Confirmed with Link: TRADE!!: Sharp & Johns for Garbutt & Daley

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
It was just a thought. I'd kind of like to see Eakin on the wing of the 2nd line next to a guy like Spezza. He's put up like 40 points on a 3rd line with Roussel and Garbutt. Think of what he could do on a 2nd line with Spezza.

Eakin just seems like the type of player not really suited for a definite 2nd or 3rd line duties, but a player that shifts around the lineup as a glue-guy to maybe fix a line or two for a certain amount of time.

In a world where we had a 3C, that would be great. As it is, we've got a lineup filled out in permanent marker because a bunch of guys are capable of only one position.

PrairieDayz

Mar 22, 2015
Dallas
Patrick Sharp is a class act...he took out a full page ad in the Chicago Trib Sports Page thanking the Hawks, Chicago Organization and fans for his fabulous 10 years wearing the IndianHead sweater...the preseason at the UC in Chicago should be one hell of a send off....He'll bring a great winning tradition to the Stars'....reuping my season tickets now.....Here's to you Sharpie....

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
Patrick Sharp is a class act...he took out a full page ad in the Chicago Trib Sports Page thanking the Hawks, Chicago Organization and fans for his fabulous 10 years wearing the IndianHead sweater...the preseason at the UC in Chicago should be one hell of a send off....He'll bring a great winning tradition to the Stars'....reuping my season tickets now.....Here's to you Sharpie....

love to hear that. nill seems committed to bringing in the right kind of people in addition to the right kind of player. organizational culture is definitely a key to long term success. shipping out garbutt dovetails perfectly with that mindset.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I think he's gonna have a pretty huge impact off the ice, really seems like a wonderful guy and he knows what it takes to win - something I think our young guys could really benefit from, learning just how to be a pro and how to go all the way.

AK87

Hall of Famer
Nov 8, 2012
Do as you wanna
Couldnt believe this trade when it popped up on my phone. Awesome news. I also think Oleksiak is gonzo to somewhere like Edmonton.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I think trading Oleksiak this summer would be a mistake as it stands.

Could potentially increase in value or show he's worth keeping around if we wait until the season starts.

LordHelmet

May 19, 2004
Twin Cities
Just to go on the record here. I'm thrilled with the trade. Kudos to Nill for his patience. Kudos to Gaglardi for his willingness to spend the money on the team.

I like the players we got. I've always liked Hossa and Sharp alot. I hope that Sharp embraces & fits in with the Stars as much as he did with the Hawks. He seems like a great role model for Benn & Seguin in terms of two-way play and playoff excellence.

I'm happy for Daley to get to go to a good team in Chicago. I can't stand the Hawks, but if we have to endure their winning another cup any time soon, it won't be quite as bad with Daley there.

I also predict that Daley will flourish in red. Maybe even to the point of making some fans or pundits question the trade as they do with Neal & Niskanen (which I think is foolish, BTW).

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
CJ0JFmcUcAAe33O.jpg

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site

I think that both Oleksiak and Johns can make this team...with Joki as 7th dman.

I would love to see Jordie Benn put on waivers at that point. But that might be wishful thinking.

These are pairings I want to see:
Nemeth - Klingberg
Goligoski - Johns
Oleksiak - Demers
Joki

This way you have some size/physicality and puck-movement on each pair. You also have some experience on each pair.

jhr1986

Jul 2, 2012
DFWish
Jordie is gonna be here a while I think. Not that he deserves it, though he would be a perfectly fine 7th dman. Unfortunately I think he will be a regular for some time. Next excuse is going to be that the stars can't ice a team with 4 rookie D men.

Dundalis

Dec 28, 2003
It was just a thought. I'd kind of like to see Eakin on the wing of the 2nd line next to a guy like Spezza. He's put up like 40 points on a 3rd line with Roussel and Garbutt. Think of what he could do on a 2nd line with Spezza.

Eakin just seems like the type of player not really suited for a definite 2nd or 3rd line duties, but a player that shifts around the lineup as a glue-guy to maybe fix a line or two for a certain amount of time.
I want Ritchie playing in the top 6. At this point it's Hemsky he has to beat out, but really that's where he should be for his development.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Agree, but he had his chance with Benn and Seguin and didn't really keep up, so it would probably be second line, or added to the third to replace Garbutt, making a great top 9 they are looking for. Of course, he can easily scale up the lineup, too.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I don't mind Ritchie working his way into the top six, rather than have it given to him. And, from the sounds of it, they are looking for a good top 9, so its not that much of a face slap, even to earn space on that line over older guys.

Timani

Nill said they wouldn't do the trade without Stephen Johns in the deal.

Tough to give up Trevor...loves his skating, leadership and the way he plays.

Loves the competition going into training camp...wants the guys to earn spots.

Flexibility is what allowed them to make these deals with Horcoff and Gonchar deals lined up specifically to two-year deals.

Travel in the West is tough and you need depth, especially in goal.

Still talking to guys and teams as of this interview.

Cap teams still looking to move salary.

2015-2016 is time to win...has ownership's backing to make these money moves.

Next 7 years look very bright.

Sharp still a Top 6 Forward and leader...excited to have him help the kids.

Enjoyed having Tony Romo speak to the kids at the Developmental Camp, where he talked about the commitment to learning and continued development. Tony didn't play full time football until he was 17, so needed to work hard to catch up.

Looking to have Val with Spezza perhaps...they communicate well.

Feels bad for Mavs after DeAndre Jordan debacle.

And that's a wrap.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
Nill said they wouldn't do the trade without Stephen Johns in the deal.

Tough to give up Trevor...loves his skating, leadership and the way he plays.

Loves the competition going into training camp...wants the guys to earn spots.

Flexibility is what allowed them to make these deals with Horcoff and Gonchar deals lined up specifically to two-year deals.

Travel in the West is tough and you need depth, especially in goal.

Still talking to guys and teams as of this interview.

Cap teams still looking to move salary.

2015-2016 is time to win...has ownership's backing to make these money moves.

Next 7 years look very bright.

Sharp still a Top 6 Forward and leader...excited to have him help the kids.

Enjoyed having Tony Romo speak to the kids at the Developmental Camp, where he talked about the commitment to learning and continued development. Tony didn't play full time football until he was 17, so needed to work hard to catch up.

Looking to have Val with Spezza perhaps...they communicate well.

Feels bad for Mavs after DeAndre Jordan debacle.

And that's a wrap.

Those were "meh!" deals at best and no amount of spin-doctoring can change that. Horcoff turned out to be useful in the playoffs but was still an expensive cap-hit. All Gonchar managed to become was a $5M/year translator for Val and was an ill-advised signing all together..

Timani

Those were "meh!" deals at best and no amount of spin-doctoring can change that. Horcoff turned out to be useful in the playoffs but was still an expensive cap-hit. All Gonchar managed to become was a $5M/year translator for Val and was an ill-advised signing all together..

An expensive cap hit that didn't matter because of the cap room the team had. Nill also doesn't hide the fact that he values the room and the people he puts in it. He wants winners and guys with good attitudes, so who am I to say he **** up.

Gonchar was bad for sure, but he did help Val...that could have long-term implications, so I'm fine with it. Nill is great, but he's not perfect. I wouldn't get bent out of shape about it though since those are really ancillary signings to the meat of his work, like getting Seguin, Spezza and his draftees.

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
An expensive cap hit that didn't matter because of the cap room the team had. Nill also doesn't hide the fact that he values the room and the people he puts in it. He wants winners and guys with good attitudes, so who am I to say he **** up.

Gonchar was bad for sure, but he did help Val...that could have long-term implications, so I'm fine with it. Nill is great, but he's not perfect. I wouldn't get bent out of shape about it though since those are really ancillary signings to the meat of his work, like getting Seguin, Spezza and his draftees.

You're right, Gonchar is said to have been a big help in bringing Nichushkin on board and I wouldn't be completely surprised if he had some good things to say to Spezza as well.

As for Horcoff, he provided the leadership the Stars wanted, he played really well down the stretch last year and I think Nill would have had him back if he accepted the role the Stars wanted him to play going forward. If I recall, his cap hit was also higher than his salary, which was one of the benefits at the time when the Stars were closer to the floor than the ceiling. I liked that deal a lot.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014

Nope...just my $0.02 that all the turd shining doesn't make the turd look any better. Of course, I understand Nill has to spout all kinds of diplomatic tropes, but I don't have to :P.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad