Rumor: Trade Thread XVIII: Brace Yourselves. Friday Is Coming.

• Thread starter BarbaraAlphanse
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

NYGBleedBlueNYR

Mar 16, 2010
I wonder if scratching Cali tonight might bring some updated offers.

Maybe a team thinks something is close & thinks lets see if they'd take this instead.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Girardi I can live with. I think the numbers he's looking for are a slight overpayment, but not outrageous. Callahan, on the other hand, is just completely out to lunch. He want's more money because of the emotional attachment fans have to him. Go play in Buffalo if you want that kind of money. With Zucc probably getting north of $3.5M on his next deal, we'd have somewhere between $17-18M tied up on the right-wing alone. 24% of the cap in one position. That's no way to build a team.

Would be really nice to see this get done before the Olympic break. I'm not going to be able to stand this place if there is two weeks of knowing nothing is going to happen and people start pulling **** out of their ass.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Girardi I can live with. I think the numbers he's looking for are a slight overpayment, but not outrageous. Callahan, on the other hand, is just completely out to lunch. He want's more money because of the emotional attachment fans have to him. Go play in Buffalo if you want that kind of money. With Zucc probably getting north of $3.5M on his next deal, we'd have somewhere between $17-18M tied up on the right-wing alone. 24% of the cap in one position. That's no way to build a team.

Would be really nice to see this get done before the Olympic break. I'm not going to be able to stand this place if there is two weeks of knowing nothing is going to happen and people start pulling **** out of their ass.

Exactly my thoughts as well. Girardi sounds like he is about in line AND he has yet to have an injury. He plays a premium position and premium minutes. Huge difference.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
The "cap going up" has become a way of justifying giving huge mega contracts out like candy around here. I'm sure that Philly is thrilled with LeCavalier's contract, and Toronto is loving that Clarkson contract because hey, the cap is going up!

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
His minutes come at EV and on the PK....you cannot justify paying a player 6 million a season to kill penalties. If I knew the Rangers would give Callahan a crazy contract like this then I would have said keep Prust for 4 million less and get less offense.

Bottom line is there are 7 forwards on 2 PP units and Callahan isn't one of them. Captain or not, you cannot pay him that kind of money.

Cally is second on the team in ES minutes among forwards. He's 6th in Pk minutes. He's 7th in PP minutes...

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
The "cap going up" has become a way of justifying giving huge mega contracts out like candy around here. I'm sure that Philly is thrilled with LeCavalier's contract, and Toronto is loving that Clarkson contract because hey, the cap is going up!

I do not agree with giving big contracts out to UFAs. Never have, always loathed the period of time leading up to July 1st as a ranger fan. Got burned so many times as a teenage ranger fan in the late 90s- early 00s. So no the 'cap going up' isn't a way of justifying giving huge mega contracts out like candy around here. It's about having foresight. And using it to build your roster going forward.

Just like cost management is.

Taking a rising cap into consideration when signing deals which will fit within that raised cap, is as much a necessity in constructing your roster as limiting Callahan/Girardi's cost now, and signing RFA guys to either bridge deals or buying some of their UFA years.

Signing Callahan now for the next 6 years, means the Rangers don't have to potentially take a chance on a Clarkson type player in the future. Toronto took a chance on Clarkson bc he provided a role for NJ which is valued around the league, Clarkson was the wrong guy, wrong ego to give a contract like that too. Character wise, work ethic wise, Callahan and Clarkson are probably as opposite as night and day. Much rather know what I have going forward, especially when your talking about a top 5 player on the team for the last 6 seasons and your captain. As opposed to taking that Clarkson gamble with another player with the same upside/downside in the near future.

Last edited:

Punxrocknyc19*

or maybe he wants more money because he knows he is injury prone and as he gets older, he will wear and tend to break down and it could be his last big contract :help:

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Why do people keep repeating this "cally is a third line RW" thing?

He's third on the team in ice time among forwards. He averages more time a game than Nash.

Yeah agreed
Therefore he needs to get 2nd line Winger money
How many such players at similiar age make close to $7M x 7 today?

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
or maybe he wants more money because he knows he is injury prone and as he gets older, he will wear and tend to break down and it could be his last big contract :help:

That line that Callahan wants more money bc of the fans emotional attachments to him is a very negative comment to say about the dude. I think it has more to deal with comparable contracts around the league and the quoted statement above

Let Blaine Die

Holden out 4 a hero
Jan 4, 2012
NYC
That line that Callahan wants more money bc of the fans emotional attachments to him is a very negative comment to say about the dude. I think it has more to deal with comparable contracts around the league and the quoted statement above

It may not be what Callahan is thinking, but it definitely is influencing what Bartlett is selling to his client. It doesn't help that Buffalo is reaffirming the asking price.

Then again, it is Bartlett's job to get Callahan the best contract he can. In a round about way I'm saying that I agree with you. :laugh: Just frustrating when your team's captain is asking for a price that is not even overpayment, but astronomical overpayment.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

Silly me. I kind of thought that was widely accepted as a reason as well. Unless I said "the only reason" somewhere in my post. :huh:

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
It may not be what Callahan is thinking, but it definitely is influencing what Bartlett is selling to his client. It doesn't help that Buffalo is reaffirming the asking price.

Then again, it is Bartlett's job to get Callahan the best contract he can. In a round about way I'm saying that I agree with you. :laugh: Just frustrating when your team's captain is asking for a price that is not even overpayment, but astronomical overpayment.

Someone gets it. :handclap:

He's justifying the money by trying to play up the "heart and soul" stuff through the media. The "Cally" chants at the game the other night were tugging at the heart strings of just about everyone around here. I have no doubt he would like to remain a Ranger, but he and his agent are pricing him out of it. They're using the emotional attachment of the fans to try and justify the money to the Rangers.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
Yeah, this really needs to get done one way or another before the Olympics. It's going to be unbearable here otherwise.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Someone gets it. :handclap:

He's justifying the money by trying to play up the "heart and soul" stuff through the media. The "Cally" chants at the game the other night were tugging at the heart strings of just about everyone around here. I have no doubt he would like to remain a Ranger, but he and his agent are pricing him out of it. They're using the emotional attachment of the fans to try and justify the money to the Rangers.

Exactly. Business decision. Make the smart choice. He is a very good player. A very valuable piece to any team. @ 7 million he is overpaid. Is Callahan worth 800k less than Nash? No.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
almost 30
frequently dinged up
plays a bigmans game with a smallmans body
plays to a 2/3 tweener rather than a pure top 6
not really a scorer.
high "intangibles"
shot blocker extrordinaire
team captain.

thats his resume

hes looking for high end forward money. sadly, hes looking for overpayment. emotion doesnt play into contract negotiations.

pass and trade.

good luck cally.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011

I agree with you. I really hope personally it is as simple as: 'I'm gonna say 7years, and your going to say 5 years. Im going to say 6 million and your going to say 7 million. So, I'll compromise on the term and you'll compromise on the dollar amount.'

6years and 6million

Bold is Sather
Italics is Barlett

Sather compromises on term and gives another year on the deal. Callahan/Barlett compromises on dollar amount and take a million less per.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

This is exactly it. This is exactly it... I am game to give him a 7 year deal. I am game to give him above his production for the intangibles.

But not the 7 year $47M. That prevents quality players in bottom 6 and bottom pair roles, forces trades of players due for a raise. Keeps quality FAs from being signed.

I love Callahan, but if Callahan loves winning, he takes a shade below $6M over term like Richards and Brown and LA. Callahan produces around what they do, perhaps a little less, and doesn't have a cup.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
So now the organization cares about a fan backlash if they trade away Callahan? They certainly didn't 10 years ago when Leetch was traded, and that was far more controversial than the current situation.

It seems like a sizeable portion of the fanbase is on board with trading Callahan. Whatever backlash that occurs will probably be minimal and I'm quite sure these fans will continue to watch games and buy tickets.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
The NHL release the $71.1M cap projection on December 9.

The NHL is now forecasting the financial markets? The CDN closed at 94 cents on the 9th.

It closed at 90 yesterday. Its been at the 89 and 90 cents level for the last 2 weeks. It was at 96 cents at the start of the NHL season.

Some projections have the Canadian dollar ending up between 86 to 88 cents by the end of this year. Bottoming out at 85 to 86 cents.

The Rogers deal is in Canadian dollars for $5.2B. $4.9B US. It was announced on November 26 with the dollar being .9498. The same TV deal is worth $4.7B US today.

No one ever said the cap is never going up. It will go up but with the Canadian TV deal in Canadian funds it will be less than the NHL projected. The same thing with the Canadian revenue from ticket sales.

Its amazing that Elliotte Friedman and Renaud Lavoie discuss the Canadian dollar hurting the cap but you know more than them from Sweden.

RB, you don't think the NHL places hedges to protect themselves from these currency swings? For such a large business that deals in multiple currencies I would be absolutely shocked if they didn't have a system in place to manage that risk.

For those who don't understand how this would work, the NHL would sell Canadian currency forward and buy USD on the date that they are set to receive the Canadian dollars. That way they lock themselves in at the current rate (minus forward points), and are completely protected from movement in currency. Pretty much all large businesses that deal in foreign currency operate this way, and I doubt that the NHL would expose themselves to this potential 500m loss (from 5.2B to 4.7B).

Last edited:

TheRedressor

Oct 3, 2005
Cally is second on the team in ES minutes among forwards. He's 6th in Pk minutes. He's 7th in PP minutes...

I disagree with nothing you said there....you still cannot pay that profile type of player close to 7 million per season for the next 7 years.......he is not elite in his position

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
Exactly. Business decision. Make the smart choice. He is a very good player. A very valuable piece to any team. @ 7 million he is overpaid. Is Callahan worth 800k less than Nash? No.

Callahan is not a 7 million dollar player. But when you start bringing Nash into the equation, Ill tell you all last season and post-season, I'd be laughing at you saying Nash was more valuable then Callahan.

It's tough debating this bc, Callahan is not a 7 million dollar player, but if you are of the faction that wants him resigned, its automatically assumed in responses here that your willing to give him 7 million. I don't think Callahan is a 7 million dollar player and I don't think Nash has proven to be more valuable then what Callahan has given us over the years.

Your judging his future based on his play in a lockout shortened season and a season in which he was rehabbing from shoulder surgery all summer, and has been injured 2-3 times during the season. Maybe this is the aberration. As some have pointed out, his numbers have been looking better and better, as has the Rangers game. Coincidence, cause and effect, by-product. Thats up for debate too.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
So now the organization cares about a fan backlash if they trade away Callahan? They certainly didn't 10 years ago when Leetch was traded, and that was far more controversial than the current situation.

It seems like a sizeable portion of the fanbase is on board with trading Callahan. Whatever backlash that occurs will probably be minimal and I'm quite sure these fans will continue to watch games and buy tickets.

gretzky was traded.

and winning trumps backlash.

callys a goner and sadly (im a huge fan), thats the right play.

and cally probably knows it.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Callahan is not a 7 million dollar player. But when you start bringing Nash into the equation, Ill tell you all last season and post-season, I'd be laughing at you saying Nash was more valuable then Callahan.

It's tough debating this bc, Callahan is not a 7 million dollar player, but if you are of the faction that wants him resigned, its automatically assumed in responses here that your willing to give him 7 million. I don't think Callahan is a 7 million dollar player and I don't think Nash has proven to be more valuable then what Callahan has given us over the years.

Your judging his future based on his play in a lockout shortened season and a season in which he was rehabbing from shoulder surgery all summer, and has been injured 2-3 times during the season. Maybe this is the aberration. As some have pointed out, his numbers have been looking better and better, as has the Rangers game. Coincidence, cause and effect, by-product. Thats up for debate too.

I'm going off of their entire careers, not just 1 year. They are about the same age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad