Rumor: Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread: Still No Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Won't it be fine with the older contracts coming off the books? I figured it should be pretty close. Backes is a 3C on St. Louis I don't think he will be asking for 6M per.

Backes makes $4.75M in real money right now. This is perhaps his last big chance to hit a home run. He is big, physical and has had a regular pattern of close to 60 points. For a team like Edmonton they would be lucky to get him to sign for $6M.

If I had to guess that team you have would have a cap hit of around $78m in 2017-2018. You may get lucky and slide under the cap. But the next year you have to re-up Nurse and McDavid so you need to find about $9M in cap space for those two with really no practical option to do so.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
How do you not see a fit? Everyone wants to move Schultz and Fayne. You can't function with endless amounts of left shot d.

Earlier you were talking about the Chicago model. Chicago's top four last season has one right handed shot in the lot.

Jones would be the only one we have.

If you get rid of all the other RHD, yes, that's true.

We are moving a top 6 center for a player in a position that we have 0 depth in. Zero

That ignores the crux of my argument, which is the Oilers have plenty of depth in the "young, inexperienced D with top pairing potential" department. The side the play on doesn't change that at all.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Earlier you were talking about the Chicago model. Chicago's top four last season has one right handed shot in the lot.

If you get rid of all the other RHD, yes, that's true.

That ignores the crux of my argument, which is the Oilers have plenty of depth in the "young, inexperienced D with top pairing potential" department. The side the play on doesn't change that at all.
If we move out Schultz and Fayne like everyone wants we have 0 right shot d.

Klefbom, Sekera, Reinhart, Nurse, Davidson. All left shots.

So if we can't find a experienced established d which is hard to find that's not a UFA, overpaid or not actually as good as we need. What do we do. Just sit and hold on to he youth we have, or find other young guys that can help the back end.

This magical top 2 established d that isn't a UFA, is signed and is available doesn't exist outside of Hamonic. And we won't get Hamonic.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
If we move out Schultz and Fayne like everyone wants we have 0 right shot d.

Again, this is true. I'm not sure why we'd do that beyond "that's what everyone wants to do". And suppose we do move them out: is there no return coming back that could fit the bill or are we just driving them to the farm and letting them run free?

Klefbom, Sekera, Reinhart, Nurse, Davidson. All left shots.

So you're talking about trading Nuge, running with two teenage top six centres and a 3 D-men under the age of 24, all for the sake of getting one guy who shoots right?

McDeathbyCheerios*

Again, this is true. I'm not sure why we'd do that beyond "that's what everyone wants to do". And suppose we do move them out: is there no return coming back that could fit the bill or are we just driving them to the farm and letting them run free?

So you're talking about trading Nuge, running with two teenage top six centres and a 3 D-men under the age of 24, all for the sake of getting one guy who shoots right?
For the reason of solidifying our d core for the next 5+ years.

Drai is 20, no longer a teen

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

Do you know how old Keith and Seabrook were when Kane and Toews came into the league? The Hawks were contenders when Keith and Seabrook were 24-25.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
For the reason of solidifying our d core for the next 5+ years.

How many times must it be said that our d-corps`biggest need is established veteran players?

Drai is 20, no longer a teen

oh well that changes everything #noitdoesnt

Do you know how old Keith and Seabrook were when Kane and Toews came into the league? The Hawks were contenders when Keith and Seabrook were 24-25.

So we're looking at contending in three to four years, then?

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
So we're looking at contending in three to four years, then?

Of course. Playoffs is a must next year. Contention should be a year after that. Teams win championships with players heating up during their rookie contracts. Look at Kane, Toews, Seguin, Toffoli, Saad, Pearson etc. McDavid and Drai are no different

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I'll ask the same question here I keep asking: on a team with two pretty high end D prospects in Klef and Nurse that's lacking in veteran presence on the blue, how does adding more youth and potential in that area help us in the short term?

If that trade happened, your top four D next season would be:

Klef(23)-Jones(22)
Nurse(21)-Sekera(30)

That's certainly a less experienced group than what we have today. Would be dynamite in a few years, sure, but I don't see going all in on youth on the blue line and up the middle being a recipe for turning the ship around in short order.

If you acquire Jones he'd be taking Schultz's spot in the top 4. Schultz has played about 40 more NHL games than Jones, but I wonder what is more valuable: having those 40 extra games in this tire fire of an organization or having played almost 200 games in a defensively sound system behind two of the top defensemen in the league? I know which I believe would be better...

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Of course. Playoffs is a must next year. Contention should be a year after that.

None of this necessitates trading RNH, though.

Teams win championships with players heating up during their rookie contracts. Look at Kane, Toews, Seguin, Toffoli, Saad, Pearson etc. McDavid and Drai are no different

You need grown-ups too. Look at Jeff Carter, Mike Richards, Justin Williams, Anze Kopitar, Marian Hossa, Brian Campbell, Patrick Sharp...

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
None of this necessitates trading RNH, though

Of course it does. Why would the team want to be strapped down on Hall(6M)+Drai(6)+McDavid(8)+RNH(6)+Pouliot(5) =31M in 2-3 years and not even have #1D. I prefer Seth Jones chances of becoming an impactful player than RNH.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Of course it does.

It absolutely does not.

Why would the team want to be strapped down on Hall(6M)+Drai(6)+McDavid(8)+RNH(6)+Pouliot(5) =31M in 2-3 years and not even have #1D.

So Jones the only option for a #1D and RNH is the only possible trading chip available. OK, then.

I prefer Seth Jones chances of becoming an impactful player than RNH

Your preferences do not make it so.

McDeathbyCheerios*

None of this necessitates trading RNH, though.

You need grown-ups too. Look at Jeff Carter, Mike Richards, Justin Williams, Anze Kopitar, Marian Hossa, Brian Campbell, Patrick Sharp...
And we can get that like most teams in free agency once we can put together at least 0.500 hockey. Unless you want to wait till RNH is 28 in 6 years.

We aren't getting a good top d that is older that will still be in his prime while we are condtending. That isn't happening. So if we are moving a RNH for a d, getting a guy who is young but top 4 now is great.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
It absolutely does not.

So Jones the only option for a #1D and RNH is the only possible trading chip available. OK, then.

Your preferences do not make it so.

Can I ask you for your solution for the #1D?

I prefer Jones over RNH. Jones just simply carries the puck into the O zone better. That's a problem if a dman can do that better than your #1C

KidAnger

Sep 12, 2015
Edmonton
Of course it does. Why would the team want to be strapped down on Hall(6M)+Drai(6)+McDavid(8)+RNH(6)+Pouliot(5) =31M in 2-3 years and not even have #1D. I prefer Seth Jones chances of becoming an impactful player than RNH.

Not a big deal, but Pouliot makes $4million/yr, not $5 million. His deal was 5 years $20million.

HotToddy75

Jun 13, 2011
Minnesota did something odd the other day and ran Brodin with Suter, both are LH shots. Suter was quoted in the media as saying it was an odd move, he later clarified those remarks.

Minny has a really deep group of D, I wonder if Brodin on the right side wasn't a test of some sorts?

Upcoming trade? Bringing in Hamonic? Coaching gaffe?

McDeathbyCheerios*

Minnesota did something odd the other day and ran Brodin with Suter, both are LH shots. Suter was quoted in the media as saying it was an odd move, he later clarified those remarks.

Minny has a really deep group of D, I wonder if Brodin on the right side wasn't a test of some sorts?
Maybe 3 way trade?

Edmonton gets Hamonic
NYI gets Spurgeon, Edmonton's 2nd and Islanders 2nd
Minnesota gets Eberle

McDeathbyCheerios*

People need to stop looking at trades from a in a bubble value, cause GMs don't.

They say is the package I'm getting more valuable to me then the package I'm sending away.

If the answer is yes then you win.

Is Seth Jones a proven NHL d, who is young and under control for a while more valuable to the Oilers then a 6 million dollar center?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

Brodin has played RD pretty much his entire junior and NHL career.
His usual partner is Scandella who plays the left side.

Brodin playing the right side was definitely not the "odd" part.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
People need to stop looking at trades from a in a bubble value, cause GMs don't.

They say is the package I'm getting more valuable to me then the package I'm sending away.

Is Seth Jones a proven NHL d, who is young and under control for a while more valuable to the Oilers then a 6 million dollar center?

My answer would be No.
Jones hasnt done anything to prove that he is better than Klefbom in any way..
doesnt score more, doesnt hit, doesnt play tough minutes ..

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015

Seth Jones is "proven" in so far as he puts up very good numbers playing mostly bottom pairing minutes behind a top D pairing in the league. Everything else is pure potential. He is also very shortly going to be in line for a contract that pays him at least $5.5 Million long term, if not more.

RNH is a 22-year-old actually proven #1 centre, the only experienced top six C on his team playing for a coach that values such commodities and a GM who won a Cup with strong depth up the middle. that's very valuable for this team and five bad games don't really change that.

Can I ask you for your solution for the #1D?

As I said elsewhere, if Buff goes to FA, go hard for him. Otherwise, try dangling Eberle or the first round pick and see what shakes loose (if the Sharks flame out again, perhaps a high pick could tempt them to part with Burns to help them restock the cupboard). Lots of asset sto dangle before RNH.

I prefer Jones over RNH. Jones just simply carries the puck into the O zone better. That's a problem if a dman can do that better than your #1C

I'd like to see something to support that that's not the eye test.

Titsuple

Jun 23, 2009
edmonton
My no trade list would include RNH McDavid Draisaitl Hall Nurse. I would trade any other player on the team.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
And we can get that like most teams in free agency once we can put together at least 0.500 hockey. Unless you want to wait till RNH is 28 in 6 years.

We aren't getting a good top d that is older that will still be in his prime while we are condtending. That isn't happening. So if we are moving a RNH for a d, getting a guy who is young but top 4 now is great.

Can we though? I remember a time when the oilers were a bubble team every year. What big name FA did we sign then? The whole idea of rebuild started from the fact that we couldn't get free agents that were top players to sign here. That's why we tried to get top players through the draft because the Hossa s and Heatleys and Prongers of the NHL wouldn't sign in edmonton.
In fact I can't remember a big name guy other then Sykora that ever signed here in FA. Our top players have always come via trade. Usually it was something like we get a good player develop them until they were ready and some other team gave us scraps for them when we couldn't pay them. We develop those scraps till they were ready and ship them off for lesser guys. Before the cap this was business as usual in this city.

My point is we need to trade some talent for pieces in other places because no FAs of high calibre will sign here. It sucks but it is what it is, so do it.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013

This^^^^.

If Jones and not Josi is what you can pry out of Nashville for RNH, do it. Fact is, the current model is not working. Maybe Eberle playing with McDavid is a lot better, but one of the big dollar 3 has to go. THE CURRENT MODEL IS NOT EVEN CLOSE TO WORKING. Shake it up, move some $$$ and term and try to get Jones. Personally i still add a 2nd and see if that is enough to get Josi. I doubt it, but imagine a workhorse like that back there - hes only 24. Maybe RNH and 1st for Josi, 3rd liner and a 2nd...

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Id also see if we could grab a guy like Hartnell. This team is totally gutless and he'd at least supply some grit and play 3/4C. What other half decent FA's are sitting out there right now? Derek Roy? seriously the bottom 6 is a joke - not even competititve....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad