 2-3 more draft picks.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Honest question: teams only have to pick up the pro-rated amount of a contract for the remainder of the season, is that not correct? So it would affect teams right up against the cap but other would only be paying for about 20% of the salary or is that not right? Jets could also retain some salary if trading for picks, yes?

Wpgpage

Nov 25, 2010
Honest question: teams only have to pick up the pro-rated amount of a contract for the remainder of the season, is that not correct? So it would affect teams right up against the cap but other would only be paying for about 20% of the salary or is that not right? Jets could also retain some salary if trading for picks, yes?

That is correct, most teams would be able to get under the cap simply by waiving or assigning whatever player they are replacing to the minors. However I guess the Jets could eat some of the cap to get a certain deal done.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
At this point, I have a hard time believing we could get a 2nd back for Setoguchi. That said, there are teams out there that could still use his services because they are worse up than the JETS are for goals. I can see some teams turning to Setoguchi rather than paying a premium in a bidding war for Moulson.

Teams that immediately come to mind are Los Angeles and Phoenix. The Penguins while not hard up for goals are in need of a winger to play with Crosby and Kunitz. If anyone could trade could ignite Setogushi, that would be it.

Right now, I honestly peg his return at a 3rd rounder unless he went in a package with let's say Stuart. The two of them to the Coyotes for maybe Summers and a young player like Szwarz/Lessio and a 3rd might work.

As for Jokinen, I wouldn't expect a 1st, but stranger things have happened and I guess it just depends how desperate a team gets to make a move. I would expect a 2nd and a prospect that that organization has solid depth at. Maybe a 2nd and third like the Oduya deal.

I say Jokinen must be dealt although he should be made aware that the JETS will consider bringing him back for next season if the numbers are right.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00