Proposal: Trade/sign for a LW and move Raymond down?

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
I can't help but think that Raymond needs his own line to drive. He needs the puck, and he isn't going to get it with Larkin and Cat. Signing Kane would be the obvious answer, but who would you try to trade for, if you agree?

Reactions: Realgud

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don’t think Raymond needs “his own line”, I don’t think there is any issue with him playing on the top line.

I think a number of players could work as the 3rd piece on that line with Larkin/DeBrincat, so I don’t think a trade is necessary.

Also I’m pretty sure DeBrincat plays LW, he prefers his off wing.

Was actually thinking about this yesterday. Garland is available. His analytics are actually pretty good. Problem is he has two seasons left after this one plus VAN wants to shed salary and his cap hit is 4,9mil. So the trade options for us are pretty limited. Like the player but I don’t like the idea of jamming up any of our youngsters for three more years.

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
He was never that good as this board pictures him to be. He was quite fast with good shot but otherwise nothing special. That was fine for a first line in juniors but apparently not enough in the NHL.

Reactions: Cake Eater

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don’t think Raymond needs “his own line”, I don’t think there is any issue with him playing on the top line.

I think a number of players could work as the 3rd piece on that line with Larkin/DeBrincat, so I don’t think a trade is necessary.

Also I’m pretty sure DeBrincat plays LW, he prefers his off wing.
Ok I’ll amend slightly what I said here….

Just saw that Ruff benched Meier and he’s having a little rocky start to this year. If we could get someone like that who is a clear upgrade to 90% of our forwards and would fit perfectly on a line with Larkin/DeBrincat, maybe it would be worthwhile to explore.

But it would have to meet that 2 criteria:
1) be a clear upgrade to the majority of forwards we have
2) be a good fit play style/chemistry wise

And then you would have to consider the cost of acquiring as well.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
He'll be fine. At some point it has to be on the player. Last year it was his linemates are too bad and now we're saying his linemates are too good? Also, we're four games in and he's scored, it's not like he's super snake bit.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Ok I’ll amend slightly what I said here….

Just saw that Ruff benched Meier and he’s having a little rocky start to this year. If we could get someone like that who is a clear upgrade to 90% of our forwards and would fit perfectly on a line with Larkin/DeBrincat, maybe it would be worthwhile to explore.

But it would have to meet that 2 criteria:
1) be a clear upgrade to the majority of forwards we have
2) be a good fit play style/chemistry wise

And then you would have to consider the cost of acquiring as well.
I really really wanted Meier to lose interest in New Jersey instead of extending. It's still incredibly early, but it never occurred to me that New Jersey might sour on him instead.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I am always looking to improve the top six forward group. Moving Raymond down a line is not, however, the impetus for doing so.

He may have the puck less, but I think his overall offensive opportunities won't drop given that line will have the puck more in the offensive zone for longer periods of time with the addition of DeBrincat. Increased talent lifts all boats.

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
He'll be fine. At some point it has to be on the player. Last year it was his linemates are too bad and now we're saying his linemates are too good? Also, we're four games in and he's scored, it's not like he's super snake bit.

Not saying he's a bad player, he is just at his best when he has the puck and seems less effective away from it. He just seems lost without it.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I really really wanted Meier to lose interest in New Jersey instead of extending. It's still incredibly early, but it never occurred to me that New Jersey might sour on him instead.

Nothing like investing for the max term on a player you barely know. It's early but all these 8 year deals in the league that everyone raves about... lots are going to be headache well before half life IMO.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I just don't love him as a fit for that line, but I don't think we need to trade for someone. In the past he played the DBC role, and now I feel like he has been put more into the board/ piano puller roll. He hasn't been bad in it, but I feel like that under uses his shot and playmaking abilities. I would really like to see them try Ras on that line, who is a monster along the boards and around the net. He would compliment Larks and DBC more. Plus that gives them a backup center if Larkin gets kicked out of the dot.

DBC- Larkin- Ras
Fabbri/Sprong/Copp- Compher- Ray

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
He's a great fit on the first line imo. Fits like a glove. First line was just a little too impatient yesterday

Only reason I'd put him on another line is for depth reasons

Reactions: Dtybur

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Even though a forward line has 3 people on it, there is a reason that it seems to be only 2 of them being the top contributors historically.

Just look at recent dynamic duos in the NHL

Backstrom/Ovechkin
Kane/DeBrincat
Gaudreau/Tkachuk
McDavid/Draisaitl
Point/Kucherov
Crosby/Guentzel
Mackinnon/Rantanen
Zetterberg/Datsyuk
Benn/Seguin
Stutzle/Tkachuk

The third guy on these lines are pretty good usually but there's not often enough puck to go around for their scoring to keep up with the big two.

What would do Raymond some good would be a line reshuffle. He's been solid as the puck chaser and cornerman on his line with DBC, but I think it would be more ideal to have someone grittier on that top line while Raymond and Compher form a strong 2nd line.

Rasmussen - Larkin - DBC
Sprong - Compher - Raymond
Copp - Veleno - Perron
Kostin - Czarnik (or someone else) - Fischer (or anyone else)

Sprong - Compher - Raymond gives the line a shooter, a solid playmaker, and a solid defensive center.

Ideally, this is what I'd like to see whenever Jonny Burgers comes up.

Rasmussen - Larkin - DBC
Berggren - Compher - Raymond
Copp - Veleno - Sprong
Kostin - ZAR/Czarnik - Perron

Berggren already has great chemistry with Raymond and is more of a playmaker so Raymond can be a finisher. And Compher's defense is really strong.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
You all realize that if he doesn't post a 60+ point season his 2nd deal won't be as bad cap wise correct? He won't be super cheap but if say a 4-5 year deal probably around only like 5 to 5.5.

"Unleashing" Raymond per say won't likely happen till next year after he is locked into a team friendly deal.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
You all realize that if he doesn't post a 60+ point season his 2nd deal won't be as bad cap wise correct? He won't be super cheap but if say a 4-5 year deal probably around only like 5 to 5.5.

"Unleashing" Raymond per say won't likely happen till next year after he is locked into a team friendly deal.
Or he might just need another year to find his stride. Sometimes those hoofbeats are horses instead of zebras.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Or he might just need another year to find his stride. Sometimes those hoofbeats are horses instead of zebras.

Possibly yes, I just think people should be careful of what they wish for being disappointed that he isn't ppg. If he goes 21-25d 30ish assists and good 2 way play we won't have to pay him out the nose.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
Sometimes I wish hockey was more baseball. 4 games in, 3 of them wins, with the player in question getting a goal and points and contributing in other ways, on a team that has improved roster and playmaking year-on-year for the last 3 years, and some of us are ready to jump out of a perfectly good airplane.

If it were baseball...

"Coach."
"Yeah."
"McHalaguindallamos is really struggling out there."
"Hm."
"42 at bats in the first 20 games and he's only got 1 homer and 4 RBI. Can't get on base to save his life."
"Yup."
"No walks. Ain't drawn a single walk."
"Well, 162 games, Bob."
"He's just fanning the field in the box, Al."
"Ayy-yup."
"He dropped 2 catches against the Yankees."
"He sure did."
"He dropped his pants during that ESPN interview though."
"No one watches the morning show - I wouldn't worry about it."
"He's been fingered as the driver in 3 bank heists, and I saw him tossing a bloody hammer into his locker the other day."
"Boy's got a great arm from center though."
"But he's the shortstop, Al, for crissake."
"Seems you might be a little mad that it was your hammer, Bob."
"It's an Estwing!"
"140 games left for him to clean it off, relax."
"He'll mar the darned finish!"
"Yepper. Let's keep an eye on him and see how he does with the whole heroin thing. Plenty of time."
"Yeah, I guess you're right. Plenty of time."

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Hes looked good in all 4 games and created chances with his linemates. No clue why we are complaining here. He looks noticeably better than last year.
Because Copp is outscoring him by 2:1 ratio (points) or 3:1 if you look at goals. If you can't outscore Copp then you must suck, lol.

(In other words, it's stats watching.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad