Speculation: Trade Thread Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnydollaz89*

Wish there was a way to get my man Kane out of Winnipeg, but it will cost a lot.

Should really look into Ladd, a package of Hagelin + Fast/Hrivik + 2nd may get it done. I'd be more than willing to do that. Veteran leadership, 2-Time Stanley Cup Champion. Sign me up.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Kane is also primarily an even strength producer, so that would be an extra boost to our current roster.

But I get the feeling the price would be way too high. They would want Kreider to start, and that would set us back as much as it pulled us forward.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Exactly. Yet another option. Stralman may return a high end C prospect as well or draft one?

There are people who will tell you trading any of them isn't an option because we are in the midst of our 10 billionth attempt at a Cinderella fairytale Cup run, and this year might just be their year.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Still don't see any reason to trade Hagelin. He fits the style AV wants this team to play. Still young. He was selected to team Sweden. He has talent. You hold onto Hags.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
No it isn't, but I have a strong suspicion that Stastny's agent knows he can go get the big minutes and big bucks in a number of other places, in Colorado he'll always be just one of the centers.

They have a ton of money to spend, so I don't think that'll be an issue. Ice time could be a concern, but I think he'll re-up. He's played his entire career there and now that the team is having a lot of success, I have a hard time seeing him walking out the door over money and ice time.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Because people seem to think that trading for an up and comer is more of a risk than signing a free agent. We've had so much luck with the latter that I can see why they would feel that way. :sarcasm:

I just don't see anyone with that kind of upside on the team, or in the pipeline. I would love to develop our own 1C but that player isn't on the Rangers at any level.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
In terms of point production of listed centres this season the rangers have

#23- Richards
#44- Stepan
#60- Brassard

So, to be technical, we have a 1B, 2, and 2B this season, although it makes you think about losing Richards this offseason. (He is just behind Sedin in production)

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Im all for that approach.

I don't think many people would be happy when they see the price associated with a center with #1 upside.

Might have to take a gamble on a misfit toy in this instance. The question is can this team find a prospect or young player with that kind of upside who has also fallen out of favor or fallen down the depth chart?

This team badly needs another McDonagh-esque trade. They need a talented forward and have very few assets to spare.

Punxrocknyc19*

Wish there was a way to get my man Kane out of Winnipeg, but it will cost a lot.

Should really look into Ladd, a package of Hagelin + Fast/Hrivik + 2nd may get it done. I'd be more than willing to do that. Veteran leadership, 2-Time Stanley Cup Champion. Sign me up.

id love Ladd but moving Hagelin would hurt especially since the Rangers are not a fast skating team... outside of Hagelin Kreider Zucc and sometimes Callahan this team is not fast at all.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
They have a ton of money to spend, so I don't think that'll be an issue. Ice time could be a concern, but I think he'll re-up. He's played his entire career there and now that the team is having a lot of success, I have a hard time seeing him walking out the door over money and ice time.

Does Colorado have the money? I get the feeling that they're on an internal budget right now, although that could change with the success they're seeing. The other question is whether or not Colorado would rather spend that money elsewhere. The money Stastny is going to get would bring in a solid 3rd line center and a decent 2nd pair defenseman. From a roster building standpoint, there are ways in which it makes sense for Colorado to let Stastny go... or even trade him at the deadline for the same reasons we talk about trading Callahan and Girardi.

I'm not entirely sure I would want Stastny on this team. Mostly, I worry about adding another center with skating issues.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
If Brassard is in the top 6 as a placeholder or stopgap while the team retools, I can live with it.

However, if Brassard is playing in the top 6 and the team has intentions of "contending" as usual, he will not get the job done. He is underwhelming at even strength and has gotten most of his points on the power play. His defensive play is nonexistent and he doesn't have another dimension to his game to compensate for his inconsistency.

The Rangers will have to go outside the organization if they want to field a competitive group of centers next year. Stepan-Brassard-Miller-Boyle/Moore is as mediocre as it gets, and only our 4th line will be capable of winning faceoffs.

howztheglass

Jan 27, 2009
I am not necessarily in favor of signing Stastny, but the reason he isn't being brought back is simple...

Colorado has Duchene, ROR, and MacKinnon who can all play center.

As I was reading everybodies posts a thought crossed my mind:

How about Stastny for Callahan,

Center for a wing--both unsigned past this year--most likely going to get the same money unless Cally gives a home town discount.

Stepan first/Stastny first one line center the other second line center.

Can we get more from someone else--possibly but just a thought.

There's not to many Stastny fans here so this might not go over to well.

johnnydollaz89*

id love Ladd but moving Hagelin would hurt especially since the Rangers are not a fast skating team... outside of Hagelin Kreider Zucc and sometimes Callahan this team is not fast at all.

I think it's a trade you make. Adds another legit top-6 forward to our team. It would hurt losing Hags, he and Boyle have been beastly on the PK together. I still think it's a deal you make.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

I do not agree. All our wingers are great skaters, it's our centers that are piss poor. Stepan, Richards, Boyle are all bad skaters, and it hurts moving through the three zones as they carry the puck up ice.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
It's been mentioned by a bunch of people, but I get the sinking feeling that the player we will target in the offseason will be Thornton. You just know that if we sign him, he'll go from the PPG player he still is at 34 to a 3rd line center. Anyone else signs him and he'll be fine.

BarbaraAlphanse

It's been mentioned by a bunch of people, but I get the sinking feeling that the player we will target in the offseason will be Thornton. You just know that if we sign him, he'll go from the PPG player he still is at 34 to a 3rd line center. Anyone else signs him and he'll be fine.

I think he re-ups with SJ. I think our main target will be Stastny.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
As I was reading everybodies posts a thought crossed my mind:

How about Stastny for Callahan,

Center for a wing--both unsigned past this year--most likely going to get the same money unless Cally gives a home town discount.

Stepan first/Stastny first one line center the other second line center.

Can we get more from someone else--possibly but just a thought.

There's not to many Stastny fans here so this might not go over to well.

Doesn't make sense for Colorado.

Stastny is likely to be moved unless
a) The money isn't there, or the front office thinks the money is best spent else where
b) The Avs are offered an upgrade on defense.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY

I think we sign him as well considering his relationship with Nash.

BarbaraAlphanse

I wonder what it would take to get Nugent-Hopkins from Edmonton. Let them keep Yak for all I care, N-H would be a smarter player to target.

BarbaraAlphanse

Doesn't make sense for Colorado.

Stastny is likely to be moved unless
a) The money isn't there, or the front office thinks the money is best spent else where
b) The Avs are offered an upgrade on defense.

What makes me agree with you is that I don't think they'll tie up 14 million dollars on 2 players that may never exceed 65 points during the duration of their contracts. Stastny did it 3 times, his first 2 years and then another random year, but hasn't repeated anything over 60 in his last 3 seasons and it doesn't look like he'll break 65 on a year where Colorado is as dominant as they've been in the past decade.

Statsny may also become the 3c for them, as Duchene is regarded as the better of the two, and 7 mill for a 3c would be a horrific deal.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Does Colorado have the money? I get the feeling that they're on an internal budget right now, although that could change with the success they're seeing. The other question is whether or not Colorado would rather spend that money elsewhere. The money Stastny is going to get would bring in a solid 3rd line center and a decent 2nd pair defenseman. From a roster building standpoint, there are ways in which it makes sense for Colorado to let Stastny go... or even trade him at the deadline for the same reasons we talk about trading Callahan and Girardi.

I'm not entirely sure I would want Stastny on this team. Mostly, I worry about adding another center with skating issues.

I've never seen any indication that they're on an internal budget. I doubt Sakic and Roy would take part in that organization with a restriction like that on the budget.

The money on Stastny might bring in those assets, but who's to say those assets will be available for 'only money' in the offseason? The better move might be to re-sign him and then deal him later as a package for those assets. For now, he's an important veteran presence on a pretty young squad.

Punxrocknyc19*

I do not agree. All our wingers are great skaters, it's our centers that are piss poor. Stepan, Richards, Boyle are all bad skaters, and it hurts moving through the three zones as they carry the puck up ice.

i do agree with you and the best skating center is Dom Moore and for a guy that skates well, he does not put up much scoring but he does do a lot of other things well and i would not mind him back if Lindberg is still not ready. i bet Miller is on the 3rd line next year at some point......

BarbaraAlphanse

I've never seen any indication that they're on an internal budget. I doubt Sakic and Roy would take part in that organization with a restriction like that on the budget.

The money on Stastny might bring in those assets, but who's to say those assets will be available for 'only money' in the offseason? The better move might be to re-sign him and then deal him later as a package for those assets. For now, he's an important veteran presence on a pretty young squad.

Options:

1) Resign at a high cap value for like 5-7 years. Have him fluctuate between the 1, 2 and 3c depending on Duchene and ROR's development.
2) Trade him for assets and retool. Duchene could conceivably handle the reigns. Stastny could get you a coup. Team needs defense. Get the best defensive prospect you can get and a reliable 3rd liner that fits Roy's style of play.
3) Keep him, figure the money is too high, let him walk.

Similar to our situation with Callahan. What to do?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
If Brassard is in the top 6 as a placeholder or stopgap while the team retools, I can live with it.

However, if Brassard is playing in the top 6 and the team has intentions of "contending" as usual, he will not get the job done. He is underwhelming at even strength and has gotten most of his points on the power play. His defensive play is nonexistent and he doesn't have another dimension to his game to compensate for his inconsistency.

The Rangers will have to go outside the organization if they want to field a competitive group of centers next year. Stepan-Brassard-Miller-Boyle/Moore is as mediocre as it gets, and only our 4th line will be capable of winning faceoffs.

I don't disagree with this, but the problem is finding that center. None of the UFA centers are the answer IMO. We need to find that player through trade or through the draft. Brassard isn't ideal, but he is talented. He's better than any of our other options in the short term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad