Proposal: Trade Rumours & Proposals Thread: Connor's back, do we make a move?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
How many defencemen do you need? Stop looking for short cuts and develop Chychrun, Nurse, and Klefbom, these are all 1st round players in that case. Hell you have Reinhart on top of that for good measure.

Develop your damn core. It's what basically every other team does.

Having McDavid, Matthews, Draisaitl if it comes to that would be a massive blessing as a franchise it's time to stop complaining, there is more than ample talent there.

Finally someone said it i hate hearing things like salary cap, short time to win, and everything that comes along with as you said short cuts.

Fully established d-man need to be developed regardless of where there on your team.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Well then we better pray Klefbom/Nurse somehow develop into something they've never been projected to be, or we will be lacking a #1 D and McDavid will be commanding 14 mil a year, Hall's contract will be done, and Draisaitl will be getting a huge raise.

Both Klefbom and Nurse are well on their way to being Hamonic tier d-men and Klefbom is locked in long deal on a good deal.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Well then we better pray Klefbom/Nurse somehow develop into something they've never been projected to be, or we will be lacking a #1 D and McDavid will be commanding 14 mil a year, Hall's contract will be done, and Draisaitl will be getting a huge raise.

Nurse was projected as a #1D and Klefbom was rated as biggest potential draft day steal by Red Line. Hes already putting up tremendous numbers for a 2nd year pro playing toughest minutes.Klefboms analytics compared to Rielly, Lindholm, Ekblad etc arent that far off, almost identical. Ive never heard anyone Klefbom had a limited ceiling. He was always a wildcard with incredible tools, just a matter of putting them together. And hes doing just that

Chara, Keith and Subban werent projected top pairing guys either. D are funy. Klefbom is trending up in a very good way

Dealing Klefbom for even Murray is at best a even trade. Klefbom is unquestionably better right now and Murray is the definition of a limited upside guy, and has been since draft day. Guy has zero offensive skills. He is a Smid clone with better skating

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Schultz, Reinhart, prospect/mid round pick for Bogosian

Bogosian and Eberle for Hamonic and Anders Lee

Yakupov, 2017 1st for Vatanen and ANA 2017 3rd

Wadewilson

Jun 27, 2006
Canada
Id do all those deals. Although not sure NYI would had Nielsen. Maybe drop Davidson + Neilsen. Not sure Schultz gets a 2nd. Maybe Schultz for Hartnell? Toss him in Khairas spot

I am a big Hartnell fan, but I would rather shed Schutlz Salary.

My plan was to allow some room for re-signings as well. Franz this year, Shattenkirk next year, Then you are probably dropping RNH for some depth and space the next.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
i posted it on the mains but what about a reinhart-esque trade for Derrick Pouliot?

:edmonton
Eric Fehr
Derrick Pouliot

:pens
Justin Schultz
1st round pick (likely picking 5-10)

edit; ignore this thread topic too inappropriate for discussion.

Last edited:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I am a big Hartnell fan, but I would rather shed Schutlz Salary.

My plan was to allow some room for re-signings as well. Franz this year, Shattenkirk next year, Then you are probably dropping RNH for some depth and space the next.

Ah yeah I see. Id dump Schultz too, even for a 4th or something My think was you get Hartnell for a year or 2 then move him for a 7th in 2 years. Get 2 years out of him as a 3rd line guy providing depth

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
It was mentioned earlier in the thread that Klinkhammer can go down without waivers. That would seem to make some sense.

I figured it would have been touched on already. A week vacay with limited internet makes keeping current difficult. :D

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Ah yeah I see. Id dump Schultz too, even for a 4th or something My think was you get Hartnell for a year or 2 then move him for a 7th in 2 years. Get 2 years out of him as a 3rd line guy providing depth

Hartnell's got one hell of an ugly contract, but he's a guy you can plug into the lineup anywhere. He also immediately makes Benoit Pouliot a movable asset. I don't think you can add Hartnell without moving out a guy like Fayne. Schultz wouldn't be effective in countering the cap-hit.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Nurse was projected as a #1D and Klefbom was rated as biggest potential draft day steal by Red Line. Hes already putting up tremendous numbers for a 2nd year pro playing toughest minutes.Klefboms analytics compared to Rielly, Lindholm, Ekblad etc arent that far off, almost identical. Ive never heard anyone Klefbom had a limited ceiling. He was always a wildcard with incredible tools, just a matter of putting them together. And hes doing just that

Chara, Keith and Subban werent projected top pairing guys either. D are funy. Klefbom is trending up in a very good way

Dealing Klefbom for even Murray is at best a even trade. Klefbom is unquestionably better right now and Murray is the definition of a limited upside guy, and has been since draft day. Guy has zero offensive skills. He is a Smid clone with better skating

I'm starting to think Klefbom will develop into the #1D that we need. He's been trending up very nicely for a while now. Really there's no reason to think that he can't be a legit #1D in this league. When Keith was at the same age as Klefbom he was in his 1st NHL season, putting up 21 points in 81 games. Similar stories with Chara and Subban. Not every #1D develop like Doughty.

I'm really liking how Klefboms game is coming together. He has everything you want in a d-man. Size, skating, physical and his offensive game is coming together too. He has only played 107 NHL games. Give him the rest of this season and another full year and going into 17/18 season he might be a #1D in this league and a very good one at that.

Everyone is looking for a #1D but perhaps we don't realize that we have one right here developing in front of our eyes. That's why I wouldn't get hung up on trading for specifically a #1D. A #2 or #3 would suffice. Between Klefbom, Sekera, Nurse and another #2/#3D we'd actually have a pretty strong group on defense. If Hamonic is as good as advertised he'd be a really good addition. With him we could be looking at one of the best bluelines in the NHL 2-3 years from now.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I'm starting to think Klefbom will develop into the #1D that we need. He's been trending up very nicely for a while now. Really there's no reason to think that he can't be a legit #1D in this league. When Keith was at the same age as Klefbom he was in his 1st NHL season, putting up 21 points in 81 games. Similar stories with Chara and Subban. Not every #1D develop like Doughty.

I'm really liking how Klefboms game is coming together. He has everything you want in a d-man. Size, skating, physical and his offensive game is coming together too. He has only played 107 NHL games. Give him the rest of this season and another full year and going into 17/18 season he might be a #1D in this league and a very good one at that.

Everyone is looking for a #1D but perhaps we don't realize that we have one right here developing in front of our eyes. That's why I wouldn't get hung up on trading for specifically a #1D. A #2 or #3 would suffice. Between Klefbom, Sekera, Nurse and another #2/#3D we'd actually have a pretty strong group on defense. If Hamonic is as good as advertised he'd be a really good addition. With him we could be looking at one of the best bluelines in the NHL 2-3 years from now.

This is my thinking almost exactly. Klefbom is still a really young D, but hes already proven a decent amount. His performance this year and last is pretty good considering he has been paired with Schultz and faced some of the toughest comp. Almost none of his comparables have faced those two things. Theyve either had a good partner, or faced easy comp. Yet his defensive metrics are just as good. And by eye hes looking very good considering the circumstances. We really need to focus on developing him. I think itd be beneficial to land a Hamonic to handle defensive side of things so he can be free to rome and be more offensive. Also land another top 4 guy to spread the minutes around

When I look at the tools of a top pairing #1D, Klefbom checks off all the boxes. He really doesnt have any limitations, aside from some brain farts. But dude has very little help and facing tough comp. He dragging his partners up, not being propped up by them. I think we are growing our top pairing guy in our own backyard. We dont need go to market just yet. Plus hes making 4.125 mil for 8 years, thats going to be a bargain

Heres two players at age 22

Player X
48 GP- 24 points
1.03 pts/60
50.4% possession player
40.98 FA/60 (shots against)

Player Y
30 gp 12 points (19 points over 48 GP)
1.07 pts/60
51.4% possession player
37.98 FA/60

X=OEL Y= Klefbom

OEL then went on to explode on the scene. I suspect Klefbom is doing the same

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I don't like Klefbom's speed or offensive instincts. He isn't capable of rushing the puck like OEL, Doughty, Keith, Karlsson, Subban. Unless he somehow gets much faster and learns to be creative, I doubt we will ever see much offence out of him.

jeg

Jun 16, 2015
Whats everyones thoughts of pairing Klef-Sekera for the top pairing? This would reduce the need for a posible overpay for a top pairing RHD. This opens the doors for a much easier to obtain 2/3/4 RHD to pair up with Davidson/Nurse/griff.
Klefbom - Sekera
Davidson - XXXX
Nurse - Fayne
Griffy

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Whats everyones thoughts of pairing Klef-Sekera for the top pairing? This would reduce the need for a posible overpay for a top pairing RHD. This opens the doors for a much easier to obtain 2/3/4 RHD to pair up with Davidson/Nurse/griff.
Klefbom - Sekera
Davidson - XXXX
Nurse - Fayne
Griffy

That's still the worst D in the entire NHL.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
I don't like Klefbom's speed or offensive instincts. He isn't capable of rushing the puck like OEL, Doughty, Keith, Karlsson, Subban. Unless he somehow gets much faster and learns to be creative, I doubt we will ever see much offence out of him.

He has great speed and offensive instincts, he doesn't rush the puck because he actually shoots it. We have forwards who can drive the net and move the puck, we don't need Klef to do it. I would rather the D stay in position and put the puck on net TBH. The guy is a young, responsible, strong +skater who is smart and apparently a great character guy. I would much, much rather develop him then have him be a piece going out in a short term upgrade.

jeg

Jun 16, 2015
That's still the worst D in the entire NHL.

Without player XXX that is hard to say, and as well check out other teams D. In reality most teams do not have numerous star D, Look at Arz, Bost, Car, CLB...ect.

If Klef is healthy and Sekera playing like he has thats a good top pair
Davidson came out of no where and is playing exceptional, pair him with the likes of Demers for example, thats a solid 2nd pairing
Nurse will improve with years and less TOI and pressure. Fayne is a boring shuttdown defender, who can play the role of third pairing. Griff will eventually break the line up and challenge for a spot or be moved. Just how i see it.

Now in a perfect world we get Byf, Shattenkirk or Hamonic as player XXX and i would think we are sitting quite well

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
When Chia signed Sekera his exact words to describe where he see's him fitting were, "Second pairing anchor." a #3 defenseman. Klefbom can be a very passable #2 if the Oilers get a guy to carry that top pair. Nurse is fine as a #4, and Davidson seems like a fixture on the bottom pair.

Klefbom ?
Nurse Sekera
Davidson ?

Klefbom needs a rock solid shutdown partner (Hamonic), and Davidson's partner should be a PP wizard who can hold his own 5 vs 5 and move the puck. (Vatanen)

jeg

Jun 16, 2015
When Chia signed Sekera his exact words to describe where he see's him fitting were, "Second pairing anchor." a #3 defenseman. Klefbom can be a very passable #2 if the Oilers get guy to carry that top pair. Nurse is fine as a #4, and Davidson seems like a fixture on the bottom pair.

Klefbom ?
Nurse Sekera
Davidson ?

Klefbom needs a rock solid shutdown partner (Hamonic), and Davidson's partner should be a PP wizard who can hold his own 5 vs 5 and move the puck. (Vatanen)

Love the idea however but your asking for 4 top defencemen in the lineup and we would need to sacrifice to do so. Hamonic is on a honey of a deal but Vatanen will cost $$$.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
When Chia signed Sekera his exact words to describe where he see's him fitting were, "Second pairing anchor." a #3 defenseman. Klefbom can be a very passable #2 if the Oilers get a guy to carry that top pair. Nurse is fine as a #4, and Davidson seems like a fixture on the bottom pair.

Klefbom ?
Nurse Sekera
Davidson ?

Excellent post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad