Proposal: Trade Rumours & Proposals Thread: Connor's back, do we make a move?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I don't know guys. Perhaps I am wrong and you are all right. The thing is, Columbus fans do not seem to want to do this deal either. It's almost as if both teams overvalue their players significantly.

The overall opinion on the main boards is that it is either a fair deal or Columbus would have a hard time accepting it.

Perhaps if Murray and Klefbom would removed from the deal, would it be easier to swallow?

Chychrun, Jenner, Rychel

for Matthews/Laine, RNH

Personally I don't know. Chychrun can really become a stud #1 and Jenner fills a far more important role on this team than RNH does. Rychel is looking to have turned a corner as well.

edit: Maybe if we were to trade with another team. Matthews/Laine + RNH for let's say OEL + Downie.

If the Columbus fans would take Chychrun, Jenner and Rychel over Matthews and RNH then they are out of their minds. Plain and simple. Matthews has probably a better than 50-50 chance to be the best player their franchise ever had. Perhaps by a lot. At the same age he is way ahead of Johansen for example. It would surprise me if he is not better than Nash.

Frankly Matthews for Chychrun and Jenner would be a big win for Columbus.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Stauffer seems rather convinced Darnell is not getting sent down.

Maybe there is something else brewing rather than a few demotions to the AHL.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
If the Columbus fans would take Chychrun, Jenner and Rychel over Matthews and RNH then they are out of their minds. Plain and simple. Matthews has probably a better than 50-50 chance to be the best player their franchise ever had. Perhaps by a lot. At the same age he is way ahead of Johansen for example. It would surprise me if he is not better than Nash.

Frankly Matthews for Chychrun and Jenner would be a big win for Columbus.

Absolutely. I wouldn't touch that deal with a ten foot pole.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

This team doesn't have the necessary depth to send Darnell down to the AHL.

jeg

Jun 16, 2015

we can hope... been waiting for a good Oiler trade for some time

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Sekera - Fayne
Reinhart - Schultz
Clendening - Gryba

....we sorta do, but it's not what you'd consider good depth.

Having Reinhart here over Nurse makes little sense.

One of those three RHD need to be moved ASAP.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Sekera - Fayne
Reinhart - Schultz
Clendening - Gryba

Three of those three RHD need to be moved ASAP.

fixed

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Sekera - Fayne
Reinhart - Schultz
Clendening - Gryba

One of those three RHD need to be moved ASAP.

That defensive lineup just made me dry heave a little bit.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond

Not right now they don't, but once Klefbom returns maybe the Oilers revisit sending Nurse down.

Regardless, I could see Nurse heading down to the Condors for their playoff run once the Oilers run out of playoff drive runway.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Love the idea however but your asking for 4 top defencemen in the lineup and we would need to sacrifice to do so. Hamonic is on a honey of a deal but Vatanen will cost $$$.

Klefbom Hamonic (8M)
Nurse Sekera (6.5M)
Davidson Vatanen (7M) Both RFA's. Generous estimates at 2M and 5M respectively.

So around 20-22 million depending on the RFA deals. If Davidson and Vatanen are signed to 4-6 year deals the only increase in salary will be on Nurse's 2nd contract. Very affordable group with a ton of potential and room for growth.

As for the cost to acquire both players, I would be fine sacrificing all of RNH, Eberle, and Yak to make it happen. The Oilers would probably get a forward back in that scenario too. A top 5 draft pick who can step right into a 3rd line role, as well as a bunch of UFA forwards who fit the Oilers needs, will not just replace those 3, it make the forward group more productive overall.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

True, but as an aside he figures Davidson will likely be activated for the Thursday game in Ottawa as well.

So that would put them with 8 d-men on the roster.

Sekera-Schultz-Nurse-Gryba-Reinhart-new guy-Davidson-Fayne

Something has to give.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
I don't think drafting Chychrun at 1-2 is ideal, considering Matthews and Laine and Puljujarvi hold more value than him.

I really don't like the idea of drafting one of these forwards and trading RNH for one defenceman. Like I always say, compare out team to every stanley cup winning team in the past 30 years or more. All of those teams sans Carolina had 1-2 VERY good defenceman. All stars, or one like Doughty who is the best D on the planet in many peoples eyes.

It has been shown time and time again that to win in the NHL you need 1-2 very good centres, 1-2 very good defenceman, and you insulate those players with role players who can chip in offensively but ultimately are there to work their ***** off and get the puck to your stars.

We have Draisaitl, McDavid, Hall. That is more skill in a lineup than you'll find in Los Angeles. That rivals the skill in the lineup of Chicago. We do not need RNH, Eberle, and especially not Matthews or Laine.

What we need is defenceman and we should be dealing away these picks for highly regarded defenceman and the right kinds of wingers.

No team in the NHL has ever won with such an unbalanced group, and I doubt we would be the first. It is idiotic to try and build a team like how some of you are suggesting. We will never get a fair deal on a defenceman. We will always have to overpay.
You are seriously overrating Murray and underrating Klefbom.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
True, but as an aside he figures Davidson will likely be activated for the Thursday game in Ottawa as well.

So that would put them with 8 d-men on the roster.

Sekera-Schultz-Nurse-Gryba-Reinhart-new guy-Davidson-Fayne

Something has to give.

I'm sitting here looking at a bottle of Scotch just waiting for the Schultz trade. I will celebrate harder than if I just hit a bonus on my entry level deal in a meaningless game at the end of the year when the word comes down.

jeg

Jun 16, 2015
Klefbom Hamonic (8M)
Nurse Sekera (6.5M)
Davidson Vatanen (7M) Both RFA's. Generous estimates at 2M and 5M respectively.

So around 20-22 million depending on the RFA deals. If Davidson and Vatanen are signed to 4-6 year deals the only increase in salary will be on Nurse's 2nd contract. Very affordable group with a ton of potential and room for growth.

As for the cost to acquire both players, I would be fine sacrificing all of RNH, Eberle, and Yak to make it happen. The Oilers would probably get a forward back in that scenario too. A top 5 draft pick who can step right into a 3rd line role, as well as a bunch of UFA forwards who fit the Oilers needs, will not just replace those 3, it make the forward group more productive overall.

I think that leaves a bigger hole up front then you think and UFA's are never a sure thing. We are, without RNH hurting for a 3C. Without Yak and Eberle we literally have no RW. We do not have the depth to make those moves unfortunately
Hall Dra XXx
Pou Mcd XXX.
Kass XXX Pakar
Hend Let Juajar
Big pieces missing. We can move them but not strictly for D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad