Speculation: Trade Thread Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
I know how highly Canes fans value him, and I like him, but Justin Faulk has never really wowed me to the point of considering him a top pairing D. He is prone to MDZ-caliber mistakes in his own end that would have him torn apart on here. I will be keeping a close eye on him at Sochi.

Yea it's possible. I haven't watched him much.

I do think finding a RD to pair with McD for the next decade has to be looked at.

Similar to how the blues brought in Bouwmeester to pair with Pietrangelo.

Though Bouwmeester was 28 when they made the deal with his skating ability he can probably play to mid-late 30s.

I don't have as much faith in girardi being able to do that

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
http://nypost.com/2014/01/14/in-big-picture-deals-may-not-help-rangers/

Brooks is skipping a step. You can certainly make arguments both ways on whether its best to dump Cally or Girardi looking 3-5 years ahead. I mean, how exactly does it help us to get Sbisa, Souray and a 1st for Girardi? Ok, if the 1st turns out to be one of those steals. The odds for that is maybe 1 / 30. We get some cap-space, but what is that worth? We will see some insane deals in the near future, we don't exactly have the best track-records with UFAs.

Ottawa proclaimed that they will sacrifize their future to get better now (but they are not prepared to deal any of their good prospects or young players, don't be getting any ideas now!).

Half the league is living on LTIR and won't have any cap-space come deadline. I am not opposed to taking 50% of Girardi's contract back in a deal, if it means we get ONE young grade-A piece back, IE at least a top 20-30 prospect outside the NHL. A top 10 pick, or something like that. But we aren't even getting other teams' JT Millers.

If the bolded is the best we can do, then absolutely we don't trade Girardi. If other teams aren't willing to pay, then we might as well re-sign him regardless of the cost and then consider trading him at some point down the road.

When push comes to shove though, teams are going to up their offers. There will be a lot of teams wanting to trade for Girardi. He has a low cap number and we can retain up to 50%. We can also take back salary. We have plenty of deadline cap space.

The problem is that I don't trust Sather to do the smart thing.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I can only imagine the outrage here if we miss the playoffs and both Girardi and Callahan don't resign & we don't trade either.

And Richards gets hurt and we can't buy him out. Talk about a nightmare scenario.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Also I highly doubt we trade Callahan to a hated division rival.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
You're funny. You use strictly stats to base your argument off of yet Setoguchi has scored over 60 points and over 30 goals. But because he did it a few years ago it doesn't count. If you actually watch Setoguchi he's one of those players that still contributes at a high level even if he's not on the score sheet. He's also gotten considerably less ice time than Stepan. He's a gritty player that can considerably chip in offense; I think it's pretty obvious this team needs more grit.

So when you throw out the season Stepan had last year as an "aberration" it's fine, but when others throw out Setoguchi's 30 goal season -- which he's now 2 teams and 4 years removed from -- that's where you draw the line? :laugh:

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
This team is good enough to make the playoffs without Callahan.

This team is good enough to make the playoffs without Del Zotto.

Pending return, this team is NOT good enough to make the playoffs without Girardi.

All of these statements pertain to the 2013-2014 NHL season.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

Pending return, this team is NOT good enough to make the playoffs without Girardi.

As much as I love Callahan and hate to say this, I agree with you here.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

Fact. I feel the same way about Boyle, however, if they decide to re-sign Girardi, they should move Stralman. I highly doubt they re-sign both.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Fact. I feel the same way about Boyle, however, if they decide to re-sign Girardi, they should move Stralman. I highly doubt they re-sign both.

I agree and disagree on Boyle. If we plug in a guy like Steve Ott, then yeah. It depends on return for Boyle. He's a great 4C to have going into the playoffs IMO. It's when he plays anywhere above the fourth line that he's an issue. And maybe that's an issue with Boyle within itself.

Punxrocknyc19*

If Callahan get dealt I think there is a very good chance it will be to Phoenix.

if Sather can snag Runblad, Samuelsson and a 2ed for Callahan it should be done then flip Girardi to a team like Red Wings for Mantha and a dman like Almquist.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I agree and disagree on Boyle. If we plug in a guy like Steve Ott, then yeah. It depends on return for Boyle. He's a great 4C to have going into the playoffs IMO. It's when he plays anywhere above the fourth line that he's an issue. And maybe that's an issue with Boyle within itself.

Boyle is a great PKer and faceoff guy, but the offense just dies on his stick. I'm not expecting him to get 20 goals again, but be able to complete a pass and get a shot on goal when he is fed a perfect pass, all alone in the slot. It was painful watching him with the puck last night.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

If they move Girardi or Callahan, they better move Boyle. No point in keeping him and losing him for nothing.

BarbaraAlphanse

If they move Girardi or Callahan, they better move Boyle. No point in keeping him and losing him for nothing.

Then it becomes an overhaul. Do we want that?

Callahan, Girardi, and Boyle all go... that's a steep course of direction for the franchise.

Punxrocknyc19*

Callahan, Girardi, and Boyle all go... that's a steep course of direction for the franchise.

rather get something for them before when its too late losing them for nothing...

imagine if Callahan walks and signs say with Kings or Sharks in offseason... imagine the riot that Rangers didnt even get a prospect or something back for him :help:

BarbaraAlphanse

Sather has never been troubled to trade his players at the peak of their value for a return that would benefit us for the future.

Anyone hoping for a Girardi, Callahan, Boyle, Del Zotto trade shouldn't hold their breath.

Sather doesn't operate that way. Old dogs don't change their tricks.

frisland

Apr 9, 2003

That could happen in the off-season anyway, then you lose them all for nothing.

BarbaraAlphanse

rather get something for them before when its too late losing them for nothing...

imagine if Callahan walks and signs say with Kings or Sharks in offseason... imagine the riot that Rangers didnt even get a prospect or something back for him :help:

That won't happen. If we pass the deadline and Cally isn't traded there is only 1 possible outcome... massive overpayment to ensure he stays with the Rangers.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

I think the original idea was to move Callahan and keep Girardi. If they move Callahan, move Boyle too. They can find another 4th line PKer.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Boyle is a great PKer and faceoff guy, but the offense just dies on his stick. I'm not expecting him to get 20 goals again, but be able to complete a pass and get a shot on goal when he is fed a perfect pass, all alone in the slot. It was painful watching him with the puck last night.

This has always been my issue with him. Anytime he scores it's pure luck and happenstance. I said that during his amazing 20 goal yr as well.

He is what he is. Don't expect any, ANY offense and he's ok.

BarbaraAlphanse

I think the original idea was to move Callahan and keep Girardi. If they move Callahan, move Boyle too. They can find another 4th line PKer.

Sather seems to find these guys quite often. That wouldn't be the problem. I worry about the effect it would have on the locker room. Boyle loves the team, the city, his team mates. He's not commanding a big raise.

Look at the effect losing Prust, Rupp, and Dubinsky had.

We need more grit, if anything.

BarbaraAlphanse

Saw a Staal for Faulk trade proposal here. The time has passed where we could get Faulk. Not realistic in my opinion to expect him back.

Murphy is, though. Prospects tend to be more available than established NHLers who have very promising careers ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad