Rumor: Trade Rumors & Proposals Thread | Hey Kenny You Can Wake Up Now, Your 6 Month Nap Is Over

Status
Not open for further replies.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I agree on that but Bouchard is still young and he has way more potential than he's shown.

But.... We want to win now and we are desperate. If this can help us get Saros and help our blue line, I'm all for it
Definitely has way more potential...thats why it would be hard to trade him.
We agree that this team cant afford to care as much about potential because their window to win is right now.
Unfortunately Bouchards bad defence is part of the problem with this team.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
How much do the Oilers add to Bouchard to get Saros?

forget Campbell and Barrie for the moment.
Good question.
Maybe Broberg +.
I mean obviously there is a limit to what the Oilers should give up. They cant sell the farm to get Saros but they have to be willing to give up a lot to get a goalie of that quality.

What would you project Saros to be worth?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I have a source, who I don't trust, but was accurate once.. said that we are trying for Askarov.

I don't believe it but maybe something to keep an eye on
Man...I dont know why Nashville would do that considering that they are rebuilding.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Definitely has way more potential...thats why it would be hard to trade him.
We agree that this team cant afford to care as much about potential because their window to win is right now.
Unfortunately Bouchards bad defence is part of the problem with this team.
It’s part of it to be sure, but I honestly don’t think nurse, Ceci, or Ekholm have been any better this year. The whole group is in an absolute funk and knows that any mistake they make is winding up in the net. This team needs a goalie, but it needs and offensive outburst and a sports psychologist too.

Reactions: MessierII

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I have a source, who I don't trust, but was accurate once.. said that we are trying for Askarov.

I don't believe it but maybe something to keep an eye on

This team loves young players so that makes sense haha

It’s part of it to be sure, but I honestly don’t think nurse, Ceci, or Ekholm have been any better this year. The whole group is in an absolute funk and knows that any mistake they make is winding up in the net. This team needs a goalie, but it needs and offensive outburst and a sports psychologist too.

And the forwards don’t help out either. Especially this year.

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The group as a whole has been poor but IMO Bouchard is the poster boy for bad defence this season.
The troubling part for me is that it appears as if he just gives up.
I dont have a lot of tolerance for players that quit on a play and Bouchard has done that multiple times already this season.

Reactions: TB12

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
The group as a whole has been poor but IMO Bouchard is the poster boy for bad defence this season.
The troubling part for me is that it appears as if he just gives up.
I dont have a lot of tolerance for players that quit on a play and Bouchard has done that multiple times already this season.
The thing with Bouchard is that while that’s true, he also has outproduced the rest of the d group combined. He gets powerplay time, sure, but at least there’s an element of his game that brings positive value. I think most of his issues right now are mental. Guy needs a big save behind him. I hope Woody going to bat for him helps.

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
Oilers ain't getting Barrie back, they need a guy or two that can play DEFENSE ! They already have offensively gifted and defensively challenged Bouchard and he's not going anywhere at his age ! I could see Broberg and Skinner being traded for Saros if the Oilers can sign him long term? Campbell will likely be bought out after this year. My 2 cents, flame away !! :dunno:

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
Nah man I disagree. Bouchard is a much better passer than Barrie. His breakout passing is the best on the Oilers.
He also leads the team in another key category. Brain farts that lead to direct goals per minute

I’m mostly in jest. Overall he’s the better offensive player but that doesn’t mean barrie is a slouch.

I would hate to give up bouch because that offense is great. But if we had to use him to get a goalie upgrade and still get a similar player to bouch in return (ie barrie) I think we have to take that.

That’s just my opinion though. I’m still high on bouch long term but we have some serious needs

I would also give broberg up in a heart beat but I don’t think he has value. I’m not completely over him yet but I think he’s probably trending towards “bust”

Detroit fans were right. Holland ain’t a great drafter

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
Some goaltending moves we could see soon:

Spencer Martin could go on waivers
Joey D'Accord could go on waivers (Drieger playing much better now in AHL)
Alex Lyon could go on waivers (Detroit carrying 3 goalies; Lyon has yet to play a single game)
John Gibson could be moved by the Ducks (he has a 10 team no trade list - I'm guessing that Detroit and Columbus wouldn't be on his list)
Ville Husso could become available (Campbell like numbers, but shorter contract term)
Elvis Merzlikins could become available (not quite Campbell numbers - has a no trade deal though)
Jake Allen available (but has a 7 team no trade list - might be willing to waive)

I am starting to think that the Oilers are actually stuck with Skinner and Pickard here and the only realistic option is Jake Allen. If they do an Allen deal (and he's willing to waive) it will probably look something like this (2 scenarios - Campbell waives his trade protection to go to MTL or refuses to waive):

Jack Campbell 40% retained (3M)
Ryan McLeod (2.1M)
Cody Ceci (3.25M)
Xavier Bourgault (AHL)
Draft pick
CAP: 8.35M

for

Jake Allen (3.85M)
Sean Monahan (2M)
Campbell retention (2M)
Recall Broberg - 863,333K
CAP 8.713333M (possible to fit in a few weeks)

This weakens the Oilers defense, but they could possibly make another deal to add a D-man. Monahan is an upgrade on McLeod. The Habs could then flip Campbell to another team - retaining a bit of his cap hit - so he can be a backup at 1.5 or 2M cap hit (try PIT for instance). The Habs could also just buy him out.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
“Gotta get Skinny goin’”

- Jayve Tippcroft

@Oilhawks
I get where you're going with this but they actually DID get Smitty going again. I'm just sayin'....

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Barrie is inferior to Bouchard in all respects except for his risk management is better, he is more frequently in better defensive position, his defensive give a shit is higher, and he might be marginally better at PP keep-ins.

Bouchard is better offensively, defensively (when in proper position), stronger in the corners, better at zone entry denials, zone exits with possession, puck protection, passing, shooting, and is a full tier up in how he mentally processes the offensive aspects of the game (which is saying a lot since Barrie is one of the best offensive d-men of the last decade).

I have a strong bias to players who drive possession metrics and Bouchard is doing that far better than Barrie, I'm going to continue to preach patience with our young OFD, you simply can't re-acquire that level of talent, Bouchard has pronounced weaknesses and strengths, we just need to find a way to improve the margins. Just look at Brandon Montour the guy was constantly getting lambasted for his terrible defense, but he improved over time and was an absolute stud for Florida and a primary driving force to their late run last year.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Somebody needs to take the phone away from Holland.
Who knows if it has any legs but.... Binnington? Really?
He had one season when he caught lightning in a bottle on a great defensive team. Other than that, he's been....Jack Campbell basically, Campbell with an even bigger contract and a much worse personality. This can't possibly be this dinosaur's idea of a solution, can it?

Reactions: rickysusedsht

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Murphy at 50% (2.2 mil) 3 years
Raddysh (758,333) RFA next year
Mrazek (3.8mil) UFA next year

for

Campbell (5mil) 4 years
Bouchard (3.9mil) 2 years RFA

Oilers get cap room for 4 years, fill a goalie need, a depth scoring and defensive forward need, and get back a more defensive less offensive replacement for play top four RD.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
He had one season when he caught lightning in a bottle on a great defensive team. Other than that, he's been....Jack Campbell basically, Campbell with an even bigger contract and a much worse personality. This can't possibly be this dinosaur's idea of a solution, can it?
I feel like we're actually past Chia levels of "why would you let the moron that put you into this mess try to be the one to get you out of it?" with Holland.

We're going to trust the man who has literally only brought in Neal, Keith, Foegele and Ekholm as non-rentals in five years to make a near franchise altering trade. Yikes.

Last edited:

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
2.58gaa and 919% on a bad blues team is the same as Jack?

He isn't my first choice, but your math isn't mathing

I would rather have his prick angry attitude than a nice guy who hoards kittens

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
It's a 8 game sample size lol. He had a .901 and .894 save pct. the 2 seasons prior.
I'm not totally disagreeing

I think if we are realistic, Oilers will go bargain bin hunting. They deserve it for their lazy complacent off season

Never any urgency in this management

They are the type who call firefighters after half of the house is burned down

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Man...I dont know why Nashville would do that considering that they are rebuilding.
Askarov was allegedly being shopped at the draft. It was Seravalli who was reporting that. But some thinking that Preds were aiming for more re-tool than rebuild. At 28 Saros has a good runway of prime years tendering in him.

I don't know why people think Holland is the guy with lone gunman decision making on this franchise altering gaping hole move that needs to be made (1 of 2 along with top 4 RD). Jackson moved quickly on management changes when he took over. He's driving the bus now and will be authoring all moves that "He killed Kenny" makes from now until this season is euthanized.

Will dream of Saros while expecting Allen...

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Some goaltending moves we could see soon:

Spencer Martin could go on waivers
Joey D'Accord could go on waivers (Drieger playing much better now in AHL)
Alex Lyon could go on waivers (Detroit carrying 3 goalies; Lyon has yet to play a single game)
John Gibson could be moved by the Ducks (he has a 10 team no trade list - I'm guessing that Detroit and Columbus wouldn't be on his list)
Ville Husso could become available (Campbell like numbers, but shorter contract term)
Elvis Merzlikins could become available (not quite Campbell numbers - has a no trade deal though)
Jake Allen available (but has a 7 team no trade list - might be willing to waive)

I am starting to think that the Oilers are actually stuck with Skinner and Pickard here and the only realistic option is Jake Allen. If they do an Allen deal (and he's willing to waive) it will probably look something like this (2 scenarios - Campbell waives his trade protection to go to MTL or refuses to waive):

Jack Campbell 40% retained (3M)
Ryan McLeod (2.1M)
Cody Ceci (3.25M)
Xavier Bourgault (AHL)
Draft pick
CAP: 8.35M

for

Jake Allen (3.85M)
Sean Monahan (2M)
Campbell retention (2M)
Recall Broberg - 863,333K
CAP 8.713333M (possible to fit in a few weeks)

This weakens the Oilers defense, but they could possibly make another deal to add a D-man. Monahan is an upgrade on McLeod. The Habs could then flip Campbell to another team - retaining a bit of his cap hit - so he can be a backup at 1.5 or 2M cap hit (try PIT for instance). The Habs could also just buy him out.
Lol were effectively paying allen almost 6 million when hes barely better than Campbell. Lol what fresh hell is this and I didnt even include giving them Xavier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad