Speculation: Trade Speculation / Untouchable Players Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sutter16

Aug 17, 2012
Pittsburgh,PA
Matt Moulson would help us blow out teams with bad to average defense. He would put up an assload of regular season points and even score a lot against teams like the Islanders in the playoffs. He wouldn't help any more than Dupuis does against teams with defenses that can slow down Sid though.

Moulson is not the fastest player, by any means but a lot of Sids and Kunitz offense comes from winning puck battles and making short passes in the offensive zone. Moulson from at least, what I've seen goes to the slot a lot and we really could use that

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
We don't know what Sid and Moulson would do against certain playoff defenses. Saying they would suck means as much as saying they would light it up. It's just a guess either way. I know Moulson didn't play well for the Isles last year in the playoffs but it was one playoff series and he had zero playoff experience before that. We really shouldn't judge him too much based on that.

My issue with Dupuis is that he has average to bad hands and isn't a very good or dangerous shooter. Too many glorious chances get flubbed with him. Moulson is much more dangerous as a finisher.

I think the argument is that some people think all he needs is a finisher. Even if said player brings little else to the table.

I'd rather keep Beau with Sid if that's who we're going after. Beau can lay guys out. Has shown glimpses of creating on his own as well.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I think the argument is that some people think all he needs is a finisher. Even if said player brings little else to the table.

I'd rather keep Beau with Sid if that's who we're going after. Beau can lay guys out. Has shown glimpses of creating on his own as well.

I get the argument that Sid needs someone that can create with him. It's a fair argument. Although I think you can also argue he and Kunitz could use a sniper/finisher with them. Moulson is that and Bennett really isn't. Just depends what you believe fits better. Acquiring Moulson at least gives you more options.

I don't think Moulson is likely to be a Pen anyway. The asking price is likely to be a 1st round type of asset and maybe more. I don't think the Pens want to pay that for a rental but I could be wrong.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Guerin wasn't that fast either.

:laugh: It's funny because I remember a lot of people on here assumed Guerin with Crosby wasn't going to work either, but it did, at least for that one playoff run. Of course that was only at the risk of a 3rd round pick or so. Big difference between that and what we'd have to give to get Moulson.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Eh, the Penguins should not be asking any players they acquire at the deadline to switch wings unless they are actually capable of doing it. That didn't work out so well with Iginla.

Michael8771*

There's no guarantee DB would use BB on Sid's line, beyond that who knows if or when BB will be ready to play or if he'll end up sustaining yet again another injury. If the Pen's are seriously contemplating a deep run, they need to upgrade via a trade.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
We don't know what Sid and Moulson would do against certain playoff defenses. Saying they would suck means as much as saying they would light it up. It's just a guess either way. I know Moulson didn't play well for the Isles last year in the playoffs but it was one playoff series and he had zero playoff experience before that. We really shouldn't judge him too much based on that.

My issue with Dupuis is that he has average to bad hands and isn't a very good or dangerous shooter. Too many glorious chances get flubbed with him. Moulson is much more dangerous as a finisher.

and worse at every single other thing. Moulson is completely 1 dimensional. He can finish. He can't carry the puck. He can't work the boards or cycle. He can't play defense. If Sid is slowed down, Moulson is no better than Dupuis at creating offense on his own. If the chances are there, Moulson will produce more. But against the good teams, Dupuis wasn't blowing chances. The chances simply weren't there. That is what I want from Sid's wing, not finished. Kunitz and Sid can finish. We need someone who can create chances more than someone who can finish them. Someone who can carry the puck a bit and work a give and go. That's not Moulson.

I don't care if he's slow. That is not my problem with Moulson. My problem is that for what he'll cost, he simply doesn't provide enough. I would rather get Ott.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I get the argument that Sid needs someone that can create with him. It's a fair argument. Although I think you can also argue he and Kunitz could use a sniper/finisher with them. Moulson is that and Bennett really isn't. Just depends what you believe fits better. Acquiring Moulson at least gives you more options.

I don't think Moulson is likely to be a Pen anyway. The asking price is likely to be a 1st round type of asset and maybe more. I don't think the Pens want to pay that for a rental but I could be wrong.

We need some more speed and size on the wing. I'm looking at guys with those attributes. If they're not scoring, then they're at least forcing defenses to turn, chase pucks and take hits.

I also don't think Jokinen will last long with Geno/Neal in the postseason if we're making a long run. He's too slow and streaky of a scorer. So we're definitely going to need options.

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
There's no guarantee DB would use BB on Sid's line, beyond that who knows if or when BB will be ready to play or if he'll end up sustaining yet again another injury. If the Pen's are seriously contemplating a deep run, they need to upgrade via a trade.

I am personally a big BB fan. I would be upset to watch him leave via trade or DB use him wrong.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Matt Moulson would help us blow out teams with bad to average defense. He would put up an assload of regular season points and even score a lot against teams like the Islanders in the playoffs. He wouldn't help any more than Dupuis does against teams with defenses that can slow down Sid though.

But Moulson can help them with depth.

Kunitz, Crosby, __?__(Trade or keep Gibbons there)
Jokinen/Moulson, Malkin, Neal
Jokinen/Moulson, Sutter, Bennett/Megna
Glass/Bennett, Vitale/Adams, Engelland/Megna

Think depth and what Moulson could bring to the 2nd/3rd line.

Michael8771*

I am personally a big BB fan. I would be upset to watch him leave via trade or DB use him wrong.
I wasn't suggesting him be traded, I'm just saying that it would behoove the pen's to make a trade.

As far as DB misusing him, well, can't help you there.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
But Moulson can help them with depth.

Kunitz, Crosby, __?__(Trade or keep Gibbons there)
Jokinen/Moulson, Malkin, Neal
Jokinen/Moulson, Sutter, Bennett/Megna
Glass/Bennett, Vitale/Adams, Engelland/Megna

Think depth and what Moulson could bring to the 2nd/3rd line.

Moulson would be awful with Geno and Neal. And he would be even worse than that as a 3rd liner.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Moulson would be awful with Geno and Neal. And he would be even worse than that as a 3rd liner.

This is just you speculating, none of us know that for sure. A third line with a goal scorer surely can't hurt, especially one who can score 30 a season. Provided he's in his normal position, that is.

As a depth player where they have zero depth.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Matt Moulson and other completely 1-dimensional scoring wingers are valuable to teams who can't score. He provides absolutely nothing but finishing, and he'd be our 4th or 5th best finisher. He scores a lot of powerplay goals, but he wouldn't be on our top powerplay. He is just a bad fit here. We need to add size, speed and grit. He is the exact opposite of that.

Last edited:

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I'm not saying acquiring someone would be wrong, but I would feel a lot of internal sadness if Bennett missed out on being a top-6 winger because of another ****ing injury when the perfect situation for him to earn that spot for the rest of his career was sitting there for the taking.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Matt Moulson and other completely 1-dimensional scoring wingers are valuable to teams who can't score. He provides absolutely nothing but finishing, and he'd be our 4th or 5th best finisher. He scores a lot of powerplay goals, but he wouldn't be on our top powerplay. He is just a bad fit here.

So our 2nd PP unit couldn't use a boost?

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'm not saying acquiring someone would be wrong, but I would feel a lot of internal sadness if Bennett missed out on being a top-6 winger because of another ****ing injury when the perfect situation for him to earn that spot for the rest of his career was sitting there for the taking.

It will still be sitting there next season. If they trade for Sid's winger I doubt Jokinen is retained.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Would Moulson be better than what we currently have? Of course he would. Would he be as good as other available players? No. Steve Ott would be the guy to target from Buffalo. He can fill either potentially available left wing position better than Moulson. He'd also have the potential of freeing up Sutter as a trade asset if we can re-sign him.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Would Moulson be better than what we currently have? Of course he would. Would he be as good as other available players? No. Steve Ott would be the guy to target from Buffalo. He can fill either potentially available left wing position better than Moulson. He'd also have the potential of freeing up Sutter as a trade asset if we can re-sign him.

I would rather not get a "tweener" in the sense of a 'top-6" tweener. If this makes sense.

I'd rather get a very good 3rd liner or a very good 1st liner. I guess the only exception I see is Kulemin, who I consider to be a very good complement to Malkin and Neal.

McGinn, I consider a good 3rd liner. Ott, the same. I'm okay acquiring one of them.

Moulson, I dunno. He'd be an upgrade, like you say, but I really don't think he'd be able to play on the 3rd line if that's what was asked of him.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
I have watched Stewart and honestly thought he lacked effort. Stewart is a guy though, much like a guy like Buff was in Chicago. He'd disappear, but when the dude was on and feeling it...unstoppable with his size and strength. It's just motivating him and getting him to that point.

Stewart has certainly earned his reputation as a floater. I understand he's changed his training habits over the past couple off-seasons and it's paid dividends, but I'd still approach with caution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad