Speculation: Trade Thread Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Stastny is younger and puts up as many points as Richards would at this stage in his career. Better defensively too. Him and Stepan gives us a very good 1-2 punch up the middle.

Richards' contract is going to be absolutely horrible in 2-3 seasons. Even with the cap going up, does anyone want to pay Richards 6.67 million a year to play on the 3rd line and put up 40 -45 points?

Where have I heard these things before?

Every. Single. Time the Rangers sign a big FA center. I think it is time to face the music. Just short of a young center unhappy with his current team situation, there is no reason to believe FA centers hitting the market are worth the big money they are asking for.

You have to ask the logical questions. If Stastny is so good, and will be worth his next contract, that is bound to be way too much, then why isn't Colorado giving it to him? Anaheim paid Getzlaf because he is worth it. Will Colorado pay Stastny? If not you need to be asking why.

SKjEi o2

Nov 13, 2013
If we amnesty Richards, we have to somehow replace his production. I'm not saying Statsny is the answer, but we would have to bring someone in to fill his slot because I sure as hell don't want Stepan and Brassard as our top 6 centers.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
If we amnesty Richards, we have to somehow replace his production. I'm not saying Statsny is the answer, but we would have to bring someone in to fill his slot because I sure as hell don't want Stepan and Brassard as our top 6 centers.

The bolded is what it ultimately boils down to for me. Brassard hasn't shown me that he's capable of being a 2nd line center on a team contending for a Cup. If you want to retool on the go and still compete, you need to replace Richards' production.

The typical Rangers move would actually be to throw 5 years and 40 million at Joe Thornton with full NMC, not signing Stastny to a 7 year deal that will take him to 34 worth Richards' money. Otherwise, where are the Rangers replacing Richards' production up the middle? There are no center prospects in the pipeline that will even come close to making an impact within the next two years.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville

Neither do I. I hate Brassard and Stepan is not a #1.

It's the predictable Sather move. Of course they will sign Stastny.

I'd like to see something bold like the Seguin trade, but realistically who is available and do the Rangers have the depth and assets to obtain them? My guess is no one and probably not.

Come on down Stastny. I'm not saying they won't sign him or it isn't their only option, but I don't think we should be justifying it by pretending Stastny will be different than the rest.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
The bolded is what it ultimately boils down to for me. Brassard hasn't shown me that he's capable of being a 2nd line center on a team contending for a Cup. If you want to retool on the go and still compete, you need to replace Richards' production.

The typical Rangers move would actually be to throw 5 years and 40 million at Joe Thornton with full NMC, not signing Stastny to a 7 year deal that will take him to 34 worth Richards' money. Otherwise, where are the Rangers replacing Richards' production up the middle? There are no center prospects in the pipeline that will even come close to making an impact within the next two years.

Thornton and Stasny are the same thing. The difference is Joe Thornton has proved he can be an elite number one pivot. It won't shock me if San Jose re-signs him unless he is really looking for a retirement contract. Yeah Stastny is younger but he is not elite and won't be worth paying #1C money to.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Stastny is younger and puts up as many points as Richards would at this stage in his career. Better defensively too. Him and Stepan gives us a very good 1-2 punch up the middle.

Richards' contract is going to be absolutely horrible in 2-3 seasons. Even with the cap going up, does anyone want to pay Richards 6.67 million a year to play on the 3rd line and put up 40 -45 points?

Is Stastny signing for less that 6.67? Because in 3 years he could be in exactly the same boat. 45-55 point overpaid 3rd line center. It's the same script. Actually BR was much better than Stastny at comparable ages. Pretty much every point of his career.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia

like it or not the C's are likely Stepan, Brassard then Miller and a cheap faceoff/PK C

Kreider, Stepan, Nash
UFA( Cammeleri?), Brassard, Zuccarello
Hagelin, Miller, Callahan
UFA, UFA, Dorsett

the UFA 4th liners could be Carcillo, Moore ,Pouliott or it could be a kid like Lindberg, Fast

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Thornton and Stasny are the same thing. The difference is Joe Thornton has proved he can be an elite number one pivot. It won't shock me if San Jose re-signs him unless he is really looking for a retirement contract. Yeah Stastny is younger but he is not elite and won't be worth paying #1C money to.

Not even close to being the same thing, but I'm too tired to argue the point, I need to go to sleep.

I'll just leave it as I hope that the Rangers brass sees this as a problem just as we do. If this team goes into next year with Stepan, Brassard, Miller, and Boyle/Lindberg /Moore as the centers, it's among the worst center depth in the league.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Buying out Richards, and then signing Stastny accomplishes what exactly?

short term nothing...might even be a downgrade. long term though at the end of the 6 year deal stastny would be a year older than richards is right now...at the end of the 6 year deal richards might be 2-3 years into retirement.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
The argument about not knowing what Callahan and Girardi are going to command for their next contracts, isn't really an argument at all. In fact, all it does it lend an excuse (and a poor one at that) to dithering on the situations.

These are going to be 2 coveted guys on the market. They are going to get more years and more money than was has been deemed "reasonable" around here, which is usually 5 years/5 - 5.5M per. Theres a very small chance they will take some sort of hometown discount.

If you're making this type of argument, you're setting yourself up to be shocked by the insanity of the UFA market come the summer, which is strange considering the myriad of players the Rangers themselves have overpaid.

Fans who are advocating some sort of other avenue are the ones that don't want to be caught with their pants down in July surprised and shocked by the price for these guys.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Not even close to being the same thing, but I'm too tired to argue the point, I need to go to sleep.

I'll just leave it as I hope that the Rangers brass sees this as a problem just as we do. If this team goes into next year with Stepan, Brassard, Miller, and Boyle/Lindberg /Moore as the centers, it's among the worst center depth in the league.

They both represent this franchises inability to procure a young number one center who is elite and in their prime. Signing either one is to try and soften the blow. It's not about age and skill set. Not even a little. To me it makes zero difference if they sign one or the other because neither help this team solve the aforementioned problem.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Or trade Callahan and/or Girardi for a strong center prospect.

No that would make sense and be too risky/stupid to the majority of our fellow arm-chair GMs. Let's go for the Cup instead and then give them both bloated contracts. #YOLO

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Why not? Neither has played like a 1st line center this year, but neither has Richards. They are both capable of putting up significant points given the minutes and good linemates. Stepan is much better defensively but Brassard is more creative offensively.

They may not be the perfect combo, but I have no problem going into next year with them as our top 2 centers. In any case, who are we getting that is better? Stastny isn't an upgrade and he'll cost more.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I am not necessarily in favor of signing Stastny, but the reason he isn't being brought back is simple...

Colorado has Duchene, ROR, and MacKinnon who can all play center.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Why not? Neither has played like a 1st line center this year, but neither has Richards. They are both capable of putting up significant points given the minutes and good linemates. Stepan is much better defensively but Brassard is more creative offensively.

They may not be the perfect combo, but I have no problem going into next year with them as our top 2 centers. In any case, who are we getting that is better? Stastny isn't an upgrade and he'll cost more.

I definitely have a problem with it.

But I'd have more of a problem if the plan is to buy-out Richards and then panic about replacing him.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I am not necessarily in favor of signing Stastny, but the reason he isn't being brought back is simple...

Colorado has Duchene, ROR, and MacKinnon who can all play center.

Is it confirmed that he isn't being brought back? ROR has been playing wing with Duchene all year and the two are playing extremely well together.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Because people seem to think that trading for an up and comer is more of a risk than signing a free agent. We've had so much luck with the latter that I can see why they would feel that way. :sarcasm:

Im all for that approach.

I don't think many people would be happy when they see the price associated with a center with #1 upside.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Is it confirmed that he isn't being brought back? ROR has been playing wing with Duchene all year and the two are playing extremely well together.

No it isn't, but I have a strong suspicion that Stastny's agent knows he can go get the big minutes and big bucks in a number of other places, in Colorado he'll always be just one of the centers.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008

MacKinnon has also been playing a great deal of time on RW with Duchene.

Stastny has been playing as the second line center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig