Setoguchi -> third rounder
Jokinen -> second rounder, or maybe third + throwaway prospect

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
My guess:

It's unfortunate the Setoguchi experiment hasn't panned out like we had hoped. I am all for dealing Jokinen for a 2nd rounder and hope we land on another Nic Petan. Even if the player doesn't develop, I would still be satisfied as its a lot better than we got for Hainsey/Wellwood/Antropov at the trade deadline.

JMT21

I Give A Dam!
Aug 8, 2011
In My House
I don't know. Jokinen has made quite the turnaround from last season.... doubled point total thru first 48 games. He could be worth re-signing at maybe 2M - 2.5M although I'm not sure he'd take the pay cut.

As for Seto. he appears to be this year's "Jokinen"....... we'd be lucky to get a 2nd rounder for him....... I still think he plays with allot of energy and could rebound to have a good season next year.
Emphasis on "could".

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I don't know. Jokinen has made quite the turnaround from last season.... doubled point total thru first 48 games. He could be worth re-signing at maybe 2M - 2.5M although I'm not sure he'd take the pay cut.

As for Seto. he appears to be this year's "Jokinen"....... we'd be lucky to get a 2nd rounder for him....... I still think he plays with allot of energy and could rebound to have a good season next year.
Emphasis on "could".

If some team offers a 2nd for Setoguchi I would take it in a heartbeat. He could rebound but he could also spiral further downwards and continue to regress.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

Emphasis on "could".

I think Jokinen would take the pay cut. He has to be realistic about his age and upside to teams. He's not going to be playing top 6 with anyone really. The Jets, while fun to watch of late, still really aren't a playoff team and he's not playing top six minutes. So he can't crack top 6 on a bottom half of the league team? Yeah, the pay cut is likely looming. A much higher cap combined with a foolhardy GM could change that though.

I still think the Jets should move him and if they want him back, give him a ballpark figure for two years to re-sign as an UFA after the season is over and tell him to leave his family here. $2-2.5 for third line center duties is good money at that age. I think Hank's estimate of a return is a good one and I'd like to see our 2nd restored for the 2014 draft so that the development cupboard continues to be restocked.

I'm desperately hoping for a scoring run by Setoguchi to get him back up to that second round pick we sent away for him. I really don't have much interest in re-signing him and didn't really think it was a great pick up to begin with, very streaky player. Could be a third rounder in return.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
i think i' dbe looking for at 2nd + 3rd for joki the way he's played. He hasn't been great the last couple games but he's been good enough that i wouldn't necessarily "jump" at a second for him. If he carries 40+ point production into the deadline i could see a cup favorite going as far as a first for him (not that i would "demand" that, but i don't thin it's beyond possible).

I have no idea what we would get for gooch.

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
What's to stop us from trading Jokinen at the deadline, and then pursuing him again once FA starts? If the Jets can use him, I know I'd like to keep him around, but if we can rent him out AND get him back, why not?

Cut our losses with Seto. Trade him to whoever for whatever, write off his year here as roster fodder.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Jokinen is actually having a pretty impressive year from a 3rd line perspective. I'd never give up more than a 3rd to acquire him as I can't see his style being very conducive to the playoffs. If your team has a gaping hole from injury then maybe. If you need him that bad you probably aren't a contender to begin with (VAN).

Setoguchi might have some value to a team with a playmaking center that needs a finisher instead of a grinder. Despite the fact he has been the worse of him and Olli, I see teams willing to give up more to get him.

Stuart, who knows? Defensemen especially seem to get pretty good value. I wouldn't give up more than a 3rd, but if I was a contender I think I'd e okay with that price.

What I think we will get

Olli- 2015 3rd + 2014 mid
Setoguchi - two 3rds
Stuart - 4th + 2015 mid

It's not huge, but it at least gives us flexibility for moving up and down the board in the 2nd and 3rd round this year but even more so next.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
i think i' dbe looking for at 2nd + 3rd for joki the way he's played. He hasn't been great the last couple games but he's been good enough that i wouldn't necessarily "jump" at a second for him. If he carries 40+ point production into the deadline i could see a cup favorite going as far as a first for him (not that i would "demand" that, but i don't thin it's beyond possible).

I have no idea what we would get for gooch.

A first for Olli would be so freaking rad haha. It's not unprecedented.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
At this stage, I would be happier than a pig in **** if the Jets could get what they paid for Setoguchi. Sadly, I see that as a massive longshot at this point.

Jokinen is tough. I wouldn't mind keeping him and re-signing him at about half of what he is currently making.
I am not sure he takes that deal. As for a trade, I have no idea what the Jets could get for him.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
The Jets will try to keep jokinen. He is 4th in goals scored - how are they going to replace that near term with draft picks. He is probably going to end the year with 45 to 50 pts. And he seems to like living in wpg. I see the jets signing him to A 2 yr deal at $3.5 - $4m.

pegcity

Feb 9, 2011
Winnipeg
As someone else said, signing Olli would probably be a good decision.

Here are currently the top 10 centre free agents (by points this season).

Paul Stastny - 37 Point in 47 games - 6.6 million 2013-14 salary (too expensive for Jets)
David Legwand - 36 points in 45 games - 4.5 Million per season
MiKhail Grabovski - 33 points in 49 games - 3 million per season
Olli Jokinen - 31 in 54 games - 4.5 per season
Derek Roy - 31 in 49 games - 4 million per
Mike Santorelli - 28 in 49 games - 550k
Marcel Goc - 19 points in 52 games - 1.7 per
Saku Koivu - 19 in 38 games - 2.5 per
John Mitchell - 19 in 50 games - 1.1 per
Ryan Garbutt - 18 in 45 - 575K

Which out of these players would have a better offer than playing a 3rd line centre role on a 9-11th place team?

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Jokinen is actually having a pretty impressive year from a 3rd line perspective. I'd never give up more than a 3rd to acquire him as I can't see his style being very conducive to the playoffs. If your team has a gaping hole from injury then maybe. If you need him that bad you probably aren't a contender to begin with (VAN).

Setoguchi might have some value to a team with a playmaking center that needs a finisher instead of a grinder. Despite the fact he has been the worse of him and Olli, I see teams willing to give up more to get him.

Stuart, who knows? Defensemen especially seem to get pretty good value. I wouldn't give up more than a 3rd, but if I was a contender I think I'd e okay with that price.

What I think we will get

Olli- 2015 3rd + 2014 mid
Setoguchi - two 3rds
Stuart - 4th + 2015 mid

It's not huge, but it at least gives us flexibility for moving up and down the board in the 2nd and 3rd round this year but even more so next.

I like what is here, but I really do think that we could get more for Stu.

Old School GM's Love that type of player

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
As someone else said, signing Olli would probably be a good decision.

Here are currently the top 10 centre free agents (by points this season).

Paul Stastny - 37 Point in 47 games - 6.6 million 2013-14 salary (too expensive for Jets)
David Legwand - 36 points in 45 games - 4.5 Million per season
MiKhail Grabovski - 33 points in 49 games - 3 million per season
Olli Jokinen - 31 in 54 games - 4.5 per season
Derek Roy - 31 in 49 games - 4 million per
Mike Santorelli - 28 in 49 games - 550k
Marcel Goc - 19 points in 52 games - 1.7 per
Saku Koivu - 19 in 38 games - 2.5 per
John Mitchell - 19 in 50 games - 1.1 per
Ryan Garbutt - 18 in 45 - 575K

Which out of these players would have a better offer than playing a 3rd line centre role on a 9-11th place team?
IMO Stastny and Goc are the two best players on that list.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I like what is here, but I really do think that we could get more for Stu.

Old School GM's Love that type of player

Like Boston for running at the cu..... oh..

But on a serious note, I hope we sell all of Jokinen, Setoguchi and Stuart.

Even if these guys are ok, we need our depth to move forward and also time our depth around the appropriate ages.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I think someone will offer their 1st for Jokinen. An eastern team. Just a hunch.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
My guess:

I'm more optimistic that we might get a better return for Seto than for Joki. Teams that are serious abut making a al run for the cup are always looking for a real scorer. Seto is that machine - he's just streaky and appears lazy/uninterested much of the time when he's not hot.

Although it may not mean much, I'm seeing a lot more interest from multiple fanbases in the trading forums regarding what we might want for Seto. I don't think I've seen anything similar for Joki. The one thread has a listing of all the players that may get traded at the deadline. There are three jets listed among 25 or so players on it (Seto, Thors & Stu) but nobody seems to care about Jokinen (even after I mentioned that he should be added to that list).

johnnynucleo

SleepyBeepy
Aug 29, 2011
I predict we get absolutely nothing for either of these guys.

Only reason anyone trades for players (buys) at deadline is to beef up their roster for a cup run. NO ONE is saying "What's the missing piece that will take us to the promise land - I know - Setoguchi!". Neither guy goes at the deadline cause neither guy is making any cup contender "better". I guess it's possible Olli goes, but I seriously doubt it.

When it's all said and done, they both play out the year here, and go to UFA.

Seto signs with another team for start of next season if he's lucky, but we don't recoup the 2nd rounder we lost for him.

Joker maybe signs with us at 2-2.5m or possibly someone else.

Only possilbe guy getting traded at the deadline to make a cup contender better is Buff

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Trouble with anyone looking to unload Jokinen is that although he has played for a lot of years, he has played in exactly 6 NHL playoff games. He has essentially zero playoff experience, which is usually what buyers at the trade deadline are looking for.

Setoguchi and STuart might in fact be more likely pick ups at the deadline.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Is there anyone that thinks Seto would take a pay cut and resign?

If so would you want him for less? Can't imagine him getting any worse.. :help:

But onto the op, I'd want a 2nd for jokinen and a 3rd for Seto currently

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
Is there anyone that thinks Seto would take a pay cut and resign?

If so would you want him for less? Can't imagine him getting any worse.. :help:

But onto the op, I'd want a 2nd for jokinen and a 3rd for Seto currently

I'd put my money on him playing in California somewhere next season.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I predict we get absolutely nothing for either of these guys.

Only reason anyone trades for players (buys) at deadline is to beef up their roster for a cup run. NO ONE is saying "What's the missing piece that will take us to the promise land - I know - Setoguchi!". Neither guy goes at the deadline cause neither guy is making any cup contender "better". I guess it's possible Olli goes, but I seriously doubt it.

When it's all said and done, they both play out the year here, and go to UFA.

Seto signs with another team for start of next season if he's lucky, but we don't recoup the 2nd rounder we lost for him.

Joker maybe signs with us at 2-2.5m or possibly someone else.

Only possilbe guy getting traded at the deadline to make a cup contender better is Buff

It's not about acquiring a guy who can jump into the top 6 and push a team over the top, it's about depth. If you go on a cup run, that's another 25 games. You need lots of guys who can eat some minutes and possibly replace injured players at an acceptable level.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
It's not about acquiring a guy who can jump into the top 6 and push a team over the top, it's about depth. If you go on a cup run, that's another 25 games. You need lots of guys who can eat some minutes and possibly replace injured players at an acceptable level.

Yup.

More good players = better team.

More depth = more padding for injuries.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca