Trade Speculation in leadup to deadline

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
With the news that Madrigal season is done the White Sox need to make move IMO to fill 2B spot and bring in vet reliever

Pittsburgh would be great target with 2B Adam Frazier and several veteran relief pitchers but the problem is Sox prospect pool is full of ? and meh so other teams could easily outbid them

Sox could potentially make Kopech or Crochett available but that hurts bullpen now and longterm potentially hurts team as both guys are expected to eventually transition into SP rotation

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
With the news that Madrigal season is done the White Sox need to make move IMO to fill 2B spot and bring in vet reliever

Pittsburgh would be great target with 2B Adam Frazier and several veteran relief pitchers but the problem is Sox prospect pool is full of ? and meh so other teams could easily outbid them

Sox could potentially make Kopech or Crochett available but that hurts bullpen now and longterm potentially hurts team as both guys are expected to eventually transition into SP rotation

Don't underestimate the Pirates ability and willingness to take a lesser deal, You can probably get Frazier and Rodriguez for like your 24th and 29th best prospects if you are willing to take Gregory Polanco as well

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Story to Oakland would be nice.
Would you want Nelson Cruz? Someone suggested he would be a good fit in Oakland. Although mentioned the Blue Jays as a possibility as well. More of a suggestion than a rumor.
Jim Bowden suggested Story and Gray to Oakland.

As for Houston, please get a legit reliever. But they don't have much space before thy go over the luxury tax line. Diaz was a possible player to get a team to take back but he's been good this season so it was suggested that they want to keep him now. I'm afraid Click says Baez, Pruitt, and James coming back is their acquisitions. Also a upgrade on Straw would be nice.

Last edited:

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Would you want Nelson Cruz? Someone suggested he would be a good fit in Oakland. Although mentioned the Blue Jays as a possibility as well. More of a suggestion than a rumor.
Jim Bowden suggested Story and Gray to Oakland.

As for Houston, please get a legit reliever. But they don't have much space before thy go over the luxury tax line. Diaz was a possible player to get a team to take back but he's been good this season so it was suggested that they want to keep him now. I'm afraid Click says Baez, Pruitt, and James coming back is their acquisitions. Also a upgrade on Straw would be nice.
They have a few guys who can competently dh. Andrus has been an offensive black hole at short, so Story would vastly improve a position of need. Now if they could get Cruz without giving up a lot, I wouldn’t mind. He can still rake.

Reactions: punk_o_holic

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

A very meh player (We had him when his career began)

But his power would be nice and given injuries the Sox need to do something

As long as they dont give up Vaughn , Kopech or Crochett in deal then it would be ok

TropicalFruitGirl2

A Peachy Hockey Gal!
Feb 23, 2013
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
Twins FO seems to have their heads up their arses.
Not tendering Rosario, who ends up with the rival Indians, and now Escobar, another TC favorite and decent hitter, will end up with the first place rival Sox.

In other news (or in this case NON news), seems the Yankees have acquired light hitting outfielder Tim Locastro from the DeadBacks for a minor league pitcher Keegan Curtis.
Locastro is fast, something the Yanks sorely lack in the outfield or on the base paths, but a guy who is currently hitting .178 is hardly a fix.

LOVE to see the Pinstripers like this! :)

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Not tendering Rosario, who ends up with the rival Indians, and now Escobar, another TC favorite and decent hitter, will end up with the first place rival Sox.

In other news (or in this case NON news), seems the Yankees have acquired light hitting outfielder Tim Locastro from the DeadBacks for a minor league pitcher Keegan Curtis.
Locastro is fast, something the Yanks sorely lack in the outfield or on the base paths, but a guy who is currently hitting .178 is hardly a fix.

Not too disappointed about non-tendering Rosario. They tried to trade him last year and found no takers and this was the next logical step considering the amount of money he was going to command. It does suck that he ended up with a division rival who desperately needed OF help, but with Larnach and Kiriloff proving they are looking more and more major league ready, I'm okay with letting Eddie go and giving those guys opportunities. Our main issue in OF this year has been finding a CF replacement for Buxton for his regular injury stints and Rosario wouldn't be helping there. I do miss his bat, but I'm okay with that decision.

The main issue this season has been juggling Buxton's injuries with the poor pitching performances. The only starter who I think has been performing as expected is Berrios and to a lesser extent, Pineda. All of Maeda, Happ, Dobnak and Shoemaker have disappointed this year. I think you can attribute Maeda's struggles to injuries, but the others have just been downright disappointing. Glad they DFA'd Shoemaker and Happ would be next if we actually had an arm to replace him. The bullpen has been atrocious too outside of Rogers rebounding from last season.

Reactions: TropicalFruitGirl2

TropicalFruitGirl2

A Peachy Hockey Gal!
Feb 23, 2013
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
@Engebretson

Spot on with the ^%$#@ pitching!

I look at this team's offense, and I figure, "Ok, well, they COULD hit a bit more", but then, I see that they actually aren't so bad offensively....their run totals are right up there with division leaders and higher offense teams.

But the pitching, particularly the bullpen, looks like it is right with the BOTTOM FEEDERS!

Perhaps the bullpen would be better if the starters in general could go longer on the mound, but frankly, I've gotten to the point where I expect the Twins bullpen to give back any leads the offense has given them.

I also wish the Twins would STOP taking the Yankees' rejects or leftovers (Phil Hughes, Michael Pineda, J.A. Happ).
I haven't seen that work out very well for Minnesota... Pineda as you said, has been ok, but this team needs more than just "ok" starters.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
@TropicalFruitGirl2

Also imagine Marcus Semien at shortstop instead of Simmons. Not to say that Simmons has been terrible, but I think he's underperformed on offense and defense. At least relative to his salary. I think Simmons was the consolation prize for losing out on Semien, but our offense would be pretty solid with Semien's bat at SS.

I thought trading for Maeda meant we were going to start taking starting pitching more seriously, but we're still just piecing it together with guys on 1 year deals. Letting Odorizzi walk was also mistake to me as he's always been a reliable starter who just ran into bad luck injuries. Need 2-3 of the pitching prospects to develop into real starters (Duran, Balazovic, Canterino) but none of them played at a high level last year and all have had injuries this year.

For the bullpen, losing Wisler and May both hurt. I don't mind Robles as much as he's relatively cheap and seems to be settling down.

I am, however, still convinced that Colome is a double agent for the White Sox (@Blackhawkswincup).

Reactions: TropicalFruitGirl2

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
For about the 20th transaction period in a row the Angels need to go after controllable SP however since they apparently don't give a shit about trying to win we'll probably sell off Kurt Suzuki, Alex Cobb, and Steve Cishek and call it a deadline

Reactions: BSHH

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
Well you sell them off because you are going nowhere and are trying to get a lotto ticket from trading those 3. No reason to keep them to finish 5th

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008

Locastro was acquired because he’s never been thrown out stealing a base. He won’t have a role outside of late game sub/runner.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Escobar talks have either hit stalemate or died

So White Sox are looking at 2B Adam Frazier (Pit) and SS Trevor Story (Col) now according to reports. Story would slide over to 2B if acquired

Not thrilled with idea of Story unless he is reasonably cheap given away from Coors he is vastly different hitter

Would love Frazier but he likely will cost too much

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Apparently Crane told Click he can go over the luxury tax line regarding any trades at the deadline. Hopefully Click isn't hesitant on trading away prospects after losing some of their picks last year and this year. Please give me an elite relief pitcher and a better CF then Straw(although Straw is playing better lately).

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Well you sell them off because you are going nowhere and are trying to get a lotto ticket from trading those 3. No reason to keep them to finish 5th
I have no problem with selling if we buy controllable players in addition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad