Speculation: Trade Rumors/Speculation Part X: Sather Falls Asleep on the Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
What are people's thoughts on Ryan Murphy from carolina? Do people feel he could be that dynamic OFD? He's a RD too IRC.

He is amazing in run and gun games, but in tight checking games or going up against big forwards, he is a major liability.

I like him better than Ellis in Nashville as an NHL player, however, I see neither as legit top 4 defenseman on winning teams. That said, he can one day be a great asset on third pair and power play while being sheltered 5v5.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Like I said, it wouldn't surprise me if a playoff team trades for him in a couple of months as a depth player who can add some grit and help on face-offs for the playoffs. 4th or 5th round pick for nothing more than a little bit of money while he is on your team.

Eh Konopka really is not a good player. Maybe someone will take a flyer on him for depth but he's kind of a ****** option even for a fourth liner now

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
RE: Konopka.

No one would give up a pick for him if all he did after we claimed him was sitting in the press box. Since he is miles behind Boyle and Moore he isn't even sniffing playing time on our team and would be a completely redundant pick up.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Eh Konopka really is not a good player. Maybe someone will take a flyer on him for depth but he's kind of a ****** option even for a fourth liner now

He is a solid depth piece for a playoff team. Like I said, a team looking to contend who wants a 13th or 14th forward going into the playoffs may offer up a late round pick.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Miller scratched. Guess AV wants boyle, Moore, Dorsett together? Send miller down then

Last edited:

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
I'm confused why people don't like Palmieri.

Haven't liked his game in admittedly limited viewing, and glancing at his adv. stats they didn't look impressive.

But I looked into them a bit further which showed at least some upside, he has been scoring at a good pace 5v5 even though his possession play has been lacking.

So I don't know, I just feel him becoming something of a Benoit Pouliot (pre-Rangers edition).

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Haven't liked his game in admittedly limited viewing, and glancing at his adv. stats they didn't look impressive.

But I looked into them a bit further which showed at least some upside, he has been scoring at a good pace 5v5 even though his possession play has been lacking.

So I don't know, I just feel him becoming something of a Benoit Pouliot (pre-Rangers edition).

I think he has Hagelin/Callahan upside. That type of high speed player with some offense.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Fair points.

Now I want to hear your alternative. According to you we are supposed to:
-Trade Cally
-Trade Girardi
-Trade Zucc
- Buy-out Richards.
- Not qualify Brassard

What players do you envision winning the cup for us? What are we getting in return in the trades? What are we using the cap-space on?

You know, I am not trying to be a dick. I just don't see the alternatives always.

Build the team around Kreider,Stepan and Nash,McDonagh and Lundqvist. Miller too.

The team gets a high pick in the June draft

Some players have more value than others and in the right deal Hagelin could be available.

Get closure on Staal. Does he want to stay? Does he want to go? Do the Rangers want Staal?

Break it down. Trade all of the group IIIs. Girardi,Callahan,Stralman,Boyle and Moore. Are any of those players getting signed for next season? The Rangers haven't reportedly discussed a new contract with Stralman. Anyone want Pouiliot? Trade either Girardi or Callahan for roster player(s). Trade the other for futures.

Amnesty Richards.

Qualify Brassard. 1 year deal. Stopgap. Stepan-Brassard-Miller.

Trade Del Zotto.

The team needs to change. Bringing back the same team with the same faults isn't the answer. You can't say there are no better alternatives so we will stay with the same group with the same results.

Just because the cap will be $71M doesn't mean the Rangers should spend $71M next season.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
Konopka claimed by the Sabres. The first team who had a shot at him. I wonder who else put in a claim.

The sabres are doing this and calgary has been doing it a bit, too.

It kind of makes sense if you think about it. If you're going to rebuild, go for a high character team that is going to stick up for each other even when you lose. A team you can be proud of. This way prospects when they come in are in the right environment and can develop with the right mindset and not a country club atmosphere.

Bardof425*

Miller scratched. Guess AV wants boyle, Moore, Dorsett together? Send miller down then

Mistake. Should have scratched Boyle and slid Cally onto the 4th line while he gets back into playing shape. He could also play PP and PK.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I'm confused why people don't like Palmieri.

Because his advanced stats look bad, and IMO there are some who are still bitter about the Palmieri vs Kreider debate we had with a lot of Ducks fans.

I'm a fan of the kid. Not a big player obviously, but he has a good motor and an above average shot with solid vision. Can line up at either wing and has a nice swagger to his game. I think he could be a very solid 2nd line winger who could play in this system.

Vatanen + Palmieri would be a great deal for Girardi, but I don't see us getting that much for him. Maybe one or the other with a pick involved. If he agreed to sign a new deal with the Ducks, then I might see us getting that kind of value.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
Reading the US Olympic team decision thing with the GMs, it seems like Callahan is held in extremely high regard among GMs in the league. They said he was having a good year, despite the fact that we think he's playing like trash. If he got traded, I feel like he would gather us a mini-fortune. They all love him.
Coaches and management are in agreement with the locks, and the only significant change is the agreement that Ryan Callahan has played his way up the team's depth chart.

"He's been great," Poile says.
As was the case in Toronto, Poile bypassed discussion on the blue line in favor of the forwards. The coaches noted, as the GMs had earlier, that Ryan Callahan had turned up his game and had moved up the depth chart to a second-line role, with T.J. Oshie dropping to a fourth-line role on the right side.

"I totally agree with that," Poile says.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
People want to move Brassard out and buyout Richards. Who plays center next season? Miller is not a 3C, but would be #2 then. Is there someone to sign? Are they that much better at 2C than Brassard? They will all cost more too next season. Bolland? Brass can be had on a 1 year at 3.9. Take that option unless he is traded for another C who could take his spot. Allows to be flexible next season too if Miller and Lindberg/FA signing fill the void better. Can be dealt for futures or help elsewhere. I agree on guys like Boyle and Moore unless they want to bring them back on their current type deals. Boyle at 1.7 with a 71.1 Cap is fine. Same with Moore. If they do not want guys like Kristo or Fast on the 4th, these guys are needed. Boyle and Moore on 1-2 year deals are freat. Anymore I'd deal them for futures. You need placeholder players if the youth are not there.

Resign Cally and Girardi. An increased cap, if both combine for 12 million, it could be a lot worse. Those are about 2 million a piece in raises. I think we can afford that. It comes down to finding impact guys for depth to make this team work. Legit top 6 guys and 3rd line players. Whether that is through trade, free agency, or youth.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
They said he was having a good year, despite the fact that we think he's playing like trash.

Because to most posters on this board, anything less than awesome is awful. People only know how to deal in absolutes.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Honestly, I think signing them both long term pretty much nullifies all chance of this organization winning a Cup any time soon. For what they will be paid and what they bring to the table, they need to be able to carry the team for stretches. Neither does that.

Fair enough. We have to agree to disagree on this one.

I don't see us winning a cup this or next year, but beyond that I wouldn't rule out that Cally and G would be assets at a 6 and 5.5 cap hit. There is a bit of a risk there, but there is a risk with anyone. Look at Staal.

Punxrocknyc19*

If I had to guess, the Sabres are close to selling off some players like Ott and Stafford. need bodies.

id consider something like Ott and Larsson for Hrivik Bourque and conditional 2ed 2014(if Ott resigns), 5th 2014 (if Ott is let go) .

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Reading the US Olympic team decision thing with the GMs, it seems like Callahan is held in extremely high regard among GMs in the league. They said he was having a good year, despite the fact that we think he's playing like trash. If he got traded, I feel like he would gather us a mini-fortune. They all love him.

They need to trade Cally. The guy is a shell of his former self and was never a real difference maker to begin with. He's a classic overvalued asset. Unfortunately Cally is the type of player that the team and even the league has been brainwashing casual Rangers fans into thinking he walks on water. I feel like trading him would be a PR hit.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
What it comes down to is the people who want to sign Girardi and Callahan for the long-term contracts is they want to keep the status quo. I ask, what is good about the status quo? Will this team get better as the core pieces get older?

Nah, that is really not what at least I have said.

I've actually not even said that I want to keep G and Cally, I only said that I don't think we should deal them for crap. Ie a Palmieri and a late 1st or something. The market is dead out there. A lot of people are putting there heads in the sand when it comes to that. It could change closer to the dead line, we will see. But right now there is no market for anything.

But anyway, we need to change a few things for sure. I just do not think Slats should act just because what we have isn't good enough. To take a step backwards you must have a plan to take two steps forward. What is that plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad