Trade Rumors & Proposals Thread VI: Vermette or For Worse Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
This, however, I like Eller and I like him a lot, unless it's adding a piece or two to get a serious upgrade, I don't see this as being a move that makes us better. Lars does a lot of under-appreciated heavy lifting for this club.

I would prefer to send DD packing, but I doubt there are many, if any takers.

I agree that I would only move Eller as part of a package for a true top 6 player, and not a rental either, someone with term.

I feel the exact same about DD though. On this current team, he provides offensive skill (specifically playmaking) something we dont have enough of as we don't score enough goals. I'm not in favor of just giving him away either, but would move him as part of a package for a top 6 winger, with term on their contract (And not a debilitating cap hit of course).

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
I've asked and seen others ask the same question, without any reply:

Why would Emelin waive his NTC?

We're going to the POs; our trade partner will almost certainly not be.

Unless he dislikes the city, the organization, his teammates, his coach, etc (none of which appears to be true), I can't see him accepting a trade.

Any thoughts as to why this might not be the case? McKenzie? Anyone?

Players have pride and often times if they're asked to move they take it personally. Would you want to stay on a club that wants to move you? Many players will nix the trade, many won't.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
I agree that I would only move Eller as part of a package for a true top 6 player, and not a rental either, someone with term.

I feel the exact same about DD though. On this current team, he provides offensive skill (specifically playmaking) something we dont have enough of as we don't score enough goals. I'm not in favor of just giving him away either, but would move him as part of a package for a top 6 winger, with term on their contract (And not a debilitating cap hit of course).

Same, I think the addition by subtraction idea with regards to DD is a pile of crap. Most people want to move him because he's in the way of the player they like better in their eyes, but he's quite serviceable and giving him away for squat does nothing to improve our team. Like it or not, out team of forwards is pretty weak offensively and replacing a 50 point payer, even under ideal circumstances isn't easy to do. Many others will tell you otherwise though.

Michelangelo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2014
Montreal
Cup winners have a good spine.

LA Had

Kopitar
Carter
Stoll
Random 4rth liner.

That is a pretty awesome spine.

You're joking, right?

La wasnt weak at center with kopitar carter richard.
last year sharp had to play center against the kings in the playoffs and chicago lost.
Chicago has center depth with toews sharp richards saad shaw kruger . Kane will play center in worst case

Oh, did I forget the :sarcasm: in my last post?

In that case, :sarcasm:

Michelangelo

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Except the hockey mantra is you build your team down the middle.

I believe it's your build your team from the net out.:sarcasm:

Either way, we're talking about the difference in 3rd line C here. Let's not kid ourselves, C matters but Pacioretty is carrying the team up front and he's not a C. Don't underestimate the value of a good winger.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Disagree. Tinordi is super slow and hasn't played well (at all!) during his last stretch whatsoever.

Meanwhile, Emelin has actually been playing well lately, swept away pucks that were going into the net otherwise 3x and is 5th in the NHL for checks.

That was Hal Gill, Tinordi isn't slow and he can skate, Emelin's knee injury hasn't helped his speed as much as playing on his natural side LD. Having Markov & Beaulieu both LD's ahead of him is making him available, paying $4.1 mil a season for a guy playing 3rd pairing is a waste of talent and cap space. Tinordi is still developing is on a cap friendly salary$1,082,500 a year cap hit, which frees up $3 mil. per for 3 yrs. off Emelin's cap hit.:nod:

teh doors

ice hockey fan
Nov 15, 2010
Weak Prospect for Chipchura or McClement, maybe Jagr?
Emelin + Prospect + Prospect/Pick to Florida for Brian Campbell

Campbell only has one year left, big price but perfect amount of time to let Beaulieu grow into the top four. They're also both from the same city, great mentor, Cup winner, plays 23 mins, gives team a 1-2-3 of Markov, Subban, and Campbell

Similar pickup to when Bergevin was interested in Dan Boyle around the UFA season

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
That's a decent price if he has any interest in signing in Montreal. Although given the horrible UFA pool this year, he's probably going to be even more overpaid than he would be in your typical off-season.

**** that, no Methot nor Coburn. Might as well just play Tinordi if we're going to give away top 2 picks and prospects. This teams isn't a cup contender, not by a long shot with our current forward group. Either we do deals for players that are here next season or we go status quo.

Saintpatrick*

With DD being MT's "number 1" center who between Pleks and Galchenyuk plays the 3rd line center role with non offensive players?

Id rather go forward with these 4 centers

Pleks
Galchenyuk
Eller
DLR

I think alot of us would

BJG

Jul 30, 2005
Players have pride and often times if they're asked to move they take it personally. Would you want to stay on a club that wants to move you? Many players will nix the trade, many won't.

If you like your team, the city, your apartment and the possibility of winning a cup, the notion that your GM thinks you are a valuable chip worth trading doesn't seem to be reason enough to agree move to Buffalo.

HabsDieHard*

There is nothing to suggest that size correleates to being good in the playoffs either (at least on a player by player basis). Guys like Daniel Briere, Mike Cammalleri, Martin St. Louis, and Brian Gionta have all had strong playoff runs in recent years.

Just as Eller's past results do not guarantee his future success, neither does DD's.

And when we talk about mix of size and two way play... I look at Tomas Plekanec who brings the two way play (And has absolutely shut down David Kreijci in 2011 and 2014 playoff series, despite Kreijci having a line with two huge wingers Lucic and Horton/Iginla) and ask the question, does size matter or does talent when it comes to two-way play?.

The reality is this... Does the game get tighter checking in the playoffs, yes, a little. But really, five vs five scoring only changes a small amount. What really changes is that

1) PPs go down, as refs seem to swallow whistles.
2) PP% goes down, as teams are better able to game plan for their opponent's PP than they can in the regular season.

So you want to evaluate if a player can perform in the playoffs.... forget about size and ask yourself this. Is he able to produce offence five on five over large sample sizes in the regular season.

The reality remains that DD produces more offence than Eller even when we get rid of PP points.

Yes, past success doesn't guarantee future success but Eller has shown the abiltiy to produce in a big way in the playoffs.

Kind of a weird argument on your part.

"Just because Eller did it before doesn't mean he will do it again".

Okay, but that statement doesn't change the fact that he DID produce in the playoffs.

Also, when Eller isn't producing offensively he's still a positive possession player who is big, fast and strong. He is more and more becomign a reliable PK'er and 2 way shutdown centerman.

The "reality" is that Desharnais, with the best winger on the team and ample powerplay time can get around 16 goals and 50 points. Considering his shortcomings as a player I'm not sure why it's worth it to continue to give him those minutes when it's glaringly obvious he isn't ever gonna be anything more than that.

And on top of all that, even though it doesn't mean he won't produce in the future....to date in his career his playoff performance has been AWFUL productivity wise.

And when you're a small, non physical pass first centerman what are you bringing to the table when you aren't producing?

:help:

HabsDieHard*

With DD being MT's "number 1" center who between Pleks and Galchenyuk plays the 3rd line center role with non offensive players?

Pleks
Galchenyuk
Eller
DLR

I honestly cannot envision a scenario where Bergevin, who since being hired has constantly talked about the need to be a bigger and tougher team to play against, would prefer any option with Desharnais in it as opposed to Eller.

It just does not fit in with his entire approach since being hired by the Canadiens.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada

Pleks
Galchenyuk
Eller
DLR

Why does the third line centre play with non-offensive players?

Aren't we trading Eller for a top 6 winger?

Our lines would then be....

Max Pac - Trade Acquisition
Sekac - Gallagher
Weise - Parenteau

The third line is going to have a guy who is currently on our first line, and Parenteau.

The idea that the third line must be the "checking line" is an outdated concept built by EA Sports games with SC1, SC2, CHK,

It doesn't work that way anymore. Most teams are using one of their top 2 lines as a matchup line (see Pleks, Kopitar, Toews, Bergeron, Kesler, Johansson, etc... etc..) So the idea that our third line centre must be defensively minded isn't true.

Order them Chucky, DD, Pleks.
Pleks, Chuck, DD
DD, Pleks, Chuck

It doesn't matter... Pleks is gonna get the matchups

Pleks is going to get the tough matchups.

HabsDieHard*

One good playoffs run is still better than 3 bad playoffs for DD, with two of them playing with Pacioretty/best wingers/PP... Eller got his good playoffs playing with Bourque, on the third line and no PP.

Desharnais has 2 goals in 27 playoff games.

IDGAF how much of a "pass first" player he is, that is completely pathetic.

That the supposed high end playmaker only has 8 assists in those 27 games really highlights how ineffective he is as the tighter checking bettre teams present themselves in the playoffs.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Emelin is not a finesse defender but has been told to stop hitting thus rendering him ineffective. He was a much better player in the past when asked to step up with strong hits and strike fear in the hearts of opposing forwards.(they made him try and be something he is not) It's not his fault, it falls on Therrien. With that said, Emelin makes brain dead mistakes and is only a number 5 D at best and does not have the tools to be more, a valuable player that will be missed.

Eller although flawed and obviously lacking confidence has always had a revolving door of line mates and although not a superstar can play some heavy minutes in critical times of the game and In last years playoffs along with Borque was one of our best players. He should not be traded and let a 19 year old assume his role. Mark my words, he will go elsewhere and under a better coach will be a much more valuable player.

FisherKing

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site

Good news. They can't.:laugh:

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
I honestly cannot envision a scenario where Bergevin, who since being hired has constantly talked about the need to be a bigger and tougher team to play against, would prefer any option with Desharnais in it as opposed to Eller.

It just does not fit in with his entire approach since being hired by the Canadiens.

You mean the approach that signed DD to a 4 year extension?
The approach that signed Daniel Briere as a free agent?
The approach that drafted Collberg, Lehkonen, Hudon, Andrighetto, Reway,?
The approach that traded for Christian Thomas?

That approach???

I personally don't see anyway Bergevin sees a team that is good defensively, but doesn't score enough and then decides to just throw a fifty point player away. Only way he trades DD is for an upgrade at forward IMO.

FisherKing

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Emelin is not a finesse defender but has been told to stop hitting thus rendering him ineffective. He was a much better player in the past when asked to step up with strong hits and strike fear in the hearts of opposing forwards.(they made him try and be something he is not) It's not his fault, it falls on Therrien. With that said, Emelin makes brain dead mistakes and is only a number 5 D at best and does not have the tools to be more, a valuable player that will be missed.

Eller although flawed and obviously lacking confidence has always had a revolving door of line mates and although not a superstar can play some heavy minutes in critical times of the game and In last years playoffs along with Borque was one of our best players. He should not be traded and let a 19 year old assume his role. Mark my words, he will go elsewhere and under a better coach will be a much more valuable player.

Great post. I agree with everything you wrote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce