Proposal: Trade/sign for a LW and move Raymond down?

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
Yeah, he's playing well, but does it not help the team if he's put in a better position to succeed?

Larks and Cat look like they'll excel regardless of who the 3rd guys is, so why not upgrade the 2nd scoring line.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Its one of those situations where I am fine with it for now because he has played well and we are scoring. If the team starts to hit a skid though, moving Ray to the 2nd line and putting Ras up to the 1st would probably be my first move.

Trading for a middling winger I don't think is needed. If we have another DBC situation then I think you should always look to improve.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I'm more interested in getting Raymond on the top PP unit, where he belongs.

And yes, I realize PP1 has played well so far this year, so I understand why he isn't there yet, but I just think the PP is where Raymond will thrive, and should be on the top unit.

I don't like the idea to "shelter his minutes in a contract year to lower production and save $ on the contract", but the more I think about it, the more ok I become with the idea. Raymond plays PP2 all year, and gets 50 points, rather than 65+ points on PP1, and suddenly he's not "worth" 7+ million on an extension.

People need to remember Raymond is still young, and he does a lot of things well on the ice.

Reactions: Dtybur

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007

And yes, I realize PP1 has played well so far this year, so I understand why he isn't there yet, but I just think the PP is where Raymond will thrive, and should be on the top unit.

I don't like the idea to "shelter his minutes in a contract year to lower production and save $ on the contract", but the more I think about it, the more ok I become with the idea. Raymond plays PP2 all year, and gets 50 points, rather than 65+ points on PP1, and suddenly he's not "worth" 7+ million on an extension.

People need to remember Raymond is still young, and he does a lot of things well on the ice.
PP unit he belongs?? The same PP that is like 46%. Lalonde would be crazy to change anything in terms of the PP

Reactions: Gniwder
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
PP unit he belongs?? The same PP that is like 46%. Lalonde would be crazy to change anything in terms of the PP
So you didn't read the part of my post that says, and I directly quote,

"And yes, I realize PP1 has played well so far this year, so I understand why he isn't there yet".

Reading the entire post is important.

Reactions: Sparty

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012

idk, PP2 isn't going to be bad when you have a rifler like sprong to pass it too. Then people have to respect his shooting ability, leaving raymond open. All not to mention that Walman can still side step you a drive to the net or let a clapper go.

We're number one for a reason!

Its one of those situations where I am fine with it for now because he has played well and we are scoring. If the team starts to hit a skid though, moving Ray to the 2nd line and putting Ras up to the 1st would probably be my first move.

Trading for a middling winger I don't think is needed. If we have another DBC situation then I think you should always look to improve.
I'd rather have sprong up on the first if there is a change. Not sure about ras right now because he doesn't look like the same hunger kid from mid last year. Maybe it's just recency bias from the past two games (minus his goal) idk.

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
Debrincat-Larkin-Raymond is doing fine. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

The only sort of upgrade I might suggest is something doesn't disrupt an already-effective line or unit, but improves depth, and does not cost assets.

We're not so desperate for anything that we have to trade assets. I suppose if some team wanted to dump a good goalie we might want to trade for that, but Reimer so far has a 1.000 save percentage so...maybe I'd even nix that. And we surely don't need Patrick Kane with all of the drama and line-shuffling that would entail.

What if we sign the aging Zach Parise for one year? If we're going to keep the Copp/Compher line together (and they do seem to have chemistry oddly enough), Parise at 3C and Veleno at 4C (or flip them, I don't care) seems like an upgrade. Czarnik has been good, but even an ancient Parise might be a little better.

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
WTH does this mean?

They both sound similar afoot, but are completely different animals with a huge gap in speed and strength? :huh:

I'm trying here...

Not sure what these people complaining about Raymond are seeing. He’s come out like a man possessed this year, he’s all over the ice every shift and has been a huge contributor to Debrincat’s hot start.

It's not a complaint, just an idea to better put him in a position to succeed based on his strengths...

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

He's only 21-years-old. I think people forget because we've been talking about him constantly for a few years but the only players that offensively peak this early are the generational stars.

Given his early talent and development, there's hope Raymond can't become an important cog and driver in playoff scenarios ala Jonathan Marchessault.

It's not just about finding talented players but the kinds of players that do all the little things right in 3 zones. Lucas Raymond was drafted to be one of those guys and he's had an encouraging start to his NHL career on a very incomplete Wings team.

Raymond might have looked overwhelmed last year against top lines but who didn't?

I can't stress enough how much easier life gets for every player when the talent around them improves. It's like a flywheel building momentum. We're finally seeing a bit of that with the Wings so I get the ambition to keep tinkering but Raymond is still developing and I think we're all going to be very happy with the end result.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
It's an old saw from medical school originally but is used in any field involving diagnosis or predictive analysis (economics, hockey) -- when you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras. The most obvious solution is often the right one.

Yeah but what you don't understand is that I read a lot of Zoobooks in the dentist's lobby as a kid, so I'm pretty good at animals.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
What if we sign the aging Zach Parise for one year?
"Parise has gone on record stating that his decision comes down to returning to the Islanders or retiring."

Kane on the other hand is rumored to be interested in playing with Debrincat. I really don't think there will be any locker room issues with Kane, Larkin is firmly established as team captain. If Kane (or any other player for that matter) becomes a problem, he'll get Vrana'ed by Lalonde pretty quickly.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Yeah, he's playing well, but does it not help the team if he's put in a better position to succeed?

Larks and Cat look like they'll excel regardless of who the 3rd guys is, so why not upgrade the 2nd scoring line.
I don't think any of the other wingers skate well enough to keep up with those 2. You'll wind up in a similar situation as Kubalik or Zadina where they're crossing the blue line as Larkin scores, lol. Zadina was always hilariously behind the play.

I'm hoping Bert sucks it up in Toronto. Get Bert at $1M retained for future considerations. Toronto gets cap relief for TDL acquisition. Or maybe send Holl back.

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
I don't think any of the other wingers skate well enough to keep up with those 2. You'll wind up in a similar situation as Kubalik or Zadina where they're crossing the blue line as Larkin scores, lol. Zadina was always hilariously behind the play.

I'm hoping Bert sucks it up in Toronto. Get Bert at $1M retained for future considerations. Toronto gets cap relief for TDL acquisition. Or maybe send Holl back.

Well, after seeing Raymond in the last 2 games, my take was totally WRONG, lol.

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
I think having Larkin and Cat playing with him might help him have that breakout year. He's looked good so far this year and hopefully Lalonde keeps him up there.

MabusIncarnate

May 20, 2013
Tennessee
I keep forgetting Raymond is only 21 also, he's got a few years to grow and develop, this is the ideal situation for him to be in right now. Keep him with the top guys, let him gain some confidence, it's a prime chance for him to thrive while the team is scoring and winning.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Originally didn't think ray/cat/lark would be a good line because the bigger lineups could outmuscle them. Never questioned the possible point production from the three but thought it would a lot tougher.

Swing and a miss on that take yikes.

Raymond is showing to be a very good passer and is showing more and more his IQ to get the puck into places. He isn't making a mistake when the easiest choice to make is the best choice, just does the right thing. He has been shooting it pretty well, hasn't deferred as much as he did the first or second game(?) and is trying to find that shooting lane.

I think we are going to see a scoring run with him pretty soon. Probably in the realm of like 6 goals in 4 games and then go back to regular production then again and again. If you have to drop him down to line 2 if we sign Kane for them to play with each other, I think it could be a poor man's DBC/Kane chemistry-like situation and for that I am all in on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad