Trade Speculation in leadup to deadline

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
You arent going to get controllable players for those pieces though; so yes you may want that but it isnt a realistic want. What you get for those players are 19-21 year old Low A/rookie league lotto tickets.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
At this point i'm convinced the way the NL west is operating is the moment it comes out the Padres are in on someone the Dodgers immediately go "Oh yeah? Well f*** you too we're in on him too"

Although the constant reports that they're in on starting pitching also makes sense given it looks like Bauer is done

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
No idea about the prospects coming back but Holmes has been mostly garbage for the Pirates, so this one is a head scratcher as to what the Yankees would want with him

This is a true head-scratcher. I'm not going to pretend that I've exactly watched much of any baseball these past few years, but Holmes ain't exactly a fresh name. Was one of the bonus babies in the Bucs 2011 draft (alongside Cole, Bell, & Glasnow). After that he pretty much followed the promising young arm cliché of requiring Tommy John Surgery and never being able to keep runners off the bases. Some ugly stat lines in there. Not even as if he put it together this year...numbers firmly in waiver claim/cash considerations territory as a 28 year-old. Basically a lower ceiling Kyle Crick...but without flashing that promise as much and coming from the same team that put Crick on release waivers on Sunday.

I know nothing about the guys the Yankees sent to Pittsburgh, I can only assume there's deep flaws there somewhere, but Holmes returning anything is just weird. I'm not used to the Pirates being on this side of someone buying magic beans. If ever a player were meant to be dealt for 'cash considerations,' it'd be a 28 year-old in his 11th season with one organization having a replacement-level season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad