Speculation: Trade Targets

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I am definitely not for making a big acquisition this off-season but if Dubas gets fired and his replacement makes Nylander available, that would be interesting.

Nylander is 27, 2 yrs away from UFA and will want a huge extension

He doesn't fit Hawks situation nor should Hawks pay the price Leafs will demand in assets for him

He is most appealing and easiest to move trade chip the Leafs have right now. Matthews UFA status next offseason makes him less appealing to teams (+ high cost) and Marner contract is too high to really move + he is 2 yrs away from UFA

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
If Leafs decided to move Matthews the Hawks could act as 3rd party in deal and eat 1/2 of his cost for this coming year for a good asset

Would open market wider for Leafs to move him if they desire. The acquiring team after we retain could then give him extension which wouldn't be issue for Hawks as the 50% would only be for coming year that (His final year on his current deal)

Reactions: x Tame Impala

razor ray

May 8, 2011
Boston doesn't have a 1st round pick, or a 2nd, or a 2024 1st, or a 2024 2nd. Their draft outlook not looking good.
Toronto sends the Boston 1st (Toronto owns via trade) and Murray to Chicago for the 2nd round pick of Ottawa (Chicago owns via trade) is the proposal. Please see the Marzek from last year as this is basically the exact same thing.

I can’t believe how much I have to explain this trade to posters.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Toronto sends the Boston 1st (Toronto owns via trade) and Murray to Chicago for the 2nd round pick of Ottawa (Chicago owns via trade) is the proposal. Please see the Marzek from last year as this is basically the exact same thing.

Murray NTC would probably be issue. He will either want to be on NHL team or bought out to waive it

It's clear Hawks are going to have Soderblom in NHL

So either move Mrazek (Unlikely to have market), buy out Mrazek and role with Murray/Soderblom or buyout Murray after trade

ozzzie19

May 13, 2015
Just for fun, if I take some of the good ideas mentioned here and go a bit hog wild, we could actually make a very interesting team next year while gaining future assets and not impacting our cap in 3 years:

Trade one our mid-second rounders to TOR for Murray and the BOS first rounder

Trade a bag of pucks to EDM for Yamamoto and Foegle. I’m sure mid-round draft picks will change hands.

Trade a bag of pucks to VAN for Boeser, Garland, Myers (who is then bought out) and swap one of our later first rounders with VAN’s #11.

Sign Domi and Compher to 3 year deals.

Kurachev-Bedard-Boeser
Reichel-Domi-Yamamoto
Garland-Compher-Foegle
Johnson-Dickinson-Raddysh

Hawks would still have significant cap flexibility this year, then a ton more opens up the next season and the season after.

thedarkstark

Jun 22, 2012
I really don't think we should be targeting anyone who is on more than a 2 year deal, need room for kids and need to see what we have to see which holes present themselves.

Only exception would be if we can take on somebody like Garland for a high pick, or somebody like OEL for a boatload of high picks. Just have to embrace being really bad for 1 or 2 more years because it's an inevitability regardless of who we bring in.

ozzzie19

May 13, 2015
Nylander is 27, 2 yrs away from UFA and will want a huge extension

He doesn't fit Hawks situation nor should Hawks pay the price Leafs will demand in assets for him

He is most appealing and easiest to move trade chip the Leafs have right now. Matthews UFA status next offseason makes him less appealing to teams (+ high cost) and Marner contract is too high to really move + he is 2 yrs away from UFA
In 2 years we should be in the position of giving out huge money to really good players.
Murray NTC would probably be issue. He will either want to be on NHL team or bought out to waive it

It's clear Hawks are going to have Soderblom in NHL

So either move Mrazek (Unlikely to have market), buy out Mrazek and role with Murray/Soderblom or buyout Murray after trade
just waive Mrazek, problem solved.

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
I am definitely not for making a big acquisition this off-season but if Dubas gets fired and his replacement makes Nylander available, that would be interesting.

Nylander should be one of the core 4 they keep

ozzzie19

May 13, 2015
Can you buy out a player you just traded for? There's not a one year limit?
I believe if you use the first buy out window there is not a restriction. If you use the second window (by being taken to arb), the player you are buying out has to have been on your roster as of the previous seasons TDL. Otherwise you could get into some shenanigans where the previous team pays out the signing bonus and the acquiring team takes the buy out (aka cap circumvention).

Reactions: x Tame Impala

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville

Apologies. Didn't catch it first time looking at it.

To review:

Tor receives:
Ottawa's 2nd round pick

Chi receives:
Boston 1st round pick
Matt Murray

Just like last year just a different goalie.

So, the Hawks take on Murray's contract ($4.6Mx1) to slide up from 2nd round (#44) to 1st round (#28).

Yep - sign me up.

Reactions: razor ray

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
I can’t imagine Liljegren is happy with his spot right now. He was playing well, got demoted, benched and his game went off a cliff. Maybe he requests a trade. I’d take him, he’s better than what he showed in these playoffs and could be cheap depending on what happens in that organization.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
I can’t imagine Liljegren is happy with his spot right now. He was playing well, got demoted, benched and his game went off a cliff. Maybe he requests a trade. I’d take him, he’s better than what he showed in these playoffs and could be cheap depending on what happens in that organization.
I wouldn’t. He is not a 1 and he is weak defensively. If a guy is poor defensively he better be names Potvin or Coffey.

razor ray

May 8, 2011
Apologies. Didn't catch it first time looking at it.

To review:

Tor receives:
Ottawa's 2nd round pick

Chi receives:
Boston 1st round pick
Matt Murray

Just like last year just a different goalie.

So, the Hawks take on Murray's contract ($4.6Mx1) to slide up from 2nd round (#44) to 1st round (#28).

Yep - sign me up.
No worries.

razor ray

May 8, 2011
With the Florida pick now late first round I wonder if Montreal would like to dump Hoffman or Armia to the Blackhawks for a later 2nd in return.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
My hope is the Hawks get two quality 1st's (top 20-25) outside of the Bedard pick. If Davidson can make that happen while keeping either the 44th oa or 35th oa, I will be very pleased with that. I'm picturing something like this;

1st oa Bedard
9-18th oa Wood, Danielson, Edstrom, Yager, Moore, or Barlow
19th oa Musty, Honzek, or Stenberg
35th oa Lardis, Cowen, or Cristall

HM: Carson Rehkopf or Nadeau are wildcards I could see us getting at 19th or 35th.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Two of the dumbest proposal I have heard from the internet:

1. Matthews and TOR first for the #1 pick. Funniest part? TOR fans think this is a fair deal.

2. Blackhawks acquire the #2 pick from Anaheim for Riechel/Del Mastro and change.
Who posted that last one?
That’s terrible for Anaheim

Reactions: Pertti

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
There’s one thread where it’s drysdale and #2 for Bedard which was basically just a humble brag on anaheims d prospects in the trade forum

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad