Trade trivia question... trade between 2 teams on the day that they played each other

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
Can anyone remember if two teams have ever made a trade in the day just before they were to play each other later that day, or immediately after just having played a game against each other?

Temppu

Nov 28, 2009
Esa Tikkanen was traded from Edmonton Oilers for Rangers Doug Weight and they played against each other same evening. It was 1993 if I remember right.

Last edited:

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
Esa Tikkanen was traded from Edmonton Oilers for Rangers Doug Weight and they played against each other same evening. It was 1993 if I remember right.

Just trying to imagine the player possibly flying in with one team and going on the ice to play with the other. What a weird feeling that must be.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
When the Jets and Habs traded Tangradi and Holland earlier this year they were getting ready for a game against each other in the AHL. They learned about it in the dressing room, gathered their stuff, switched dressing rooms and then lined up against each other for the opening faceoff.

davenash

Aug 2, 2005
Rimouski, PQ
Pretty sure Glen Metropolit went from Philly to Montreal on a day when the Flyers played the Habs.

I don't know if it was a trade or a waiver claim though.

Yog S'loth

Sep 7, 2005
Southern California
I remember Ozolinsh being traded in the middle of the all-star break in 2002, and him switching teams right in the middle. Did the skills contest with an Eastern jersey, played the game on the Western team.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
I remember Ozolinsh being traded in the middle of the all-star break in 2002, and him switching teams right in the middle. Did the skills contest with an Eastern jersey, played the game on the Western team.

He had been traded a couple days earlier from Florida to Anaheim. Ozolinsh was voted a Eastern Conference starter (the game was held in Sunrise that year), but skipped the skills contest because he would have had to wear the Panthers jersey (he was fined for doing so). He did play in the game though, on the East even though he was announced as a player for the Ducks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad